acupuncture and azoospermia

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 starla

starla
  • 7 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:36 PM

Has anyone ever heard of acupuncture bringing a 0 sperm count up to the millions? My hubby has testicular failure, no apparent reason. We haven't done the biospy yet to confirm that there are some sperm in the testes, but the doc thinks there is a good chance there are some because of the texture.I have been reading some sources on the internet that claim that acupuncture brought zero sperm counts up to 1.2 million(on average). Does this sound right? And if so, would that be enough for artificial insemination?
-thank you!

#2 Ready and waiting

Ready and waiting
  • 414 posts
  • My Clinic:Conceptia/AART

Posted 10 January 2010 - 07:52 AM

My Dh has azoospermia and tried three rounds of acupunture with a man who had trained at a fertility clinic in China and we didn't see any improvement at all. Maybe other people have had more positive experiences but I was pretty disappointed.

Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties tomorrow of its strength"
~ Corrie Ten Boom

Me 34 DH 32
TTC August 2007
Nov 07 DH diagnosed with azoospermia

IVF # 1 BFP!!
Sept 21 08 Start bcp Nov 12 08 Start Suprefact Nov 24 Start puregon/luveris
Dec 5 08 Microtese for DH, egg retreival for me
Dec 8 08 ET- transferred 2 embies- 8 cell, grade 4
Dec 22 08 Beta 464!! Best Christmas present EVER!!
Dec 30 08 Beta 9782-so relieved!
Jan 18 09 1st ultrasound- its twins!!
Feb 13 09 2nd ultrasound- identical twins?!!?
Mar 6 09 3rd ultrasound- 15 weeks- they're boys!!
Aug 14 09 C-section @ 38 weeks- welcome to the world boys!!

<

#3 starla

starla
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 01:22 PM

Thanks for your reply,
I think that for acupuncture to improve sperm counts it has to be for a minimum of 3 months because that's how long it takes a new sperm to form. That's what my western doc told me.That's probably at least 12 treatments I think. But I'd like to know if anyone stuck it out for that long and saw results.

I'm new here, but I think your info said that you ended up using a sperm donor for IVF? And that you got identical twins? WOW! Identical twins are not from the IVF right? They are 'natural'?

I'm still also considering sperm donor before I go into IVF because it's so much cheaper and less invasive. Was your man OK with that option? Mine is open to it. What is DH? I need to figure out this lingo!

#4 Ready and waiting

Ready and waiting
  • 414 posts
  • My Clinic:Conceptia/AART

Posted 10 January 2010 - 02:51 PM

Hi,

Sorry I wasn't very clear when I said three rounds...there were five sessions per round- so 15 sessions at one per week.

We did ifv with icsi with donor sperm...quite a mouthful.My DH (dear husband) underwent a surgical procedure on the same day that the clinic retrived my eggs. We were hoping that they would find sperm to use but they didn't so we had a vial of donor sperm as a backup. Most people if they had decided on donor sperm would start with an IUI- because it is much cheaper and less invasive- like you said. So my eggs were fertilized with the donor sperm and then transferred three days later. We had no idea that one of those embryos would split after they were inside me. I have read that doing icsi increases the chances of a split happening. Sometimes i forget that we aren't born knowing all this lingo...lol...so if something isn't clear then just ask and I'll try to explain it more clearly. I don't know anything about IUIs but alot of other girls on here should be able to answer those questions.

My Dh wasn't thrilled with the donor option initially- it really had to grow on him. But as time went on and our hopes of using his sperm decreased then came around. Once I was pregnant it was a non issue- we haven't talked about it since and I know there is no way that he could love these little guys more. sounds like you have a great guy there so you have so all sorts of options.

Worry does not empty tomorrow of its sorrow; it empties tomorrow of its strength"
~ Corrie Ten Boom

Me 34 DH 32
TTC August 2007
Nov 07 DH diagnosed with azoospermia

IVF # 1 BFP!!
Sept 21 08 Start bcp Nov 12 08 Start Suprefact Nov 24 Start puregon/luveris
Dec 5 08 Microtese for DH, egg retreival for me
Dec 8 08 ET- transferred 2 embies- 8 cell, grade 4
Dec 22 08 Beta 464!! Best Christmas present EVER!!
Dec 30 08 Beta 9782-so relieved!
Jan 18 09 1st ultrasound- its twins!!
Feb 13 09 2nd ultrasound- identical twins?!!?
Mar 6 09 3rd ultrasound- 15 weeks- they're boys!!
Aug 14 09 C-section @ 38 weeks- welcome to the world boys!!

<

#5 Dr.HongYan

Dr.HongYan

Acupuncturist

• Advisor
  • 355 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:16 PM

o count of sperm can be caused by several reasons. if it is not structure defect or problem, acupuncture can help it but the results varies according to different individual. To get that dramatic results as you mentioned might need the assist of Chiense herbs.
Southcentre Chinese Acupuncture
100 Anderson Road SE
Calgary, AB
Canada T2J 3V1
403 271-6662
[email protected]
www.southcentrechineseacupuncture.com

#6 srjv

srjv
  • 300 posts
  • My Clinic:Conceptia (Moncton)

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:02 PM

Hi,

Sorry I wasn't very clear when I said three rounds...there were five sessions per round- so 15 sessions at one per week.

We did ifv with icsi with donor sperm...quite a mouthful.My DH (dear husband) underwent a surgical procedure on the same day that the clinic retrived my eggs. We were hoping that they would find sperm to use but they didn't so we had a vial of donor sperm as a backup. Most people if they had decided on donor sperm would start with an IUI- because it is much cheaper and less invasive- like you said. So my eggs were fertilized with the donor sperm and then transferred three days later. We had no idea that one of those embryos would split after they were inside me. I have read that doing icsi increases the chances of a split happening. Sometimes i forget that we aren't born knowing all this lingo...lol...so if something isn't clear then just ask and I'll try to explain it more clearly. I don't know anything about IUIs but alot of other girls on here should be able to answer those questions.

My Dh wasn't thrilled with the donor option initially- it really had to grow on him. But as time went on and our hopes of using his sperm decreased then came around. Once I was pregnant it was a non issue- we haven't talked about it since and I know there is no way that he could love these little guys more. sounds like you have a great guy there so you have so all sorts of options.

Hi,

I'm new here from NB. My name is Steph. We started going to Conceptia clinic about 1 years ago. We started TTC over 7 years ago. My Dh finally warmed up to the idea of getting a donor. Since he still has quite some sperms but he wasn't willing to get the needles and I respect his choice. It has been really hard getting where we are at but I'm glad we made it. We still have a couples of testing to get done and seeing the psychologis before starting our IUI in the fall. I can't wait. It reassures me that your Dh also had trouble at first but I'm glad that everything turned out good. I think what decided DH was that we are open for adoption and my question to him was that would he love a baby more if he had the same DNA or not? What if at some point the donor IUI works and we get pg naturally would he love the second child more? His answer was that he would love them equally so I let that seap a bit for a while and he was very open at our last appt in on July 2. He asked all the questions needed and told the dr that he no longer wanted to be tested. We realised after getting a list from the clinic that donor sperm is more frequent than we thought. I'm very happy with that. Have you decided on telling your kids about the donor, or others about this? This is my only concern. I don't like kinda lying but at the same time the only daddy our baby will have is my DH. He said he'll do whatever I want but I'm just not sure yet. I think that finding the right moment will be what will decide me.

Me(Steph)32 DH 37
1 Golden Retriever
2 cats

Started TTC February 2003
Started going to Fertility clinic in Bathurst 2005
Lap 2005 nothing found
DH dx with low count, low motility and bull antibodies
First IUI August 2007- BFN
Second IUI January 2008- BFN
Third IUI March 2008 - BFN
Approved for adoption on December 2009 (takes around 8 years to get a newborn)
First appt at the Conceptia clinic June 2009 (best decision ever)
Many more appts later, next appt with the psychologist to discuss donor sperm on August 5th
BW and urine test on August 20th
Pap test on September 1
dIUI on November 29th
BFP on Sat. Dec 11th
Beta on Dec. 13th: 49 BFP
Next Beta on Dec. 21 3681 :-)
First U/S on Jan 9th: we saw HB, baby measured 1,45cm at 8 weeks, we got first pict. smile.png
Second u/s (NT scan) on Feb 11th: HB is 161, Baby is just perfect measuring 6 cm, we got more picts, we watch and measured for about 30 minutes. It was awesome. :-)
Third u/s on March 22: It's a baby girl. Everything looks good.
June 4th Baby shower
June 11th to 13th been hospitalised for stomach pain.
June 18th 3D ultrasound
June 23th hospitalised again for belly pain and contractions.

#7 ideagirl

ideagirl
  • Global 100+
  • 261 posts
  • My Clinic:CCRM (Denver, CO)

Posted 22 December 2010 - 04:15 PM

Has anyone ever heard of acupuncture bringing a 0 sperm count up to the millions? My hubby has testicular failure, no apparent reason. We haven't done the biospy yet to confirm that there are some sperm in the testes, but the doc thinks there is a good chance there are some because of the texture.I have been reading some sources on the internet that claim that acupuncture brought zero sperm counts up to 1.2 million(on average). Does this sound right? And if so, would that be enough for artificial insemination?
-thank you!

Acupuncture and Chinese herbs, over a period of about 5 months (2x/week at first, then 1x/week towards the end), brought my husband from total azoospermia (0) to tens of thousands of high-quality sperm per ejaculate. By high quality, I mean good morphology and motility. That's not enough for IUI, but it is certainly enough for IVF. We got seven fertilized eggs through ICSI and I am currently in the "two-week wait." My husband had had testicular cancer (but no chemo or radiation) and unexplained testicular failure, but it worked.

We went to a very experienced (20+ years) practitioner. He doesn't specialize in infertility, per se, but he has treated plenty of patients for it in his 20+ years. My husband took some Chinese herb combinations--they mix these specifically for the patient, it's not something you can get in a store--and wheat germ oil, which is a great source of Vitamin E, a known fertility enhancer. There was also another Chinese herbal mixture he was suggesting that we declined to use because it is actually made in part with freeze-dried bull testicles (!). Apparently it works, but because of the cancer my husband's doctor said not to take anything that could contain hormones, and also my husband is a quasi-vegetarian, so we opted out of the bull testicles, haha. Who knows, maybe that would've made the treatment work better. But it worked, so we're thankful.

#8 Ellen Spencer

Ellen Spencer
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:59 PM

-thank you!

Acupuncture and Chinese herbs, over a period of about 5 months (2x/week at first, then 1x/week towards the end), brought my husband from total azoospermia (0) to tens of thousands of high-quality sperm per ejaculate. By high quality, I mean good morphology and motility. That's not enough for IUI, but it is certainly enough for IVF. We got seven fertilized eggs through ICSI and I am currently in the "two-week wait." My husband had had testicular cancer (but no chemo or radiation) and unexplained testicular failure, but it worked.

We went to a very experienced (20+ years) practitioner. He doesn't specialize in infertility, per se, but he has treated plenty of patients for it in his 20+ years. My husband took some Chinese herb combinations--they mix these specifically for the patient, it's not something you can get in a store--and wheat germ oil, which is a great source of Vitamin E, a known fertility enhancer. There was also another Chinese herbal mixture he was suggesting that we declined to use because it is actually made in part with freeze-dried bull testicles (!). Apparently it works, but because of the cancer my husband's doctor said not to take anything that could contain hormones, and also my husband is a quasi-vegetarian, so we opted out of the bull testicles, haha. Who knows, maybe that would've made the treatment work better. But it worked, so we're thankful.

Ideagirl you have really giving me hope! Me and my husband have been going through the exact same thing and it isn't until now, that I have come across someone with the same story. My husband also had testicular cancer, and didn`t need chemo or radiation, but has unexplained testicular failure. Did your husband have the testicle with the tumor removed? My husband has, so currently only has one.

We are at the point where we have to cash out $16,000 to have IVF with the TESA surgery, to be able to see if my husband does have any sperm residing inside, and if not then we will use donor sperm as a backup. It will probably take us another year to save up for this. We are currently looking into Acupuncture and Chinese herbs, so your story is really inspiring. Could you give an update to where things lie today? I hope all is going well for you.

Would you also be able to give me more details on the techniques used for his acupuncture and Chinese herbs treatment. I would be curious if it would work my husband to try the same process.

Thanks so much and once again I hope all is going well for you and your husband today!

#9 Dr. Brown FABORM

Dr. Brown FABORM
  • Advisor
  • 350 posts
  • My Clinic:Acubalance

Posted 09 November 2011 - 09:38 PM

I wanted to highlight the frequency of acupuncture
"Acupuncture and Chinese herbs, over a period of about 5 months (2x/week at first, then 1x/week towards the end), brought my husband from total azoospermia (0) to tens of thousands of high-quality sperm per ejaculate."

Another member mentioned she did one per week for 15 weeks. Acupuncture is done almost daily in China and not once a week like we do it in the West. In this case i would even recommend 3-5 treatments per week. We mainly see the men twice per week but if the case is severe I would recommend about 4/week.
Lorne Brown B.Sc.,CA, Dr.TCM, FABORM, CHt
Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Clinical Hypnotherapist
Founder and Clinical Director Acubalance Wellness Centre (British Columbia)
www.acubalance.ca
www.ifsymposium.com
604-678-8600

#10 ideagirl

ideagirl
  • Global 100+
  • 261 posts
  • My Clinic:CCRM (Denver, CO)

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

We are at the point where we have to cash out $16,000 to have IVF with the TESA surgery, to be able to see if my husband does have any sperm residing inside, and if not then we will use donor sperm as a backup. It will probably take us another year to save up for this. We are currently looking into Acupuncture and Chinese herbs, so your story is really inspiring. Could you give an update to where things lie today? I hope all is going well for you.

Would you also be able to give me more details on the techniques used for his acupuncture and Chinese herbs treatment. I would be curious if it would work my husband to try the same process.

Hi Ellen,
We still haven't succeeded with IVF, but it's not because of the sperm. The eggs fertilize and the embies grow, but so far they haven't stuck. We're still trying.

I can't tell you about the techniques and the herbs because A, I don't know anything about what techniques were used other than that he got acupuncture once a week for 5-6 months, and B, acupuncture is very personalized, because the exact causes of sperm problems differ from one man to another (and even from one testicular cancer patient to another), and so the techniques and herbs chosen will be different too. That being said, I do remember that he was taking wheat germ oil because it's amazingly high in Vitamin E, and Vitamin E is just generally good for fertility. (Of course, if your husband has any gluten issues, he shouldn't take wheat germ oil.)

I don't know where you live, so I can't help with finding a TCM (traditional Chinese medicine) practitioner, but here are some basic guidelines: Make sure the person is licensed and has been licensed and practicing for a long time (like 10+ years); run their name through google and see what reviews (or complaints, if any) you can find; and finally, see who you, or more particularly your husband, feel comfortable with. If you're anywhere near NYC, we went to both these places and they were great:
http://www.newyorkfe...cupuncture.com/
http://yinovacenter.com/

How old are you? Is there any known reason other than sperm count for infertility? In your shoes I would have your husband do at least three months of acupuncture before doing the TESE procedure. I say three months because that's the length of the life cycle of sperm--each new "crop" of sperm takes three months to be produced and mature, so any treatment that you may try to improve sperm quality will not have results until at least three months later.

#11 Ellen Spencer

Ellen Spencer
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:03 PM

Hi Ellen,
We still haven't succeeded with IVF, but it's not because of the sperm. The eggs fertilize and the embies grow, but so far they haven't stuck. We're still trying.

I can't tell you about the techniques and the herbs because A, I don't know anything about what techniques were used other than that he got acupuncture once a week for 5-6 months, and B, acupuncture is very personalized, because the exact causes of sperm problems differ from one man to another (and even from one testicular cancer patient to another), and so the techniques and herbs chosen will be different too. That being said, I do remember that he was taking wheat germ oil because it's amazingly high in Vitamin E, and Vitamin E is just generally good for fertility. (Of course, if your husband has any gluten issues, he shouldn't take wheat germ oil.)

I don't know where you live, so I can't help with finding a TCM (traditional Chinese medicine) practitioner, but here are some basic guidelines: Make sure the person is licensed and has been licensed and practicing for a long time (like 10+ years); run their name through google and see what reviews (or complaints, if any) you can find; and finally, see who you, or more particularly your husband, feel comfortable with. If you're anywhere near NYC, we went to both these places and they were great:
http://www.newyorkfe...cupuncture.com/
http://yinovacenter.com/

How old are you? Is there any known reason other than sperm count for infertility? In your shoes I would have your husband do at least three months of acupuncture before doing the TESE procedure. I say three months because that's the length of the life cycle of sperm--each new "crop" of sperm takes three months to be produced and mature, so any treatment that you may try to improve sperm quality will not have results until at least three months later.

Well my husband went to see a licensed acupuncture this week. Thank you for your advice on researching him before hand. We only found good things about him.

He only wants my husband to get acupuncture done every two weeks, which doesn`t seem like much to me, but he said that the chinese herbs is what will help the most. My husband is now taking Astra Essence 3 times a day and deer antler 2 times a day. Next time my husband sees him I want to bring up the wheat germ oil though and see what he thinks. Taking Vitamin E would be a great idea.

My husband is getting a sperm test done on Monday because he is due for one, and will have another in 3 months. I looking forward to seeing if there are any changes.

#12 Maurie

Maurie
  • 53 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:00 PM

My Dh has azoospermia and tried three rounds of acupunture with a man who had trained at a fertility clinic in China and we didn't see any improvement at all. Maybe other people have had more positive experiences but I was pretty disappointed.

Three rounds isn't anywhere near enough. Because the life cycle of sperm is three months, it takes at least three months of treatment with acupuncture and herbs (and supplements, if any--CoQ10, zinc, etc.) to see an improvement. I'm surprised the acupuncturist didn't explain that to you. Think of sperm as like a crop of vegetables that takes three months to grow. Nothing--not Chinese medicine, not western medicine, not vitamins--can increase the number that are already growing. In order to increase the numbers, you have to start at the beginning... and that means you have to do whatever treatment you're doing for at least three months.
Started IVF at age 39 due to male factor (which was caused by testicular cancer)
Excellent response, plenty of eggs (9-16 every time) but... 4 failed cycles despite being at excellent clinics; all BFN's
Last cycle at CCRM, at age 41, with CCS genetic testing; turned out our embryos were abnormal
Moving on to donor egg