Stressing to lose weight - Yoga, Nutrition and Fitness for Fertility - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Stressing to lose weight

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 whattodo

whattodo
  • 99 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Calgary, Foothills

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:02 AM

I am trying really hard to make lifestyle changes but I am stressed about it. I need/want to lose weight before we attemt ivf and to change my ways permanently. It's the only thing I hate about myself. I am 253 lbs and I really want to get to 200 before we proceed. It's been a life long battle for me and I've made the resolve in the past to change with no success. I need this time to be different. I had a blood clot in my leg about 14 yrs ago that left me with a lot of swelling and vericose veins. It aches and is painful sometimes which makes exercising hard. Losing weight won't take the damage away but it would help me tremendously, especially if I do become pregnant. It would help me tremendously in all areas of my life-health and mental health overall. I don't want this to be the only reason I don't attempt ivf, and at this point it is the only thing delaying me. I don't want to feel this way anymore. I want to be proud of myself for once and accomplish this life long struggle and feel free.It's always been a monkey on my back that I just can't seem to get off. This is what i am doing so far: exercising at curves minimum 3x per week, bowling 1 day per week, no deepfried foods, eating only healthy snacks after supper. I am trying to drink more water too. I will gladly accept suggestions or ideas to help me stay focussed and motivated. Thanks for reading.
I'm 38, DH 32
Married almost 10 years
After Testicular Biopsy testing for husband figured out very low count/mobility
TTC using 3 donor IUI's in 2006 Not sucessful, treated in Saskatchewan
Adopted our SON born Sept/07!!! Our little Prince.
Adopted our DAUGHTER born Jan 7/09!!! Our little Princess.
Who knew we'd have children 15 mths apart?! Grateful to have both of them in our lives.
Info session attended in Calgary Nov/09 for ivf.
Decided to persue IVF (with ICSI). Hopeful to start in April/May 2010. We're excited and scared. Decided to start blogging our journey.
One of the most valuable quotes I've ever heard to deal with heartache and to remember: It's ok to cry- "Tears are the safetly valve of the heart when there is too much pressure on it"
Had the horrifying HSG repeated again Mar 17/10-it hurt like hell and I sure didn't have "the luck of the Irish" today. lol.
Hopeful to accept/be offered treatment in May/June 2010 and get this process going. Scared and Excited.
May 20th/10 Got the call! Super excited, nervous and scared!Take it one day at a time.
Tentative Schedule : Start Suprefact nasal May 30th, Ultrasound June 14th, Start Stims June 15th, ER June 28th, ET July 3rd.
May 26th/10 Made payment to the clinic-no turning back now lol.
Converted to IUI June 30/10 as my follicles are inaccessable and it would be too dangerous to attempt ER therefore IVF not an option for us. Very Disappointed.
Very shocked to have a BFP!!! Betas July 15th(28), July 19th (152), July 23rd (173) July 25th (178)
Bleeding/cramping started July 21st. Not sure If we'll make it, so scary.
Due date Mar 24/11.
Very painful miscarriage. Heartbroken.

#2 figuresk8er

figuresk8er
  • 1000+
  • 303 posts
  • Dx:Vasectomy
  • My Clinic:Markham

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:35 AM

Hi Whattodo

I hear you on the weight struggle. I have been battling the same 20 pounds for almost 3 years now... I'm not sure if it's my age or what is making them so hard to get rid of. I have found the one thing that keeps me losing instead of maintaining or gaining is to track what I'm eating (EVERYDAY! NO EXCUSES) and to weigh myself every morning. I know not to expect weight loss every day but if I"m able to see the days I slip I can look back at the type of food, the amount of it and the time it was eaten I have a new mini goal for that day.

Good luck! There is really no better reason to stick with what you started when the outcome is a baby :)
ME-33 (PCOS), DH-40 (Vasectomy 1998), DS1-14, DS2-12
Feb 19 - dIUI #1 - 25mg Clomid- 1 follie - BFN
March - 25 mg Clomid - No ovulation
May 8 - dIUI#2 - 50mg Clomid - 2 follies - BFN
July 2009 - September - Polyp removal & Recovery
November- 50 mg Clomid - CD11 found Cyst on ovary
December - 50 mg Clomid - Cyst gone - Polyp found.
February 1 - Polyp removal
March - 50mg Clomid - No ovulation
April - 75mg Clomid & 1500mg metformin - BFN
This is very likely the end of our Fertility journey.

My Blog

#3 Tina37

Tina37
  • Advisor
  • 998 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 06 February 2010 - 11:29 AM

Hi Whattodo,

You may want to join weight watchers. They have an online option for those who don't need weekly encouragement. If you do need the support, go to the meetings. I find if I am accoutable and track what I am eating, that helps with achieving my goals. Set small goal's for yourself that are realistic. Once you get to that goal, set another one ect. Just take it one day at a time, one moment at a time. Try not to look at how much you have to take off. Focus only on your first set goal. If you have an emotional issue's that would cause you to over eat, you will want to deal with those also. Perhaps talking to someone will help. Good Luck
Me 40 DH 43IVF 2008 BFPFET 20011 BFNIVF mini Stim 2012 BFNOnto FInal IVF April 2012.Long ProtocolVit-supplementsCoQ10Omega 3 fish oilProgressive prenatal VitB-ComplexFolic Acid 5mg dailyVit-CAcupuncture pre and post ET. Highly recommend this!ET April 30thBFP May 10th 10dp3dt2dp3dt noticed cramping on the left side, pain went down my leg.3dp3dt Cramping continue's till 6dp3dt on and off.6dp3dt noticed breast tenderness9dp3dt continued changes in bbs.10dp3dt BFP hpt6 week US May 29th. Saw Heartbeat!Come on little bean, keep growing! Nicolas born Oct 31 @ 28 weeks. Spent 10 weeks in the NICU. Home and doing great!

#4 Flutterbye

Flutterbye
  • 248 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Foothills

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:49 PM

Hi! I wish you the best of luck with your journey.... it's never easy. I agree with Tina, WW is a wonderful program. Have you spoken to your doctor about your goals?
I'm reading a fantastic book right now that I would highly suggest you checking out. It's called "master your metabolism" by Jillian Michaels. She makes very good points in it.
Kristi ~ Mom to my miracles Kalina(11.09.06) & Kian(08.16.09)Wife to Ian & Step-mom to Josiah (10.19.96)

#5 happytoday

happytoday
  • Global 100+
  • 114 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Markham

Posted 16 February 2010 - 02:38 PM

Eating clean by Tosca Reno is a good book. I read somewhere (maybe in that book) that losing weight is about 80% food related and 20% excersize. Weight watchers is a good plan to keep on track if you don't think you can do it yourself.

With excersize I have found that I see the best results when I really push myself beyond my normal comfort zone. A lot of people at the gym just go through the motions.

You can do anything you set your mind to.

#6 goingfor3

goingfor3
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:My children, My husband, dance, yoga, reading, travel, travel and more travel....fine dining, wine, spa retreats and spending time with my gal pals

Posted 16 February 2010 - 06:56 PM

Sometimes I find it easier to take away one "indulgence" at a time- for example if you are a pop drinker-stop.....for one week live like you normally do without the pop....(I'm just using pop, but whatever it may be);

Every week take away something else, but always replace it with a healthy alternative. Still using pop as the example, replace it with a fruit/yogurt smoothie-I usually whip this up for breakfast or a late night snack:

1 cup lowfat plain yogurt
Mixed berries 1/2 cup
Banana (basically whatever fruit you have in the house)
1 cup fruit juice (100% Juice-No "Beverage" type drink)

There are so many great ideas for healthy living that will help you reach your weigh loss goals and really make a huge difference in all aspects of your life.

If you need any ideas for healthy recipes let me know-I love this and it makes me so excited when other people want to make healthy changes!!

Oh....Something that always helps me is when I have someone to excerise with--even if it is nightly walks....just make sure that this person will nag you and make you go (if you're like me....I need some "encouragment" !! lol
The past is the past and this is my future....
I have a wonderful DH and two beauties.....
trying for one more....
here goes my 5th ivf cycle...just waiting on the call
EDD-July 11/2010
[b]Twins again!

#7 wishuponastar

wishuponastar
  • Cyclebase
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:I love reading, scrapbooking, music, spending the day with my beautiful daughters.
  • My Clinic:RFP, Foothills Hospital, Calgary, AB

Posted 17 February 2010 - 01:11 AM

Hi Whattodo - just wanted to write in to let you know I feel for you. I've been struggling with my weight for what seems like forever. I seem to lose the same 30 lbs over and over (guess it keeps finding me). Before my IVF, I was also really stressing about losing weight. I know at the Edmonton clinic, they will refuse you based on BMI, but it was never an issue at the Calgary clinic. There are some slight success rate advantages to losing some weight before you cycle too. I am a stress-eater though, and so it never seemed to work for me if I was using "by this date on the calendar" or "by this appointment" because I'd stress out, eat, feel disappointed in myself, and eat more. I guess the best way would be to be realistic, and also find a plan that works that's not too far removed from your current lifestyle. If you currently eat a lot of snacks and stuff, heading to weight watchers would totally help because you can follow it without "cheating" and spend your points throughout the day when you'd normally snack. So it would cause you less stress than, say, switching to a more extreme, body-building type of plan if you are not used to eating really clean foods. (of course, gradually switching to a cleaner diet is going to help you)I really love the online weight watchers plan, and it's really inexpensive. All the info that is given at the meetings is online. Only thing is, you have to hold yourself accountable. If you like pre-packaged convenience-type foods, I would also recommend trying Jenny Craig. It is expensive because you have to buy their food at first, (they cut their foods out gradually as you move towards maintenance)...but their food is soooo yummy (and I am fussy). What I spend on buying junk all week and eating at fast food joints was redirected to Jenny Craig and I still came out ahead financially. I would NOT recommend Nutrisystem (available at Costco now)...most of it is powdery food that you have to reconstitute with water, so in my opinion, unless you are training to be an astronaut - not something most people can stick to for any length of time! Anyway, you are totally making the right choice by heading to Curves - that place really works. Even if you just cut out junk and workout at Curves, you are going to get there! Good luck and I really hope that your first IVF is the lucky one! Best wishes.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

#8 whattodo

whattodo
  • 99 posts
  • My Clinic:Calgary, Foothills

Posted 24 February 2010 - 11:45 PM

Thank you everyone for your caring responses and tips on healthy living. I am doing really well-I've made quite a few significant lifestyle changes and I am doing great so far. I haven't seen big numbers yet but I can feel myself losing in the way my clothes fit and how "soft" I am. I feel much better too and I'm proud of myself for trying. I am going on vacation for a week and when I come back I am going to pick up right where I left off. For once in my life I feel that I can do this for the long haul.
I'm 38, DH 32
Married almost 10 years
After Testicular Biopsy testing for husband figured out very low count/mobility
TTC using 3 donor IUI's in 2006 Not sucessful, treated in Saskatchewan
Adopted our SON born Sept/07!!! Our little Prince.
Adopted our DAUGHTER born Jan 7/09!!! Our little Princess.
Who knew we'd have children 15 mths apart?! Grateful to have both of them in our lives.
Info session attended in Calgary Nov/09 for ivf.
Decided to persue IVF (with ICSI). Hopeful to start in April/May 2010. We're excited and scared. Decided to start blogging our journey.
One of the most valuable quotes I've ever heard to deal with heartache and to remember: It's ok to cry- "Tears are the safetly valve of the heart when there is too much pressure on it"
Had the horrifying HSG repeated again Mar 17/10-it hurt like hell and I sure didn't have "the luck of the Irish" today. lol.
Hopeful to accept/be offered treatment in May/June 2010 and get this process going. Scared and Excited.
May 20th/10 Got the call! Super excited, nervous and scared!Take it one day at a time.
Tentative Schedule : Start Suprefact nasal May 30th, Ultrasound June 14th, Start Stims June 15th, ER June 28th, ET July 3rd.
May 26th/10 Made payment to the clinic-no turning back now lol.
Converted to IUI June 30/10 as my follicles are inaccessable and it would be too dangerous to attempt ER therefore IVF not an option for us. Very Disappointed.
Very shocked to have a BFP!!! Betas July 15th(28), July 19th (152), July 23rd (173) July 25th (178)
Bleeding/cramping started July 21st. Not sure If we'll make it, so scary.
Due date Mar 24/11.
Very painful miscarriage. Heartbroken.

#9 ducky

ducky
  • Cyclebase
  • 124 posts
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:29 PM

Congratulations on your success so far! I lost 25 pounds a couple of years ago and it was one of the hardest things I've ever done in my life. I've done pretty well at keeping it off, but more lately I've noticed a few pounds have been creeping back. I really do need to exercise more.

A couple of months ago I became vegetarian. I lost five pounds almost instantly. I hope to become vegan eventually. A healthy vegetarian or vegan diet can be really helpful with weight loss. Just make sure you are getting enough whole grains and protein from veggies and beans.
TTC since Fall 2006.
Me: 31 DH: 31
Diagnosis - unexplained, DH count and morphology a tad below normal, IVF #1 indicated an ovarian reserve issue

Oct - Dec 2009: 3 IUI's with Clomid, all BFN

April 2010 - IVF Long Protocol w/ICSI -- BFN

February 2011 - IVF #2 Microdose Lupron w/ICSI

#10 jhon01

jhon01
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:40 AM

Chronic stress and cortisol can contribute to weight gain in the following ways:

Metabolism -- Do you feel like you're prone to putting on more weight when you're stressed, even if you're eating the same amount of food as you always have? Too much cortisol can slow your metabolism, causing more weight gain than you would normally experience. This also makes dieting more difficult.

Cravings -- OK, you're stressed. Do you reach for a nice salad or a pint of Ben & Jerry's? I'll bet on the latter. People experiencing chronic stress tend to crave more fatty, salty and sugary foods. This includes sweets, processed food and other things that arenít as good for you. These foods are typically less healthy and lead to increased weight gain.

theta Meditation

#11 Michellealana

Michellealana
  • 100 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Ottawa Fertility Centre

Posted 13 August 2010 - 10:11 PM

HI there

I too have to lose some more weight before advancing in IVF. We have tried twice and I am not responding to the drugs at all. My doctor has suggested that it may be a possible cause. Obviously no one really knows if its the reason or not but it is worth a shot.
I joined weight watchers two years ago and lost 40 pounds. I thought that was enough but really it wasnt. My BMI is still higher than 30.
I rejoined this week and have done really well. All my life I have been overweight and it is a daily hard cycle but I need to succeed this time.
I have to really urge you though not to do any crash drastic fad diets. My doctor warned me against it as it is too stressful on your body and it does damage to your egg quality.
I guess at this point, I need to look at what is more important to me.... and how I am going to feel if I dont do this and I wake up when I am 50 and realize what i have done.... I dont want to be in that position ever.
If I do the weight loss and it still doesnt happen, i will have peace in knowing that I tried and it was not meant to be.... easier to take than the alternative.
please feel free to PM me is you want to chat... this is not easy by a longshot.... but you can do it.... I know if I can, anyone can....
:)

Michelle
[font="Book Antiqua"]2002- Left ovary removed- large dermoid cyst, had to remove both ovary and fallopian tube
2004-2009- ttc me:36. dh:42
November 3, 2009: Initial Consult, bloodwork
November 11, 2009: baseline ultrasound
November 26, 2009: dh sperm analysis
December 22, 2009: met to sign consent

IVF#1, April 2010- Cancelled CD8, not repsonding to meds (400 Puregon, 150 Repronex; prior cycle: Estradiol patch and Orgalutran)
May 14th: Follow up with RE... they believe I was on wrong protecal, starting again in July.

IVF#2, Second try! - natural cycle, started 300 puregon, 150 repronex July 8th.
Bloodwork and u/s, JULY 12....
Only 2 follicles grew- ER- zero eggs retrieved :(
Follow up- August 10, 10

#12 ggables

ggables
  • 7 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 08 September 2010 - 12:33 AM

booking marking this thread

#13 skysoldier

skysoldier
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 02:17 AM

I suggest that you may ask Dr. Mercola a well known guy in the nutrition field. I think he can help you with your problems.
Our daily health information around the world.

#14 agata

agata
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts
  • My Clinic:Buffalo State

Posted 08 February 2012 - 05:07 AM

Emotional eating is one of the biggest barriers to losing stress weight; recognizing when you are eating emotionally is the first step in taking control. According to Mayoclinic.com, events that can trigger negative emotions and disrupt your weight-loss progress can include finances, health problems, unemployment, bad weather, job stress or relationship conflicts.

#15 Ope

Ope
  • Cyclebase
  • 2138 posts
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility for now

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:36 PM

I am also an emotional eater.I track my weight in the last 10 years on my computer and the stress in my life clearly can be tracked. Every mayor crisis in my life lead to a 20 lb gain. Long peaceful times lead to steady weight loss.
However if you realize the problem, you can fight it.

I suggest you to join one of the calorie counting website. There are many out there, I am using myfitnesspal.com , because it is free and has android apps as well.
I joined the site 8 months ago and lost 30 lb since. I had lost some weight before, but my weight loss was much slower.
Tracking your eating also helps you identify your triggers. I used to think that I overeat when I stressed, which is true a certain extent. However, closely tracking everything I ate( even binges) allowed me to realized exactly which days I overeat.

For me lack of sufficient breakfast leads increased amount carb, more specifically sugar, eating later in the day.
On days when I ate large very protein and fat dense breakfast , I almost never overeat. Since I know this , I make sure that never happens.I eat 3-4 eggs and bacon at the morning without feeling guilty about it and keep losing weight.

Also the 5-6 small meals is something I can never do, and I always felt bad about it. Eating many small meals has been publicized as the healthy eating pattern that leaves to weight loss. Lately I have read a bit more intensely on the subject and it is not supported by any scientific evidence. In fact it keeps your insulin level constantly high, which is not very desirable.
For me the 3 big, 500 calorie each ,meal works the best with high protein content.
I do not think there is one type of eating habit suitable for everyone. I believe that everybody is different , and you have to learn what works for you. In order to do that you need to track everything. Once you keep track , you experiment with different eating patterns, and different food selection.
Good luck with your journey
right now me : 37 Dh:40

TTC #1: natural TTC 1.5 yrs
Dh: 35, Severe Male factor infertility, morphology is 1-2%
Me: 32 , tubes open, no endo, regular ovulation, all hormones are good, 3rd day FSH 5.3 , antral follicle count is 12, only problem is my weight BMI: 30

IVF/ ICSI #1: 2008 February -McGill, Montreal
Long protocol: BCP for 1 month, burselin from CD21, 300 Gonal F and 150 Luveris for 10 days
ER: 11 egg , 6 mature , 5 fertilized, 3rd day transfer:a 7 cell & an 8 cell embyos, no frosties.
1st beta : 13dp3dt: 77, BFP
2008,November 19th: Adam has arrived 7 lb 4 oz, 21"

TTC #2: natural TTC 1.5 yr
Dh :39 morphology went up to 4%, we meet the IUI cutoff! count are fluctuating from 30 to 105 million, motility is great. Caryotyping is normal
Me: 36 FSH is slightly elevated and keep rising 8.5, 8.8, 8.9, 9.8 , AFC is still 12, everything else looks good.

IUI #1: Edmonton, 2011 January ,Clomid 50mg (x5), 106 mil ,68% motile, grade 4 :BFN
IUI #2: Edmonton, 2011 February, Clomid 50mg (x5), 30 mil, 57% motile, grade 3: BFN
IUI #3: Edmonton, 2011 March, Clomid 50mg (x5), 88 mil , 49% motile, grade 4: BFN
IVF#2: 2011 May, Edmonton: long protocol , nasal suprefact : CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
IVF#3: 2011 August, Edmonton: short protocol/natural start: CANCELLED due to high progesterone
IVF#4: 2001 September, Edmonton: short protocol with BCP: CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
Change clinic

IVF #5: 2012 March-April Hungary: stimulation starts march 28, 300 Menopur
mixed protocol: BCP for months, CD3: Menopur 300& lupron for 8 days
ER : April 8th , 4 eggs retrieved, all were mature and fertilized with ICSI and AH
ET : April 11th, 1 A quality 8 cell, and 1 A quality 4 cell embryo transferred, no frosties.
BFP on the HPT at 7dp3dt: happy 37th birthday to me :D
Beta: , 12dp3dt: 150, 2nd Beta, 15dp3dt: 550
Anna has arrived on 21st December after being induced at 39 week. She is 6 lb 9 oz, 20" , and has blue eyes, and long dark brown hair and just perfect !

#16 Cassandra_Angela

Cassandra_Angela
  • 1000+
  • 2084 posts
  • My Clinic:HART

Posted 08 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

I had lost weight a few years back and had my first successful cycle and then I lost most of it after the baby was born (all but 6 pounds). Then when the baby was 1 my older child was diagnosed with cancer and during his treatment I gained back 20 pounds. He is now in remission but the weight seems harder now then ever to get off - I'm still trying though.

Please see "about me" section for details

Pictures tell a thousand words: https://www.instagra...dra_angela1981/

#17 simonben1982

simonben1982
  • 10 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:iphone

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:55 AM

Have you guys ever used hcg drops or diets for weight loss. I am thinking of starting a hcg diet course from next month, first I would like to know about its reviews in you. I have read some good things about it and very impressive too. Do you think I should be using hcg drops for weight loss.

#18 sharlene

sharlene
  • Cyclebase
  • 1737 posts
  • My Clinic:USA

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:39 PM

Have you guys ever used hcg drops or diets for weight loss. I am thinking of starting a hcg diet course from next month, first I would like to know about its reviews in you. I have read some good things about it and very impressive too. Do you think I should be using hcg drops for weight loss.

The following article talks about the hcg diet - I would be especially wary with IF issues.

http://www.mayoclini...cg-diet/an02091

#19 Cheddar

Cheddar
  • Cyclebase
  • 291 posts
  • My Clinic:Ottawa

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:41 AM

I have 8-10 lbs to lose to get to my goal of a BMI under 25 for IVF. My doc said a few extra lbs is not a big deal but I've seen research saying it is. It's just so hard to diet with all these stressful things going on. But most important is doing everything I can to be successful with this next round.

I have to work on my willpower. I hate being hungry. My biggest downfall is weekends and holidays and eating with my husband (who has a sweet and a salty tooth). I lost 60 lbs more than a decade ago and kept it off for the most part. I exercise four hours a week and eat pretty well. I put some weight back on when I lost my job a few years back and started on antidepressants. I have no excuses now though.
TTC since February 2010IUI #1: October 2011, cycle cancelledIUI#2: December 2011: BFNIVF #1 in March 2012: BFNIVF #2 in July 2013: BFN Got divorced, spend several years having fun, met the best man Iíve ever known in 2016 and married in 2019IVF #3 in summer 2018: BFNIVF #4 in 2018 fall 2018: BFNMoving on to donor eggs at Shady Grove in guaranteed, shared risk program.Transfer #in August 2019: BFNTransfer #2 in September 2019: ?

#20 Duck

Duck
  • Cyclebase
  • 1851 posts
  • My Clinic:Repromed

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:24 PM

I'm a big fan of being healthy, but why a bmi under 25? My bmi first cycle was around 21, bmi on my successful ivf was more like 24,25 (and i was a size 8/9)ish. Bmi isn't a great measure in my opinion, now with a bmi of 25 I'm a size 5/6, and consider myself to be in great shape, but if I was going to do ivf again I would lay off the running/weight lifting and build a little ore fat for better eggs.

Diagnosed with endometrosis at age 19

5 pelvic surgeries

2 IVF, numerous FETs

2 different gestational carriers

Now mother of 2 year old twins.

#21 Cheddar

Cheddar
  • Cyclebase
  • 291 posts
  • My Clinic:Ottawa

Posted 27 April 2012 - 05:08 PM

Apparently BMI under 25 is the measure of healthy — or at least the difference between "overweight" and "normal."
TTC since February 2010IUI #1: October 2011, cycle cancelledIUI#2: December 2011: BFNIVF #1 in March 2012: BFNIVF #2 in July 2013: BFN Got divorced, spend several years having fun, met the best man Iíve ever known in 2016 and married in 2019IVF #3 in summer 2018: BFNIVF #4 in 2018 fall 2018: BFNMoving on to donor eggs at Shady Grove in guaranteed, shared risk program.Transfer #in August 2019: BFNTransfer #2 in September 2019: ?

#22 Saffy

Saffy
  • 1000+
  • 1524 posts
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

Whattodo:

Go low carb. It works, is safe, quick and very easy to do plus you don't feel starving all the time.

see about me page.

#23 L_in_Calgary

L_in_Calgary
  • Cyclebase
  • 355 posts
  • My Clinic:Foothills

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:34 PM

I found tracking my food and exercise helped. The tool I used was from the Dietitians of Canada, so healthy http://www.eatracker.ca/ It can be set-up with your regular meals to speed things and will show you where you are over or under based on the guidelines (calories, fat, salt etc). You can also include supplements and exercise into it. Once you have used it a few times it will provide comparisons of your progress.
me 37 dh 38 ttc since May 2010 (high FSH, mild MF) Aug - Sept 2011- 2 cycles with Clomid and TI - 2xBFN Sept - Nov 2011 - 3 IUIs with clomid - 3xBFN IVF #1 Jan/Feb 2012 - 300 Gonal F eSET - 3 day - BFP (3x day 3 frozen) April m/c at 8 weeks DHEA, Q10 and continue acupuncture in prep for next cycle July - chemical IVF #2 - Aug/Sept 2012 -225 Gonalf & 225 menopur Sept 17th - eSET 1 blast (5 basts frozen) Sept 30 - BFP First u/s Oct 18 - measuring on track, hb 150 NT scan - measuring on track and low risk DD arrived June 2013 FET #1 - March 2015 - BFN FET #2 - July 2015 - eSET Chemical (1 transfered 3 didn't survive thaw) Aug 2015 Natural BFP - Chemical FET #3 - Oct 2015 - two transfered (1 didn't survive thaw - no more frozen) - Chemical. All frozen used & no success. On DHEA and Q10 in prep for next treatment. Dec 2015 BFP - Chemical, Jan 2016 Chemical. IVF #3 (with ICSI) Feb 2016

#24 LLJ

LLJ
  • Global 100+
  • 534 posts
  • Interests:Fitness and travelling
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Conceptia - now AART

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

I'm a big fan of being healthy, but why a bmi under 25? My bmi first cycle was around 21, bmi on my successful ivf was more like 24,25 (and i was a size 8/9)ish. Bmi isn't a great measure in my opinion, now with a bmi of 25 I'm a size 5/6, and consider myself to be in great shape, but if I was going to do ivf again I would lay off the running/weight lifting and build a little ore fat for better eggs.

You're right in that BMI is not an accurate measurement for someone who is muscular - waist to hip ratio is more relevant. But your statement about "laying off the running/weight lifting and build a little more fat for better eggs" is baffling to me. What makes you think having more fat = better eggs? I'm sorry but I think that's a terribly misleading statement...

Age 39 - DOR + low motility

IVF+ICSI #1 June 2011
ET - 26 Jun 11
ER - 29 Jun 11 - BFN

First donor cycle June 2012 - FULL of challenges!!
Retrieval 27 August 12
13 retrieved - 7 mature
6 fertilized - ultimately [email protected] 5 days
1 Sep 12 - transferred one perfect 20/20 blast - 2 frosties
14 Sep - BFP! Still can't believe it....HCG 2195

Follow-up HCG 18 Sep - 13 132

First ultrasound 3 Oct 12 - FHR 136
First heard heartbeat at 8.5 weeks with doppler
13.5 weeks - ultrasound - everything is perfect!

18 weeks...it's a boy!

Our beautiful baby boy was born 20 May 2013! I could not be more in love!!

#25 Duck

Duck
  • Cyclebase
  • 1851 posts
  • My Clinic:Repromed

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:08 PM

You're right in that BMI is not an accurate measurement for someone who is muscular - waist to hip ratio is more relevant. But your statement about "laying off the running/weight lifting and build a little more fat for better eggs" is baffling to me. What makes you think having more fat = better eggs? I'm sorry but I think that's a terribly misleading statement...

Perhaps I wasn't clear. In my personal experience, when I had a very low body fat percentage (I was around a size 2/4 during my first IVF very thin, very little fat, all muscle) I made lower quality eggs.

When I had a higher body fat percentage( a size 8/9) I made better eggs.

If I was going to do IVF again I would do the exact same thing that I did for my second IVF cycle as I saw a significant improvement in egg quality.

Diagnosed with endometrosis at age 19

5 pelvic surgeries

2 IVF, numerous FETs

2 different gestational carriers

Now mother of 2 year old twins.