8 replies to this topic

#1 lovetobeamommy

lovetobeamommy
  • 88 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Mount Sinai - Toronto

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:14 PM

Hello,

My husband and I tried IVF with ICSI in June and not 1 of our embryos reached the stage they should have by day 5. They were able to retrieve 13 eggs and 8 fertilized, by day 5 only 4 survived and out of the 4 not one of them was where it should have been. We've recently found out that my husband has a balanced translocation, he also has low sperm count and poor morphology, I am just wondering if this could be the cause of the embryos not reaching the stage? Is there a chance that we could succeed with IVF or would we be waisting our time and money if we tried it again?
Me 29 DH 27
TTC # 2 Years

IVF#1
AF: May 4th
B/W: May 5th
U/S: May 6th
BCP: May 6th
Start suprefact: May 22nd
Last BCP: May 26th
U/S & B/W: May 31st
Start stims: June 1st
ER: June 12th
ET: June 15th or June 17th, not sure yet!
BETA: Approximately June 26th

#2 RTM

RTM
  • Global 100+
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:10 PM

i am so sorry it didn't work out for you....i was at Mt. Sinai and the same thing happened to me, retrieved 21 eggs, 17 fertilized, 10 made it to day 5 but they were not where they should be. i was on long protocol, i had high e2 levels. i think this was what our problem was...when i went for the follow up they told me that the possibilities of what went wrong were, perhaps it is the egg, perhaps it is the sperm, could be the lab and there was something else but I can't remember.

i hope you find your answers, i am sure there are other ladies that have had hubbies with the same issues on the board.

i hope you get your BFP soon. :hug:
Trying to conceive since 2008
Dx - Male Factor - Varicoceles
November 2009 - IUI #1 - BFN - Found out HB's sperm count was only 90,000 after the was and they needed a million
Feb/Mar/Apr - IVF #1 - BFN
Suprefact, Gonal F, some HCG drug
E2 Levels were high from the start - were never suppressed enough, drs went ahead with cycle anyways
21 Eggs Retrieved
17 Fertilized with ICSI
10 embies on day 3 and 4
day 5 "all embies slowed in development" transfered 2 morulas, one cavitating - me OHSS
April 5th - Aunt Flo
New clinic - MFC
Tiny Septum but went again with cycle anyways.
August 2010 - IVF #2 BFN
menopur, puregon, orgalutron, HCG
E2 - were just where they were supposed to be - NO OHSS...what a relief!
10 eggs retrieved, 8 could use, 5 fertlized, 3 IVF and 2 ICSI'd
August 30 - Transfered 2 blastocyst 2/3 quality
starting spotting 5 days after transfer
Sept 10 - BETA - BFN
Immune Testing - with AEB center in the States...they found issues
Dec 2010 - surgery to remove small septum
Feb 2011 - Humira
April 2011 - Ivig and cycle
IVF#3
April 28 - [email protected] 9 fertilized all with ivf - transferred 2 blast 2/3 quality - nothing to freeze but they were watching many more this time so that's positive
May 10 - BFP - Beta 312 - hoping for an uneventful 9mos
May 31 - h/b 158
July 5 - 12wk u/s - saw baby sucking thumb!! :)
Aug 29 - 20wk u/s - continuing to stay positive! :)
Sept 12 - follow up everything is fine! heard baby's hb again - no need for ivig at this point - CD levels are good
Oct - 12 - no GD - low iron
Oct - 26 U/S - everything seems to be fine
Nov - 6, 23, Dec., Jan. - good follow ups

Our little miracle.
Posted Image

#3 lovetobeamommy

lovetobeamommy
  • 88 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 07:30 AM

i am so sorry it didn't work out for you....i was at Mt. Sinai and the same thing happened to me, retrieved 21 eggs, 17 fertilized, 10 made it to day 5 but they were not where they should be. i was on long protocol, i had high e2 levels. i think this was what our problem was...when i went for the follow up they told me that the possibilities of what went wrong were, perhaps it is the egg, perhaps it is the sperm, could be the lab and there was something else but I can't remember.

i hope you find your answers, i am sure there are other ladies that have had hubbies with the same issues on the board.

Thanks RTM, we were at Mt Sinai as well!
Me 29 DH 27
TTC # 2 Years

IVF#1

#4 hope4-1

hope4-1
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts
  • My Clinic:undecided

Posted 06 August 2010 - 06:33 PM

Thanks RTM, we were at Mt Sinai as well!

Hi Ladies,

This is my first ever post. I usually poke around looking to learn as much info as possible from everyone's experiences, super helpful. Anyhow, your post caught my attention as my DH and I recently went through our first IVF/ICSI as well. 8 eggs retrieved, 5 injected, 4 fertilized on day 2, and only one left to transfer on day 3...worse phone call ever came an hour before we were to head over for our transfer. Our one and only embryo had arrested as well.

Reading your posts certainly helped me to not feel terribly alone, as it seems several people manage to get to a transfer. The way I see it is that there obviously was something wrong and it was not healthy enough to continue to grow, perhaps a blessing not to have had it enter my body. I think it would have made it harder.

We have yet to go for our follow up with our RE to see why this happened, but I like you wonder if this is actually possible, or is it something that we will face due to poor sperm??? Perhaps I will learn whether or not there was an issue with egg quality as well. Everything was very positive on my end prior to procedure...you never know.

I wish you both the best of luck.

#5 babydust1

babydust1
  • 1000+
  • 1490 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:38 PM

Just want to pop in to tell you that I can very much relate and empathize with your experiences... As u can see from my signature, my first IVF yielded 15 eggs but only 2 fertlized. I was shocked and devastated and couldn't imagine that my second IVF cycle would produce worse results - 13 eggs and ZERO fertilization!! No way was I going to give up, though, so on to IVF cycle #3 (and a new protocol) we went... Third time was the charm: 15 eggs, 9 mature, 6 fertlized, a 5 day transfer of a blastocyst and a morula...and....a bfp. Right this very second, I am cradling a 2 week old babe in my arms! So don't give up hope!!!
  • Dbize1 likes this

#6 hope4-1

hope4-1
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 09:51 PM

OH WOW!! CONGRATULATIONS! Now those are the stories that truly inspire. You mentioned "new protocol" if you don't mind me asking, what did you do differently on the third cycle? I often wonder if there is something we should try differently the next time around.

Thanks for posting, especially being a new and busy mom I'm sure...it's greatly appreciated.[/font]

Just want to pop in to tell you that I can very much relate and empathize with your experiences... As u can see from my signature, my first IVF yielded 15 eggs but only 2 fertlized. I was shocked and devastated and couldn't imagine that my second IVF cycle would produce worse results - 13 eggs and ZERO fertilization!! No way was I going to give up, though, so on to IVF cycle #3 (and a new protocol) we went... Third time was the charm: 15 eggs, 9 mature, 6 fertlized, a 5 day transfer of a blastocyst and a morula...and....a bfp. Right this very second, I am cradling a 2 week old babe in my arms! So don't give up hope!!!

#7 babydust1

babydust1
  • 1000+
  • 1490 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 12 August 2010 - 10:52 AM

Hi Hope4-1,
It is truly my pleasure to help in any way I can. I have used this site religiously since I discovered it during my months of ttc and it has helped me sooo much. I love the emotional and educational advice that you can get from all the women here.
As for my new protocol...Basically we played around with different drugs and doses. For my first IVF, I was on a combination of Lupron, Gonal F and a little bit of menopur. We did not trigger until my E2 levels were super high (too high, really). After my negative cycle and beta, we switched clinics, hoping for better success.
For IVF #2, we used Orgalutron, Puregon and Repronex and triggered when my E2 levels were much lower. This cycle was a failure too... But, by IVF #3, my fs had a better understanding of my body, my response to drugs etc. This time, we did Orgalutron and ALL menopur (a med that is supposedly good for poor egg quality) and I also started the cycle at a higher dose because in the previous cycles, my E2 levels rose way too slowly for the first 5 or so days.
Aside from the medical protocol being different, I also tried acupuncture for the very first time, despite the fact that I was a big skeptic. Whether it helped or not is impossible to say, but if I were to go through everything again, I would definitely do it again! (I only went for 5 sessions...not a big financial investment...).

Best of luck to you...if you have any more questions, feel free to ask or you can PM me in case I don't check this thread.

Hang in there!!!
  • Hopefull39 likes this

#8 lovetobeamommy

lovetobeamommy
  • 88 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 07:51 PM

WOW that's great news that it worked the third time. The thing for us is we can't even afford to do it a second time, the clinic is 5 hours away so we have to pay for hotels and food and miss alot of work. If we do decide to do it again it won't be until next year because we really can't afford another 10.000 dollars, I wish we could but we can't!!! And now we found out that my husband has chromosomal defect, we are going to wait and speak to the Geneticist to see what he recommends. Thank you for the encouraging words it helps to know that some people are getting BFP!!!!
Me 29 DH 27
TTC # 2 Years

IVF#1

#9 hope4-1

hope4-1
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:48 AM

WOW that's great news that it worked the third time. The thing for us is we can't even afford to do it a second time, the clinic is 5 hours away so we have to pay for hotels and food and miss alot of work. If we do decide to do it again it won't be until next year because we really can't afford another 10.000 dollars, I wish we could but we can't!!! And now we found out that my husband has chromosomal defect, we are going to wait and speak to the Geneticist to see what he recommends. Thank you for the encouraging words it helps to know that some people are getting BFP!!!!

Hi lovetobeamommy,

I just had to ask...didn't your clinic have your husband do any genetic testing prior to your first IVF? Just curious because that was the first thing they asked my husband to do before continuing forward..I'd be surprised if they went forward without ruling out any chromosomal issues first.