#1 ~*Megan*~

~*Megan*~
  • 1000+
  • 3055 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:ISIS Mississauga

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:29 AM

Good morning Dr.
While waiting to start our 3rd IUI I was thinking of taking this product.

http://www.early-pre...vicalmucus.html

What do you think of this product?? I was told by my DR the last time we met she thinks I could have a lining issue or a CM issue. Would this help?

Any advise would be great!
Tks
Our Journey to Parenthood
TTC Since September 2007 - Diagnosis "Unexplained Infertility"
Me 28 - DH 30

Sept 2007-2008 - Trying au natural - When it was fun ;)
Sept 2008 Refered to 1st clinic, what a waste of time
Dec 2008 - Told by old clinic both my tubes were blocked, going for a lap...
Feb 2009 - Lap. done, both tubes clear and open, were never blocked
March 2009 - Clinic gave us the wrong patients results - switched clinics
April 2009 - Started at ISIS
May 2009 - 1st B2B IUI - DH counts amazing, 72 and 42 million 90% mobility - BFN!!! devastated beyond words
June 2009 - IUI #2 - 3 Good follicles - June 16th (113 million sperm, 99% motility WOOHOO) and 17th!! Beta Day July 1st - 14DPIUI...AF arrived...wondering how much more we can take :(
July 2009 - IUI #3 - Changed to timed BD...CD10 (July 10th) Only one good follicle, 2.2 I think, chose timed BD instead of IUI#3, due to only one follicle - we are going to try "au natural " this cycle - BFN again...
August 2009 - Taking time off and enjoying each other, 1st adoption meeting Sept 16th, and I also have a free round of Gonal-F waiting for us at the clinic when we decide to go back - Became a Moderator here at IVF.CA!! Thrilled to be about to give back to a wonderful site and great group
September 2009 - Explored the adoption process with Halton CAS Sept. 16 then decided to take time off from TTC and save for more fertility treatments in the future...
October 2009 - Decided to submit our application for adoption (Oct 27th) and started acupuncture, will not give up we will have a family one day
November 2009 - Finally met Karolyn, she stayed with DH and I for 3 days, she is like a sister to me, and had a few wonderful meet up's with other amazing women from the site...words can not describe what an amazing weekend that was
December 2009 - Re-doing a bunch of tests - hopefully a few IUI's in the new year with a different protocol - Maybe PRIDE training in March
January 2010 - Results from SONO and HSG, all looks great, Right tube questionable, not a huge concern as per Dr. Saving for IVF as that is our next option...might be a few years, hopefully not. Hopefully our miracle will come before -Wondering why is this so hard??
Jan 2010 Cont'd - Accepted to PRIDE training starting in March, SAFE home study to follow...We can finally dream again...
March 2010 - Started PRIDE March 22nd - 9 classes, 3 hrs every Monday night - Enjoying the class, looking forward to the future, getting all our documents ready for our SAFE homestudy package
May 1st 2010 - BFP on a HPT!!! Holy crap how did that happen...May 2nd Beta 182...May 4th Beta 300...1st U/S May 14th - 1st U/S shows healthy miracle bean - H/B and all - 127 beats per minute, what a wonderful moment between DH and I

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will...

Visit our website - http://www.ourjourne...ly.blogspot.com

#2 ~*Megan*~

~*Megan*~
  • 1000+
  • 3055 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:32 AM

My title should read "Fertile CM Supplement"
Me 28 - DH 30

May 2009 - 1st B2B IUI - DH counts amazing, 72 and 42 million 90% mobility - BFN!!! devastated beyond words
June 2009 - IUI #2 - 3 Good follicles - June 16th (113 million sperm, 99% motility WOOHOO) and 17th!! Beta Day July 1st - 14DPIUI...AF arrived...wondering how much more we can take :(
July 2009 - IUI #3 - Changed to timed BD...CD10 (July 10th) Only one good follicle, 2.2 I think, chose timed BD instead of IUI#3, due to only one follicle - we are going to try "au natural " this cycle - BFN again...
August 2009 - Taking time off and enjoying each other, 1st adoption meeting Sept 16th, and I also have a free round of Gonal-F waiting for us at the clinic when we decide to go back - Became a Moderator here at IVF.CA!! Thrilled to be about to give back to a wonderful site and great group
September 2009 - Explored the adoption process with Halton CAS Sept. 16 then decided to take time off from TTC and save for more fertility treatments in the future...
October 2009 - Decided to submit our application for adoption (Oct 27th) and started acupuncture, will not give up we will have a family one day
November 2009 - Finally met Karolyn, she stayed with DH and I for 3 days, she is like a sister to me, and had a few wonderful meet up's with other amazing women from the site...words can not describe what an amazing weekend that was
December 2009 - Re-doing a bunch of tests - hopefully a few IUI's in the new year with a different protocol - Maybe PRIDE training in March
January 2010 - Results from SONO and HSG, all looks great, Right tube questionable, not a huge concern as per Dr. Saving for IVF as that is our next option...might be a few years, hopefully not. Hopefully our miracle will come before -Wondering why is this so hard??
Jan 2010 Cont'd - Accepted to PRIDE training starting in March, SAFE home study to follow...We can finally dream again...
March 2010 - Started PRIDE March 22nd - 9 classes, 3 hrs every Monday night - Enjoying the class, looking forward to the future, getting all our documents ready for our SAFE homestudy package
May 1st 2010 - BFP on a HPT!!! Holy crap how did that happen...May 2nd Beta 182...May 4th Beta 300...1st U/S May 14th - 1st U/S shows healthy miracle bean - H/B and all - 127 beats per minute, what a wonderful moment between DH and I

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will...

#3 DrFionaMcCulloch

DrFionaMcCulloch
  • Physician
  • 842 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:White Lotus Naturopathic

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:42 PM

Hi Megan
This would be ok so long as you fit the criteria I mentioned before for L-Arginine. The dose might not be high enough to help with thin lining problems but it would provide a benefit to CM.
warmest regards,
Dr Fiona
Dr. Fiona McCulloch, BSc., ND : Naturopathic Doctor, Integrative Women's Health & Fertility
White Lotus Integrative Medicine
Greenfield Ave, Suite 201
North York, Ontario, M2N 3CBCanada
phone (416) 730-8218

#4 ~*Megan*~

~*Megan*~
  • 1000+
  • 3055 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:17 PM

Tks for the quick reply :)
Where can I get L-Arginine??? And what kind of dosage should I use?
Me 28 - DH 30

#5 DrFionaMcCulloch

DrFionaMcCulloch
  • Physician
  • 842 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:33 AM

Hi Megan
2g 2x per day of L-Arginine would work. Re: where to get it...it's widely available, I usually recommend professional brands due to quality.
Dr. Fiona McCulloch, BSc., ND : Naturopathic Doctor, Integrative Women's Health & Fertility
phone (416) 730-8218

#6 ~*Megan*~

~*Megan*~
  • 1000+
  • 3055 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:22 PM

So should I come see you for the L-Arginine??
We are not going to be cycling anytime soon, so this is safe to take while not cycling, and how long should I take it for?
Me 28 - DH 30

#7 DrFionaMcCulloch

DrFionaMcCulloch
  • Physician
  • 842 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:45 PM

Hi Megan,
you can send me an email or pm if you like for more information
warmest regards,
Dr Fiona
phone (416) 730-8218

#8 Luckypenny

Luckypenny
  • Cyclebase
  • 1837 posts
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Centre

Posted 09 January 2010 - 01:15 AM

Megan,
L-arginine is an amino acid readily available at health food stores. They will have professional brands. If you go to a reputible health food store they will have someone knowledgable on staff that can direct you to a quality brand. If you are close to a Qi Natural Foods their prices are better than anywhere else I have ever looked (it is so much less expensive that I go there and stock up every three or four months. It is a 2 hour drive for me one way, but for me I save enough to make it well worth the trip).

In Randine Lewis' book "The Infertility Cure" L-arginine is one of the supplements recommended for Advanced Maternal Age. The information in the book is "a study published in Human Reproduction (1999)found increased ovarian response, endometrial receptivity, and pregnancy rates in IVF patients who supplemented daily with large doses (16 grams) of oral L-arginine, an amino acid. These studies have not been reproduced in women who are experiencing a normal cycle, but the response remains the same: increased blood flow to the ovaries. I generally recommend that women take no more than 4 grams per day of L-arginine". The dose Dr. Fiona recommends is the same as the dose recommended in Randine Lewis' book.

I loved Randine Lewis' book and found it so inspirational. My caution would be - when I read this book I truly believed that I would be able to get pregnant naturally. So, it was hard to accept and move on ART. But I don't think my pursuit of alternative medicine was "unsuccessful". I think I gained enormous health benefits and that it will improve our chances of success when we start ART. My other big caution would be against "self medicating". Go to a reputible ND/TCM doctor/acupuncturist. If you can go to one that specializes in fertility, all the better. Dr. Fiona sounds amazing. We are lucky to have her join us on this board, and for anyone looking for an alternative practitioner who really understands fertility and can tailor a program to improve overall and specifically reproductive health. Also, it is best NOT to wait until you are cycling to improve your health. One thing that I found SO amazing in The Infertility Cure is that "follicles are selected from the pool of resting follicles almost a year before ovulation, when they are recruited to become biologically active. Then, about 5 months before ovulation, the 0.03-millimeter follicle is chosen from the pool to double in size (to about 0.06 millimeter) and become a primary follicle. Approximately 120 days before ovulation, it again doubles in size as it reaches the secondary stage. The follicle then cylces through stages called the preantral and antral phases, during which it takes on the appearance of a circular chamber, growing from about 0.12 millimeter to about 1 millimeter in approximately 65 days. Over the course of five months, the follicle has quadrupled in size". Randine Lewis encourages her patients to improve their health for 3 months before trying to concieve. The improvements in health effect the likelihood of success in conceiving and also the health of the pregnancy and the health of the baby. Healthy eggs = healthy babies. I think this three month investment with a reputible ND/TCM doc/acupuncturist that specializes in fertility is a good idea for anyone contemplating IVF. If you are going to spend $10,000+, why wouldn't you want to improve the chances for success.

That's my plug for Dr. Fiona. SOOO Glad you are here!
Me: 35 DH:35
Dx: Unexplained
Started ttc September 2006
November 2007 - Initial consult at LifeQuest
January 2008 - Diagnostic testing.
February 2008 - Test results - No problems with DH. Dr. suspected I had a PCOS variant and that I probably wasn't ovulating. Suggested superovulation (injectibles) with or without IUI
Decided to forgo treatment for the time being and focus on improving my health.
March 2008 - October 2009 - LOTS of alternative therapy. You name it, I tried it!
February 2009 - confirmed via cycle monitoring I was now ovulating and my ovaries both look fine. Officially unexplained IF. Hmmm, now what?
Next Steps: Had initial consult with Dr. Virro at Markham Fertility Centre on October 1, 2009. Hysteroscopy/laproscopy performed on February 5, 2010. Post op appointment on March 8, 2010. Found out one small spot of endo removed from uterus and a very tiny septum resected.
Started BCP on March 31, 2010.
First IVF (first anything!) cycle after.
Last BCP April 20th.
Started stims: April 25 (Puregon - varied from 100iu to 42.5iu, Menopur - 75iu, and orgalutron)
ER date - May 5th.
14 retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized - 4 via IVF, 3 via ICSI
3 days past retrieval - 5 8-cell embryos (3 via IVF, 2 via ICSI), 2 lagging 6-cell embryos (1 via IVF, 1 via ICSI)
ET on May 10, 5day past retrieval - tranferred 1 "superb, could sell it on e-bay" embaby - grade 5AB0! 4 more "lovely" totsicles (2 5day, 2 6day). The ivf embies did better than the icsi embies.
Beta - May 21s: BFP! Beta was 507! Still early days, but we're happy to be pg!
Viability scan - June 11. Baby right on track, heartrate of 140bpm, measuring 7weeks 1day at just over 1cm long. HOWEVER, big cyst in my right ovary. Going back for another u/s in two weeks to monitor the cyst.
U/S to monitor cyst - June 24 - cyst shrank slightly. Baby still measuring on track, 9weeks 1day and just over 2cm long, heartrate of 167bpm
12week u/s - July 12 - cyst had shrank to 2cm. Baby looked like a baby! Moving around and flailing arms and legs. Just over 5.5cm long, heartrate of 160bpm. Nuchal scan and nasal bone both looked good. Doctor's appointment went well.
20 week ultrasound and doctors appointment - baby looks good - its a girl :) Test results from IPS test show a 1 in 20,000 risk of a chromosomal abnormality. Placenta is partially covering cervix, doctor will check again at 32 weeks.
26 week doctors appointment - GD test
30 week doctors appointment - got GD test results, I passed. Baby measuring on track, good strong heartbeat :)
32 week doctors appointment - u/s to check placenta position to see if it has been pulled up from my cervix and also to check baby's size

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#9 ~*Megan*~

~*Megan*~
  • 1000+
  • 3055 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 08:37 AM

I have that book down stairs, and I think I will start reading it soon :)
That is great info and yes, Dr Fiona, we are SOOOO glad you are here!

Tks Luckypenny!! You are the best! Great info!
Me 28 - DH 30

#10 DrFionaMcCulloch

DrFionaMcCulloch
  • Physician
  • 842 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:01 AM

Thanks so much. I really appreciate all your kind words and for making me feel so welcome here. I'm truly honoured to be part of this group, such a supportive community of wonderful helpful people, and I am so grateful that a group like this exists, support and friendships can get us through the hardest times. As a member of Randine's group of practitioners, having studied with her personally on her retreats and on an ongoing basis, I can say that she is a true healer, and I consider myself so fortunate to have her as a mentor. Many babies have been brought into this world through her ideas and the empowerment they bring to women and men struggling on this path. Her methods are really unique as she has created tcm fertility treatments which fit western lifestyles and health conditions with a strong focus on mind-body wellness, and although much of her book is about natural conception, a lot of it can be fit with ART protocols. I'd highly recommend her book to anyone interested in this topic.
phone (416) 730-8218

#11 ~*Megan*~

~*Megan*~
  • 1000+
  • 3055 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 02:38 PM

I will start reading it tomorrow :)
Me 28 - DH 30

#12 babatime

babatime

BiCentennial

• Cyclebase
  • 3554 posts
  • Interests:Having a Baby, gardening, reading, cooking, sewing, drawing, camping,
  • My Clinic:Foothills

Posted 09 January 2010 - 03:04 PM

I also have her book and meditation DVD and just love it.
Me 42 DH 39
5 Years Unexplained
IUI x 2 with clomid feb, march 2009 BFN
-----------------------
IVF # 1 Jun/July 2009, BFN
-----------------------
IVF#2 November/December 2009 BFN

Lily Annabelle born on September 26th at 11:48 am at 29 weeks gestation. Welcome to the world my little angel.
David Lucca born on September 26th at 12:47 pm at 29 weeks gestation. Welcome to the world my little angel.

#13 ~*Megan*~

~*Megan*~
  • 1000+
  • 3055 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 08:10 AM

Tks everyone :)
Me 28 - DH 30