• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Canukistan

Canukistan
  • 5 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:32 PM

Hi there,

I am hoping to find out what the typical protocol would be for an IUI?

A bit of our background, we found out my DH has severe male factor and we wouldn't be able to conceive without assistance. We tried a round of IVF but did not have a successful pregnancy. We took a few years off, tried adopting only to have that fall through as well. We recently tried doing IUI's with donor sperm.

The clinic we used prescribed 100 mg of clomid and then had me use OPK's, no ultrasounds or bloodwork. None of the three rounds worked and now they're forcing us to take a two month break.

I was just curious if OPK's are standard practice or if it's just our clinic. Other friends that have done IUI's at other clinics all had bloodwork and ultra sounds done. I just feel like we weren't monitored properly so we missed our opportunities. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 EarthWoman

EarthWoman
  • Cyclebase
  • 264 posts
  • Interests:Yoga, drumming, reading, theatre, singing, cats, languages, teaching
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Genesis

Posted 14 May 2010 - 09:49 PM

I've been wondering the same thing. Why do some clinics monitor with bloodwork and ultrasound yet others only do it with an OPK? There is so much on the line, emotionally and financially, especially when donor sperm is used...
Me: 35, DH: 41
"I'm opening up in sweet surrender to the luminous love light of the One"

#3 anytime now

anytime now
  • Cyclebase
  • 2561 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 16 May 2010 - 06:19 PM

I don't think there is a typical protocol as even at my clinic, one physician goes with OPK's alone, while others use bloodwork and ultrasound.
From personal experience, I would want to go by bloodwork and ultrasound instead of relying on OPKs alone. And I absolutely hate needles so if I hadn't gone through what I did, I would have been thrilled to only use OPKs. I wasted a unit of donor sperm with a false positive on the OPK (two different brands of tests confirmed the positive result, by the way, one of which was the expensive digital brand). The Dr. had suggested I confirm with bloodwork early the next morning, and I asked if I really needed to with 2 positives. He said that was probably ok to skip it. So, I didn't come in early, but had blood taken just before my IUI, for no particular reason, in fact, only to learn a few hours later that I made a very expensive mistake by not confirming my surge with bloodwork much earlier that day...There were some other timing issues with me (I surge at night where most women surge in the am) and I think the timing of my IUIs may have been better with bloodwork in general.

Good luck whichever way you go...

A.N.

Hi there,

I am hoping to find out what the typical protocol would be for an IUI?

A bit of our background, we found out my DH has severe male factor and we wouldn't be able to conceive without assistance. We tried a round of IVF but did not have a successful pregnancy. We took a few years off, tried adopting only to have that fall through as well. We recently tried doing IUI's with donor sperm.

The clinic we used prescribed 100 mg of clomid and then had me use OPK's, no ultrasounds or bloodwork. None of the three rounds worked and now they're forcing us to take a two month break.

I was just curious if OPK's are standard practice or if it's just our clinic. Other friends that have done IUI's at other clinics all had bloodwork and ultra sounds done. I just feel like we weren't monitored properly so we missed our opportunities. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Me: 44 (sigh) DB is 40 (Dear boyfriend!)

TTC from March 2009-March 2011 before DB had arrived on the scene
About 9 IUIs, 3 IVFs total

2 pregnancies with 7 week miscarriage requiring D&C
2 chemical pregnancies

April 2011 began a relationship now with a wonderful guy with an 8 year old son.
Sept 2011 Natural BFP while trying not to conceive (how ironic)
First Beta Day 15 from LMP was 851, Beta 4, 19 days post ovulation 5382
7wk US showed a heartbeat of 150! 9 wk US HB 185

May 19 2012 DS is born!!

#4 Canukistan

Canukistan
  • 5 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 17 May 2010 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for your replies. What I don't like about OPK's is that it put the responsibility of diagnoses on the patient. Even if there is proof that OPK's are better than u/s and blood work then it should still be done at the clinic and interpreted by someone who's been trained in these matters.

I mean, in what other field is it okay to put the responsibility on the patient?

Sorry, just upset right now at how we've been treated.