8 replies to this topic

#1 valentine0214

valentine0214
  • Cyclebase
  • 1897 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:CTR for Adv. Reproductive Services

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:27 PM

Most of us know going in that breast feeding isnt easy, but when you actually get there, it's even harder. I have been experiencing a lot of issues with nippple soreness, scabbing and blisters. I have been forced to pump more than I have actually fed off the breast. I have compiled a list of things that can help you make it through. It can be hard to hang in there and the temptation to quit is so strong. If you have experience with this and can add other things to the list, please do. I am hoping that other people who are having trouble will benefit from the list when they are feeling desperate.

For sore, cracked, scabbing nipples:
Lanolin or bag balm
Soothies
Nipple Sheilds
Air dry the nipples or use a hair dryer
Put some breast milk on the nipple and let it air dry
Steep 6 tea bags and put 3 on each nipple while still warm, place a pad on each and secure with a nursing bra - let sit for 1 hour
Use Motrin/advil to help with soreness

For engorgement or clogged ducts:
Hot shower
Heating pad
Massage

to help your milk supply:
Get plenty of fluids (so important)
Rest
Pump or feed frequently (every 2-3 hours)
Try to get comrfortable and relax

Feeding off the breast:
Be sure the baby is latched on properly (get someone to help you)
Use pillows to prop up the baby
relax!!
When using an electric pump:
Make sure the sheilds are securely on the areola
Use the maximum speed you can handle (really makes a difference in what you get out)
Me - 40 DH -38IVF for PGD (Marfans)Started Process in April '08IVF#1 - Jan 09' - no embies to transfer :(IVF#2 - (Gonal-F, Cetrotide, Luveris)3/26/09 - ER - 11 follies retrieved, all 11 fertilized !!!!3/31/09 - ET - 2 transferred, nothing to freeze4/9/09 - Beta #1 - 94 (9dp5dt) - BFP!!!4/13/09 - Beta #2 - 491 (13dp5dt)4/17/09 - Beta #3 - 1680 (17dp5dt)4/19/09 - Beta #4 - 4000 (19dp5dt)4/21/09 - U/S #1,5/5/09 - 2nd U/S, 5/19/09 - 3rd U/S, 7/21 - ITS A GIRL!! EDD 12/16/0912/24/09 - Jasmin Rose born at 11:32pm via c-section, 7lbs, 3oz~Switched Clinics~IVF#3 -6/6/11 - start BCP's7/1/11 - Baseline/Start stims - 300 Gonal-F, 150 Menopur (Elevated FSH - 12.1)7/8/11 - cancelled due to poor response....~Back to original clinic~~IVF#41/6/12 -start date -Microdose Lupron, Gonal F - cancelled - FSH 25, TSH 5.8 3/13 - pregnant from natural, missed miscarriage in MayLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

#2 Ready and waiting

Ready and waiting
  • 414 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Conceptia/AART

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:07 PM

Great idea! Breastfeeding is hard but so important- thanks for starting this thread.

I tried to breastfeed my twin boys the traditional way and didn't have much luck- one could latch but not suck and one could suck but not latch. I had started pumping in the hospital to help my milk come in and I switched to exclusive pumping when I got home from the hospital. Despite warnings from the lactation consultant saying that I wouldn't get enough milk just pumping I have been able to give the boys breastmilk for all of their feedings except for one. After pumping for 5 months now I have managed to keep up with them except for that one darn feeding a day. Anyway, I am rambling but I just want to say that we shouldn't count ourselves out if breastfeeding doesn't go exactly as planned from the start. I would recommend that anyone who plans to breastfeed have a good pump on hand. I rented mine from a family resource centre for $20 and I can use it for as long as I want. Its a great pump- electric, double. I did find it hard initially because I felt trapped while I was pumping because I couldn't use my hands so I took a sports bra and cut slits in the cups so that I could slid the flanges in- making it hands free. It's so much easier to sit still when you can read a book, fold laundry, talk on the phone- even feed a baby if you have to...lol....although it seems funny whenever I have because here I am pumping milk into one bottle while feeding my son from another bottle. Seems kind of inefficient but it works for us and this way Dh can feed the boys...and we were even able to get away for a night to celebrate our anniversary so I can't complain.

Good luck girls!

Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties tomorrow of its strength"
~ Corrie Ten Boom

Me 34 DH 32
TTC August 2007
Nov 07 DH diagnosed with azoospermia

IVF # 1 BFP!!
Sept 21 08 Start bcp Nov 12 08 Start Suprefact Nov 24 Start puregon/luveris
Dec 5 08 Microtese for DH, egg retreival for me
Dec 8 08 ET- transferred 2 embies- 8 cell, grade 4
Dec 22 08 Beta 464!! Best Christmas present EVER!!
Dec 30 08 Beta 9782-so relieved!
Jan 18 09 1st ultrasound- its twins!!
Feb 13 09 2nd ultrasound- identical twins?!!?
Mar 6 09 3rd ultrasound- 15 weeks- they're boys!!
Aug 14 09 C-section @ 38 weeks- welcome to the world boys!!

<

#3 Cassandra_Angela

Cassandra_Angela
  • 1000+
  • 2084 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:HART

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:53 PM

I took a sports bra and cut slits in the cups so that I could slid the flanges in- making it hands free.

That's genius!

I have been nursing for 5 months now and despite having some initial problems with him latching its been a breeze which is quite different from when my other son was breastfeeding.
This thread is very helpful, even now I still need reminders about stuff ... like drinking lots of fluids.
I hate to admit it but I pretty much live on coffee and tea, not likely the healthiest choice for a breastfeeding mom.
When I'm done posting here I will go get a bottle of water.

:goodpost:

Please see "about me" section for details

Pictures tell a thousand words: https://www.instagra...dra_angela1981/

#4 valentine0214

valentine0214
  • Cyclebase
  • 1897 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:CTR for Adv. Reproductive Services

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:58 PM

Ready - what a wonderful eidea about the sports bra - I am going to do this tomorrow. As soon as I start pumping the baby starts crying...I cant tell you how many times I have the baby in between my breasts, and a pump on each boob, trying to juggle everything and keep her happy!! It will be great to have 2 free hands while i am pumping. Thanks!!!
Me - 40 DH -38IVF for PGD (Marfans)Started Process in April '08IVF#1 - Jan 09' - no embies to transfer :(IVF#2 - (Gonal-F, Cetrotide, Luveris)3/26/09 - ER - 11 follies retrieved, all 11 fertilized !!!!3/31/09 - ET - 2 transferred, nothing to freeze4/9/09 - Beta #1 - 94 (9dp5dt) - BFP!!!4/13/09 - Beta #2 - 491 (13dp5dt)4/17/09 - Beta #3 - 1680 (17dp5dt)4/19/09 - Beta #4 - 4000 (19dp5dt)4/21/09 - U/S #1,5/5/09 - 2nd U/S, 5/19/09 - 3rd U/S, 7/21 - ITS A GIRL!! EDD 12/16/0912/24/09 - Jasmin Rose born at 11:32pm via c-section, 7lbs, 3oz~Switched Clinics~IVF#3 -6/6/11 - start BCP's7/1/11 - Baseline/Start stims - 300 Gonal-F, 150 Menopur (Elevated FSH - 12.1)7/8/11 - cancelled due to poor response....~Back to original clinic~~IVF#41/6/12 -start date -Microdose Lupron, Gonal F - cancelled - FSH 25, TSH 5.8 3/13 - pregnant from natural, missed miscarriage in MayLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

#5 Ope

Ope
  • Cyclebase
  • 2138 posts
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility for now

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:59 PM

I think you pretty much all the physical tools, I would suggest to get a nursing canopy so you can go anywhere don't have to worry about how your are going to feed the baby. .I'd like to elaborate how important the other non-tangible preparation.
In the first few weeks 4-6 the # 1 job is breastfeeding and taking care of yourself, nothing else matters.

1. Get help with housekeeping.
The best is arrange regular help(grandma, sibling,friend or paid help) who do the laundry, dishes cleaning and such. Same with meals. Get somebody to cook for you in daily basis. Or spend the last month of your pregnancy to fill the entire freezer with ready to eat meals. Fill your pantry with ready to eat healthy snacks :nutri-bars, fruitcups, nuts, canned veggies, fruits,ham etc. Pretend that a natural disaster coming and no stores will be open for 5-6 weeks. Beleive me, it will like that ,lol.

2. knowledge is the key:
Read a breastfeeding book, a general pregnancy book only has the basic. Watch a bunch of breastfeeding video on youtube. Latching on looks totally different in life than in the books.Especially good to watch videos with women who has similar shape/size breast and nipple as you do. There are many tricks and positions you can learn, you never know what will work for you and your baby.

3. Keep in mind about the basic principle: demand =supply.
Your milk supply will adjust to your baby demand. More she/he suck on it, the more milk you have . if you start to supplement , she will suck less, you 'll have even less milk. Then you have to supplement again, and she suck even less and so on. It is a vicious circle.

4. Try to avoid nipple confusion.
Babies suck differently on pacifiers and bottle nipples. if you give them such thing, they will use that technic on the breast , and will be frustrated it doesn't work. Plus pacifier satisfy the baby sucking needs, and suck less on the breast,and your supply can be lowered by this. Wait with those thing until your baby 5-6 weeks old.

5. Have a you can do it attitude!
Because you can!
right now me : 37 Dh:40

TTC #1: natural TTC 1.5 yrs
Dh: 35, Severe Male factor infertility, morphology is 1-2%
Me: 32 , tubes open, no endo, regular ovulation, all hormones are good, 3rd day FSH 5.3 , antral follicle count is 12, only problem is my weight BMI: 30

IVF/ ICSI #1: 2008 February -McGill, Montreal
Long protocol: BCP for 1 month, burselin from CD21, 300 Gonal F and 150 Luveris for 10 days
ER: 11 egg , 6 mature , 5 fertilized, 3rd day transfer:a 7 cell & an 8 cell embyos, no frosties.
1st beta : 13dp3dt: 77, BFP
2008,November 19th: Adam has arrived 7 lb 4 oz, 21"

TTC #2: natural TTC 1.5 yr
Dh :39 morphology went up to 4%, we meet the IUI cutoff! count are fluctuating from 30 to 105 million, motility is great. Caryotyping is normal
Me: 36 FSH is slightly elevated and keep rising 8.5, 8.8, 8.9, 9.8 , AFC is still 12, everything else looks good.

IUI #1: Edmonton, 2011 January ,Clomid 50mg (x5), 106 mil ,68% motile, grade 4 :BFN
IUI #2: Edmonton, 2011 February, Clomid 50mg (x5), 30 mil, 57% motile, grade 3: BFN
IUI #3: Edmonton, 2011 March, Clomid 50mg (x5), 88 mil , 49% motile, grade 4: BFN
IVF#2: 2011 May, Edmonton: long protocol , nasal suprefact : CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
IVF#3: 2011 August, Edmonton: short protocol/natural start: CANCELLED due to high progesterone
IVF#4: 2001 September, Edmonton: short protocol with BCP: CANCELLED due to high progresteron & cyst
Change clinic

IVF #5: 2012 March-April Hungary: stimulation starts march 28, 300 Menopur
mixed protocol: BCP for months, CD3: Menopur 300& lupron for 8 days
ER : April 8th , 4 eggs retrieved, all were mature and fertilized with ICSI and AH
ET : April 11th, 1 A quality 8 cell, and 1 A quality 4 cell embryo transferred, no frosties.
BFP on the HPT at 7dp3dt: happy 37th birthday to me :D
Beta: , 12dp3dt: 150, 2nd Beta, 15dp3dt: 550
Anna has arrived on 21st December after being induced at 39 week. She is 6 lb 9 oz, 20" , and has blue eyes, and long dark brown hair and just perfect !

#6 DesignerBug

DesignerBug
  • 1000+
  • 2646 posts
  • My Clinic:ONE

Posted 13 January 2010 - 04:06 AM

Believe it or not a cold leaf of CABBAGE placed on the breast can do some SERIOUS relief of engorgement. They used to suggest heat, but are now leaning towards cool.

Prep those nipples too! Use the lanolin cream ahead of time prior to babies arrival, then after EVERY feed.d. Latching it where it's at.. a bad latch on one feed can lead to days of discomfort. Don't be shy and don't be afraid of assistance at the hospital.

Also... beware of the breast feeding Nazi's! There is a HUGE push for breast feeding prior to delivery and in the beginning. They can make you feel pretty guilty really, so if it's not working for you, be strong and don't be afraid to put down the boob and pick up a bottle. Prior to babies arrival it seemed the world was BF'ing, but now 4 months in it seems I am one of a few who are still going.

Good luck

D
TTC#1 April 2003 - Jan 2009
9 IUIs, 12 months Fermara, 4 months Clomid, 5 rounds of injectable, 1 LAP, 1 HSG, 2 Uterine Biopsies, 1 Postcoital, 1 IVF, 2 FETs... 2nd Fesh Cycle IVF - ++Beta 110!

TTC#2 - Dreams coming true... Surprise BFP Au Naturel! Never really started trying, but never gave up hope on dreams coming true. 20w2, after 6 days of strict bedrest, we lost our baby boy, Emmett to my incompetent cervix and he was born sleeping. 24cm long, 0.67lbs he was the most perfect little angel and has brought with him many lessons for us to remember him by.

Lightening strikes twice apparently>>>> May 24 ++HPT, Followed by ++Beta. Numbers are low, but doubling. EDD Feb1/2013 ~ Baby Boy arrived 5 weeks early in under 2hrs. Left me with 4th degree tears. 2 years later, still pending reconstructive surgery :( In that time hubby had a vasectomy. Never thought we'd have a chance to take fertility into our own hands

#7 vancouverwoman

vancouverwoman

BiCentennial

• 505 posts
  • My Clinic:Genesis Fertility Clinic

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:12 AM

val-it's great that you're posting this information. I have to say that I was never prepared for the difficulties of breastfeeding and I overcame all of them in the first week only to find that my boys are not liking my breast that they prefer the bottle more...Also, having twins makes it way more difficult to breast feed. I must say that I am most depressed about not being able to bonde with my little ones with breast feeding. They did take the breast there and there but with lots of struggles.
ME-33 DH-33
TTC 2 years
DH-Severe morphology
Feb 15 2009 IVF/ICSI
March 18th, Finally ER is here! 32 eggs retrieved 27 mature
March 19th 16 fertilized! God please help them grow!!
March 21st Transfered 2 Grade A- 8 cell embryos and 9 frosties
April 3rd 13dp3dt 470!!
April 9th 19dp3dt 4431
April 21st U/S @6wks 5days saw two sacs!!
April 27th 2nd U/S @7wks 5days saw 2 heart beats!!!
Two Boys!!!
God Help me and my babies in this journey
Posted Image

#8 Rosa

Rosa
  • Global 100+
  • 765 posts
  • My Clinic:Create IVF

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:32 AM

DB you are right about the breast feeding Nazis.

I was told by a lactation consultant that: "BFing is part of evolution and if a mother couldn't breastfeed or the child didn't latch on, he/she would die"

I was also told "You aren't trying hard enough that is why it isn't working."

When I spoke to others in my mom's group, some others had had similar experiences with their consultants as well.

Well Sophia didn't latch on even with the lactation consultants trying to help me. Needless to say I had to give up the boob for my own sanity (I was on my own, pumping every 3 hours and feeding Sophia in between, which pretty much amounted to no sleep at all). I cried for weeks and weeks and felt like the most horrible mother ever. The lactation consultants told me my daugher's IQ would be lower and that she would be sick much more often.

When I spoke to my own doctor, he told me he had been bottle fed and thought he turned out just fine. The immunity you pass onto your child is only in the first few weeks and I was able to give Sophia what little I was able to pump (never more than 30 mls a day even with all that pumping).

You will definitely find a different viewpoint given to you from the lactation consultants versus your own ped or doctor.

I wish I had been able to BF, but without anyone helping me, a C-section to recover from and a baby that wouldn't latch on, it was hard. My milk didn't even come in until day 8 so we had to supplement from the very beginning.

Me 45, DH 41
TTC 3 years
Uterine polyps, high prolactin levels and tested positive for anti-cardio lipin
5 failed IUI's
IVF #1 July 2007, 32 eggs retrieved (many immature), 12 fertilzed, 9 made it to day 3, transferred 3 embbies, BFN
FET #1 - 3 embryos Oct 07, beta Nov 2nd, another BFN
IVF #2 - Nov 2007, on Lupron and birth control pill, 11 days of stims 225 Gonal F plus 75 Repronex and 150 Gonal F at night, retrieved 18 eggs Dec 11th, 8 fertilized through ICSI and 4 naturally
Transfer - 3, 8 cell embryos Dec 14th, BETA Dec 28th, BFN
7 frozen
FET #2 - June 5/08, BFN
hysteroscopy and polypectomy on Sept 25/08, removed 1 polyp
FET #3 - used up my last 4 frosties Oct 27/08
Beta Nov 9/08 125 BFP 13dp3dt
Beta Nov 11/08 315 15dp3dt
Beta Nov 15/08 over 2000 19dp3dt
Beta Nov 18/08 7365 22dp3dt
U/S date Nov 29/08, a singleton, heart beat 131 beats per minute
U/S date Dec 7/08, heart beat 160 beats per minute, growth good 8 w 2 days
U/S date Dec 13/08, heart beat 157 beats per minute, growth good at 9 w 1 day, baby moving around
U/S date Dec 27/08, heart beat 165 beats per minute, growth good at 11 weeks 1 day, baby moving around, now has arms and legs and was kicking
nuchal test US Jan 2/08 TEXTBOOK NORMAL Thank you God!
IPS pregnancy test results NORMAL, risk is 1/800 of Down's Syndrome and 1/1,100 for spina bifida
anatomical u/s NORMAL, it's a girl!
Due date July 18, 2009 in the home stretch

Sophia Anne born July 22, 2009 at 12:41 AM via emergency C-Section.

Fell down the stairs Aug 4, 2010, fractured C7, T1, T3 and 4 ribs (neck and upper spine). Still healing and hoping bones fuse on their own.

#9 Rufus

Rufus
  • Global 100+
  • 389 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:47 AM

I know I am late to this thread but I wanted to offer my 2 cents :P

Keep in mind that there will be good and not so good lactation consultants, just like any profession. I saw two LCs while in hospital and one was excellent, the other not so much. I have gone to a breastfeeding clinic 3 times now and both LCs were very helpful and don't see breastfeeding as all or nothing.

My daughter didn't eat well in hospital due to being "mucousy" (even with a good latch) as a result of a very quick vaginal delivery and ended up with jaundice at 24 hrs of age. She was too sleepy to eat well and had to have phototherapy which interfered with feeding and skin-to-skin contact that helps with increasing supply (phototherapy also increases water loss).

We did have to supplement with either expressed breastmilk or formula for about 2 weeks until she gained enough strength to suck longer and more efficiently. I fought this for many days until my lo lost a lot of weight and was lethargic. What helped me to agree to supplementing was the LC saying to me to remember that every drop of breastmilk you can give your child is beneficial even if you can't breastfeed exclusively, and that supplementing with formula is sometimes necessary for the health of the child. I tried to use a lactation aid rather than a bottle so she would not develop a nipple preference.

Advice:
In the first day or two after delivery, express colostrum and rub on nipples to heal and sores - this worked wonders for me after a too-vigourous first attempt with the pump.

Have a lactation consultant check the fit of the "horns" of your pump. More vacuum doesn't necessarily lead to more milk, but can lead to more pain.

Know ahead of delivery where the breastfeeding clinics are in your area and how to make an appt. Get help as soon as you can to make sure you have the best latch possible.
Me: 44 DH: 48
After 3 fresh cycles and 1 FET:
Beautiful Baby Girl arrived January 10, 2010

Final FET: late February 2012
Started estrace Feb 8
Lining check: Feb 21...need a few more days
Feb 23...need 5 more days!
Feb 28 - good to go!!

Embryo transfer: March 4 "a perfect transfer" of 2 blasts (1 survived thaw with 100% of cells intact, 1 with 50% of cells intact)

Beta: March 17 - negative