101 replies to this topic

#1 DiXie

DiXie
  • 1000+
  • 1140 posts
  • Interests:photography & reading
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:51 AM

I love reading and I love getting other people's suggestions for new books so fire off a few and let me know if you have read any good books lately?

Maybe even let us know what are you reading right now...or something you have read and would like to share

Title:
Author:
What is it about:
Did you like or hate it and why?

So I'll start:

Recently finished reading:

Handle with care
Jodi Picault (sp??)
About a women who decided to sue her OB/GYN (who is also her best friend) for wrongfull birth of her dauther with OI.

I usually like her books and enjoy reading them but this one was just ok, nothing special, as usual the great twist in the end and Jodi's style of writing (from each person's view) reminded me too much of My Sister's Keeper (If you have read it).I don't think it's a greatest book but once you start reading hard to put down.

#2 mollygirl21

mollygirl21
  • Cyclebase
  • 1513 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:15 AM

I love reading...nothing heavy, just good stories I can get lost in. I always have a book on the go.

Right now I am on the third book of the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon and I absolutely love them! I can't put these books down and when my mil lent them to me, I didn't know if I would read them because it seemed so far off from what I normally read. I just googled it because I couldn't think of the author's last name and I see they are going to be making a movie of it.

The books are about a woman from the 1940's who travels through time back 200 years. I know, sounds horrible and hokey right? But it's not at all! She meets and falls in love with a Scottish Highlander and the whole series is about their lives together and apart. The author is a wonderful storyteller and when I read a book I love like this, I hate for it to end so the best part of these books is when I'm done one, there's another one to pick up to continue the story. Lots of hot sex too :)

A word of warning if you start reading, the first third of the first book is a little tough to get into. But keep going and you won't regret it. I've been reading them since before Christmas. Another thing I like about these books is that I have to slow down and read them carefully because of the Scottish brogue. If I had known that before I picked them up, I likely wouldn't have picked them up but really - with these books I want to savour it!

I like Jodi Piccoult and have read most of her books. My favourite is The Pact. They do seem to follow a formula though so I had to take a break from her because I wasn't enjoying them as much.

Until I found this Outlander series, my favourite author of all time is Maeve Binchy. My favourite of hers is Tara Road. I must like reading in different accents because her books are all set in Ireland.

Good topic Dixie!

MG
After 3+ years, my cycle history is quite long. For details on each cycle, please visit my "About Me" page

Trying since fall 2007
All tests show normal (we're "unexplained")

COH+IUI in Nov 08 = BFN
IVF # 1 Feb 09 - BFN
IVF #2 June 2009 - BFP
13 week u/s showed a missed m/c. Baby stopped developing around 8 weeks. Damn.

Moving on to adoption :)
March 22, 2010 - finished PRIDE classes
waiting to begin homestudy sometime in the next two years. That's not a typo - TWO YEARS
Feb 2012 - got a call that they are ready to start our home study...putting off all adoption decisions for at least 6 months because I am 2 weeks from my due date (see below)

Feb 2011 - we've been offered donor embryos! FET in a few months after preliminary tests are done...
FET June 2011:
May 7 - start suprefact and low dose aspirin (on CD21)
May 14 - AF started - super heavy and I'm super cranky. Headaches from the suprefact too
May 21 - starting Estrace and both of us start antibiotics
June 3 - u/s to check lining
June 8 - FET
June 21 - Beta is 564. June 24 Beta is 2286
July 12 - first u/s at 7w1d
Aug 18 - second u/s at 12w4d - everything looks great
Aug 30 - first prenatal appt
Oct 6 - 20w anatomy scan, could find out the sex!
It's a BOY!!
EDD is Feb 26, 2012
beautiful healthy baby boy born March 1, 2012 <3

My friend ButterflyKiss provided this quote from Laura Bush's book and I think it captures how many of us feel:"The English language lacks the words to mourn an absence... for someone who was never there at all, we are wordless to capture that particular emptiness. For those who deeply want children and are denied them, those missing babies hover like silent, ephemeral shadows over their lives. Who can describe the feel of a tiny hand that is never held?"

#3 Nickster

Nickster

Honorary PhD

• 698 posts
  • Interests:community theatre, gardening and our never-ending home renovations
  • My Clinic:formerly Repromed; now Create

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:51 PM

I've got a few good ones on the go and a bunch more in the 'hurry up and get to me file'. DH gave me a Sony e-reader for Christmas and I love, love, love it. It's great for taking with you everywhere and has helped pass the time on more than one visit to the clinic LOL.

Recently read:
"The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society" by Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows. It piqued my interest as it's set in Guernsey and we have relatives there. It's a lovely story set post WWII on the island of Guernsey and at the end of the day deals with, in my mind, what 'family' means. Loved it!

"Nothing's Sacred" by Lewis Black. It's an autobiography of the comedian Lewis Black; I've always loved his wry sense of humour and squewed sense of politics; the book had me laughing out loud.

"The Book of Negroes" by Lawrence Hill. Powerful; loved it. Have another of the author's books "Any Known Blood" and can't wait to see how it compares.

Currently reading "When you are Engulfed in Flames" by David Sedaris. It's a collection of anecdotes from the author's life and was touted as hilarious...I'm only 15 pages in; not bad so far, but not as funny as I had hoped.

All time favourites, especially when I need a good laugh-out-loud, tears running down my face kind of read, are the Vinyl Cafe books by Stuart McClean. The stories of Dave and his family can be poignant to plain silly, but they always leave me feeling better than when I started reading.

I'm forever buying books and never quite have the time to spend loafing and reading....but this 2ww I plan on occupying myself with some good books, in the hope of passing time reading rather than worrying about beta day LOL!!
Me (Nicki) 44 DH (Kevin) 45
2 furbabies in heaven in '09..I miss you both
Welcomed our new furbaby, Angus 12/09 2nd furbaby, Kismet (aka Haz-Mat) adopted 2/10
Married 1999; Natural pg 2003; m/c 6 weeks
IVF#1: Agonist Protocol, full ICSI & AH
ER 9/06/08: 5 retrieved, 4 fertilized ET 9/09/08:(3) 8 cell embies
Beta 9/23/08 195 Beta 9/25 439
1st u/s 10/08 Non-viable pg @ 6 weeks (again at 6th week...hmmm....)
Nov/Dec: Flottila of tests requested by us to help rule out reasons for m/c; awaiting results.
May 2009: moved to new clinic; awaiting more test results before deciding how to proceed. Tick tock...
July 2009: AMH 18.8, FSH 7; all looks good BUT my eggs are still old. Time is precious, moving on to DE.
Sept 2009: Donor selected at last!
DER est. 11/24; ET 11/27
11/16/09: donor not responding well to stims. Sigh. What now??
11/17/09: 1st set of IP's going exclusive; we're sitting on the curb.
12/07/09: found a new donor (whew). Cycling in Feb 2010?
2/27/10: CD2 check done; DE retrieval est. 3/16/10...here we go again!
3/14/10: Donor triggering; ER 3/16, ET 3/19
3/17/10: (shared cycle) 12 retrieved, 7 mature, 4 fertilized. Four??!!!! Thud.
3/19/10: ET (2) 8 cells 'Laurel & Hardy'; (1) 9 cell frozen.
HPT's all negative. Beta Good Friday 4/02 BFN.
Next step is FET with our lone frostie. Not optimistic. Sigh.
6/21/10: Took an emotional break and feeling better. Will try our FET in late summer and then we're done. But it's all good now :)

RIP, Dad 3/30/10. I'm glad you're no longer in pain but my heart aches.

#4 ducky

ducky
  • Cyclebase
  • 124 posts
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 19 March 2010 - 09:11 PM

DiXie - you read my mind! I was thinking of starting up a book thread too!

I love to read. I always have a couple of books on the go. I read a bit of everything - fiction, non-fiction, historical, chick lit, contemporary, etc. I love Canadian fiction. My all-time favorite book is The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood. I also love The Birth House by Ami McKay. Right now I am in the middle of Rush Home Road by Lori Lansens.

I have to recommend an awesome website for keeping track of what you have read and finding new recommendations etc. It's http://www.goodreads.com
Feel free to add me as a friend on there! PM me and I'll send you my username.
TTC since Fall 2006.
Me: 31 DH: 31
Diagnosis - unexplained, DH count and morphology a tad below normal, IVF #1 indicated an ovarian reserve issue

Oct - Dec 2009: 3 IUI's with Clomid, all BFN

April 2010 - IVF Long Protocol w/ICSI -- BFN

February 2011 - IVF #2 Microdose Lupron w/ICSI

#5 Luckypenny

Luckypenny
  • Cyclebase
  • 1837 posts
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Centre

Posted 20 March 2010 - 11:58 AM

I LOVE Kristin Hannah books. Warning, this books are tearjerkers, and I have read a couple that have had me totally sobbing. The first one I read was Firefly Lane (it very much reminded me of the movie Beaches, with Bette Midler). Another one that I have read called The Things We Do For Love touched on the topic of IF. Here is a description of it:
The youngest of three daughters, Angela DeSaria Malone was always "the princess" of the family, a girl who thought she knew how her life would unfold. High School. College. Marriage. Motherhood. That was how it had gone for her sisters, her cousins, her friends. But it didn't work out that way for Angie. She and her husband tried desperately to have a child; year after year, their perfectly decorated nursery remained empty. Finally, their marriage collapsed under the weight of lost dreams.

After the divorce, Angie moved back to her hometown and rejoined her loud, loving, slightly crazy family. In West End, a place where life rises and falls in time with the tides, she will find the man who once again will open her heart to love…and meet the girl who will change Angie's life.

Lauren Ribido lives in a rundown apartment in a bad part of town with a mother who cares more about her next drink than about her daughter. At seventeen, Lauren knows that her aspirations in life may never come to pass.

From the moment they meet, Angie sees something special in Lauren. They form a quick connection, this woman who is desperate for a daughter and the girl who has never known a mother's love. When Lauren is abandoned by her mother, Angie doesn't hesitate to offer the girl a place to stay.

But nothing could have prepared Angie for the far-reaching repercussions of this act of kindness. In a dramatic turn of events, she and Lauren will be tested in a way that mothers and daughters seldom are. Together they will embark on an intensely moving, deeply emotional journey to the very heart of what it means to be a family.

Me: 35 DH:35
Dx: Unexplained
Started ttc September 2006
November 2007 - Initial consult at LifeQuest
January 2008 - Diagnostic testing.
February 2008 - Test results - No problems with DH. Dr. suspected I had a PCOS variant and that I probably wasn't ovulating. Suggested superovulation (injectibles) with or without IUI
Decided to forgo treatment for the time being and focus on improving my health.
March 2008 - October 2009 - LOTS of alternative therapy. You name it, I tried it!
February 2009 - confirmed via cycle monitoring I was now ovulating and my ovaries both look fine. Officially unexplained IF. Hmmm, now what?
Next Steps: Had initial consult with Dr. Virro at Markham Fertility Centre on October 1, 2009. Hysteroscopy/laproscopy performed on February 5, 2010. Post op appointment on March 8, 2010. Found out one small spot of endo removed from uterus and a very tiny septum resected.
Started BCP on March 31, 2010.
First IVF (first anything!) cycle after.
Last BCP April 20th.
Started stims: April 25 (Puregon - varied from 100iu to 42.5iu, Menopur - 75iu, and orgalutron)
ER date - May 5th.
14 retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized - 4 via IVF, 3 via ICSI
3 days past retrieval - 5 8-cell embryos (3 via IVF, 2 via ICSI), 2 lagging 6-cell embryos (1 via IVF, 1 via ICSI)
ET on May 10, 5day past retrieval - tranferred 1 "superb, could sell it on e-bay" embaby - grade 5AB0! 4 more "lovely" totsicles (2 5day, 2 6day). The ivf embies did better than the icsi embies.
Beta - May 21s: BFP! Beta was 507! Still early days, but we're happy to be pg!
Viability scan - June 11. Baby right on track, heartrate of 140bpm, measuring 7weeks 1day at just over 1cm long. HOWEVER, big cyst in my right ovary. Going back for another u/s in two weeks to monitor the cyst.
U/S to monitor cyst - June 24 - cyst shrank slightly. Baby still measuring on track, 9weeks 1day and just over 2cm long, heartrate of 167bpm
12week u/s - July 12 - cyst had shrank to 2cm. Baby looked like a baby! Moving around and flailing arms and legs. Just over 5.5cm long, heartrate of 160bpm. Nuchal scan and nasal bone both looked good. Doctor's appointment went well.
20 week ultrasound and doctors appointment - baby looks good - its a girl :) Test results from IPS test show a 1 in 20,000 risk of a chromosomal abnormality. Placenta is partially covering cervix, doctor will check again at 32 weeks.
26 week doctors appointment - GD test
30 week doctors appointment - got GD test results, I passed. Baby measuring on track, good strong heartbeat :)
32 week doctors appointment - u/s to check placenta position to see if it has been pulled up from my cervix and also to check baby's size

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#6 hopeful123

hopeful123
  • Global Moderators
  • 4938 posts
  • Interests:golf,ski,scrap booking ,gardning ,rollerblading
  • Dx:Immunological
  • My Clinic:sirm

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:05 PM

i love reading so much that i have joined 2 book clubs .. call me silly ...
the best one ever i think is
"the faith club " by 3 mothers a muslim christian and jew trying to find similarities in their religions in the wake of 9/11 ,all live in new york , since then i had also joined the faith clubs its just like book clubs
"three cups of tea" by greg mortenson ,a mountaineer from montana who failed to climb k2 the second highest peak in the world ,but he is not a failure , he fell got really hurt and was brought back to life by poor villigers that live in the foot hills of himalayas ,as a pay back he promissed to build a school for girls .... he has built 136 schools in pakistan and afghanistan
sam
me:33 ,dh:30
ttc:8y
3 natural m/c dec 99, mar 01,oct 07
clomid x1 -ohss
lap x 1 apr/05-endomet left tube blocked,half of left ovary resected
1st ivf cycle nov/05 developed mild ohss again
DEC 2ND/05 BFP u/s small sac slow heart beat small fetus misscariage at 9 weeks 1 day
fet may 06 -cancelled due to very rare -sub acute viral thyroiditis
fet oct 20-bfp ,beta 700 on nov 1 ,1700 on nov 3,3900 on nov 5 u/s 2 small sacs ,slow heart beat small fetuses m/c nov 23/06 ,day of our 9th wedding annivrsay
1 blast still frozen
IVF#2 july 07 7 BLASTS FROZEN 2 normal 2 have trisomies 3 not tested less than 6 cell on day 3 fet oct 25/07,transferred 2 instead of one ...oops
1st beta nov 2 bfp (again) 23,2nd beta 83 ,3rd beta 371 u/s nov 21 hb 118 bpm
beautiful baby boy Nayal born via planned c-section on july 3rd 2008 @ 12:35 pm

#7 Nickster

Nickster

Honorary PhD

• 698 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 02:54 PM

Thanks, Sam....3 cups of tea sounds great. Even better, it's listed on the Sony e-reader site so I've purchased it. Know what I'll be reading tomorrow!

Cheers,
Nicki
Welcomed our new furbaby, Angus 12/09 2nd furbaby, Kismet (aka Haz-Mat) adopted 2/10
Nov/Dec: Flottila of tests requested by us to help rule out reasons for m/c; awaiting results.
May 2009: moved to new clinic; awaiting more test results before deciding how to proceed. Tick tock...
July 2009: AMH 18.8, FSH 7; all looks good BUT my eggs are still old. Time is precious, moving on to DE.
DER est. 11/24; ET 11/27
6/21/10: Took an emotional break and feeling better. Will try our FET in late summer and then we're done. But it's all good now :)

#8 Nekodog

Nekodog
  • 239 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:32 PM

Village of the Small Houses by Ian Ferguson is a very easy and funny read. If you want a light feel-good story, that's a great book. I am also on the hunt for (light hearted) books to distract me from this IVF cycle :).

#9 Nickster

Nickster

Honorary PhD

• 698 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 04:45 AM

Nekodog:

the Vinyl Cafe books are the ultimate light-hearted, feel-good books...perfect for the 2ww :).

Has anyone else read "the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency" by Alexander McCall Smith? There's a whole series; I'm on #3...they're also quite light, but I enjoyed them thoroughly.

N.
DER est. 11/24; ET 11/27

#10 DiXie

DiXie
  • 1000+
  • 1140 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:49 AM

YAY Ladies! I am so glad so so many readers on the site!

Mollygirl - I feel the same about Jodi, I usually need a break from her books..so read one of hers then 10 other and then hers again lol
Next one I want to read is Vanishing Acts..have you read?? What did you think?

Ducky - I wanted to read a Birth House for a while now and every time I go to Chapters I pick it up and change my mind, the description doesn't really invite me in...did you find it really good and easy to read?

I read so many books so far and they have all been so good. I tried to get into Paulo Coheo books but some of them are just so weird but very eye opening, I recommend 18 Minutes and Alechmist by him.

I am sure everyone read Kite Runner and Thousand Splendid Suns?? Just some amazing reads about Afaghanistan!

An easy read to get into if you like Egypt is Michelle Morans's Nefertiti and Heretic Queen - I little on the love side but explains nicely about the way Egyptians lived - I LOVED Them both and can't wait to read Cleopatra's Dauther!

Talking about history - Pillars of Earth by Ken Follet OMG amazing! I was so amazed that I plan on reading his next book World without the end..
just waiting for it to go on sale lol But be aware it's like 1000 pages long...

DO NOT try to read Memory's Keeper dauther..I found the writing and the theme to be very bad...This was probably the only book I never liked...Anyone else read it feels the same way?

There so many more! Let me know if you need more details on any of the books I listed or we can start a disscuation on some we all read :)

#11 hopeful123

hopeful123
  • Global Moderators
  • 4938 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 02:14 PM

if you girls like cartoons/caricature /pictures
the 2 books i have read so far and now hooked on are
persepolis by margie satrapi ,her lifw story ..a girl growing up in iran through the revolution
maus by art spiegleman ,his father's survival through the haulicaust
sam
clomid x1 -ohss
DEC 2ND/05 BFP u/s small sac slow heart beat small fetus misscariage at 9 weeks 1 day
fet oct 20-bfp ,beta 700 on nov 1 ,1700 on nov 3,3900 on nov 5 u/s 2 small sacs ,slow heart beat small fetuses m/c nov 23/06 ,day of our 9th wedding annivrsay
1 blast still frozen
IVF#2 july 07 7 BLASTS FROZEN 2 normal 2 have trisomies 3 not tested less than 6 cell on day 3 fet oct 25/07,transferred 2 instead of one ...oops

#12 ducky

ducky
  • Cyclebase
  • 124 posts

Posted 21 March 2010 - 05:24 PM

Ducky - I wanted to read a Birth House for a while now and every time I go to Chapters I pick it up and change my mind, the description doesn't really invite me in...did you find it really good and easy to read?

I couldn't put the book down. I found it to be a very easy and fast read.
TTC since Fall 2006.
Diagnosis - unexplained, DH count and morphology a tad below normal, IVF #1 indicated an ovarian reserve issue

#13 Nekodog

Nekodog
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:22 PM

I loved the Birth House too. Couldn't put it down!

I love Vinyl Cafe too. DH and I have them on audiobook and listen to them on trips in the car.

#14 Nekodog

Nekodog
  • 239 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 11:23 PM

Life of Pi is still my all time favourite.

#15 brneyedgirl

brneyedgirl
  • Global 100+
  • 304 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Hannam Fertility Clinic

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:19 AM

I love to read. I have all the Danielle Steele books. Before I got married I had over 500 books. But I ended up giving most of them away it was just to many to keep. What i do now is usually read a book and pass it on to friends.

Right now i'm reading a book called Family Tree by Barbara Delinsky. Its really good. I'm at the beginning still. Its about a woman who has a baby but the baby is born looking African.
They couple is baffled by this and think that this comes from her fathers side, as she doesn't know who her father is.

I wouldn't mind passing this book on after i'm done. So if your interested let me know.

Nickster - I googled the e-reader and it looks amazing. I'm not very techie so i didn't know about this. But I think I'm going to get one. You can even download books from the library web site.
Brneyedgirl
Married: September 30, 2006
TTCing Since:December 22, 2006
me: 40 dh:37

7 IUI'S - All cancelled due to poor response

IVF #1 October - CANCELLED(Oct 8th)!!!!!
BCP Sept 11 for 16 days, start Lupron sept 23rd, start Gonal F Oct 3rd, Double dose on gonal f to 600 - Oct 6

IVF #2 Mar. 4th - Random BW & US
Mar. 6th - 27th marvelon
Apr. 1 cycle review date and pre-stimulation assessment
Apr. 3 day 1 - start gonal f 450 & menopur 150
Apr 17 day 15 ER!!!
Apr 20 ET
Beta - May 4th BFN

May 27th - Followup with RE

My Blog: http://waitingforami...y.blogspot.com/

#16 chocolatelover

chocolatelover
  • Global 100+
  • 267 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Hannam

Posted 24 March 2010 - 11:50 AM

The Birth House was a great book - loved it!

I just finished reading Still Alice by Lisa Genova. Wow...what an amazing book. I could not put it down. I just finished it this past weekend.

A few of my other favourites: The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen, The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill.

Right now I'm reading The Little Giant of Aberdeen County.

Dixie - I heard The Memory Keepers Daughter was an amazing book. I have it, and it is on my "to read" list.

Luckypenny - I've been told I need to read Firefly Lane and that's it's a tear jerker, but awesome book. My friend LOVES reading Kristin Hannah books, and I haven't read any so she's going to lend me a couple :)
Me: 33 DH: 33
Dx: Azoospermia due to CBAVD

IVF w/ICSI #1 - Apr/May 2010
May 8/10 - ER!! DH's PESA - 12 eggs retrieved, lots of swimmers found!!
May 13/10 - ET!! 5dt of 2 blasts!! Only 1 lonely frostie.
May 27/10 - 14dp5dt +hpt - BETA #1 results: 1,098....BFP!!!
May 31/10 - Beta #2 RESULTS: 3,840
June 10/10 - 1st u/s shows one little bean - h/b 122bpm
July 19/10 - NT Scan appt. went great - h/b 159 bpm
Sept 2/10 - Anatomy scan - baby looks great! H/B 160 bpm
Our Daughter was born on Jan 27, 2011 at 6lbs 7oz!!! Soooo in love!

FET #1 - Feb 2012
Feb 17/12 - FET Transfer - one 5 day blast transferred
Feb 23/12 - POAS...BFP!!
Feb 29/12 - POAS...BFP!!
Mar 2/10 - Beta #1 RESULTS: 1190
Mar 5/10 - Beta #2 RESULTS: 4510

#17 ducky

ducky
  • Cyclebase
  • 124 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:54 PM

The Birth House was a great book - loved it!

I just finished reading Still Alice by Lisa Genova. Wow...what an amazing book. I could not put it down. I just finished it this past weekend.

A few of my other favourites: The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls, Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen, The Book of Negroes by Lawrence Hill.

Right now I'm reading The Little Giant of Aberdeen County.

Dixie - I heard The Memory Keepers Daughter was an amazing book. I have it, and it is on my "to read" list.

I've read each of the books chocolatelover lists above, and they are all great.

Other books I've read recently and loved: The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver; The Sea Captain's Wife by Beth Powning; The Bishop's Man by Linden MacIntyre; The Wife's Tale by Lori Lansens; and The Outlander by Gil Adamson.

Right now, I'm reading The Waterproof Bible by Andrew Kaufman. It's a strange story, but it's good.
TTC since Fall 2006.

#18 DiXie

DiXie
  • 1000+
  • 1140 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 07:15 AM

Just finshed reading Chasing Harry Winston..and I have mixed feelings about it, while it was a quick read it reminded me too much of Sex and the city less Carrie if you know what I mean...lol
Sometimes I hate how these writes make women in their books so weak! I just want to get in there and slap them!

Anyway..Right now started reading Key to Rebecca by Ken Follet and I can not put it down!

#19 Luckypenny

Luckypenny
  • Cyclebase
  • 1837 posts
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Centre

Posted 04 April 2010 - 07:04 PM

I loved The Red Tent by Anita Diamant. I read it quite some time ago, but I was reminded of it recently.
Me: 35 DH:35
Dx: Unexplained
Started ttc September 2006
November 2007 - Initial consult at LifeQuest
January 2008 - Diagnostic testing.
February 2008 - Test results - No problems with DH. Dr. suspected I had a PCOS variant and that I probably wasn't ovulating. Suggested superovulation (injectibles) with or without IUI
Decided to forgo treatment for the time being and focus on improving my health.
March 2008 - October 2009 - LOTS of alternative therapy. You name it, I tried it!
February 2009 - confirmed via cycle monitoring I was now ovulating and my ovaries both look fine. Officially unexplained IF. Hmmm, now what?
Next Steps: Had initial consult with Dr. Virro at Markham Fertility Centre on October 1, 2009. Hysteroscopy/laproscopy performed on February 5, 2010. Post op appointment on March 8, 2010. Found out one small spot of endo removed from uterus and a very tiny septum resected.
Started BCP on March 31, 2010.
First IVF (first anything!) cycle after.
Last BCP April 20th.
Started stims: April 25 (Puregon - varied from 100iu to 42.5iu, Menopur - 75iu, and orgalutron)
ER date - May 5th.
14 retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized - 4 via IVF, 3 via ICSI
3 days past retrieval - 5 8-cell embryos (3 via IVF, 2 via ICSI), 2 lagging 6-cell embryos (1 via IVF, 1 via ICSI)
ET on May 10, 5day past retrieval - tranferred 1 "superb, could sell it on e-bay" embaby - grade 5AB0! 4 more "lovely" totsicles (2 5day, 2 6day). The ivf embies did better than the icsi embies.
Beta - May 21s: BFP! Beta was 507! Still early days, but we're happy to be pg!
Viability scan - June 11. Baby right on track, heartrate of 140bpm, measuring 7weeks 1day at just over 1cm long. HOWEVER, big cyst in my right ovary. Going back for another u/s in two weeks to monitor the cyst.
U/S to monitor cyst - June 24 - cyst shrank slightly. Baby still measuring on track, 9weeks 1day and just over 2cm long, heartrate of 167bpm
12week u/s - July 12 - cyst had shrank to 2cm. Baby looked like a baby! Moving around and flailing arms and legs. Just over 5.5cm long, heartrate of 160bpm. Nuchal scan and nasal bone both looked good. Doctor's appointment went well.
20 week ultrasound and doctors appointment - baby looks good - its a girl :) Test results from IPS test show a 1 in 20,000 risk of a chromosomal abnormality. Placenta is partially covering cervix, doctor will check again at 32 weeks.
26 week doctors appointment - GD test
30 week doctors appointment - got GD test results, I passed. Baby measuring on track, good strong heartbeat :)
32 week doctors appointment - u/s to check placenta position to see if it has been pulled up from my cervix and also to check baby's size

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#20 DiXie

DiXie
  • 1000+
  • 1140 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:32 AM

Luckypenny I loved the Red Tent!!!!! it was an amazing read!
Did you read any of her other books??

#21 sethsmom

sethsmom
  • Cyclebase
  • 331 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:ISIS

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:47 AM

I am a huge Danielle Steel fan too....love her books

Right now, I am reading "How to make love like a Porn Star" it's the story of Jenna Jameson...I know not very inspirational, but my SIL gave it to me and I had nothing else...

But I am looking for some good reads..this thread will be good...
Grady David James, born December 17, 2010, 12:12 am, 7 lbs 2 oz.

#22 capo

capo
  • Global 100+
  • 453 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:05 AM

Luckypenny I loved the Red Tent!!!!! it was an amazing read!
Did you read any of her other books??

I loved the Red Tent too and am also curious about her other books!

A new one that I want to read is Commitment by the author of Eat, Pray, Love.
Me-35, DH - 41
TTC since 2005 - high FSH/low ovarian reserve and endo
Ectopic pregnancy Dec 2006
3 cycles clomid (Ob Gyn) - BFN
TCART
2 IUIs (Letrosol) - BFN
3 IUIS (Menopur & Letrosol) - 1 chemical pg
OFC
IVF#1/ICSI Feb./Mar. 2009 (Puregon & Repronex) 6 retrieved, 5 fertilized, 2 embies 3dt - BFN
July 20 - Laparoscopy & laser for stage 2 endometriosis, tubes clear
Sept. 2009 - Approved for CAS adoption!!
Create
IVF#2/ICSI Dec. 2009 - natural cycle - BFN
IVF#3 planned for Feb. 2010, but life had better plans:
Jan. 2010 Nicholas is our CAS miracle! Our son is home and we are ecstatic!
April 2010 surprise natural BFP - Allyson was born December 31st 2010!

What a year - we are truly happy and beyond grateful!

#23 hopeful123

hopeful123
  • Global Moderators
  • 4938 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:56 AM

i want to read "commitment " too ,let me know if you like it
eat love and pray was a good read ,but at times it feels like dragging tooooooo long
i like non-fiction ,if any one can suggest a good one that would be great
sam
clomid x1 -ohss
1 blast still frozen

#24 mollygirl21

mollygirl21
  • Cyclebase
  • 1513 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 12:13 PM

The Poisonwood Bible is a good read. It's about a minister and his family who go to live in Africa to bring religion to them in the 50's and about their life while there. It certainly changed my understanding of the issues in Africa. Really really great book, interesting story and topic. It was one of Oprah's picks a few years ago.
After 3+ years, my cycle history is quite long. For details on each cycle, please visit my "About Me" page

Trying since fall 2007
All tests show normal (we're "unexplained")

COH+IUI in Nov 08 = BFN
IVF # 1 Feb 09 - BFN
IVF #2 June 2009 - BFP
13 week u/s showed a missed m/c. Baby stopped developing around 8 weeks. Damn.

Moving on to adoption :)
March 22, 2010 - finished PRIDE classes
waiting to begin homestudy sometime in the next two years. That's not a typo - TWO YEARS
Feb 2012 - got a call that they are ready to start our home study...putting off all adoption decisions for at least 6 months because I am 2 weeks from my due date (see below)

Feb 2011 - we've been offered donor embryos! FET in a few months after preliminary tests are done...
FET June 2011:
May 7 - start suprefact and low dose aspirin (on CD21)
May 14 - AF started - super heavy and I'm super cranky. Headaches from the suprefact too
May 21 - starting Estrace and both of us start antibiotics
June 3 - u/s to check lining
June 8 - FET
June 21 - Beta is 564. June 24 Beta is 2286
July 12 - first u/s at 7w1d
Aug 18 - second u/s at 12w4d - everything looks great
Aug 30 - first prenatal appt
Oct 6 - 20w anatomy scan, could find out the sex!
It's a BOY!!
EDD is Feb 26, 2012
beautiful healthy baby boy born March 1, 2012 <3

My friend ButterflyKiss provided this quote from Laura Bush's book and I think it captures how many of us feel:"The English language lacks the words to mourn an absence... for someone who was never there at all, we are wordless to capture that particular emptiness. For those who deeply want children and are denied them, those missing babies hover like silent, ephemeral shadows over their lives. Who can describe the feel of a tiny hand that is never held?"

#25 DiXie

DiXie
  • 1000+
  • 1140 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:12 PM

hopefull - what kind of non fiction do you like??

Have you read Bright Shiny Morning by James Frey: I found it interesting and different!

One of the most celebrated and controversial authors in America delivers an extraordinary novel-a sweeping chronicle of contemporary Los Angeles that is bold, exhilarating, and utterly original. Dozens of characters pass through the reader's sight lines-some never to be seen again-but James Frey lingers on a handful of LA's lost souls and captures the dramatic narrative of their lives. A dazzling tour de force, Bright Shiny Morning illuminates the joys, horrors, and unexpected fortunes of life and death in Los Angeles.

The only thing I did not like about the book was too many facts about LA but easy to skip lol