1 reply to this topic

#1 KrissyH

KrissyH
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:01 PM

Hi Dr. Said,

My husband and I are current patients at ReproMed and we have undergone 2 fresh IVF/ICSI cycles and two frozen cycles with no success. I am 30 years old and have no fertility problems. My husband is 29 and has low numbers in all of the categories of the sperm analysis. Dr. D said that sperm donation is probably our best option at this point. However, in the past we have created some good embryos and we are not ready to give up our dream of having a biological child. Is there any testing that we can do with you at ReproMed to actually find the cause for my husband's sperm problem beyond the sperm analysis and an ultrasound? My husband had a hernia operation when he was 5 and we were told by our family doctor that this could be the cause of the infertility, but we have never had anything confirmed. We are also interested in knowing if there is any chromosome testing or anything like that that could help us have success with IVF.

Thank you so much for your help!

#2 Dr. Tamer Said

Dr. Tamer Said
  • Scientific Advisor
  • 134 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:ReproMed

Posted 10 September 2010 - 09:07 AM

This is a very intriguing situation.

Defective sperm production could occur as a complication of hernia repair as well as many other surgeries in the inguinal area. Interruption of the blood supply to the testicles is usually the reason for this problem. The presence of sperm is your husband's ejaculate is very encouraging. The focus now should be on the quality of these spermatozoa. Since you have been using IVF/ICSI, the number of sperm numbers is of lesser importance compared to the actual quality.

Based on your description, it appears that the embryos are not developing very well. This problem could be attributed at least in part to the sperm. I would like to review your embryology and semen analysis reports in order to identify if any further investigations (including genetics, DNA fragmentation and antisperm antibodies) are warranted. Feel free to share your name using my email below and I will circle back to you with more specifc opinion.

Best wishes.

:)
Tamer M. Said, MD, PhD, HCLD(ABB)
Director, Andrology Laboratory & Reproductive Tissue Bank
The Toronto Institute for Reproductive Medicine - ReproMed
56 Aberfoyle Crescent, Suite 300
Toronto, ON M8X 2W4
Email: [email protected]