• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tmariederm

tmariederm
  • Cyclebase
  • 811 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 18 October 2010 - 04:25 PM

Help, wondering if an ICSI done 24 hrs after retrieval yields an okay Embryo? Not sure why we needed this in the first place since we didn't need it last time but I need to know the reality of the situation. I had a 9wk miscarriage last time, I am not sure I can go through with transfer if there are not good chances of having a healthy embryo. Does a last minute ICSI truly work well? Thanks
"To accomplish great things, we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe." Anatole France

#2 Peter

Peter

Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3061 posts
  • Interests:Stem cells, cord blood and infertility
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:The Bridge Clinic, Lagos, Nigeria

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:22 AM

Help, wondering if an ICSI done 24 hrs after retrieval yields an okay Embryo?

This is what most embryologist term 'rescue icsi' and is usually used when there is failed fertilisation with ivf. It does produce embryos and pregnancies but the success rates are lower than fresh ICSI.

Not sure why we needed this in the first place since we didn't need it last time but I need to know the reality of the situation.

You need to ask your clinic why this was used. I assume that it was for the reason above.

I had a 9wk miscarriage last time,

Have you had a clotting screen and immunology screen? If not that might be worth doing before your next embryo transfer.

I am not sure I can go through with transfer if there are not good chances of having a healthy embryo. Does a last minute ICSI truly work well?

See above, if you get embryos then they are always worth transferring.

Good luck!

Peter

Thanks

www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com