#1 ---

---
  • 1000+
  • 1668 posts
  • Interests:recovering from pretentious nonsense
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 17 October 2010 - 10:03 PM

Dr.Hollands, Welcome back !

I am in the 2WW (it never gets easier) and I am working on a PlanB, (it always helps)here is my question and a bit of info on me.

I am 41.5, Just did a fresh cycle, with my own eggs and transferred 4AA and 3AA. I had 15 top quality embryos. Not bad for an old girl with low FSH, but a host of poc, graves and immune/clotting problems.(All now being adressed)

If this does cycle does not work,(I am bleeding so it's doubtful) I have perhaps 3 FET's to fall back on. Historically I do not do well with FET's (bfn + checmical with top qualitiy blasts/ embryos).

Here is my question :

My youngest frozen embryo is a re-frozen 4AA top quality blast. It was originally frozen as a top quality embryo (three in a straw). They were all grown out to 4AA quality blasts, we transferred two. I became pregnant with twins but m/c the twins due to 'not yet known'immune issues at the time. I don't think anyone expected for the three embryos from a 40 year old woman (at the time) to grow and become three 4AA blasts so I had the 'extra' 4AA refrozen. Question:

If this 4AA Blast survives the thaw process, does it warrant being transferred ?

I have only found four successful reports of refrozen blasts that were transferred (Oxford jounals/PubMed) involving humans. I would imagine that part of the reason for the lack of data is due to the fact that this would not be an ideal senario for an embryo to go through in the first place. If this blast survives the thaw process, I would like to transfer it. My Clinic would like further data. Can I please get your opinion on the matter and where I might be able to find info on other clinics who have been involved with re-frozen embryos/blasts? (I have come across some UK sites where ladies have talked about re-freezing their embryos but I have no offical data).

This is not my expertise, but my mind is crying out 'Survival of the Fittest'.

FYI- This was not frozen (either at embryo or blast ) using vitrification.
- I also have two other blasts,4 embryos, albeit older (1 year) and none of them are of as high a quality as the refrozen 4AA Blastocyst.

Thank you so much for your time,
Stacy

#2 Peter

Peter

Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3061 posts
  • Interests:Stem cells, cord blood and infertility
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:The Bridge Clinic, Lagos, Nigeria

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:36 AM

Dr.Hollands, Welcome back !

Thank you!

I am in the 2WW (it never gets easier) and I am working on a PlanB, (it always helps)here is my question and a bit of info on me.

I am 41.5, Just did a fresh cycle, with my own eggs and transferred 4AA and 3AA. I had 15 top quality embryos. Not bad for an old girl with low FSH, but a host of poc, graves and immune/clotting problems.(All now being adressed)

If this does cycle does not work,(I am bleeding so it's doubtful) I have perhaps 3 FET's to fall back on. Historically I do not do well with FET's (bfn + checmical with top qualitiy blasts/ embryos).

Here is my question :

My youngest frozen embryo is a re-frozen 4AA top quality blast. It was originally frozen as a top quality embryo (three in a straw). They were all grown out to 4AA quality blasts, we transferred two. I became pregnant with twins but m/c the twins due to 'not yet known'immune issues at the time. I don't think anyone expected for the three embryos from a 40 year old woman (at the time) to grow and become three 4AA blasts so I had the 'extra' 4AA refrozen. Question:

If this 4AA Blast survives the thaw process, does it warrant being transferred ?

Yes as long as you develop a healthy endometrium at the time of embryo transfer and all of your other issues are controlled

I have only found four successful reports of refrozen blasts that were transferred (Oxford jounals/PubMed) involving humans. I would imagine that part of the reason for the lack of data is due to the fact that this would not be an ideal senario for an embryo to go through in the first place.

It is also because refreezing is relatively rare.

If this blast survives the thaw process, I would like to transfer it. My Clinic would like further data.

Why? What sort of data?

Can I please get your opinion on the matter and where I might be able to find info on other clinics who have been involved with re-frozen embryos/blasts?

I have been involved in a few over the years and the results have, in general terms, been good.

(I have come across some UK sites where ladies have talked about re-freezing their embryos but I have no offical data).

This is not my expertise, but my mind is crying out 'Survival of the Fittest'.

I htink you are correct. The best embryo gives you the best chance of success assuming there are no serious maternal issues.

Good luck!

Peter

FYI- This was not frozen (either at embryo or blast ) using vitrification.
- I also have two other blasts,4 embryos, albeit older (1 year) and none of them are of as high a quality as the refrozen 4AA Blastocyst.

Thank you so much for your time,
Stacy

www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com