Photo
- - - - -

Switching to PCRM from UBC?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 bc_ivf

bc_ivf
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Being in the big beautiful outdoors of BC.
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:UBC

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:51 AM

Hi ladies,

I'm hoping you can offer me some insight and advice. I've done two cycles with UBC and although the first cycle was great I'm finding the second one a little less great. I have had some confusion about ebryo's making it to freeze and then about my hcg beta results. All in all, I'm feeling like a number and the team approach at UBC is leaving me cold. After a failed cycle last week the RE still hasn't called me back. I get the feeling they're just too busy...

I'm meeting with PCRM in January but wanted to know if they also use the team approach. Where you don't really know which RE will do the U/S, ER, ET, etc. Also, do you have access to the RE or is all your information (like meds/results) given by the Nurses.

I have to say, I asked a couple Nurses at UBC about my results - i.e. why didn't embryo's make it to freezing? did they arrest? and the answer I got back was "I don't know." Then after more questions "I can transfer you to the lab."

For the amount of money it costs you think there would be a little more attention to detail and service.

Thank goodness for this site! :)
Me 40 DH 44

TTC for our first
Tubal / Variable (good/bad) morph

Ectopic Nov / Dec 2004
March 2005 all clear
Various surgery, tests, low-tech (clomid) etc. 2006-08

IVF#1+ICSI - April 2009 - Cancelled (low E2)
IVF#2+ICSI - May/June 2009 - BFN
IVF #3+ICSI - Nov 2009//Transfer - Nov 19 3 beautiful embryos//HPT + 9dp3dt, 11dp3dt, 12dp3dt//Beta - Dec 3 (14dp3dt) BFN (RE suspected implantation did occur)
IVF #4+ICSI - 2010

Adoption 101 - March 27 2010

God and faith be my guide.
Whatever will be, will be.

#2 Heather S

Heather S
  • Cyclebase
  • 899 posts
  • Interests:Yoga, Painting, Swimming, Reading, Babies
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 08 December 2009 - 03:52 PM

bc_ivf: they do use the team approach at PCRM in that you don't know which RE will do your u/s, ER or ET. Your own RE will try to do the ER and ET if he can. With so many girls cycling at once they have to rotate their schedules to accomodate everyone unfortunately. There are 3 docs that do the u/s and ER / ET. I've had my own RE for the ER and ET and for the majority of the u/s. If successful, the viability u/s are with your own RE. It can be tough getting past the nurses to get info from your RE but if you are concerned about anything you just need to stress how important it is that you talk to them, or alternately wait until after 4:30 then call the on-call cell # that will put you through to an RE directly. It may not be your own RE but at least its more info than what the nurses can give sometimes. Also, sometimes getting answers directly from the lab is a good thing. I had extra questions about my embryos that the nurses were not able to help with and the embryologist called me back a couple of times & was more than willing to help.

I really like PCRM, though there is one nurse that I refuse to deal with. I've told my RE this and he has tried to get other nurses to work with me instead.

Best of luck in your decision. I hope it goes well for you!

me 40; DH 41 PCOS + Male Factor

ICSI #1: Apr/May09ER
Apr 30/09; 24 retrieved, 21 mature, 17 fertilized
ET May 5/09; transferred two 2BB embryos + froze two (a 4BB and a 4BA) on day 6
beta May 14/09 = BFP! (99, 147, 299)
u/s #1 7.7mm & 123hbpm u/s #2 9weeks - everything looks good
7/13/09 missed miscarriage identified at 12 week appt . hb stopped @ 9w4d.

FET #1 Oct 29/09
transferred 2 (4bb and 4ba)
Beta Nov 7/09 = BFP hcg:55. Beta #2 = 84. Beta #3 = 151; Beta #4 = 1424
u/s #1 160bpm and 8.7mm;
EDD July 17, 2010
u/s #2 178bpm and 2.46cm
Baby girl Hailey Denae born July 21st 2010

ICSI #2: Nov/Dec12 Here we go again! Antagonist protocol this time around.
300 bravelle 150 menopure Baseline Nov 22nd.
Start stims Nov 23rd. Est Retrieval Dec 4-6 and Est Transfer Dec 9-11
after 3 days of stims e2=1604, s/b 500-700. yikes! E2 levelled off.
ER Dec 3/12; 14 Retrieved, 9 Fertilized
ET Dec 8/12; 4AA & 2BB transferred, froze 4BB and 3BB on day 6
Beta Dec 17/12 9dp5dt = 64. Beta #2 11dp5dt = 68. Beta #3 13dp5dt = 101. Beta #4 15dp5dt = 178. Beta #5 19dp5dt=493. 
Heartbeat at 6w u/s.  No heartbeat at 7w u/s.  Miscarriage, again

FET March 27/13 One blast didn't make it, the other hadn't fluffed up before transfer. BFN

We're done with ART and will be a happy family of 3.

#3 HugsALot

HugsALot
  • 533 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 08 December 2009 - 04:38 PM

Perhaps you can ferry over to our beautiful island??? Doctor Hudson does EVERYTHING himself, and I mean everything!!! Take your blood, your Ultrasounds, your consults! He is a blessing and cares deeply about each of us.

Victoria Fertility, Victoria, BC

Good luck!
xoxoxo

#4 Emily81

Emily81
  • 1000+
  • 1533 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:AART- Halifax

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:20 PM

At my clinic(AART, Halifax) the nurses do ALL the u/s, is this not the norm? I would love to have had an RE do the u/s! Best of luck!

Me: 31, DH:34
? Mild PCOS/ Mild Male factor- Low Morph- 9%
TTC- Since Dec 2005

August/Sept 2009- IUI + injectabes cycle- BFN- was converted from IUI to IVF(20 follies growing) and then back to IUI(3 mature follies)....

IVF/ICSI cycle Sept/Oct 2010- BFP- (I insisisted on ICSI against my Drs wishes, and in the end we needed it)..
Oct 12- ER- 19 eggs, 15 mature, 6 fert
Oct 15- ET- morula- 18/20 & a 10 cell- 19/20 (Faith & Wish)
- OHSS starts 8dp3dt- Early beta in ER-636- 12dp3dt, #2- 4,267- 17dp3dt
Nov 23- 8 week u/s- TWINS
Incompetent Cervix diagnosed at 24 weeks. Hospital bedrest 24- 33 weeks due to 0.6 cm cervix, 1-2 cms dialated(at 24 weeks)
May 16th- 2011- Baby A breaks his water
May 18th- 2011- Boys arrive 33w1d
Baby A- CM- 4 lbs 4 oz, 17.5 in, 3:01 PM Baby B- CL- 4 lbs 2 oz, 16.5 in, 3:55 PM Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

#5 Aja

Aja
  • Cyclebase
  • 602 posts
  • My Clinic:UBC/PCRM/VFC

Posted 08 December 2009 - 08:27 PM

I made the switch from UBC to PCRM and I totally understand what you mean. It is very very busy and unorganized at UBC. I did not find this problem at all at PCRM. As Heather said, they do have a team approach to the u/s, ER and ET but try to get your own RE if available. At least there are only 3 doctors that do it at PCRM (unlike 7 or 8 or whatever it was when I was at UBC). But all scheduled items (appointments, follow-ups, other screening u/s, shg, mock transfer, etc.) is scheduled with your own RE.

I had the same problem too getting any information from the nurses and you were never able to talk to your (or any) doctors. I didn't have this problem at PCRM. I spoke with Dr. Roberts several times personally by phone during my cycle when I had questions and concerns and the embryologists answered all my questions and were easy to get a hold of as well.

All that said, I have not had success at PCRM and although on the whole, I was not unhappy with the treatment there. I have met with Dr. Hudson at VFC and plan to cycle with him in the new year for my final attempt.

co to ivf - I must vary from province to province as I have never heard of a nurse giving the ultrasound. All mine have always been done by the RE or a couple times by a special ultrasound tech.
Me: 38 DH: 42
TTC 11 yrs
PCOS, Endometriosis, male factor, thyroid
5 yrs trying natural, Clomid, etc.
4 failed IUI
2 laps
IVF/ICSI - 2003
U/S - twins!
14 wks - miscarry one
Feb.2 04 beautiful baby boy!

IVF#2 - BFN

Waiting for a big bag of money to fall from the sky and land on my lawn so that we can try again.

#6 bc_ivf

bc_ivf
  • 105 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:16 PM

Thank you so much for all the feedback! It is encouraging to know that I'm not alone in this journey and my experiences are similar to yours. :flowers:

I'm actually from Vancouver Island (now living on the Mainland) so I do like the idea of checking out VFC. Here we go 2010.
Me 40 DH 44

TTC for our first

Ectopic Nov / Dec 2004
March 2005 all clear

IVF #3+ICSI - Nov 2009//Transfer - Nov 19 3 beautiful embryos//HPT + 9dp3dt, 11dp3dt, 12dp3dt//Beta - Dec 3 (14dp3dt) BFN (RE suspected implantation did occur)
IVF #4+ICSI - 2010

#7 candiss

candiss

candiss

• 484 posts
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility Clinic

Posted 09 December 2009 - 03:43 PM

Hi bc_ivf,

I have never cycled at any other clinic except VFC. However I dont believe you could have a better experiance than what you'd get there. Dr Hudson and his staff are wonderful. He does it ALL for every one of his patients :)

After our failed cycle he called us at home that evening after getting the results of the beta ,and was so kind , caring and reassuring.

Even though its a very busy clinic , it still has a "small" homey feel to it and the staff and Dr Hudson can make you feel like you are the only one cycling there. You are definately a priority in their eyes .

Here I sit at nearly 34 weeks pregnant and havent been back to the clinic since last spring , and just the other day received an email from Dr Hudson checking on our pregnancy and to wish us a a Merry Christmas.... now that , to me, is going above a beyond. He is a very special Dr.

Of course this is only my personal opinion , and like I said I have never cycled elsewhere. But after our experiances at VFC I highly recommend them .

I wish you all the best ,and good luck with whichever clinic you choose.
IVF # 1 Jan 2009 BFN :(

IVF #2 here we come ...
March 19 CDI

April 8 - start suprefact 0.5cc once daily
April 19 - AF
April 20 - u/s showed 6 follicles :)
april 21 - Start whopping dose Gonal F 375iu 75 iu Luverius
April 27th- u/s 7 follicles 13mm and a couple 11mm ( and some stragglers) , lining 11.5 :)
April 29th - u/s 8 follicles measuring 12-16 mm lining 13mm
May 1 - u/s 10 follicles measuring 13mm- 20mm.. lining 13mm
May 2 trigger at 9:45
May 4 ER 11 eggs yahoo!
May 5 - 8 eggs fertilized
May 6 - 3 beautiful embyos two graded at 19 one and 20!!
May 7 - ET !! transferred 3 embies two 19's and one 20 ! saying our prayers..
May 18th positive HPT!! yahoo
May 19 - beta - 240 !! BFP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
May 21 - beta 595 !!
June 3rd - u/s 10:15 am. Twins! Baby A perfect.. Baby B much smaller , not looking good ..hoping and praying our lil bean pulls thru
June 14th u/s 10:30.. lost our precious baby B .
June 24 th u/s baby is measuring perfectly at 9 weeks 5 days , heartbeat 176bpm
July 13 - First obgyn appt.. heard babys heartbeat 161bpm everything looks good.
July 20- u/s heartbeat 160bpm baby is a thumb sucker :) but after some poking started to dance!
Aug 4 obgyn appt babys hb 159 bpm
Aug 18 obgyn hb 156 cervis looks good
Aug 28 19 week u/s 11:00 baby looks perfect .
Yahoo .........We are having a BOY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Scheduled C section January 13th

Beautiful baby boy 8lbs 2 oz .... Conor Hudson Lacharite

NOVEMBER 2010
Surprise !! Natural pregnancy ..complete shock!! This was NEVER supposed to be able to happen ?
Nov 24 1st positive HPT
Nov 25 another ++ ..still in shock
Nov 26 - had to pee again to be 100% ..yep still positive. Brown discharge :(
** head to emerg to see if we are having a ectopic, but cant see anything yet on u/s . Too soon to tell?
Nov 26 - Beta 300
Nov 28 - Beta 525 Still having some brown reddish discharge.
Dec 1 - Beta 908 Praying for a miracle
Dec 4 - Beta 1700
U/S booked for Mon Dec 6
Ectopic pregnancy..given methotrexate
Dec 9 - emergency surgery to remove tube.

#8 impatient

impatient
  • Cyclebase
  • 2816 posts
  • My Clinic:public adoption

Posted 10 December 2009 - 01:06 PM

My experience at PCRM was about 80% positive. My main RE was Dr Havelock, but I'd say the procedures and ultrasounds were done 50/50 by him and the other RE. I emailed my RE a couple of times with questions and the responses were prompt, but very brief. Face to face though, he was very good at answering questions. IMO, the weak point of this clinic is some of the support staff and nurses - some are absolutely amazing, but some are really not great at all.

I've just changed to VFC, and I LOVE them! They have one very down to earth RE who does everything including taking blood. The staff there are SO great. So professional, friendly and funny. If you're from Vancouver Island, you should definitely meet with them too before settling on PCRM. -_- (sorry - I'm biased!)
Me: 41, DH: 44
TTC: since Jan, 2008 (age 34)

DH: Low morphology, low count. Me: Stage 2-3 endometriosis, non-functional fallopian tubes, small fibroids, low AFC, low poor responder ... anything else?

Jun 2008-Sep 2011 in a nutshell: One HSG, one very traumatic office hysteroscopy, one operative laparoscopy, three fresh IVF/ICSI cycles, one chemical, one early miscarriage, two tubal recanalizations, five IUIs (3 with Clomid).

May 2010 - Aug 2011 Attempted adoption application process through the BC MCFD. Aug 2011 Signed up with a private agency. On both waiting lists as of Apr 2012. Proposal through MCFD Jul 2012. Aug 2012 - Finally ... she's home and we're a family! : )

Adoption application #2 started Aug 2013. DD2 placed May 2014, finalized Feb 2015!

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas Edison

#9 bc_ivf

bc_ivf
  • 105 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:04 PM

Wow! Okay I'm really liking this feedback for VFC! Thanks ladies!!
Me 40 DH 44

TTC for our first

Ectopic Nov / Dec 2004
March 2005 all clear

IVF #4+ICSI - 2010

#10 Jenn77

Jenn77
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 03:38 PM

bc_ivf - I am cycling at PCRM right now and have come here from Calgary as my experience there wasn't as positive as I had hoped and I am so happy with everything they have done for me. I paid for satellite monitoring with Calgary and PCRM kept me posted, I got here yesterday which was day 9 of stims and had my 1st apt this morn and was VERY impressed!! I did not see my Dr but was very happy to see someone just as nice and just as knowlegible. The nurses have been so good with there explanations and have never once made me feel like I am asking a question they have heard a thousand times. The clinic itself is beautiful and overall my experience there has been wonderful, not a bad thing to say. Is it possible to have a consult at both, maybe you will get a feel for things once you are there in the atmosphere talking to the Dr?? I think every situation is so individual, I have spoke with so many Calgary girls who LOVE the clinic and I have a much different opinion BUT I don't think it would be fair to say Calgary isn't a good clinic or not rcmd it just b/c it wasn't a good fit for me?? I, to date am having a positive experience at PCRM and would consider myself a "high maintenance" patient, lol...
Good Luck with your decision!
Jenn
Me33,DH33
TTC 3yrs
DX un-explained/poss tubal
Oct2009 IVF try #1 (Foothills),stubborn cervix could not get thru moc transfer
high anxiety/low threshold for pain, laminaria tent placed (didn't work)
Decided to stop cycle and find a clinic that could offer deep sedation, crazy I know.
Jan 2009 ectopic pregnancy, happened on it's own??!!
Oct 19/09 Hystereoscopy, uterus good
IVF try #2 at PCRM
Nov 10/09 Started Marvelon
Nov 21/09 Started Lupron
Dec 3/09 Baseline, Started stims!!
Dec 6/09 b/w estrogen @ 547
Dec 8/09 estrogen 1337 5 follicles each side (11-14mm)
Dec 10/09 estrogen 4774 5 follicles each side (14-16mm)
Dec 12/09 estrogen 9582 12 follicles (18-21mm)
Dec 12/09 Trigger shot....
Dec 14/09 13 retrieved, 12 mature, 7 fertilized
Dec 19/09 transfered 2 blasts 4AA&4BB
wait, wait, wait, now............
Dec 29/09 1st Beta 565!!!!!!!!!!!!! BFP!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dec 31/09 2nd Beta 1252!!!!!!!
Jan 11/2010 Confirmed by u/s TWINS, two heart beats!!!!!
April 9/2010 It's a Boy and a Girl!!!
August 20/2010 scheduled c-section

August 11/2010 had my babies!!!! 36 weeks and 2 days. Went for my weekly check-up and my blood pressure was up up, sent for b/w and that came back abnormal Dr's decided to take babies early. Bowen Robert 6.11lbs and Brooklyn Isabella 5.7lbs are both happy and healthy, I am truly blesssed and one of the lucky ones that got to have a very happy ending to this journey.

#11 CnC

CnC
  • Global 100+
  • 711 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Edmonton/PCRM/VFC

Posted 18 December 2009 - 12:55 PM

Hi Bc_ivf:

You have already received a lot of great feedback, but i thought i would add my two cents. I travelled from Edmonton to PCRM for my first and second attempts at IVF. Although i was very impressed with the clinic while i was cycling, once i received my BFN, i felt liked i was dropped like a hot potato and they wanted nothing to do with us unless we gave more money for another cycle.

I took the advise of many and decided to give Dr. Hudson a try at VFC....and it was without a doubt the best experience ever. He truly is an amazing Dr that makes you feel like you are his only client. He has a small, family run, clinic and all of the staff there are absolutely fabulous....

Even though i was not successful at VFC either, Dr. Hudson wasn't willing to give up on me. He called me on a regular basis to check up on my well-being (psychologically) and gave me the appropriate time needed to heal to start the process again.........except, through an absolute miracle, i became pregnant naturally. I am now 29 weeks and Dr. Hudson also sent me an email last week checking up on my pregnancy and wishing me and my family all the best for Christmas and 2010.

It's definitely worth the consult....free....and he is available by email/phone 24/7.

Best of luck with your decision!

Christie
TTC - 3 years (diagnosis - Unexplained)\
DH - 39 Me - 37
Nov. '07 - Feb. '08 - 4 failed back to back IUI's (all GonalF stim'd)
IVF #1 - PCRM (Burnaby) May 30 - CANCELLED due to only having 3 mature follies
Converted to IUI - June 3
IUI - BFN (June 18th)
IVF #2 - PCRM (Burnaby) August 2/08
E/R - August 7/08
E/T - August 12/08 (Happy Anniversary Honey!!) - 2 - Grade 2 Morulae
Beta - August 21, 2008 - Beta 23 - Positive...but barely!
M/C - August 23, 2008
Beta - August 26 - 7...m/c......devastated.......

IVF #3 - Victoria Fertility Clinic
E/R - Nov. 16 - 5 mature retrieved - 4 fertilized
E/T - Nov. 19 - Trasferred all FOUR! (1 - 3d morula graded 19/20, 2- 8 cell graded 18/20, and 1 - 7 cell graded 16/20)
Beta - December 1, 2008...BFN

Don't know where to turn next.....planning for IVF#4 in September 2009

July 7, 2009 - Oh my god.....we found today that we pregnant...how did that happen???
07/16/2009 - u/s - baby measuring 6wks and 4 days with heartbeat of 120 bpm
11/08/2009 - u/s - baby measuring 10wks and 6 days with heartbeat of 150 bpm

Our Miracle has arrived - Ilenia Savina born on March 2, 2010 at 5:23 p.m. weighing 7 lbs 9 oz! She truly is the most precious gift ever!

#12 impatient

impatient
  • Cyclebase
  • 2816 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 01:22 PM

Although i was very impressed with the clinic while i was cycling, once i received my BFN, i felt liked i was dropped like a hot potato and they wanted nothing to do with us unless we gave more money for another cycle.

I agree. That was one of my concerns too. I felt like they'd tried the protocol they try with everyone and they didn't really have a 'next step'. I got more info from my first consult at VFC than I did at my follow up after my BFN at PCRM.

But that said - I'm sure that if I'd gotten a BFP at PCRM, I would have thought they were the best ever. ^_^

DH: Low morphology, low count. Me: Stage 2-3 endometriosis, non-functional fallopian tubes, small fibroids, low AFC, low poor responder ... anything else?

Jun 2008-Sep 2011 in a nutshell: One HSG, one very traumatic office hysteroscopy, one operative laparoscopy, three fresh IVF/ICSI cycles, one chemical, one early miscarriage, two tubal recanalizations, five IUIs (3 with Clomid).

May 2010 - Aug 2011 Attempted adoption application process through the BC MCFD. Aug 2011 Signed up with a private agency. On both waiting lists as of Apr 2012. Proposal through MCFD Jul 2012. Aug 2012 - Finally ... she's home and we're a family! : )

Adoption application #2 started Aug 2013. DD2 placed May 2014, finalized Feb 2015!

Thomas Edison

#13 kme

kme
  • 111 posts
  • My Clinic:Edmonton

Posted 21 December 2009 - 07:17 PM

I'm finding this very interesting to read. I'm going to have to decide if I'm going to switch from my current clinic to PCRM in the next few months - my RE offered that as one of our options and recommended Burnaby, but I've also been reading great things about Victoria. Not sure what to do.
Me - 38
DH - 40
2002 - left ovary removed due to cyst
Oct/08 - cyst found on right ovary after 1yr TTC
Nov/08 - surgery to remove cyst, ovary saved!
then...BFP 1 week after surgery (no beta bf surg, big mistake by md)
Dec/08 - miscarriage
Mar/09 - fertility appts start, more surgery?
June/09 - start bcp
July 10 - cysts drained, start menopure
July 22 - ER, 9 eggs, 5 fertilized top grade
July 27 - ET, 2 perfect embies, 3 frozen
Aug 3 - AF...devastated
Oct 26 - start sniffing
Nov 23/09 - FET, 3 strong embryos
Dec 2 - Beta - BFN chemical, HSG pending,
Dec 31 - surgery again...hysteroscopy and exploratory lap to look at/remove tube
May - start metformin for new diagnosis of PCOS, have to lose 12lbs to start
June - start bcp
June 21 - suppression and weight check, all ok - here we go again!
June 24 - start .05 suprefact & 450 puregon
June 25 - cysts drained
July 5-trigger
July 7-ER, 7 eggs, 3 fertilized and are very good to excellent
July21 - beta, AF on July 19th, BFN
moving on to adoption...

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:58 PM

Well this is an interesting forum i have stumbled on!
I have done all my cycles at UBC and although there were times i was disappointed with the handling of certain situations... i cannot say they mistreated me or my cycles. I have decided that a change would be good for this next cycle and have met with PRCM twice. I never really pursued the Victoria clinic until reading this post. Can anyone comment on using a satallite office, ie PRCM for this and then having victoria do the procedure? I'm trying to make this as less stressful as possible and that was why i was leaning towards PCRM as its' so close to home and work.
Did any of you factor in costs as a reason for choosing one clinic over another? I'm not sure if these 2 clinics are comparible in price.
Manyanks and all the best this holiday season :)
NIRE

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:59 PM

I have done all my cycles at UBC and although there were times i was disappointed with the handling of certain situations... i cannot say they mistreated me or my cycles. I have decided that a change would be good for this next cycle and have met with PRCM twice. I never really pursued the Victoria clinic until reading this post. Can anyone comment on using a satallite office, ie PRCM for this and then having victoria do the procedure? I'm trying to make this as less stressful as possible and that was why i was leaning towards PCRM as its' so close to home and work.
Did any of you factor in costs as a reason for choosing one clinic over another? I'm not sure if these 2 clinics are comparible in price.
NIRE

#16 impatient

impatient
  • Cyclebase
  • 2816 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:04 AM

NIRE

The deciding factor for us (in terms of cost) was that Victoria has a deal where if you get a BFN on your first cycle, they'll give you a discounted price on your next two cycles. You do have to use their pharmacy though and their prices are marginally more expensive than PCRM. But another bonus is that Victoria has an optional program (included in the price for the three-cycle deal), where they'll set you up for one appointment with a nutritionist, one with a counsellor and four sessions with a acupuncturist. But really, the best part about Victoria is that you are not a number. For example, at PCRM, they do their blood tests in an open room next to the waiting room and there are usually two people getting blood taken at the same time. Not private at all! At VFC, the RE takes your blood before the ultrasound. You get much better service and the price (even for just one cycle) is cheaper.

Thomas Edison

#17 impatient

impatient
  • Cyclebase
  • 2816 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 11:12 AM

And forget to add ...

Yes, it's a real drag to take the ferry all the way to Victoria for appointments - there is no getting around that, unfortunately. I decided to spend just over a week at a hotel in Victoria ($79/night with full kitchen) because I didn't want the added stress, but I think it's quite possible to not spend any nights there except for maybe before and after the ER. They gave me a requisition to have some bloodwork done in Vancouver, then I had one ultrasound for suppression check, and then it was supposed to be three more during stims, but I ended up having four because it took me a little longer than expected to be ready for ER.

Still, if we have to do it again, I would gladly take that ferry all the way to Victoria and back again and again for the superior attention/service that we received at VFC.

Thomas Edison

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 January 2010 - 09:09 PM

nire - i did three ivf cycles and 3 fets with ubc and dr. rowe. i really liked him as a dr. but we just weren't having any success. as a last attempt before giving up, i did a cycle at pcrm in oct 2008. i had considered going down to ccrm in colorado or to victoria, but my husband was leery of the expense in the states and the travel, so i chose pcrm b/c it was convenient. pcrm made a bunch of changes to my protocol and i ended up pregnant with twins on the first attempt there. i wish i had switched clinics earlier! good luck with wherever you choose to go.

NIRE

#19 Buttons271

Buttons271
  • Cyclebase
  • 218 posts
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility Clinic

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:39 PM

Ladies,

Off topic but you all seem to know your way around the Vancouver Fertility clinics. Do you know where I may go for blood for my Beta on a Sunday? I will be in Vancouver for the Olympics but not familiar with the best place or any place to go on a Sunday.

If you could message me it would be greatly appreciated.

Buttons
[font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Me: 31 DH 30

TTC: 2.5 yrs
Myself: PCOS
Husband- no problems

Clomid +HCG+ IUI x2: October/March 09-BFN
75 IU Gonal F Injections + IUI: April 09- BFN
July 26- IVF ER 37 eggs
July 27- Fresh cycle transfer cancelled due to elevated progesterone pre-ovulation
July 31- 15 day 5 embryos frozen
November 3-FET #1- 3x 5 day blasts- 4AB, 3AA, 3BB- assisted hatching done
November 11- Beta- BFN
Dec 9th- Hysterscopy- Everything perfect

Fresh IVF #2- Start Suprefact Dec 31
Suppression check- Jan 21st, start Stimming Jan 22- 150 menopur
15 days of stims - trigger Feb 5th
ER-February 7th- 14 eggs!
ET- February 12- 2 blasts- 4AA and a 4AB
5 blasts frozen-4AB, 4BA, 4AA, 3AA and 2BB
Early POAS- 6dp5dt with FRER- double line!!!!, 7dp5dt and 9dp5dt-BFP on HPT
Beta #1- 10dp5dt- 312, Beta #2-12dp5dt- 667, Beta #3- 15dp5dt- 2500
Early U/S February 27 showed 2 gestational sacs at 4 wks 6 days
U/S #2 March 17th- will be 7wks 3 days
U/S shows two beautiful babies!!! Baby A 6w5d- 135 bpm, Baby B 7w1d- 138 bpm
Anatomy U/S- June 3rd- IT IS TWO GIRLS! OMG PINCH ME
October 13th- C-section booked- 37 weeks 3 days

#20 Heather S

Heather S
  • Cyclebase
  • 899 posts
  • Interests:Yoga, Painting, Swimming, Reading, Babies

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:10 AM

As far as I know all BC Biomedical sites are closed on Sundays. You may have to go to a hospital. Here is a link to bc biomedical with their locations, hours and such. Hope it helps! Wishing you great success this cycle Buttons!

http://www.bcbio.com...ochureWeb_7.pdf

me 40; DH 41 PCOS + Male Factor

ICSI #1: Apr/May09ER
Apr 30/09; 24 retrieved, 21 mature, 17 fertilized
ET May 5/09; transferred two 2BB embryos + froze two (a 4BB and a 4BA) on day 6
beta May 14/09 = BFP! (99, 147, 299)
u/s #1 7.7mm & 123hbpm u/s #2 9weeks - everything looks good
7/13/09 missed miscarriage identified at 12 week appt . hb stopped @ 9w4d.

FET #1 Oct 29/09
transferred 2 (4bb and 4ba)
Beta Nov 7/09 = BFP hcg:55. Beta #2 = 84. Beta #3 = 151; Beta #4 = 1424
u/s #1 160bpm and 8.7mm;
EDD July 17, 2010
u/s #2 178bpm and 2.46cm
Baby girl Hailey Denae born July 21st 2010

ICSI #2: Nov/Dec12 Here we go again! Antagonist protocol this time around.
300 bravelle 150 menopure Baseline Nov 22nd.
Start stims Nov 23rd. Est Retrieval Dec 4-6 and Est Transfer Dec 9-11
after 3 days of stims e2=1604, s/b 500-700. yikes! E2 levelled off.
ER Dec 3/12; 14 Retrieved, 9 Fertilized
ET Dec 8/12; 4AA & 2BB transferred, froze 4BB and 3BB on day 6
Beta Dec 17/12 9dp5dt = 64. Beta #2 11dp5dt = 68. Beta #3 13dp5dt = 101. Beta #4 15dp5dt = 178. Beta #5 19dp5dt=493. 
Heartbeat at 6w u/s.  No heartbeat at 7w u/s.  Miscarriage, again

FET March 27/13 One blast didn't make it, the other hadn't fluffed up before transfer. BFN

We're done with ART and will be a happy family of 3.

#21 keeptrying

keeptrying
  • Cyclebase
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 05:42 PM

Hi everyone,
DH and I switched after four failed cycles at Genesis to PCRM. Definately a better experience, although there is one nurse there who I refuse to deal with. That said, I still felt like a number and, although we had a successful cycle, if our one frozen embryo doesn't take, I will seriously look at VFC. I have never, ever heard a bad word about Dr.H or his clinic. Anything that makes this proces even a little bit more pleasant is well worth it, especially our third time around. I think I have earned the right to be treated with a little bit more kindness and respect.
Me (36) DH (36) Married 6 years
TTC 6 years
Diagnosed mf (low counts morphology bad blah, blah, blah) (Dec 2007)
IVF ICSI #1 January 2008 (Genesis)
1st transfer BFN
FET #1 April 2008 BFN
Long break over summer
FET #2 November 2008 BFN
FET #3 Feb 2009 BFN
What to do????
Here we go again...
New Clinic (PCRM)
Lucky IVF/ICSI #2 July 2009
Transfer August 9, 2009
HPT 6dpt BFP!!!
Beta #1 8dpt 90!!!
Beta #2 10dpt 230!!!! It's real! It's real!
Our Baby Girl born May 6, 2010
Jan/Feb 2012..one more time frozen transfer to come
Transfer delayed
Final FET Transfer March 14, 2012
1 "OK" blast
Very faint BFP 5dp5dt
BFN to follow
Official BETA 8dp5dt BFN
This journey comes to an end...
Maybe not...
Follow-up with RE to discuss latest SA
Numbers up!!!! IUI to come...
First IUI Sept 24/2012
Post Wash 2.3 million 97%motile Good quality, low quantity.
BETA Oct 8/2012
HPT 10dpo very faint BFP
HPT 11dpo darker...
HPT 12dpo little darker...
BETA Oct 9/2012
BETA: 91
BETA #2 Oct 11/2012
BETA #2: 185 Just doubled...
Nov 1, 2012 U/S all good...

#22 lyn_dub

lyn_dub
  • Global 100+
  • 415 posts
  • My Clinic:Genesis

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:24 PM

My husband and I have been going to PCRM for a few years. While we really like our doctor and most of the staff we are thinking of making the change to UBC for the next few cycles and just to get a 2nd opinion.

Me: 40 DH: 40
my blog - http://bereavedparen....wordpress.com/
TTC since December 2004
Started going to PCRM in 2006
October 2007: Super ovulation w/IUI
BFP!
our amazing son was born premature he blessed us with 25 days of life and went to Heaven after getting a lung infection (devastated)

Did 6 clomid cycles w/IUI at PCRM from Sept. 2008 - June 2010
Made the switch to Genesis in October of 2010
2 super ovulation w/IUI cycles
both BFN
March 2011
waiting for AF for ultrasound and orientation for IVF!
ultrasound showed lining very thick so have to have a hysteroscopy before starting IVF ...
April 2011
waiting for AF so I can book hysteroscopy. Hysteroscopy done. All looked to be fine.
May 2011
AF arrived. Started nasal spray. Yuck! Waiting again for AF to start injections. Should be the beginning of June!
June 2011
cycle cancelled due to poor response and thick uterine lining. d&c to happen before next cycle can be done.
November 2011
d&c done but lining went back to being thick. Put on Marvelon bcp for 2 months.
January 2012
IVF/ICSI #1
start with 75 Menopur 225 Gonal F, day 6 225 Menopur 225 Gonal F
ER - 11 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilized
ET - 3 embryos transferred (other 4 didn't make it to the frozen stage )
BFN

Follow up appt. in March
have to do 3 months of COQ10 and DHEA before proceeding.
Not sure if the CoQ10 worked but am quite sure the DHEA made things worse. Went off both vitamins after cycle was cancelled in May 2012.

May 2012
cycle cancelled due to poor response. advised to use donor eggs we're gutted. follow-up appt in June

June 2012
Dr. Yuzpe said my ovaries are NOT done! No donor eggs necessary! Cautiously optimistic. Have to lose 25 lbs and then can try another cycle.

January 2013

IVF/ICSI #2

Started with 150 Menopur/225 Bravelle. Menopur bumped to 225.

ER - 5 eggs, 4 fertilized

ET - transferred 4 day 2 embryos. Fingers crossed!

BFP! - beta 441 14dpt

Beta #2 - 6752   21dpt

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

#23 noname

noname
  • 45 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 04 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

too many choices....
PCRM, UBC or Genesis?
I am with UBC now, Dr. put me on clomiphene therapy. If there is no luck, next step would be IVF