2 replies to this topic

#1 anytime now

anytime now
  • Cyclebase
  • 2561 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:33 AM

I'm 42 this month, and about to do my next IVF

With my first IVF, I wasn't informed of the risks of assisted hatching.I now understand that the risk for identical twins seems higher, but don't know what percentage of risk this would be

I also don't know how this compares to the chances of my 42 year old eggs not hatching if left to their own devices.

This info would be helpful to make an informed decision.

My last IVF was done at a different clinic, with AH. Would most embryologists have notes on how tough the zona was, to know if AH was really needed? Should I ask this clinic to contact their embryology dept?

Any help with this decision would be appreciated. I am concerned about twins, but much more so identical twins as I understand these pregnancies can be more complicated.

Lastly, I understand that daily updates on embryo status is not routinely provided at my current clinic. This makes me very nervous. Is it reasonable to request this if it isn't the normal standard of care?

Thanks,

A.N.
Me: 44 (sigh) DB is 40 (Dear boyfriend!)

TTC from March 2009-March 2011 before DB had arrived on the scene
About 9 IUIs, 3 IVFs total

2 pregnancies with 7 week miscarriage requiring D&C
2 chemical pregnancies

April 2011 began a relationship now with a wonderful guy with an 8 year old son.
Sept 2011 Natural BFP while trying not to conceive (how ironic)
First Beta Day 15 from LMP was 851, Beta 4, 19 days post ovulation 5382
7wk US showed a heartbeat of 150! 9 wk US HB 185

May 19 2012 DS is born!!

#2 Peter

Peter

Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3061 posts
  • Interests:Stem cells, cord blood and infertility
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:The Bridge Clinic, Lagos, Nigeria

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:08 AM

With my first IVF, I wasn't informed of the risks of assisted hatching.I now understand that the risk for identical twins seems higher, but don't know what percentage of risk this would be

The incidence of identical twins associated with AH is extremely low in fact very little data are available

I also don't know how this compares to the chances of my 42 year old eggs not hatching if left to their own devices.

This depends on your past history

My last IVF was done at a different clinic, with AH. Would most embryologists have notes on how tough the zona was, to know if AH was really needed?

This may be recorded in your notes

Should I ask this clinic to contact their embryology dept?

It might be helpful

Any help with this decision would be appreciated. I am concerned about twins, but much more so identical twins as I understand these pregnancies can be more complicated.

Not necessarily, it's just twin pregnancies of any description which carry slightly higher risks

Lastly, I understand that daily updates on embryo status is not routinely provided at my current clinic. This makes me very nervous. Is it reasonable to request this if it isn't the normal standard of care?

You need to ask your clinic about this if it is important to you. In general terms most embryologists are more than happy to talk about the embryos in their care.

Good luck!

Peter

Thanks,

A.N.

www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com

#3 anytime now

anytime now
  • Cyclebase
  • 2561 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 20 October 2010 - 05:43 PM

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response!
I met with my RE today. Turns out that they don't believe in Assisted Hatching so looks like I was concerned for nothing...But I was able to get assurances that they can let me know about my embryos daily. Thanks so much for letting me know that seemed reasonable.

A.N.

It would be great if you could use Italics to distinguish your response from the questions

The incidence of identical twins associated with AH is extremely low in fact very little data are available

This depends on your past history

My last IVF was done at a different clinic, with AH. Would most embryologists have notes on how tough the zona was, to know if AH was really needed?

This may be recorded in your notes

Should I ask this clinic to contact their embryology dept?

It might be helpful

Not necessarily, it's just twin pregnancies of any description which carry slightly higher risks

You need to ask your clinic about this if it is important to you. In general terms most embryologists are more than happy to talk about the embryos in their care.

Good luck!

Peter

Thanks,

A.N.

Me: 44 (sigh) DB is 40 (Dear boyfriend!)

TTC from March 2009-March 2011 before DB had arrived on the scene
About 9 IUIs, 3 IVFs total

2 pregnancies with 7 week miscarriage requiring D&C
2 chemical pregnancies

April 2011 began a relationship now with a wonderful guy with an 8 year old son.
Sept 2011 Natural BFP while trying not to conceive (how ironic)
First Beta Day 15 from LMP was 851, Beta 4, 19 days post ovulation 5382
7wk US showed a heartbeat of 150! 9 wk US HB 185

May 19 2012 DS is born!!