#1 ladyjayne

ladyjayne
  • Global 100+
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Art, feminism, music....
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:32 AM

I'm confused about this whole CMV status thing. My wife and I are starting our first IVF cycle soon, using her eggs and my uterus (and donor sperm). On the sperm bank websites, we learned about 'CMV' - which we'd never heard about before. We checked with our clinic, who said that she tested positive for the antibodies (not a current infection) but I tested negative. I'm really concerned now because I've heard conflicting things about this. Some sites say that a negative person should not receive an 'egg donation' (which is what this would be technically) from someone who is positive. As well, I read that a negative woman should not use donor sperm that is CMV positive - but the two donors we most want to use ARE CMV positive.

I called our clinic but the nurse said don't worry about it, use whatever sperm you want.

But I'm pretty concerned about the risks of birth defects/etc...

Help! We need to submit our sperm choices to the clinic next week and now I'm kind of in panic mode.

Me 29 DW 33
Two wombs, no sperm
The Plan: IVF - her eggs, my womb, donor sperm

June 4: polyp removal
June 23: started BCP
June 29: DW started BCP
July 6: last day of BCP for me, DW starts Lupron
July 10: I started Estrace
July 18: DW started stims
July 28: ER! 12 retrieved, 9 mature, 5 fertilized
July 31: ET!
Aug 12: First beta 499!
Feeling thrilled but cautiously optimistic.
Sept 11: u/s looks good.
Oct 6: u/s still looking good!
December 2: Anatomy scan 'unremarkable', which in this case is a good thing.
Due April 20th!

Healthy, happy, beautiful baby girl born April 19, 2011!

#2 LisainSK

LisainSK
  • Global 100+
  • 440 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:Was RFP (Calgary) now CCRM (Denver)

Posted 18 June 2010 - 12:04 PM

Hmmm...could you post your question to "Ask the RE" on this website. I've learned that whenever somethign doesn't feel right...ask questions...no question is stupid. If you're still concerned about it...get a second opinion. It may delay treatment but at least you'll have peace of mind.

Just my opinion...

LisainSK
Me (33) and DH (35)....married 10 years (small town sweethearts)

December 2006: TTC # 1
May 2007: DH S/A...normal.
September 2007: BFP au naturelle...holy smokes!
November 2007: M/C # 1 @ 12 wk. DNC reveals a Partial Molar Pregnancy.
January 2009: Referral to local OB/GYN
April 2009: Dx Unexplained. Referral to Calgary RFP.
May 2009: Clomid Cycle # 1...BFN
June 2009: IUI # 1 w/ Clomid # 2 and HCG...BFN
July 2009: Clomid Cycle # 3...BFP! Happy but terrified of another m/c.
September 2009: Worst fears confirmed...M/C # 2 @ 8 weeks
October 2009: IVF Orientation at Calgary RFP and on wait list.
January 2010: Dx (Me) Abnormal Karyotype (Pericentric Inversion Chromosome 16)
March 2010: RFP Referral/Consultation with Reprogenetics in New Jersey
March/April 2010: PGD/IVF success odds very low...20% estimated "normal embryos" per cycle and a 41% pg rate
May 2010: Consult with Dr. Schoolcraft of Colorado Center for Reproductive Medicine
June 2010: One Day Work Up @ CCRM (Denver, CO)
June 2010: Predicted Low Responder (Low AFC and AMH). Inversion in difficult spot...We're doing Donor Eggs!!
July 2010: Discovery that I am also a carrier of Fragile X...my eggs didn't have a chance.
July 2010: Annonymous Egg Donor chosen through CCRM
August 2010: Mock FET Cycle completed.
DE IVF # 1
September 2010: Donor Eggs retrieved. Blastocysts to undergo PCR genetic screeing.
October 21, 2010: U/S showing 9.9 mm lining with triple stripe; E2 = 1600 and 1397 US units
November 1st, 2010: FET # 1 (Elective Single Embryo Transfer - eSET)
November 10th, 2010: Beta HCG # 1 = 82, P4 = 23.1 US units
November 12th, 2010: Beta HCG # 2 = 186! BFP!!
November 17th, 2010: Beta HCG # 3 = 1461
November 19th, 2010: Beta HCG # 4 = 3740
November 26th, 2010 U/S: hb = 120 bpm, measuring 6w1d, actual gestation is 6w2d since transfer, CRL = 3.8 mm
Dec. 10th, 2010 U/S: hb = 180 bpm, measuring 8w2d - exactly 8w2d since FET, CRL = 1.8 cm
February 18, 2011: Anatomy scan
EDD = July 20th, 2011

June 28th, 2011 @ 3:19 AM MTN: Levi Darrell John born at 36w6d at 6lbs 14oz and 18" long. He is precious beyond measure.

Visit my blog at:

http://wantedonegood...o.blogspot.com/

February 2012: Bye Bye IVF.ca community...you are the reason I got to where I am today. I am forever reached via pm as my email alerts me. Take care all...wishing you all peace in your hearts soon.

#3 Luckypenny

Luckypenny
  • Cyclebase
  • 1837 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Centre

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:10 PM

I'm not familiar with CMV, but I think that the biggest issue might be that if the egg/sperm are positive for one thing and you are negative for it, your body might see the embryo as "foreign" and attack it/not allow it to implant, vs. birth defects.

I would definitely follow LisainSK's advice and post this question on the "Ask the RE" forum. Dr. Hudson in particular is very knowledgable and progressive with immune isssues (ie. whether the positive embryo would be viewed as foreign to your body since you are CMV negative). Good luck on getting an answer that you are comfortable with quickly!

#4 anytime now

anytime now
  • Cyclebase
  • 2561 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 18 June 2010 - 06:57 PM

You may want to speak with a Dr. but I am in exactly this situation. I'm CMV negative and I have made an informed choice at one point to use a CMV positive donor, which is not advised.

This is what I learned:
CMV is an infection that many people have had. To the person receiving sperm, the risk is only if the person is presently carrying an active CMV infection. My understanding is that is why sperm donors sperm sits in quarantine for a period of time, and isn't used until the donor has had a blood test. If there is an active CMV infection at that time, then the sperm can't be used. So essentially, my understanding is the risk is really only of if the agency you use isn't testing properly...but do get medical confirmation of this.

What is much scarier to me, and sorry for bringing this up, is that CMV is very, very common in babies and young children and is easily passed on. My understanding is that this is the far greater risk to someone who is CMV negative for contracting the infection and that is how the developing baby can be affected.

I work with children, so this scares me much more than my sperm donor choice...

This website might be of interest to you:

http://www.americanp...sinfection.html

Good luck...

A.N.
Me: 44 (sigh) DB is 40 (Dear boyfriend!)

TTC from March 2009-March 2011 before DB had arrived on the scene
About 9 IUIs, 3 IVFs total

2 pregnancies with 7 week miscarriage requiring D&C
2 chemical pregnancies

April 2011 began a relationship now with a wonderful guy with an 8 year old son.
Sept 2011 Natural BFP while trying not to conceive (how ironic)
First Beta Day 15 from LMP was 851, Beta 4, 19 days post ovulation 5382
7wk US showed a heartbeat of 150! 9 wk US HB 185

May 19 2012 DS is born!!

#5 ladyjayne

ladyjayne
  • Global 100+
  • 181 posts
  • Interests:Art, feminism, music....
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 21 June 2010 - 08:59 AM

I posted it on the Ask the RE forum but I guess no one has answered it.

Thanks anytime now. I found similar information - that it's only an issue if the donor is actively infected, and the bank says they destroy all actively infected vials and do lots of testing. The nurses and the RE at my clinic said not to worry about it. So I guess they view it as a really small risk. Our top 3 donors are all CMV positive, and everything else about them is pretty rad, so I'm trying not to worry about it!

I guess most people who are getting pregnant don't know anything about their own or their partners' CMV status....

Me 29 DW 33
Two wombs, no sperm
The Plan: IVF - her eggs, my womb, donor sperm

June 4: polyp removal
June 23: started BCP
June 29: DW started BCP
July 6: last day of BCP for me, DW starts Lupron
July 10: I started Estrace
July 18: DW started stims
July 28: ER! 12 retrieved, 9 mature, 5 fertilized
July 31: ET!
Aug 12: First beta 499!
Feeling thrilled but cautiously optimistic.
Sept 11: u/s looks good.
Oct 6: u/s still looking good!
December 2: Anatomy scan 'unremarkable', which in this case is a good thing.
Due April 20th!

Healthy, happy, beautiful baby girl born April 19, 2011!