- - - - -

July discussion

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 09:29 AM

Thought I would start a new chain for a new month!
July is here and as soon as AF comes...I call in to the clinic to get a date to start my BCPs.
DH and I were hoping for one last kick at the proverbial can this week by conceiving naturally. I have been taking my temp every am and still no ovulation spike :(
I should have seen it go up last Monday approx :(
Maybe I am at the point where I am not ovulating every month anymore. Being 41 I suppose that happens. Every month up until now there was a spike around day 15ish. That would be our luck...gotta shell out alot of cash... :dontknow:

Debi

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 01:12 PM

Well my transfer went well and now I am on the 2WW. :bang: I go for my Beta on July 14. :banana: It seems like so far away. This has to work, it just has to. I just keep thinking good thoughts. Well I think I am going to park my but on the couch and watch some TV. :beach: Talk to you ladies soon.
:flowers:

Cindy :grouphug2:

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 02:18 PM

Glad everything went well Cindy!
Relax and let it happen...try not to obsess about it. Easy for me to say :laugh:
A co-worker of mine went thru the program and said (after the third attempt) she just carried on with life normally and that was the time it worked for her.
July 14th will be here b4 you know it.
Sending sticky baby dust your way,
Debi

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 05:23 PM

Hi everyone,

Hope you all had a great long weekend...back to the grind again tomorrow :(

Debi - If its any consolation, I'm 27 and I still don't know if I ovulate every month. I am having my first serophene - free month in almost a year and I am hoping that with the help of the ACU I started 4 weeks ago, that I will at least have a normally timed cycle and presumably ovulate (normally I can range from 32-40 days). I join you in our last "kick at the can", before our first IVF appointment. Hang in there!

Cindy - I think Debi has a point, once you are feeling up to it, try to maintain some semblence of "normal", it will help make the time go faster. Easy for me to say though, right?! I'm sending positive and sticky thoughts your way!!

Take care,

Jillian

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 06:08 PM

Hi Debi,

Like you I am waiting for Af to show her ugly face. For the last 18+months my cycles have been 26-29 days however today is day 40 and there are no signs of her arrival. :wall:

The longest cycle I have had since ttc was 42 days, needless to say I don't always ovulate on or around day 14. My RE told me about the kit "Ovulation Predictor Kit". It comes with a microscope, 6 slides and an information pamphlet. The idea is you put salvia on the slide and let it dry then view under the microscope. "When the estrogen level peaks, 1-2 days before ovulation, saliva or cercal fluid samples will appear completely ferned or crystallized" It is kind of interesting watching how things change as you get closer to ovulaion and hey, it can get rid of all that unnecessary 'baby sex', :thumbup: you will actually know when you are about to ovulate!

Here is the web site that is listed in the pamphlet www.ovu-tra.com

Cindy, glad things went smoothly and hope the next 2ww goes quickly and is just as smooth. Positive thinking!

MJ :flowers:

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 12:31 PM

I have one of those. I used up the LH urine strips pretty quick and they are expensive to buy. I have the saliva thingy (which can be difficult to read if you are pre-menopausal) and do my Basal temp every am. My temp finally spiked this am! 7 days late!@#$%^&

Debi

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:13 PM

Well ladies.. had my first meeting to sign the IVF/ICSI papers today... Felt really good that things are finally moving forward in some way and I found Dr. K. really good, positive and humourous... it was a little awkward going in there and in the end we walked out with a smile on our faces.

Now it is just the wait to find out which month we start the BCP and then off to the races.

I also have to go for the HyCoSy... Jillian Jay.. how did you say it was?
Was it painful in the end?

I am hoping the 4-6 month wait to start will go by quickly but maybe I should be taking some more yoga classes to keep me focussed on other things for the next couple of months. (and to take my mind off the money and the "are you pregnant yet" comments that my friends seem to be making more frequently lately)

Cindy.. how are you feeling... hope that things are going well..not too much longer to wait ..

Debi - I can relate... the temp spike for me varies quite greatly but because we have male factor I pretty much have given up having baby sex. Is that crazy??? Being hopeful can really be painful to me.

Well, I should sign off and head to bed but just wanted to let you know about the appointment.
Take care everyone,
A.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:08 AM

Hey Laides,

Just wanted to share with you a story in regards to that Preditor Kit Mary Jo mentioned. A colleague that I used to work with was introduced to this kit by her new co-workers. These co-workers were using the kit as a method of contraceptive. So, my colleague decided that she would try it out and get off the pill. Well, guess what? She got pregnant the very first month of using it. She now has a 5month old boy. She took it hard in the beggining since she wasn't planning on having any more kids (she has a 13 and a 5 year old). She doing fine now and is enjoying her maternity leave. As well, a new co-worker of mine was having trouble conceiving as well and she used the Clear Blue Predictor Kit. It's quite expensive but it worked for her on the second month and she also said that it worked for many of her friends. I wish that timing was our only problem!

Munrea - how exciting that you have signed the papers. We get to do that on July 15!.

Hope everone is doing great.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 July 2005 - 09:11 AM

Baby sex, :lol:
I hear ya, "A"! I have pretty much given up on it too but I have to keep DH thinking he still might have "the silver bullet" His words not mine! Last night was our last "try" and I am not holding my breathe. First we had to kiss and make up as it has been a wee bit stressful in our house. I tend not to talk about what I am going thru emotionally as I don't want to burden him. I am stressing over the money, the procedures, the possibility of multiples, the hormonal mood swings, the bloating, the potential complications etc etc. Being a nurse has it's drawbacks. One of my g/fs also works in the clinic, sooooo... I hear about all the 40 yr old failures :( Actually she has started to give me positive stats, lately :) . DH senses that I am stuffing things down and prods it out of me. We go thru this on a monthly basis. I would like to be more open with him but I don't want him worrying, too. I realize that it is both of us going thru this but I have been known to be nasty with him "All you have to do is show up and give a specimen!" Like putting him thru a reversal wasn't enough?!
Personally, I think I will be glad when it is all over. What a ride!
Speaking of rides, we will be spending a week at Wonderland, de-stressing b4 we get down to business. Just what the doc would order I am sure! I was even stressing over the potential of having to do injections while on vacation. One less thing to worry about, I should be on the BCPs by then. :beach:
Usually it takes about 4-6 mos from the time you sign until you get your introductory class and then you call in with your Day 1 the month after the class.
What is a HyCoSy? :dontknow: I am assuming it is a hysterosalpingogram. It is a little crampy when they put the catheter thru your cervix and you get a mild bloaty feeling when they inject the dye but that is all.

Debi

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:55 AM

Hey girls, 8 more days to go!! :banana: I can`t believe how slow the days are going. I want to know now. I just would like a little hint of what is going on in there. This is our only chance of doing this because of the cost, our insurance doesn`t cover it. Dr. Kotarba did my transfer and she is so down to earth. When they put them in, she said `here they come mommy`. :wub: Well I just lost it there, it was so nice to hear that word from someone, I just really hope it works. Well I will talk to you all soon. :flowers:

Cindy :grouphug2:

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 08:15 AM

Good Morning!

Cindy - you almost made me cry too with what Dr. K said. I really hope it works out for you and dh. Are you feeling anything at all? The 14th will be here in no time. I am counting the days for the 15th! I am sending you lot's of baby dust. :pray:

Hope everyone else is doing well. DH is getting his results today for his ultrasound that he did to check for varricocels. I can't wait to hear what the urologist has to say. Hopefully he won't try to convince DH to get operated if needed.

I will check back again later.

Hope everyone has a nice day. :banana:

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:25 PM

DH just got back from his appointment with the urologist. The urologist he went to see has nothing to do with the Fertility Centre. DH went to get his results from his ultrasound to check for varicoceles. So, the urologist said that he did have varicoceles but didn’t really say if they were big or small or if he had lot’s or just a few. The urologist says that 75% of the people who do the operation will get improved count and all that and will be able to get their wifes pregnant. Dr. Haebe on the other hand says that there’s no literature that actually says that your count and all that will improve if you operate for varicoceles. I asked DH if he was leaning towards the urologist again and he said “no” that he just doesn’t know what to believe. The urologist wants DH to do another sperm count test but I told him that we would be getting the results from Dr. Haebe on the one he did at the Fertility Centre so that it was pointless in doing it again. I really don’t know what to do myself. I just want to forget about this urologist and go ahead with Dr. Haebe. Do you ladies have any thoughts? As well, those who are dealing with or dealt with Male Infertility – did you ever go through this whole varicocele thing? Damn, I don’t even know how to spell it! AHHHHHHHHHH!

Thanks!

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:13 PM

HI everyone.

want2bamom - I have my next appt at the clinic on July 15th too. WE are just going over my recent test results and discussing IUI. I know what the plan is BUT I'm glad to see her again and to see if my last blood work showed anything different.

munarea - I have Dr. Kotarba too. she is nice and pretty straight forward.

cindy - good luck with your IVF !!! lotsa sticky gooey baby dust to you. think positive and be happy and I pray that all works out for you. I think that is neat that she called you mommy. I really hope it works out for you.

SOOOOO here is my latest dilemma if you can call it that.... well Dr. K wants my dh to do another sperm test - the $200 one that they do at the clinic. WELL he doesnt feel that it is necessary to do it right now and I feel the same way. his first test showed that his spermies are fine. good count, quality etc. and I have been preg before because of him ( miscarriage ) They told me that my IUI would be done approx 3 months from now so we figure that we have atleast 2-3 cycles to try on our own before the first IUI and we just might get preg on our own - we have before. so we are going to wait to do the $200 test until right before IUI if we need to have it done. because it is money we are talking about right.

anyway

Jillian

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:00 PM

Hi,

Want2bamom - have you guys thought about getting a second opinion from another urologist? Maybe it's just me, but RE's are experts on women's fertility, not necessarily men's...so maybe it might be something to consider having someone else look at, just to be sure. 75% is quite a high number to be throwing out there if no literatures exists regarding improvements from the procedure...I don't know if this is more harm than help, but just my 2 cents. Or, perhaps you can voice your concern and arrange for a f/u appointment with the Urologist to discuss specifically research that promotes the procedure.

Jillianjay - the first test that they did on your DH - was it at the Parkdale clinic? Because I know that certain labs have more specialized equipment than others....for instance at Kingston General, they can only do a sperm count and quality, they can't get into real specifics. Whereas at Parkdale they can. I have heard of a couple of instances where one (less thorough lab) said the guy was fine, excellent etc., only to find out later that there were problems that couldn't be detected. If your DH's test was done at Parkdale, completely disregard....you're probably right in not doing another. Again, just my 2 cents!

Hope everyone is doing well.

Cindy - sending sticky vibes your way...hang in there!

Hi to everyone else.

Take care,

Jillian

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 09:32 PM

Hi again.

Jillian :D - I know what you mean by the more advanced test. he has not done the one at the Parkdale clinic, that is the $200 one. he did the regular simple one and it was fine... the reason I want to wait and possibly save ourselves the $200 is because in the 3 month wait to have the IUI we MIGHT become preg on our own and that money is wasted... the only reason I am willing to chance it is that I have been preg before. I know that we can do it, it just takes a little long to get there... <_<
PLUS, my dh was out of the area most of the time since we saw Dr. K and you can only get an appt to give your "specimen" monday to friday and he was unable to get in there. he has been working out of town alot BUT luckily he was around for the big OV day.... :eggchick:

this cycle I bought an Ovulation Predictor Kit... so hopefully that helped us along.

if I get AF this cycle I am buying that Clear Blue Fertility Monitor, I'd rather spend $200 on that and try on our own before giving them the money to find out what we already know...

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:10 PM

Hi again.

Jillian  :D   - I know what you mean by the more advanced test. he has not done the one at the Parkdale clinic, that is the $200 one. he did the regular simple one and it was fine... the reason I want to wait and possibly save ourselves the $200 is because in the 3 month  wait to have the IUI we MIGHT become preg on our own and that money is wasted... the only reason I am willing to chance it is that I have been preg before. I know that we can do it, it just takes a little long to get there...  <_<
PLUS, my dh was out of the area most of the time since we saw Dr. K and you can only get an appt to give your "specimen" monday to friday and he was unable to get in there. he has been working out of town alot BUT luckily he was around for the big OV day....  :eggchick:

this cycle I bought an Ovulation Predictor Kit... so hopefully that helped us along.

if I get AF this cycle I am buying that Clear Blue Fertility Monitor, I'd rather spend $200 on that and try on our own before giving them the money to find out what we already know...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Jillian,

Totally agree....I wish we would have spent the $200 on the Clear Blue Fertility monitor - at the time I thought it was sooo expensive, and bought the one that does the saliva test instead (about $120 less). How ironic eh? Now we're looking at spending $1000's for IVF and we're more than willing (although do freak out a lot
at the cost!). BTW the saliva test one screwed me up more than it helped me - I had "ferns" for like 2 weeks straight - made me more confused than it actually helped.

Hopefully the Clearblue thing will be the best money you ever spent.....resulting in a BFP! :dance:

Good luck!

Take care,

Jillian

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:44 AM

Hi ladies... I am really excited about the papers and crossing our fingers for when to start -- we knew it was sperm factor (I had my family dr. check after 1 year) and dr. K. confirmed that both our hormones are ok so really really feel relieved that we will hopefully be just another 4-6 months to start.

I am doing the Hycosy to see if tubes are blocked because we can get coverage in Ontario... (but only doing this backwards cause we pretty much have no chance with the male factor)

JillianJay.. Dr. K. was great. positive, funny etc. My guy did his test at a normal lab, but we actually found his count was a little up but that his motility and morphology were lower than we thought.. so I think the $ 200 was worth it for us... but we haven't been preggers before. One good thing is that he did it at home last time, but this time they have an awesome room with some "specialized" magazines. My dh joked that he is looking forward to going back on ER day to see what new ones they have. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good luck with the ov predictor and hope it works the next few months!!!!

Cindy.. how are you doing .. thinking about you and those embies. I too almost cried when I read what you wrote about Dr. K's comments. Sticky baby dust to you!!

Debi.. I know what you mean about DH. He has a certain threshold for talking about this... i wonder what guys would be like if they had to go through the injections etc. Other women always joke about a man not being able to stand the pain of childbirth but imagine if they had to go through what we go through... maybe they would be talking about this stuff all the time if it was them -- Could you see them on the golf course... "yeah my swimmers aren't so good so we are taking drugs ... and the injections" . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Want2beamom.. it looks like we will probably be close in time periods.. here's looking to a cycle buddy!! About your earlier question, we didn't go through male factor testing... Vareocelles etc. . So sorry about that --no advice to give.

Hi to Jillian and Mary Jo. Hope you ladies are doing well!!

A.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 July 2005 - 10:45 AM

HI all.

Also in regards to doing the more expensive $200 sperm test, he will HAVE TO do it I'm sure, in order for us to do the IUI !! but we will just wait another month or so of trying on our own and THEN do the $$$ test. I just hope that they let us make th appt for the IUI - 3 months away - and then he can do the test a month before maybe.
thats just it, we have been preg before so that is the difference I guess !! I hope we wont have to do IUI but if we do then we do...

here's hoping for a BFP !!!

Jillian
age 32
dh - Jason
2 miscarriages
2 failed clomid cycles
next appt with Kotarba is July 15th

#19 Guest_Technicalglitch_*

Guest_Technicalglitch_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:37 PM

Hi Guys,

Just barging in with a note about ovulation predictor kits- I bought some sticks of the internet that work great and cost around 1/10 of the sticks that you buy in the local pharmacies. I'm pretty sure this link: http://www.saveontes...m/Ovulation.htm is the place where I bought mine from (but I might have bookmarked more than one site! But there are lots of sites out there that sell them). They cost around $1.50 each after the exchange rate and customs fee, and they work just as well as the pricey ones. They're the kind that you dip rather than pee on directly, but to save around $10 a day that sure doesn't bother me! :P

TG

#20 Stitch

Stitch
  • 52 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Ottawa Fertility Centre

Posted 09 July 2005 - 10:02 AM

Good Morning Ladies!!

Debi, Angie: after you guys mentioning this board the other night at Woody's, I thought I should check it out!

Here I am and I'm glad I found you :dance:

Hope all is well. Deb, I think I saw you walking by the house yesterday. You were gone around the corner by the time I realized it was you!

14 days till paper signing appointment with Dr. H. Very exciting!!
Sheryl

ME: 36 DH: 41
TTC 10 years total
Unexplained
6 Months of clomid
4 Unsuccessful Medicated IUI's
IVF #1 - Feb 2006 - DS Born Oct 2006
IVF #2 - April 2008 - Cancelled
IVF #3 - June 2008 - BFP on Aug 7th - M/C Aug 20th
IVF #4 - Dec 2008/Jan 2009 - starting BCP Dec 18th! Here we go again!
Jan 22, 2009 - 15 eggs retrieved, 10 mature, 8 fertilized
Jan 27, 2009 - transferred 1 grade 3 eb and 1 grade 3 cm
Feb 9, 2009 - BFP - Beta 966!!!
Feb 27, 2009 - u/s - 2 embryos, only 1 w/hb - vanishing twin :(
April 13, 2009 - u/s - 1 happy little one with hb of 160. Everything on track - Due October 15th, 2009!!
August 24th - u/s - cervix shortening - not good
Sept 3rd - u/s to confirm if any changes. possible bed rest for remainder of pregnancy
Sept 22nd, 2009 - Baby Girl born at 6:49am 5lbs 1oz!
-----
May 7th, 2010 - OMG Naturally Pregnant!?!? (Still in shock!) Due December 27th, 2010

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 July 2005 - 03:34 PM

Hi Sheryl,
Yup it was me! And DH and the dogs! We occasionally walk up that far as the dogs get bored with us walking the same streets over and over again!
Talk to you soon,
Debi

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 10 July 2005 - 12:39 PM

Hi Ladies,

After 47 days AF finally decided to show up, and not only did she come but I think she invited the whole family. :ouch: My cycles have been fairly regular, no signs that it would soon be here( my husband says that I'm moody but I don't believe him :angry: ) and pretty painfree however today I swear there is a :mf_swordfight: going on down there. Just got off :phone: from letting Calgary know of my visitor. I just have to wait to see when they are going to let me start the BCP. All info, test results and signed papers are signed sealed and delivered so as usuall it is a hurry up and wait game.

Cindy hope things are going well during your 2ww, just a couple more days till your results. Good luck

Hope everyone has had a lovely weekend.

Mary Jo

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:44 AM

Morning girls!
Wow, Mary Jo 47 days...eek! :ouch: Mine is due tomorrow and hopefully it isn't too late. Usually I go 30 days between. Last month was 34 days.
I walked over to the clinic yesterday ( was at the hosp. anyway) as I was worried that AF would rear her ugly head while I was on vacation (we leave Saturday) and how would I get my BCPs!!! Luckily Dr. Claman was sitting in his office (must have been doing lunch between procedures) and he handed me a pack! YAY!!! :D But, knowing my luck I will not start AF until after we are back :( giving me false hope that we conceived naturally of course and forcing me to waste another prego test.
Crossing my fingers that they can fit me into this month's schedule,

Debi

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 01:56 PM

Hi gang,

I'm a newbie on this board. We are doing IVF at Parkdale this fall with Dr. Claman. It's been a long road TTC and we're pretty anxious to get started!

We'd love to hear about some of your successes.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 03:59 PM

Welcome Yellow...
No success for us to report as of yet.. we just signed papers and are waiting to find out what month we get to start. (details above)

Silly, Debi.. great seeing you both last thurs. I had a fantastic birthday - thanks for asking.. really relaxing.. got my hair done, had brekkie with my best friend and her two little guys and then went to the bluesfest after a bbq with my friends. Couldn't ask for a better weekend!!

How is it going Cindy.. can't believe it is almost here..

Hi to everyone else.. hope everyone is doing fine.

Take care all,
Angie