• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ReneeD

ReneeD
  • 39 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Belgium

Posted 17 October 2010 - 09:36 PM

Hello! I am 42 years old and am doing IVF for the 1st time in mid November in Belgium. My only reproductive issue is a logistical one, i.e. a tubal ligation; my significant other checks out as A++. I was wondering if you had any thoughts regarding studies on melatonin and egg quality (I have AMH of 16.1 and FSH very low, around 5 and definitely under 10 I think but can't recall and didn't write it down at the time because I didn't understand the significance of it, oops). As far as I can tell without being able to lay my hands on the actual study, I would start 3mg/night of melatonin on day 5 of my cycle (i.e. having started BCP on day 1)just prior to IVF. Given my age I know that egg quality is going to be my challenge (I have also been popping copious amounts of Coenzyme Q10 pills for the last 6 months). Could following this protocol hurt anything? I noticed that I can buy 3mg of melatonin at a local health food store so I don't think it would be difficult to do.

Thanks so much in advance!!!

Renee D
http://myover40ivfjo...y.blogspot.com/
Started 1st IVF
Target ER - Dec 2010
ER - December 7 2010 - 9 eggs retrieved
ET - December 9, 2010 - only 5 mature, only 2 fertilized due to egg quality issues; both fertilized eggs transferred but of mediocre quality
Beta - December 23

www.myover40ivfjourney.blogspot.com

#2 longingstar

longingstar
  • Cyclebase
  • 71 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Genesis/VFC

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:18 AM

Hello! I am 42 years old and am doing IVF for the 1st time in mid November in Belgium. My only reproductive issue is a logistical one, i.e. a tubal ligation; my significant other checks out as A++. I was wondering if you had any thoughts regarding studies on melatonin and egg quality (I have AMH of 16.1 and FSH very low, around 5 and definitely under 10 I think but can't recall and didn't write it down at the time because I didn't understand the significance of it, oops). As far as I can tell without being able to lay my hands on the actual study, I would start 3mg/night of melatonin on day 5 of my cycle (i.e. having started BCP on day 1)just prior to IVF. Given my age I know that egg quality is going to be my challenge (I have also been popping copious amounts of Coenzyme Q10 pills for the last 6 months). Could following this protocol hurt anything? I noticed that I can buy 3mg of melatonin at a local health food store so I don't think it would be difficult to do.

Renee D

Here is a study that my Naturopathic Physician gave to me. I spoke to my RE about the study and he said there was no conclusive evidence that it makes a difference but it certainly could. He said he was ok with me trying it.

Effect of the treatment with myo-inositol plus folic acid plus melatonin in comparison with a treatment with myo-inositol plus folic acid on oocyte quality and pregnancy outcome in IVF cycles. A prospective, clinical trial.
Rizzo P, Raffone E, Benedetto V.
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Messina, Messina, Italy. [email protected]
Abstract
OBJECTIVE: The aim of the study was to evaluate the efficacy of a treatment with myo-inositol plus folic acid plus melatonin compared with myo-inositol plus folic acid alone on oocyte quality in women underwent in vitro fertilization (IVF) cycles.
DESIGN: A prospective, clinical trial.
MATERIALS AND METHODS: Starting on the day of GnRH administration, 65 women undergoing IVF cycles were randomized in two groups to receive myo-inositol plus folic acid plus melatonin (32 women, group A), and myo-inositol plus folic acid (33 women, group B), administered continuously. Primary endpoints were number of morphologically mature oocytes retrieved (MII oocytes), embryo quality, and pregnancy rate. Secondary endpoints were the total number of oocytes retrieved (immature and mature oocytes), fertilization rate per number of retrieved oocytes and embryo cleavage rate.
RESULTS: The mean number of oocytes retrieved did not differ between the two groups (7.88 +/- 1.76 vs 7.67 +/- 1.88; P=0.65). Whereas the group cotreated with melatonin reported a significantly greater mean number of mature oocytes (6.56 +/- 1.64 vs 5.76 +/- 1.56; P=0.047) and a lower mean number of immature oocytes (1.31 +/- 0.74 vs. 1.91 +/- 0.68; P=0.001). The mean number of embyos of top-quality (class 1 and 2) resulted higher in the group A (1.69 +/- 0.64 vs 1.24 +/- 0.75; P=0.01). Fertilization rate did not differ between the two groups. A total of 22 pregnancies were obtained (13 in group A and 9 in group B; P=0.26). Clinical pregnancy rate and implantation rate were in tendency higher in the group cotreated with melatonin, although the differences did not reach statistical significance. Biochemical pregnancy rate and abortion rate were similar in both groups.
CONCLUSION: melatonin ameliorates the activity of myo-inositol and folic acid by improving oocyte quality and pregnancy outcome in women with low oocyte quality history.
Me 40 DH 40
TTC since 2007
ME Stage 4 Old/Endo/DOR/poor quality eggs
DH Perfect :)
3 IUI 4 IVF
3rd IVF HPT 1 M/C 12 weeks April 2010
Chemical Aug 2010

HPT Natural June 2011
7 wk U/s HB 130
Aug 30 NT Scan
Anatomy Scan Oct 17
Perfect baby BOY HB 155
Measures a full week ahead 20wk 3 days
Due Date March 10 2012

Posted Image

#3 Peter

Peter

Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3061 posts
  • Interests:Stem cells, cord blood and infertility
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:The Bridge Clinic, Lagos, Nigeria

Posted 18 October 2010 - 11:52 AM

Hi Renee,

Melatonin may or may not be useful in your case. What is more important is that you don't take any medication other than that prescribed to you during the treatment cycle. If you take any unprescribed substance then it may cross react with your prescribed medication and have an adverse effect on your treatment cycle. In brief: talk to your physician before taking any supplements.

Good luck!

Peter

Renee D

www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com

#4 ReneeD

ReneeD
  • 39 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Belgium

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:19 PM

Thanks to both of you for your comments! I have sent a note to my RE to see what she thinks....perhaps I am starting to overanalyze all of this far too much! :-)

Renee
Started 1st IVF
Target ER - Dec 2010
ER - December 7 2010 - 9 eggs retrieved
ET - December 9, 2010 - only 5 mature, only 2 fertilized due to egg quality issues; both fertilized eggs transferred but of mediocre quality
Beta - December 23