average quality embryos

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 babywanted

babywanted
  • 83 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 13 July 2010 - 03:14 PM

I wanted to get some ideas on the success with average quality embryos.

We transferred 2 embryos, one eight cell 17/20 quality and 7 cell 17/20 (average quality) on day 3. We know the embryo grades are not very good, just wanted to know of our chances. Did anyone have success with "average" grade embryos?

Me 39, DH Poor Morphology
8 IUI  2 Chemical Pregnancies
2010: 1st IVF BFN

2nd IVF Pregnant!!! Daughter was born July 2011

2013: November

Positive Pregnancy test :) Expecting twins

#2 helenadc

helenadc
  • 128 posts
  • Dx:Vasectomy
  • My Clinic:Markham

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:50 AM

Hi babywanted.
Don't know the actual statistics on average vs excellent, but I'm 39 weeks pregnant with one of two average embryos. In my first two pregnancies, I had one "excellent" embryo and one "average" embryo at transfer and always assumed the excellent one was the one that "took" (though the second pregnancy resulted in miscarriage). When we transferred two "average" embryos this time I was convinced of failure, even after seeing a heartbeat at the first u/s. Its almost still hard for me to believe that we're about to have a baby from an average embryo, but it obviously happens since every test we've had has been normal!

(I don't know grading systems, but 17/20 is average? I would have thought that good ... our grading was different, and don't remember exactly what it was ... )

Good luck, I hope your average embryos stick and grow for you too,
Helena
Me 41, DH 48
Started TTC 2000 (Wow!)
Original problem male, turns out I had my issues too
2001/2002 2 IVF's, 1 cancelled - all BFN
2003/2004 Change clinics. 2 IVF's, 1 cancelled (I think ... so many cycles are getting fuzzy.) - all BFN
2004/2005 start using DS
1 IUI, 1IUI changed to IVF, 2 FET's - all BFN despite many gorgeous perfect embryos
2006/2007 looking for third/fourth/fifth opinions
2 more RE's say we're getting good care and they wouldn't change a thing
RE#5 removes septum and says go ahead with DH's stuff
IVF#1 with new cleaned out uterus gives us our first BFP!!! Beautiful DS born 2008. Love of our lives!
2009 FET with 1 embryo - BFN
IVF#2 with new cleaned out uterus - BFP! beautiful heartbeat at 7 weeks, spotting and no heartbeat at 12 weeks (we are so sad - we love you angel)
IVF#3 - another BFP! All u/s show baby doing well, another DS. EDD August 5, 2010. Second DS born August 1, 2010. All is well. We are so blessed!

#3 helenadc

helenadc
  • 128 posts
  • Dx:Vasectomy
  • My Clinic:Markham

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:53 AM

Sorry, I just noticed the date of your post, and realized you would have known already ... checked your posts and see you had a BFN. So sorry.
Helena
Me 41, DH 48
Started TTC 2000 (Wow!)
Original problem male, turns out I had my issues too
2001/2002 2 IVF's, 1 cancelled - all BFN
2003/2004 Change clinics. 2 IVF's, 1 cancelled (I think ... so many cycles are getting fuzzy.) - all BFN
2004/2005 start using DS
1 IUI, 1IUI changed to IVF, 2 FET's - all BFN despite many gorgeous perfect embryos
2006/2007 looking for third/fourth/fifth opinions
2 more RE's say we're getting good care and they wouldn't change a thing
RE#5 removes septum and says go ahead with DH's stuff
IVF#1 with new cleaned out uterus gives us our first BFP!!! Beautiful DS born 2008. Love of our lives!
2009 FET with 1 embryo - BFN
IVF#2 with new cleaned out uterus - BFP! beautiful heartbeat at 7 weeks, spotting and no heartbeat at 12 weeks (we are so sad - we love you angel)
IVF#3 - another BFP! All u/s show baby doing well, another DS. EDD August 5, 2010. Second DS born August 1, 2010. All is well. We are so blessed!