Public Service Health Care Plan Coverage - Page 4 - Healthcare Funding and Finances - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Public Service Health Care Plan Coverage

• Please log in to reply
444 replies to this topic

#76 Sandibeach

Sandibeach

Honorary PhD

• Cyclebase
  • 1840 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Mtl Fert / Ottawa Fert / Hannam Fert

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:08 PM

Can you provide the contract info at the NJC. Or do we write into Sunlife? I'm certainly prepared to write in, if more pressure is what it takes. I have a letter from them (Sunlife) from 2 years ago, before the quebec IVF - please let me know whom I should contact and I will send a letter off immediately. Sorry, I have no contacts for RAMQ in Quebec. I'm not sure why they need to contact them, it's all on their website, the detailed regulations... seems like a delay tactic..they can't blame someone else on not moving forward. I hope this is good news! Thanks for the update!!
ME-39 DH-39
TTC 9 years
Unexplained infertility / mild male factor
6 Cycles Clomid - BFN
1 Laproscopy
2 IUI's- BFN
1st IVF - April 2008 - M/C @ 6 wks - OFC
1st Beta 25, 2nd Beta 87, 3rd Beta 257 BFP
2nd IVF - January 2y009 - No transfer - OFC
ER 23 eggs, 20 mature, 17 fertilized - TOTAL EPIC FAILURE - ALL 17 Embies arrested in development by Day 5
3rd IVF - June 2009 - This is it! - New Clinic - Montreal Fertility Centre
ER: June 8th - 16 fertilized eggs (no frosties)
ET: June 11th (2 excellent 8cell) & 13th (1 perfect blast)
HPT++++
June 24 1st Beta: 312 BFP
June 26 2nd Beta: 682
July 13 US: Singleton HB 130
July 25 US: HB 175 saw fetus moving
Aug 8 US: HB 165 all perfect
Aug 17 US: HB 157 all perfect
Oct 5 US: It's a BOY!!!!
Born March 3, 2010 - Julien Tristan
May 2011 - Natural BFP - Ectopic
Now trying the old fashion way - Bust
4th IVF - Dec 2011 - Back to OFC
Jan 16 - ER 11 eggs - 3 mature, 2 fertilized (OFC f**ked up again - triggered me too soon)
Jan 18 - Emergency Day 2 ET - 2 4 cell embryo's transferred
Feb 2 - Beta - BFN
5th & Final IVF - July 2012 - 3rd opinion - Hannam Fertility
Satelitte monitoring at OFC
ER - July 24
ET - July 27
Beta - Aug 10
Transferred 3 perfect embryos - 1 blast frozen
Aug 6 - HPT ++++++
Aug 8th Beta - 225 BFP
Aug 10th Beta - 445
Aug 27th US ~ 1 perfect little bean HB 120
Sept 10th US - all good HB 162
Due Date: April 16th, 2013 It's a GIRL!!!
Born April 9th, 2013 - Amelia Danica

#77 brightmb

brightmb
  • Cyclebase
  • 60 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:HFC

Posted 19 January 2011 - 02:40 PM

This is the contact that responded to my inquiry:

D'thea Webster, ABC

PSHCP Administration Authority

Tel: 613 565-1762 x242

Fax: 613 565-2780

dwebster@pshcp.ca

And He/she received it from the following NJC Contact (via forwarded email):

Nicole.Pare@njc-cnm.gc.ca
Executive Committee
Public Service Health Care Plan Partners
Union-Management Relations Committee
DH- 36
ME-36
Married 12 years
TTC- 7+ years
IVF # 1- BFP DS born 2007
FET #1- BFN
FET #2 - BFN
FET #3- BFN
IVF # 2 - November 2010
Protocol:
BCP
Superfact November 8
First screening November 15
Egg Retrival December 2
8 Eggs retirived only 2 fertilized
December 4 (DH B-day) transferred 2
December 14 AF- BFN :-(

IVF# 3- August 2011
Superfact - August 5, 2011
First screening - August 18, 2011
Gonal F 300 and Luvaris -
17 Eggs retrieved- 13 Fertilized
Transferred 2grade B embryos 1-9 cell, 1-8cell
3 Frosties
September 11- Started what I thought was AF
September 13 - BFP
September 14 AF stop
September 15 - BFP
Cautiously Optomistic - Due Date May 24
It's Twins!!! OMG Freaking out!!!

Lilypie Maternity tickers

#78 Jiliana2

Jiliana2
  • 11 posts
  • My Clinic:McGill, Montreal Reproductive

Posted 28 January 2011 - 11:21 AM

Just chiming in that I am employed by the Federal Gov't and have SunLife. I just got my calendar yesterday for IVF #2... in the hopes that we can get as lucky as we did with IVF #1. I haven't paid the fees yet, but that'll be forthcoming, that's for sure.

I was part of the Expert Panel in Ontario and interviewed for the Raising Expectations paper and recommendations. I've been battling with the government, as well as various other politicians, and agencies for coverage and I'm NOT giving up. I'm a tenacious B*tch when I wanna be! A federal politician knocked on my door awhile ago (I live in Ottawa) and asked if he could count on my vote. I picked up my 15-month old daughter, and brought her to the door. "Do you see this little girl?" "Yes," he replied. "Well," I launched in..."she's the product of almost 7 years of infertility, about 30 thousand dollars and countless tears and heartbreak. We want to go back for another child, but I really don't think I should have to put a second mortgage on my house to do that, do you?" Needless to say, he was taken aback. I gave him my name, the address to my infertility blog and told him that it's time to give Ontarians the coverage they deserve. I can SEE Quebec from my house; do I have to move there to have IVF covered? That's discriminatory.

All that said, who do I contact at SunLife to submit my receipts and a copy of any details I can find? Is there an address? Is the address in the post above the one I ought to use? And I know one of you ladies mentioned a letter that you got from SunLife that might be of assistance (Ladybug maybe?). I'm open to receiving any and all information so that I too can join the fight. Again, if enough of us make an issue of this, it's bound to receive attention. Given that Quebec now covers the IVF procedure, it ought to be covered for other provinces (including Ontario) or we're looking at a case of discrimination based on residency. Ah... the "have" provinces vs. the "have-nots"... isn't it fun?

Lending my voice to the fight. I'm more than willing to help!
  • Laura1976 and like this
5+ years TTC #1
Me: 40, PCOS, Hypothyroidism
Hubby: 42, vasectomy + failed reversal
Blog: The Hardest Quest
Tried: 25+ IUIs, 5 dIUIs (Puregon + Clomid), 2 chemical p/g; all Negativel

IVF #1
Retrieval: December 2 (8 retrieved, 6 mature, 6 fertilized)
Transfer: December 5 (3 8-celled embryos transferred)
Betas: December 18 (13dp3dt); POSITIVE @ 108, December 22 (17dp3dt); 355
Ultrasound: Vanishing Twin Syndrome (initially 2, now 1 embryo)
EDD: August 25, 2009
SHE'S HERE! Petite was born on August 27, 2009 and we're thrilled!

IVF #2
Back for round 2, for a sibling for Petite in 2011

#79 PurpleFlowers

PurpleFlowers
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:53 PM

collieflower - I don't mind at all sharing my letter. I'll scan it and send it to you. I had everything organized in a binder but for some reason that's not in there so once I find it I'll send it along. I read it again and the last page outlines what Ontario considers necessary to cover and it says that we can't use another province's criteria. My problem is I think it's really unfair that because some politician thinks it's only necessary for blocked tubes the rest of us suffer since we live here. I'll be appealing their denial when it comes to it. We're getting ready for number 4 so I'll be submitting a claim to SunLife.

hi ladybug:

we are just starting this process and had some questions. we've just mailed in our referral form to the clinic and have not contacted sunlife at this point. we'd like to give our first shot at sunlife all the help we can. so can you send us the sunlife letters you are talking about? does sunlife cover ivf treatment options then (not blocked tubes) - a little confused by all the posts and were things stand as of right now? do you have a sample letter we could use to write to sunlife? we live in ON.

#80 Sandibeach

Sandibeach

Honorary PhD

• Cyclebase
  • 1840 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 08:02 PM

I was on the phone with Sunlife yesterday for other reasons and I asked the rep what was up with the IVF coverage. She said it's still under review, but with the decision that Blue Cross will cover DND and RCMP members, she said the govt likes to keept the coverage the same - in her opinion based on her past experience, Sunlife should be also coming to the same conclusion and covering IVF. Anyways it sounds promising - she just didn't have any timelines, so here's to keeping our fingers crossed. On another note, the drugs are still covered but ever since the card system came into place - Sunlife will only reimburse the generic amount or if no generic exists, the amount the fed govt has determined, which is lower than most pharmacies... so I'm not sure how much pharmacies are "overcharging" according to the govt.
  • s00n likes this
ME-39 DH-39
TTC 9 years
6 Cycles Clomid - BFN
1 Laproscopy
2 IUI's- BFN
ER 23 eggs, 20 mature, 17 fertilized - TOTAL EPIC FAILURE - ALL 17 Embies arrested in development by Day 5
HPT++++
Jan 16 - ER 11 eggs - 3 mature, 2 fertilized (OFC f**ked up again - triggered me too soon)
Feb 2 - Beta - BFN
ER - July 24
ET - July 27
Beta - Aug 10
Aug 6 - HPT ++++++
Aug 8th Beta - 225 BFP
Aug 10th Beta - 445

#81 s00n

s00n
  • 1000+
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:Him- Potential SA issues Me- PCOS like crazy/anovulation/long cycles. Started TTC before 30.TTC/Secondary Infertility(2008-2015) - Adopted from public system in Ontario 2012.Freeze-All IVF after OHSS, and successful FET 2015 @ 36Yrs Old.
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:53 AM

Sunlife has a clause (in my policy anyways, PSHCP) that states coverage will be matched for things covered by other provinces under the PSHCP.

To me this is where the coverage for IVF comes in, but on the phone the person I talked to barely knew what an injection was, let alone ART. ;)

I guess it's letter writing time again - this should be covered equally.

Sunlife doesn't cover Quebec, the Province does, but Sunlife had a statement somewhere (I've added it as a file attachment HERE)
See my about me page for details on our IF journey including adoption and other avenues.

#82 s00n

s00n
  • 1000+
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:Him- Potential SA issues Me- PCOS like crazy/anovulation/long cycles. Started TTC before 30.TTC/Secondary Infertility(2008-2015) - Adopted from public system in Ontario 2012.Freeze-All IVF after OHSS, and successful FET 2015 @ 36Yrs Old.

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:07 AM

I got coverage (no pre approval needed) for Femara (Letrozole) both generic and non. :) In 2010.

HI Ladies, I have phsp with the FEDS as well....Does anyone know if there is a limit on IVF meds ? I just received my pshp cards and am doing my third FET ( I've done 4 fresh cycles as well) adn suprefact was not covered ? Everything else with the new pshp card has been thus far (bcp etc.) so I am wondering what the problem might be. ANyone ever inquire of there is a limit on the number of cycles for IVF drugs ?

Thanks
Stacy

Hi Stacy,

I phoned once and asked whether there was a limit and they said no - that as long as the drugs were included on their list of approved meds, they would be covered - no limits. They did say, however, that not all medications would necessarily be covered (I can't remember which ones - I had a list). You should call and ask about specific meds. My last cycle included Gonal, Cetrotide and Prometrium and all were covered, but I was never on Suprefact.

Stacy,

I just looked in my files and found my list of meds that I asked them about (this was a couple of years ago) and I have a note that Suprefact is NOT covered - my note says because it is not classified by them as a fertility med? All of the other ones I have listed are covered except Femara, which I have a note saying that prior authorization is required.

Hope this helps.

See my about me page for details on our IF journey including adoption and other avenues.

#83 Sandibeach

Sandibeach

Honorary PhD

• Cyclebase
  • 1840 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 02:34 PM

s00n - I agree, but there's also a clause that states when a procedure starts being covered as a new thing with a province, Sunlife (Really the NJC) has the right to review it before deciding to reimburse the procedure - hence why it's under review right now... I thought it was automatic, but it's not. But still looks promising either way, all that matters.
ME-39 DH-39
TTC 9 years
6 Cycles Clomid - BFN
1 Laproscopy
2 IUI's- BFN
HPT++++
Feb 2 - Beta - BFN
ER - July 24
ET - July 27
Beta - Aug 10
Aug 6 - HPT ++++++
Aug 8th Beta - 225 BFP
Aug 10th Beta - 445

#84 s00n

s00n
  • 1000+
  • 1247 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:29 PM

s00n - I agree, but there's also a clause that states when a procedure starts being covered as a new thing with a province, Sunlife (Really the NJC) has the right to review it before deciding to reimburse the procedure - hence why it's under review right now... I thought it was automatic, but it's not. But still looks promising either way, all that matters.

Thanks for the clarification. It's better than nothing but certainly not a sure thing. However, I hope they DO cover it. That'd be awesome.

By the way to all the other hopefuls, don't bother calling on the phone, people, the person you'll get really does NOT know a thing about this - trust me. Send a letter.

#85 hazypeanut

hazypeanut
  • Global 100+
  • 575 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Ottawa

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:22 PM

Just sent out our appeal today... the girl we spoke to at sunlife on the phone, told us the more appeals they get, the faster they are going to have to move and she said each decision will most likely be individual. But she was the first person we spoke to who had an understanding of IVF and was all for it to be covered.. so she said it could take a max of 6 weeks to hear back on a decision.

We really stressed we needed to know ASAP due to tax time, because we WILL be claiming everything we can for this.

1997 July.. DD born, from a previous relationship. Born on her due date.

2006 Oct, Married my best friend.
2007 Oct, Journey to conception starts( although in the 8 yrs we have been together we have never used BC)
2007 July 14th Hubby leaves for Afghanistan for 2 months.
2007 Oct, hubby leaves again for Afghanistan
2008 Jan 1st, Hubby returns
2008 Jan, blocked tube on left and removal of baseball sized cyst on rt ovary
2008 April started on clomid for 6 months
Referred to Dr. Ried in Kingston, more tests show no tube blockage. But does show stage 4 endo.
IUI # 1 BFN
IUI # 2 BFN
3rd cycle cancelled due to not responding to meds very well.
Referred to Dr. Min at the OFC

IVF #1

June 1st consent signing
Baseline ultrasound revealed 16 follicles, and FSH of 7! previous day 3 had shown 9 and high estrogen levels.
June 29th 2010 Education session, done...hurry up day one!
Aug 10th Called in Day #1
Aug 15th-sept 4th Start BCP
Aug 25th started suprefact
Sept 10 bw
Sept 11 Started puregon 350 u
Sept 15th first us.
Sept 18th second us and bw.. a bunch of small follicles.. and 4 measurable ones cycle maybe cancelled.
Sept 19th 3rd ultrasound ... 18 follicles and 8! good sized follicles. Cycle is back on..and 2 surprise follicles on the right!!!
Sept 20th us and bw.
Sept 21 bw and us DAY 11
Sept 22 bw and us.. ready for trigger tonight! 8 good follies, one at 20 the rest following suit.
Sept 24 ER..7 follicles harvested, 6 eggs retrieved.
Sept 25 call from lab, 4 eggs Mature, 3 eggs fertilized. Can't believe we have made it this far!
We are in love with our embryos!! GROW EMBIES GROW!!!!!!
Sept 27 Transfered 2 sweet little embryos.. one 7 cell the other an 8, on day 3. Sadly none to freeze
Oct 12 is BETA day!! im PUPO until then! Still waiting on blood results..
Couldnt take it any more and POAS..
BETA #1 700.
Ultrasound Oct 27th.
BFP!!!!!!!! OMG! ))
Nov 26th First OB appt. Couldnt find heartbeat, still early? 86.5 kg.
Dec 2nd bought doppler heard heartbeat and fell in love again.
Dec 16th ultrasound.
Dec 22nd 2nd OB appt. Heard heartbeat, such music :)88.5 kg.
Jan 21st 3rd OB appt. 89.2 kg
Feb 9th anatomy scan and sex of baby!!!
ITS A GIRL!!! YAY!
Feb 23 OB appt.. 91.1 kg Placenta completely covering cervix.
Mar 25 OB appt.. 94.3 kg
Apr 06 OB appt..
Apr 12 U/S to check placenta and cervix.
May 3rd OB talked about having C section no later than 37 weeks if placenta in same position.. oh my! thats 3 weeks!
May 6th U/S to check placenta..tech says its the same as they have been telling the doc all along..i assume its still covering.. will find out wed at OB appt.
Scheduled C section May 24th, 2011

Baby girl Madeleine was born weighing 4 lbs 11 oz.

IN THE PROCESS OF STARTING ANOTHER FRESH CYCLE....YAY!!

Second fresh IVF failed. :(

#86 snowflake_888

snowflake_888
  • Global 100+
  • 506 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:24 PM

Just sent out our appeal today... the girl we spoke to at sunlife on the phone, told us the more appeals they get, the faster they are going to have to move and she said each decision will most likely be individual. But she was the first person we spoke to who had an understanding of IVF and was all for it to be covered.. so she said it could take a max of 6 weeks to hear back on a decision.

We really stressed we needed to know ASAP due to tax time, because we WILL be claiming everything we can for this.

Did you have to state formally why you were appealing etc. (based on the clause about non-insured services being covered if they were covered by at least one other province)? Is there a form for filing the appeal or did you just write a letter? Sorry for all the questions - I just got my claim back denied as well - just wondering how to go about appealing. Thanks!

Me: 39 Husband: 38
My Blog
DX: initially unexplained - discovered left hydrosalpinx - tube removed Sept 2011
TTC: 6 years
Miscarriage - June 2009 - natural pregnancy
IUI #1- December 2009 BFN
IUI#2 - February 2010 BFN
IVF#1 - May 2010
18 eggs retrieved
10 fertilized
Transferred 2 3-day embryos
BFN
3 frozen blasts
FET#1 - Oct 2010
Transferred 2 5-day blasts Oct 5, 2010
BFN - Oct 18, 2010
IVF#2 - Dec 2010
12 eggs retrieved
5 immature & 7 fertilized abnormally - ummm...confused
Fresh cycle no transfer - transferred 1 6-day blast from May cycle - BFN - Dec 24, 2010
Switched Clinics for IVF#3 - CCRM
March 10, 2011 - Phone consultation with new RE
March 24, 2011 - ODWU at CCRM (one-day work up)
April 18, 2011 - Day 3 Testing
May 2, 2011 - Follow-up phone call with RE
May 9, 2011 - Endometrial biopsy to test Beta-3 Integrin
May 12, 2011 - CD 1
May 14, 2011 - Start BCP
May 24, 2011 - HSG #2
June 16, 2011 - ER - 29 eggs retrieved
22 mature and 14 fertilized normally
8 made it to blastocyst - 4 biopsied for Comprehensive Chromosomal Screening (CCS)
1 genetically normal blastocyst

Sept 2011 - left tube removed due to hydrosalpinx

February 2012 - IVF#4 (second retrieval at CCRM) - two genetically normal blastocysts

July 25, 2012 - FET of two genetically normal blastocysts -BFP!!!

#87 Sandibeach

Sandibeach

Honorary PhD

• Cyclebase
  • 1840 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 09:31 AM

I'm confused, I thought the decision wasn't made yet...that is what I was told less than 2 weeks ago. So they are now denying the IVF expense? I agree, send an appeal, but this is very dissapointing news. I thought they were holding onto all the claims until a decision was made...especially since RCMP and DND members now have coverage, you would expect we would be treated in a similiar manner.
ME-39 DH-39
TTC 9 years
6 Cycles Clomid - BFN
1 Laproscopy
2 IUI's- BFN
HPT++++
Feb 2 - Beta - BFN
ER - July 24
ET - July 27
Beta - Aug 10
Aug 6 - HPT ++++++
Aug 8th Beta - 225 BFP
Aug 10th Beta - 445

#88 hazypeanut

hazypeanut
  • Global 100+
  • 575 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:29 AM

Hubby just typed up his own letter for the appeal..again explaining to them that it is now covered in quebec blah blah...and explaining my fertility issues etc, also he put in the end that we need to know asap due to income tax time, and we need to know how to file. hopefully we get at least a fair response.

2007 Oct, Journey to conception starts( although in the 8 yrs we have been together we have never used BC)
Referred to Dr. Ried in Kingston, more tests show no tube blockage. But does show stage 4 endo.
IUI # 1 BFN
IUI # 2 BFN

IVF #1

June 1st consent signing
Baseline ultrasound revealed 16 follicles, and FSH of 7! previous day 3 had shown 9 and high estrogen levels.
Sept 10 bw
Sept 15th first us.
Sept 18th second us and bw.. a bunch of small follicles.. and 4 measurable ones cycle maybe cancelled.
Sept 19th 3rd ultrasound ... 18 follicles and 8! good sized follicles. Cycle is back on..and 2 surprise follicles on the right!!!
Sept 20th us and bw.
Sept 21 bw and us DAY 11
Sept 22 bw and us.. ready for trigger tonight! 8 good follies, one at 20 the rest following suit.
Sept 25 call from lab, 4 eggs Mature, 3 eggs fertilized. Can't believe we have made it this far!
Sept 27 Transfered 2 sweet little embryos.. one 7 cell the other an 8, on day 3. Sadly none to freeze
BETA #1 700.
Ultrasound Oct 27th.
BFP!!!!!!!! OMG! ))
Dec 16th ultrasound.
ITS A GIRL!!! YAY!
Mar 25 OB appt.. 94.3 kg
Apr 06 OB appt..
May 3rd OB talked about having C section no later than 37 weeks if placenta in same position.. oh my! thats 3 weeks!
May 6th U/S to check placenta..tech says its the same as they have been telling the doc all along..i assume its still covering.. will find out wed at OB appt.

#89 hazypeanut

hazypeanut
  • Global 100+
  • 575 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:31 AM

Sandi we are DND and they r still not covering it for us.

IUI # 1 BFN
IUI # 2 BFN

IVF #1

June 1st consent signing
Sept 10 bw
Sept 15th first us.
Sept 20th us and bw.
Sept 21 bw and us DAY 11
BETA #1 700.
Ultrasound Oct 27th.
BFP!!!!!!!! OMG! ))
Dec 16th ultrasound.
ITS A GIRL!!! YAY!
Mar 25 OB appt.. 94.3 kg
Apr 06 OB appt..

#90 snowflake_888

snowflake_888
  • Global 100+
  • 506 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for the reply Hazy. I'll send in an appeal letter too.

Sandibeach - mine was rejected - flat out - just found out last week. From what I understand, they are not holding on to them. They're still rejecting them, so I think the best thing to do is to file an appeal and that way if/when they do decide to cover, your appeal is on file. Just my understanding though.

Jen

Me: 39 Husband: 38
My Blog
DX: initially unexplained - discovered left hydrosalpinx - tube removed Sept 2011
TTC: 6 years
Miscarriage - June 2009 - natural pregnancy
IUI #1- December 2009 BFN
IUI#2 - February 2010 BFN
IVF#1 - May 2010
18 eggs retrieved
10 fertilized
Transferred 2 3-day embryos
BFN
3 frozen blasts
FET#1 - Oct 2010
Transferred 2 5-day blasts Oct 5, 2010
BFN - Oct 18, 2010
IVF#2 - Dec 2010
12 eggs retrieved
5 immature & 7 fertilized abnormally - ummm...confused
Fresh cycle no transfer - transferred 1 6-day blast from May cycle - BFN - Dec 24, 2010
Switched Clinics for IVF#3 - CCRM
March 10, 2011 - Phone consultation with new RE
March 24, 2011 - ODWU at CCRM (one-day work up)
April 18, 2011 - Day 3 Testing
May 2, 2011 - Follow-up phone call with RE
May 9, 2011 - Endometrial biopsy to test Beta-3 Integrin
May 12, 2011 - CD 1
May 14, 2011 - Start BCP
May 24, 2011 - HSG #2
June 16, 2011 - ER - 29 eggs retrieved
22 mature and 14 fertilized normally
8 made it to blastocyst - 4 biopsied for Comprehensive Chromosomal Screening (CCS)
1 genetically normal blastocyst

Sept 2011 - left tube removed due to hydrosalpinx

February 2012 - IVF#4 (second retrieval at CCRM) - two genetically normal blastocysts

July 25, 2012 - FET of two genetically normal blastocysts -BFP!!!

#91 Sandibeach

Sandibeach

Honorary PhD

• Cyclebase
  • 1840 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:30 PM

hazypeanut - are you a public servant or member with blue cross? Sunlife confirmed to me that bluecross is covering it with pre=approval, but only for members (those wearing uniforms)

Snowflake - that really sucks! I'm so pissed!! It seams like a cope out, yes file an appeal. I haven't started my new cycle yet, so I don't have anything to submit!

As for income taxes, file them as if you don't get a refund and if you do get it, then you can file an ammendment and send them a cheque...that's what I would do..cause as it stands today, you did not get reimbursed. This way you can get your refund.
ME-39 DH-39
TTC 9 years
6 Cycles Clomid - BFN
1 Laproscopy
2 IUI's- BFN
HPT++++
Feb 2 - Beta - BFN
ER - July 24
ET - July 27
Beta - Aug 10
Aug 6 - HPT ++++++
Aug 8th Beta - 225 BFP
Aug 10th Beta - 445

#92 hazypeanut

hazypeanut
  • Global 100+
  • 575 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:47 PM

ahhhh Sandi, ya hubby is DND and he has blue cross...im with sunlife..i see the difference now..I think thats what we will end up doing with our taxes.. or wait 6 weeks to find out.but i dont wanna have to wait for another "no" ugh.

IUI # 1 BFN
IUI # 2 BFN

IVF #1

June 1st consent signing
Sept 10 bw
Sept 15th first us.
Sept 20th us and bw.
Sept 21 bw and us DAY 11
BETA #1 700.
Ultrasound Oct 27th.
BFP!!!!!!!! OMG! ))
Dec 16th ultrasound.
ITS A GIRL!!! YAY!
Mar 25 OB appt.. 94.3 kg
Apr 06 OB appt..

#93 hazypeanut

hazypeanut
  • Global 100+
  • 575 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:47 PM

ahhhh Sandi, ya hubby is DND and he has blue cross...im with sunlife..i see the difference now..I think thats what we will end up doing with our taxes.. or wait 6 weeks to find out.but i dont wanna have to wait for another "no" ugh.

IUI # 1 BFN
IUI # 2 BFN

IVF #1

June 1st consent signing
Sept 10 bw
Sept 15th first us.
Sept 20th us and bw.
Sept 21 bw and us DAY 11
BETA #1 700.
Ultrasound Oct 27th.
BFP!!!!!!!! OMG! ))
Dec 16th ultrasound.
ITS A GIRL!!! YAY!
Mar 25 OB appt.. 94.3 kg
Apr 06 OB appt..

#94 sweetdreams

sweetdreams
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:09 AM

I really hope they will decide to cover it.

#95 countingdown

countingdown
  • 94 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:09 PM

Hazypeanut - what exactly did your rejection letter say?

I also submitted my claim for my cycle in January. I got a claim statement back with 0 reimbursed but the statement said Note D98 "We will provide you with additional information shortly". I did not take this as a outright rejection - just that more information will come in time. I've received nothing more since that letter dated Feb. 9, 2011.

#96 hazypeanut

hazypeanut
  • Global 100+
  • 575 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:07 PM

Countingdown, we had the same answer in the beginning... D98, but then we got a letter saying that basically OHIP covers tubal blockage, which btw WE KNOW lol.. everyone going through IVF in ontario most likely already knows this. They kind of made it seem like we had no idea in the letter.. I mean the reason we r trying to have insurance cover this now, is because we can't get OHIP coverage.. and now because Quebec is covering, we are appealing their decision.

IUI # 1 BFN
IUI # 2 BFN

IVF #1

June 1st consent signing
Sept 10 bw
Sept 15th first us.
Sept 20th us and bw.
Sept 21 bw and us DAY 11
BETA #1 700.
Ultrasound Oct 27th.
BFP!!!!!!!! OMG! ))
Dec 16th ultrasound.
ITS A GIRL!!! YAY!
Mar 25 OB appt.. 94.3 kg
Apr 06 OB appt..

#97 countingdown

countingdown
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 09:54 PM

Got my rejection letter today. Stupidist letter ever really. It says that it needs to be covered in at least one province to be covered by the PSCHP and that Ontario covers IVF for bilateral blocked tubes.

Here is my response:

I am writing this letter to appeal the rejection of my claim that I received on March 9, 2011.

I thank you for clearly outlining the circumstances in which I would be eligible for reimbursement of physician services. I assure you that I meet both criteria, which were outlined in your letter as follows:

1. If the services rendered by the physician are not eligible for reimbursement under your own provincial health insurance plan, and

2. If such services are eligible for reimbursement under at least one other provincial health insurance plan.

With respect to the first point, I am a resident of the province of Ontario. Your letter is correct in outlining that OHIP will only cover IVF when it is required due to bilateral blocked tubes. As you have determined, I was required to undertake IVF for other reasons and was thus not covered under OHIP. As a result, I clearly meet the first criteria that you outlined, in that the services that were required by a physician were not eligible for reimbursement under my own provincial health insurance.

With respect to the second point, IVF is eligible for funding, in circumstances other than the complete bilateral blocked tubes, in the Province of Quebec. The province of Quebec began publicly funding IVF for all causes of infertility beginning August 5, 2010. As a result, I also meet your second criteria in that at least one other provincial health insurance plan in Canada does cover IVF for the reasons that I required it. Please note that the province of Quebec also is also now publicly fundig ICSI when it is required.

As such, in light of this information, I am appealing the decision to reject my claim and requesting reimbursement for the IVF, for which I am entitled to in accordance with the PSCHP.

Sincerely,

#98 honeybee2

honeybee2
  • Cyclebase
  • 188 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Hannam (formerly AART)

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:02 AM

I’m not getting anywhere with Sun Life. Back in August, before I started any IVF procedures, I sent a letter to the PSHCP Administration Authority asking if IVF would now be covered because Quebec is covering it. They replied that it was under review and they’d let members know about any major changes to coverage.

Then, I found out that my tubes are functionally blocked. I got a letter from my RE stating that I required IVF because my tubes don’t work, and I submitted that to Sun Life along with my receipt for my IVF cycle in November. I didn’t get a claim statement back until January. It said that “The eligibility of this product or service is currently under review. Once a decision is made, we will let you know whether this expense is eligible under your benefits plan.” (I also tried claiming DH’s sperm analysis fees as ‘lab fees’ but they denied that claim).

I called the PSHCP call centre to find out when the review might be completed. The first person I talked to said my claim was being reviewed, and they had 30 days to review it which would be up the following week. She said if I didn’t hear anything I should call back. I said I thought it should be approved based on my doctor’s letter, and she said they’d look into it.

I called back over a week later and this time I was told that my claim had originally been denied, but the whole coverage for IVF is under review. He also said that my claim had been sent for adjustment based on my last call. He said he would send a note to the adjustment department saying that I would like more information on the status of my claim and that I would be happy to provide any additional information if they needed it.

When I hadn’t heard anything after two weeks, I went to the Secure message system on the Sun Life website and sent a message asking about my claim and asking if there is a service standard for turn-around time because I expected an answer long before now. I got a reply saying they are ‘reviewing the claim status further’ and a letter will be sent to me shortly.

It’s been very frustrating because that first IVF cycle resulted in a BFN, and we would like to cycle again soon. It makes a huge difference to us financially whether we get that money back. I have an appointment with my RE next week to discuss our next steps, and I was really hoping to have an answer by then. I can’t see how they can deny the claim, because I know others have been covered for blocked tubes outside of Ontario. DH is pushing me to take this to my union…I’m not quite ready to take that step yet.

It seems like they’re doing things extremely slowly, hoping I’ll go away. That’s not going to happen though.
Me: 35 DH: 38
HSG showed mostly blocked tubes.
Opted not to do a laparoscopy and move straight to IVF.

IVF Dec -Jan 2010/11
Dec 23 - Started Suprefact injections
Dec 25 - Gonal F & Menopur
Jan 8 - ER (6 eggs: 4 mature, 3 fertilized)
Jan 11 - ET of two embryos (none to freeze)
Jan 27 - Beta - BFN

IVF#2 June-July 2011
July 2 - Suprefact injections
July 4 - Gonal F & Menopur
July 18 - ER (4 eggs: 3 mature, 1 fertilized)
July 21 - ET (1 embryo, 19/20)
Aug 5 - Beta - BFN

IVF#3 May 2012 (Hannam)
BCPs, Gonal F, Luveris, Cetrotide, Saizen
May 24 - ER (9 eggs: 7 mature, 7 fertilized)
May 29 - ET of 2 blasts (none to freeze)
June 12 - beta.493
June 14 - beta 1171
June 18 - beta 5223
July 4 - u/s shows one healthy babe, EDD Feb 13

#99 Sandibeach

Sandibeach

Honorary PhD

• Cyclebase
  • 1840 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 09:04 AM

This really burns me... good letter. Let us know the outcome.

I might add a point, that if you resided in another province such as Alberta where there is no IVF coverage would you not get coverage (reimbursement)? And that you are being discriminated because you live in Ontario where there is limited IVF coverage and you do NOT meet their criteria for OHIP coverage, therefore residents of Ontario who are not eligible for OHIP coverage have a disadvantage to the rest of Canadian residents.

Good luck!
ME-39 DH-39
TTC 9 years
6 Cycles Clomid - BFN
1 Laproscopy
2 IUI's- BFN
HPT++++
Feb 2 - Beta - BFN
ER - July 24
ET - July 27
Beta - Aug 10
Aug 6 - HPT ++++++
Aug 8th Beta - 225 BFP
Aug 10th Beta - 445

#100 hazypeanut

hazypeanut
  • Global 100+
  • 575 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:59 PM

SO we just got our reply from our appeal to the PSHCP that we sent on Feb 22.... i'll post it, its not long.. What else were we expecting.. :S

"The issue of IVF and associated costs is currently under review. Claims cannot be adjudicated and appeals cannot be resolved until we have a decision on the eligibility. Once a decision has been made, your request will be presented to the appeals commitee for a decision. Until then, if you incur any costs, we cannot confirm whether all or any of the costs will be covered under the PSHCP."

"We apologize for any delay or inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience."

Bunch of crap.

IUI # 1 BFN
IUI # 2 BFN

IVF #1

June 1st consent signing
Sept 10 bw
Sept 15th first us.
Sept 20th us and bw.
Sept 21 bw and us DAY 11
BETA #1 700.
Ultrasound Oct 27th.
BFP!!!!!!!! OMG! ))
Dec 16th ultrasound.
ITS A GIRL!!! YAY!
Mar 25 OB appt.. 94.3 kg
Apr 06 OB appt..