implantation and high impact sports - Yoga, Nutrition and Fitness for Fertility - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

implantation and high impact sports

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 s00n

s00n
  • 1000+
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:Him- Potential SA issues Me- PCOS like crazy/anovulation/long cycles. Started TTC before 30.TTC/Secondary Infertility(2008-2015) - Adopted from public system in Ontario 2012.Freeze-All IVF after OHSS, and successful FET 2015 @ 36Yrs Old.
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:56 PM

I'm ttc with pcos, 30 years old with no male factor. I exercise / train 5 hours a week with my roller derby team.

In practice we do a lot of endurance skating, and some drills for hitting which can but don't often cause falls. I'd say I fall on my knees or bum 2x per practice.

We have a practice bout with a lot of hitting, and some falling, coming up soon and I will be 18 DPO. (I'm having monitored cycles, so this could be off 1 day either way but is pretty accurate.)

What I want to know is can I participate in the skating (some of it is fast, but not for long periods) and some of it will involve falling.

I can't talk to my Dr until next week, and need to know before that if I can make a reasonable commitment to be there. Of course, if my blood levels indicate I didn't release an egg this cycle it's all moot, but if I did, it's too early to tell.

Am I safe since the embryo would be so small at this point it'd be protected within my pelvic girdle?
See my about me page for details on our IF journey including adoption and other avenues.

#2 Tina37

Tina37
  • Advisor
  • 998 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:04 PM

I would wait till I knew for sure.. I wouldn't want to take any chances.. But that's just me:)

Good Luck
Me 40 DH 43IVF 2008 BFPFET 20011 BFNIVF mini Stim 2012 BFNOnto FInal IVF April 2012.Long ProtocolVit-supplementsCoQ10Omega 3 fish oilProgressive prenatal VitB-ComplexFolic Acid 5mg dailyVit-CAcupuncture pre and post ET. Highly recommend this!ET April 30thBFP May 10th 10dp3dt2dp3dt noticed cramping on the left side, pain went down my leg.3dp3dt Cramping continue's till 6dp3dt on and off.6dp3dt noticed breast tenderness9dp3dt continued changes in bbs.10dp3dt BFP hpt6 week US May 29th. Saw Heartbeat!Come on little bean, keep growing! Nicolas born Oct 31 @ 28 weeks. Spent 10 weeks in the NICU. Home and doing great!

#3 wishuponastar

wishuponastar
  • Cyclebase
  • 398 posts
  • Interests:I love reading, scrapbooking, music, spending the day with my beautiful daughters.
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:RFP, Foothills Hospital, Calgary, AB

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:29 PM

I had my IVF done at Foothills, and although I think they do err more on the side of caution than some other clinics, they do have really high success rates. After ET, I was given a list of things I shouldn't do until I find out if I am actually pregnant. Once I got the BFP, I saw my OB/GYN, and he also told me to continue the list until I was 12 weeks. His words were something like "you went to one of the most successful clinics in Canada - if they want you to stand on your head for 12 weeks, I am going to tell you to stand on your head for 12 weeks"...well, they didn't require me to do that, but the list included such things as "no intercourse, no vacuuming, no lifting more than 10 pounds"...based on that, it sounds like your sport is likely WAY more strenuous than lifting 10 pounds or vacuuming, and really, my view is, why take the chance? I know that they haven't proven that avoiding any of these issues actually prevents early miscarriage, but my clinic told me "you wouldn't want to do anything to cause you to blame yourself if it didn't work out"...so anyway, that's kinda what I stuck to. You can't guarantee that you won't be injured, hit in the tummy or even suffer a fall bad enough to cause contractions, and that definately could cause early miscarriage. I would err on the side of caution. Sorry for rambling (I usually do) but just wanted to give you my advice and something to consider. Blessings on your cycle and best of luck with your BFP!!!
Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

#4 s00n

s00n
  • 1000+
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:Him- Potential SA issues Me- PCOS like crazy/anovulation/long cycles. Started TTC before 30.TTC/Secondary Infertility(2008-2015) - Adopted from public system in Ontario 2012.Freeze-All IVF after OHSS, and successful FET 2015 @ 36Yrs Old.

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:33 PM

I would wait till I knew for sure.. I wouldn't want to take any chances.. But that's just me:)

Good Luck

I hear you - I'm torn between that and putting my entire life on hold. I know I had an 18.5 (mm?) sized follicle, but I don't know if I have enough hormones to even release it. I will (hopefully) see a corpus luteum in 6 days, which should give me 4 days to decide.

I'm hoping that I'll get a dr's idea this week about whether it'd pose a risk.

Thanks for the good luck!!
See my about me page for details on our IF journey including adoption and other avenues.

#5 s00n

s00n
  • 1000+
  • 1247 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:40 PM

I had my IVF done at Foothills, and although I think they do err more on the side of caution than some other clinics, they do have really high success rates. After ET, I was given a list of things I shouldn't do until I find out if I am actually pregnant. Once I got the BFP, I saw my OB/GYN, and he also told me to continue the list until I was 12 weeks. His words were something like "you went to one of the most successful clinics in Canada - if they want you to stand on your head for 12 weeks, I am going to tell you to stand on your head for 12 weeks"...well, they didn't require me to do that, but the list included such things as "no intercourse, no vacuuming, no lifting more than 10 pounds"...based on that, it sounds like your sport is likely WAY more strenuous than lifting 10 pounds or vacuuming, and really, my view is, why take the chance? I know that they haven't proven that avoiding any of these issues actually prevents early miscarriage, but my clinic told me "you wouldn't want to do anything to cause you to blame yourself if it didn't work out"...so anyway, that's kinda what I stuck to. You can't guarantee that you won't be injured, hit in the tummy or even suffer a fall bad enough to cause contractions, and that definately could cause early miscarriage. I would err on the side of caution. Sorry for rambling (I usually do) but just wanted to give you my advice and something to consider. Blessings on your cycle and best of luck with your BFP!!!

Thank you. I am starting to see a trend. ;) I guess I can wait and be a spectator. My challenge is that I need the exercise, to manage my PCOS. But I don't want to do anything to cause me to blame myself. And I really want a baby. (As goes without saying!)

Good luck with your pregnancy, too!!! :)

#6 FuzzyFur

FuzzyFur
  • Cyclebase
  • 1450 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:UBC

Posted 28 October 2009 - 02:49 PM

Hey soon -

I play soccer so I hear you. I wouldn't play until after your BFP and I'm not sure if I would even after that. It's not worth the risk IMHO. You CAN still exercise - things like Yoga, or stationary bike or even just skating with no contact. Might not be as exciting as you're used to, but if you get PG you'll have to find other ways of staying fit, so you might as well find them now.

:) jen
Me:39 DH:40
TTC since Aug 2005
Male Factor - Embolization Surgery Jan 2007 - didn't work

IVF #1 - Start Synarel Aug 22/07
Sept 17/07 - ER!!!!!!!! 16 eggs retrieved - all ICSI

Sept 18/07 - 15 eggs injected - 7 embrios (grow embies grow!)
Sept 20/07 - ET - 10am - 2 beautliful 8-cell Grade 1 embrios!
Oct 05/07 - 15dp3dt BFP!! - Beta 1100
Oct 13/07 - 2nd Beta 15717!!!
Oct 19/07 - 1st U/S (6w4d) - 1 healthy baby - 120pbm!
Nov 26/07 - 1st Prenatal visit - Heartbeat 154bpm
Jan 30/08 - Ultrasound! (21w2d)
DUE DATE - June 10, 2008

June 23/08 - Griffin Patrick is here! 8lbs 5oz - 22 inches long

June 9/09-Here we go again! FET#1
July 17/09 - CYCLE CANCELLED - not responding to meds[/color]
Aug 15/09 - FET#1 - round 2!
Sept 1 - ET - welcome home frosties!
Sept 15 - 14dp5dt BFP!! - Beta 957 - wooohooo!
Oct 9 - 7w6d - u/s # 2 - no growth....this one is over

IVF/ICSI #2 (Flare protocol)
Nov 16/09 - CD3 b/w & u/s - start Superfact injections
Nov 18/09 - CD5 - start stims - E2 116 - 200iu Puregon
Nov 20/09 - CD7 - E2 2209 - 125iu Puregon
Nov 23/09 - CD10 - E2 14094 - no stims, Superfact only
Nov 24/09 - CD11 - E2 15963 - no stims, no Superfact
Nov 25/09 - CD12 - E2 11780 - hcg trigger 9pm
Nov 27/09 - ER - 11 eggs retrieved - all ICSI
Nov 28/09 - 6 eggs fertilized - grow embies, grow!
Nov 30/09 - ET - Grade2, 10-cell & Grade3, 8-cell
Dec 14/09 - 14dp3dt BFP!! Beta 550 (cautiously optimistic)
Dec 21/09 - 21dp3dt - Beta 8031 - YAY!
Jan 08/10 - 8 weeks - u/s - one healthy bean h/b 167bpm
DUE DATE - Aug 20, 2010

Sept 1/10 - Declan James is here! 7lbs 15 3/4oz - 20 inches long

Are there any more in our future??? 1 frostie remains

#7 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Super Moderator
  • 7477 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:BKK/KWI/JHFC

Posted 28 October 2009 - 03:47 PM

s00n,
I don't really have much to add to the wise advice given by others - one of the best pieces of advice I've heard here was to never do anything that would lead me to question or regret my choices should something go wrong. I don't always follow it and I'm sure I'd find something to fret over if things do go south, but it's a good rule of thumb. That said, my clinic said it was fine for me to go kayaking (not the same intensity as roller derby, I expect, but ...) the day after my transfer, as long as I didn't have any discomfort or bleeding.
The plural of anecdote is not data.

Charity gives a meal; justice provides a place at the table.

#8 DesignerBug

DesignerBug
  • 1000+
  • 2646 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:ONE

Posted 28 October 2009 - 06:53 PM

Throughout my 9 IUI's and years of TTCing I played competitive soccer... lots of hitting, running and all things "bad" so to speak. Heckj, I'd have an IUI one morning and be playing that night. In my opinion I wanted to be "normal" and soccer players get knocked up all the time, so why shouldn't it work for me? I also needed my sanity and for me sanity included high impact aggressive sports....

I don't know or think that soccer ever stood between us and our success. Frankly, everything had to happen in it's own time. Do what feels right for you.

Granted... when it came to IVF and spending thousands of dollars... you didn't see me running around playing. For my successful cycle, I trained 6 days a week between soccer, boxing and basic gym stuff up until the second week of stims. Once my ovaries started filling up I stopped for fear of twisting an ovary or something bad.

Follow your gut and do what's best for you.

D
TTC#1 April 2003 - Jan 2009
9 IUIs, 12 months Fermara, 4 months Clomid, 5 rounds of injectable, 1 LAP, 1 HSG, 2 Uterine Biopsies, 1 Postcoital, 1 IVF, 2 FETs... 2nd Fesh Cycle IVF - ++Beta 110!

TTC#2 - Dreams coming true... Surprise BFP Au Naturel! Never really started trying, but never gave up hope on dreams coming true. 20w2, after 6 days of strict bedrest, we lost our baby boy, Emmett to my incompetent cervix and he was born sleeping. 24cm long, 0.67lbs he was the most perfect little angel and has brought with him many lessons for us to remember him by.

Lightening strikes twice apparently>>>> May 24 ++HPT, Followed by ++Beta. Numbers are low, but doubling. EDD Feb1/2013 ~ Baby Boy arrived 5 weeks early in under 2hrs. Left me with 4th degree tears. 2 years later, still pending reconstructive surgery :( In that time hubby had a vasectomy. Never thought we'd have a chance to take fertility into our own hands

#9 s00n

s00n
  • 1000+
  • 1247 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:41 PM

I really appreciate the varied responses.

For now I'm going to hold off and see - I've given a tentative yes, and I'm going to know more when I see the US technician on Tuesday. After that, I'll know more.

I'm trying to find balance between wanting to do all i can do for getting ready to have a baby, and not putting other aspects of my life on hold for TTC. For a baby, sure. For a maybe - i'm less sure.

Again, thanks to all!

#10 jb1979

jb1979
  • Global 100+
  • 252 posts
  • My Clinic:Hannam

Posted 30 October 2009 - 08:50 PM

i had a very hard time..I had to give up soccer and my crossfit workouts...so now its been 6 weeks walking on a treadmill. My re said keep walking on that treadmill until 12 weeks but I am going to slowly get back into lifting weights to get back some of what I lost..of course I wont go right back to what I was lifting..but god I miss my intense workouts!!
Janice
Me 33, DH 36
TTC Since Jan 2007
MFI - low motility
IVF #1 Feb of 09 bust
IVf # 2
Sept 29 - 2 blasts transferred, none to freeze (man that ticks me off!)
Oct 13 - my first positive hpt EVER! waiting on beta results
Oct 15 - 16dp5dt beta 2600!
Oct 19 - 20dp5dt - beta over 9000

June 29th - Beautiful Baby Girl born.
March 2012 - IVF # 3 road to baby # 2
Edd Dec 11..Baby boy on the way.

#11 FuzzyFur

FuzzyFur
  • Cyclebase
  • 1450 posts
  • My Clinic:UBC

Posted 30 October 2009 - 11:14 PM

Hey soon -

I should clarify - like designerbug - I did continue to play up until I started stimming, then I stopped - honestly - my ovaries were (eventually) so heavy, it would have hurt to play anyway (even some yoga poses were very uncomfortable). Wishing you luck and much success!

:) jen
Me:39 DH:40
TTC since Aug 2005
Male Factor - Embolization Surgery Jan 2007 - didn't work

IVF #1 - Start Synarel Aug 22/07
Sept 17/07 - ER!!!!!!!! 16 eggs retrieved - all ICSI

Sept 18/07 - 15 eggs injected - 7 embrios (grow embies grow!)
Sept 20/07 - ET - 10am - 2 beautliful 8-cell Grade 1 embrios!
Oct 05/07 - 15dp3dt BFP!! - Beta 1100
Oct 13/07 - 2nd Beta 15717!!!
Oct 19/07 - 1st U/S (6w4d) - 1 healthy baby - 120pbm!
Nov 26/07 - 1st Prenatal visit - Heartbeat 154bpm
Jan 30/08 - Ultrasound! (21w2d)
DUE DATE - June 10, 2008

June 23/08 - Griffin Patrick is here! 8lbs 5oz - 22 inches long

June 9/09-Here we go again! FET#1
July 17/09 - CYCLE CANCELLED - not responding to meds[/color]
Aug 15/09 - FET#1 - round 2!
Sept 1 - ET - welcome home frosties!
Sept 15 - 14dp5dt BFP!! - Beta 957 - wooohooo!
Oct 9 - 7w6d - u/s # 2 - no growth....this one is over

IVF/ICSI #2 (Flare protocol)
Nov 16/09 - CD3 b/w & u/s - start Superfact injections
Nov 18/09 - CD5 - start stims - E2 116 - 200iu Puregon
Nov 20/09 - CD7 - E2 2209 - 125iu Puregon
Nov 23/09 - CD10 - E2 14094 - no stims, Superfact only
Nov 24/09 - CD11 - E2 15963 - no stims, no Superfact
Nov 25/09 - CD12 - E2 11780 - hcg trigger 9pm
Nov 27/09 - ER - 11 eggs retrieved - all ICSI
Nov 28/09 - 6 eggs fertilized - grow embies, grow!
Nov 30/09 - ET - Grade2, 10-cell & Grade3, 8-cell
Dec 14/09 - 14dp3dt BFP!! Beta 550 (cautiously optimistic)
Dec 21/09 - 21dp3dt - Beta 8031 - YAY!
Jan 08/10 - 8 weeks - u/s - one healthy bean h/b 167bpm
DUE DATE - Aug 20, 2010

Sept 1/10 - Declan James is here! 7lbs 15 3/4oz - 20 inches long

Are there any more in our future??? 1 frostie remains

#12 impatient

impatient
  • Cyclebase
  • 2816 posts
  • My Clinic:public adoption

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:31 AM

I really appreciate the varied responses.

For now I'm going to hold off and see - I've given a tentative yes, and I'm going to know more when I see the US technician on Tuesday. After that, I'll know more.

I'm trying to find balance between wanting to do all i can do for getting ready to have a baby, and not putting other aspects of my life on hold for TTC. For a baby, sure. For a maybe - i'm less sure.

Again, thanks to all!

Good luck Soon! Exercising is my stress relief and social life too, so I totally know how you feel about putting your life on hold. Especially when it feels like we no longer have control over planning/scheduling anything in our lives. I feel like I should find a non-exercise hobby, but I don't even know what that would be! Still, I guarantee you that if this all leads to a BFP, neither of us will look back and wish that we'd worked out instead.
Me: 41, DH: 44
TTC: since Jan, 2008 (age 34)

DH: Low morphology, low count. Me: Stage 2-3 endometriosis, non-functional fallopian tubes, small fibroids, low AFC, low poor responder ... anything else?

Jun 2008-Sep 2011 in a nutshell: One HSG, one very traumatic office hysteroscopy, one operative laparoscopy, three fresh IVF/ICSI cycles, one chemical, one early miscarriage, two tubal recanalizations, five IUIs (3 with Clomid).

May 2010 - Aug 2011 Attempted adoption application process through the BC MCFD. Aug 2011 Signed up with a private agency. On both waiting lists as of Apr 2012. Proposal through MCFD Jul 2012. Aug 2012 - Finally ... she's home and we're a family! : )

Adoption application #2 started Aug 2013. DD2 placed May 2014, finalized Feb 2015!

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas Edison

#13 jb1979

jb1979
  • Global 100+
  • 252 posts
  • My Clinic:Hannam

Posted 31 October 2009 - 09:34 AM

impatient you are so right. I plan on getting back into the hi intensity training once ive hit that 12 week mark. we are going to start slowly now just so it doesnt hurt as bad lol
Janice
Me 33, DH 36
TTC Since Jan 2007
MFI - low motility
IVF #1 Feb of 09 bust
IVf # 2
Sept 29 - 2 blasts transferred, none to freeze (man that ticks me off!)
Oct 13 - my first positive hpt EVER! waiting on beta results
Oct 15 - 16dp5dt beta 2600!
Oct 19 - 20dp5dt - beta over 9000

June 29th - Beautiful Baby Girl born.
March 2012 - IVF # 3 road to baby # 2
Edd Dec 11..Baby boy on the way.

#14 s00n

s00n
  • 1000+
  • 1247 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 04:42 PM

Good news from my Dr!! I asked the RE whether I could play and she said that until I get a BFP, I can keep up with this sport. She said that at the time of a BFN, a baby'd be so tiny it's well protected.

Glad I asked her, and that she wasn't alarmist.

#15 impatient

impatient
  • Cyclebase
  • 2816 posts
  • My Clinic:public adoption

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:20 PM

Good news from my Dr!! I asked the RE whether I could play and she said that until I get a BFP, I can keep up with this sport. She said that at the time of a BFN, a baby'd be so tiny it's well protected.

Glad I asked her, and that she wasn't alarmist.

Hi Soon,

That's great! At least now you don't have to put everything on hold, and I'm sure that will help with the stress.

AFM, I've been phasing out my workouts over the last few weeks. Just had my last swim this morning before egg retrieval on Sunday. :crsd: that this time I won't be able to work out for a few months!
Me: 41, DH: 44
TTC: since Jan, 2008 (age 34)

DH: Low morphology, low count. Me: Stage 2-3 endometriosis, non-functional fallopian tubes, small fibroids, low AFC, low poor responder ... anything else?

Jun 2008-Sep 2011 in a nutshell: One HSG, one very traumatic office hysteroscopy, one operative laparoscopy, three fresh IVF/ICSI cycles, one chemical, one early miscarriage, two tubal recanalizations, five IUIs (3 with Clomid).

May 2010 - Aug 2011 Attempted adoption application process through the BC MCFD. Aug 2011 Signed up with a private agency. On both waiting lists as of Apr 2012. Proposal through MCFD Jul 2012. Aug 2012 - Finally ... she's home and we're a family! : )

Adoption application #2 started Aug 2013. DD2 placed May 2014, finalized Feb 2015!

"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Thomas Edison