12945 replies to this topic

#76 lacey

lacey
  • Global 100+
  • 490 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Markham

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:59 AM

Still waiting for AF... and getting annoyed!
The clinic gave me my tentative schedule based on having AF start today so hopefully it shows. This is the 4th day since I finished the 21 pack of pills. Should have been yesterday or today based on my experience with the pill from Oct-Feb when Dr. V had me on them.
Unexplained, 31, DH 37
TTC for 5 years
M/C at 7.5 weeks May 2006
IUI 1,2,3,4- BFN
IUI 5 BFP, M/C at 9.5 weeks June 2007
IUI 6,7- BFN
IUI/IVF#1 conversion- 1 egg, no fertilization, no transfer
IVF #2- BCP, Suprefact, Puregon
-8 eggs, 6 blasts, transferred 2, froze 4- BFN
Sept 08- new clinic
Oct 08-Diagnosed with uterine septum
Feb 13/09- Hysteroscopy- large septum removed!
Feb-Apr- Estrogen therapy
FET #1- 2 blasts transferred, 0 left frozen- BFN
IVF #3- BCP, Orgalutron, Menopur, Puregon- cancelled
IVF#3-cancelled, converted to IUI #8- BFN
IVF#3, attempt #3 w IVIg Jan/Feb 2010, Depot Lupron, Puregon, Menopur
Feb 21- ER- 10 fertilized ivf/icsi
Feb 26- Transferred 2 perfect blasts, 4 frost babies
Beta Mar 10- 807
March 31- TWINS!!! Baby A- 145bpm Baby B 150bpm (7w3d)
Both babies are breech- c-section scheduled for 38w3days.....Can't wait to find out if they are girls or boys or one of each!
Nov-2010- Boy/Girl twins!!!!! Born perfectly healthy and over 6lbs each!
March- 2012- Surprise BFP!! 887 First u/s Mar 23 Oct 29/13 Repeat csection scheduled Oct 29/13- Baby boy! 8lbs 1oz- successful VBAC (unplanned!!)

#77 aprilbaby

aprilbaby
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:55 AM

TTC#1--AHHH!! A GIRL!! CONGRATULATIONS! What beautiful news for you and dh!

Lacey,

I got my fingers crossed for you!

NIVF'ers...I have a question. When do we pay the $1000.00 fee? And do we have to go in on Cycle day 1--I don't think so from what I read from you guys. So then do we pay the fees at our first U/S. How does the ER feel without drugs??

Thanks Ladies

Lucky Penny!

Can't wait for your appt!

#78 lacey

lacey
  • Global 100+
  • 490 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:55 AM

AF finally started!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A few days later than they planned but who cares.
New tentative ER date is Oct 9th. I go tomorrow for first u/s and blood work, should be starting stims... I hope this cycle is IT for me, I am sick of this stuff!
Unexplained, 31, DH 37
TTC for 5 years
IUI 1,2,3,4- BFN
IUI 6,7- BFN
Sept 08- new clinic
Beta Mar 10- 807
Both babies are breech- c-section scheduled for 38w3days.....Can't wait to find out if they are girls or boys or one of each!
March- 2012- Surprise BFP!! 887 First u/s Mar 23 Oct 29/13 Repeat csection scheduled Oct 29/13- Baby boy! 8lbs 1oz- successful VBAC (unplanned!!)

#79 Luckypenny

Luckypenny
  • Cyclebase
  • 1837 posts
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Centre

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:00 PM

aprilbaby - thanks! I will post an update as soon as possible after appt. Probably won't be on Thursday, DH and I both are taking the day off (he works in his family's restaurant and normally has Thursday off). We are going to the ROM after our appt. (we want to see the dead sea scrolls). Are you getting close to starting your nivf?

Lacey - that is awesome that AF showed. I really hope this cycle is IT for you too! I will be following your progress!
Me: 35 DH:35
Dx: Unexplained
Started ttc September 2006
November 2007 - Initial consult at LifeQuest
January 2008 - Diagnostic testing.
February 2008 - Test results - No problems with DH. Dr. suspected I had a PCOS variant and that I probably wasn't ovulating. Suggested superovulation (injectibles) with or without IUI
Decided to forgo treatment for the time being and focus on improving my health.
March 2008 - October 2009 - LOTS of alternative therapy. You name it, I tried it!
February 2009 - confirmed via cycle monitoring I was now ovulating and my ovaries both look fine. Officially unexplained IF. Hmmm, now what?
Next Steps: Had initial consult with Dr. Virro at Markham Fertility Centre on October 1, 2009. Hysteroscopy/laproscopy performed on February 5, 2010. Post op appointment on March 8, 2010. Found out one small spot of endo removed from uterus and a very tiny septum resected.
Started BCP on March 31, 2010.
First IVF (first anything!) cycle after.
Last BCP April 20th.
Started stims: April 25 (Puregon - varied from 100iu to 42.5iu, Menopur - 75iu, and orgalutron)
ER date - May 5th.
14 retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized - 4 via IVF, 3 via ICSI
3 days past retrieval - 5 8-cell embryos (3 via IVF, 2 via ICSI), 2 lagging 6-cell embryos (1 via IVF, 1 via ICSI)
ET on May 10, 5day past retrieval - tranferred 1 "superb, could sell it on e-bay" embaby - grade 5AB0! 4 more "lovely" totsicles (2 5day, 2 6day). The ivf embies did better than the icsi embies.
Beta - May 21s: BFP! Beta was 507! Still early days, but we're happy to be pg!
Viability scan - June 11. Baby right on track, heartrate of 140bpm, measuring 7weeks 1day at just over 1cm long. HOWEVER, big cyst in my right ovary. Going back for another u/s in two weeks to monitor the cyst.
U/S to monitor cyst - June 24 - cyst shrank slightly. Baby still measuring on track, 9weeks 1day and just over 2cm long, heartrate of 167bpm
12week u/s - July 12 - cyst had shrank to 2cm. Baby looked like a baby! Moving around and flailing arms and legs. Just over 5.5cm long, heartrate of 160bpm. Nuchal scan and nasal bone both looked good. Doctor's appointment went well.
20 week ultrasound and doctors appointment - baby looks good - its a girl :) Test results from IPS test show a 1 in 20,000 risk of a chromosomal abnormality. Placenta is partially covering cervix, doctor will check again at 32 weeks.
26 week doctors appointment - GD test
30 week doctors appointment - got GD test results, I passed. Baby measuring on track, good strong heartbeat :)
32 week doctors appointment - u/s to check placenta position to see if it has been pulled up from my cervix and also to check baby's size

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#80 Jen-ttc

Jen-ttc
  • Cyclebase
  • 275 posts
  • Dx:Immunological
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Cntr - Dr. V.

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:37 AM

Thanks ladies for the congrats and wishes.

Lucky - yes, I agree about girls always staying in the family. That's how it's worked with my siblings and parents.

april - they ususally ask you to pay either when you go in for monitoring or on retrieval day.

Lacey - yay for AF finally showing! Perhaps this is better timing since you will not have to worry about bed rest on Thanksgiving. Eggies will be out and you will be free to enjoy the food and festivities. Can't believe I'm talking about Thanksgiving. Is it just me, or did Sept just fly by?

I think I read someone was in the clinic yesterday. I was also there, getting my monthly IVIG infusion. I was in teh waiting area with an IV for a few hours. Getting so I hate doing that and hoping tests will show I will no longer need treatment.

Good luck to all of you and I'll be lurking to see how ya'll are doing.

Jen
me (43) & DH (48)
Our darling daughter, Charlotte, born Jan 19, 2010
Furbaby: Lily the dog

Our loooooong journey to parenthood (I keep this to remind me of all the steps along the way and hope it helps others):
  • TTC #1 since 06/01 & charting since 03/02
  • Oct/02: Spontaneous ectopic pregnancy & right tube removed with emerg surgery
  • April 17/04: 1st IVF consult
  • June/04: IVF #1 - 21 retrieved, 2 grade A, 8-cell embryos transferred, 13 frozen: BFN
  • Aug 16/04: FET - 3 transferred & 8/18 - 1 transferred: BFN
  • Nov/04: IVF #2 - 11 retrieved, 9 fertilized, 4 transferred, none to freeze & another BFN
  • June/05: completed home study for China adoption, but put file on hold to pursue IVF at SIRM Las Vegas. In hindsight, not our best decision.
  • Aug/05: Immune testing results: Heterozygous MTHFR, borderline APAs, high ATAs & TSH.
  • Sept/05: IVF #3 at SIRM: worst cycle ever! 7 retrieved, 6 fertilized, none to transfer due to embies arresting by day 3
  • Oct/05: Moving forward with adoption from China.
  • April/06: Adoption file sent for gov't approval
  • July/06: gov't approval for adoption
  • Aug 15/06: DTC! We're Group 273! :)
  • Sept 13/06: LID!! Waiting for our China referral which we now expect in 2012 or later. Meanwhile.....
  • Jan 25/07 & Mar 16/07: Consult at MFC with Dr. V.
  • May 23/07: Lap surgery - remaining tube drained & clipped.
  • Started Natural IVF at MFC in Aug/07 & completed 6 cycles with good embryos but all BFN. 6th NIVF in July, 2008 - transferred 8-cell embryo with IVIG: BFN
  • Oct/08: IVF with injections. 7 eggs, 6 fertilized. IVIG infusion on ER day. Two 5-day blasts transferred & 2 frozen. BFN
  • Nov/08: Additional testing thru Alan Beer Cntr for immune issues showed low LADS (blocking antibodies) & high cytokines, in addition to already known immune issues. LIT & Humira recommended treatment.
  • Feb 13/09: Surgery removed remaining tube & small uterine septum.
  • Mar & April/ 09: Two LIT treatments in Mexico. LADS increased from 4 to 71%! BTW, that's really good!
  • May - June /09 - IVF: ER May 25 - 10 eggs, 9 fertilized; IVIG; transferred 2 5-day blasts & 4 to freeze.
  • Beta test: June 11th>>> Finally a BFP at 518!!!!
  • July 2nd - 1st ultrasound: 2 heartbeats, but only one measuring strong and at expected size.
  • Jul 16th - 2nd u/s: 1 strong heartbeat & our little bean did a dance for us.
  • Aug 5th: 3rd u/s & OB consult - our little bean is looking more like a baby and everything is on target.
  • Sept 23: 18 week check-up (in my 19th week) - We're expecting a baby girl and everything is looking perfect!!
  • EDD: Feb 17/10
  • Our beautiful baby girl arrived early on Tues, Jan 19, 2010.
  • April/10: Withdrew adoption file for China adoption due to extending wait times.
  • Dec /11: Follow-up AEB testing completed. Feb /12: AEB test results: super high cytokines, high TSH, high NKs and borderline MTHFR. Recommended treatment is increase thyroid meds, IVIG, Humira, lovenox, BA and extra folic acid.
  • 2 doses Humira 2 wks apart (June 14 & June 28)
  • Natural FET: Aug 22: CD1. Aug 29th: monitoring starts. Sept 7: IVIG; Sept 8th: transfer 2 frozen blasts. Sept 20th - 1st beta: 66. Sept 24th - repeat beta: 174. Sept 26th - 3rd beta: 284. Sept 28th - 4th beta 457: Oct 1st - 5th beta: 716. Not doubling as expected with a normal pregnancy. Oct 3rd- beta: 1033; u/s to confirm location/ viability: a 6 wk gestational sac in the right place with a flicker of a heartbeat. Oct 9: u/s showed bean with heart rate of 122 and right size. Oct 19th - u/s: We are so sad that there is no heartbeat and embryo stopped growing. :(

#81 lacey

lacey
  • Global 100+
  • 490 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:37 AM

TTC#1- I hope you are going to be done the IVIg soon, sounds like such a hassle to still be doing it!

I survived my first morning! I got there about 6:40, was second in line and met 2 really nice women who helped me with all the sign in sheets! lol

The blood lady was 15 min lates though! I was out by 7:35 after blood, u/s and payment. So not bad. $7.50 for parking though! OUch. DH will take me the rest of the week since it's just blood work so he will still get to work on time and Sat/Sun, he can get his butt out of bed to drive me!

The other girl told me that the drugs there are great for ER and she felt nothing. I hope it's the same for me!!!
Unexplained, 31, DH 37
TTC for 5 years
IUI 1,2,3,4- BFN
IUI 6,7- BFN
Sept 08- new clinic
Beta Mar 10- 807

#82 Luckypenny

Luckypenny
  • Cyclebase
  • 1837 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:45 AM

I should preface this by saying, I am not looking for any feedback (unless you feel so inclined!). Just felt like writing, as I wait for my first consult tomorrow. I'm not venting, just rambling. I really like our "group" and like being in touch with you ladies.

So, the other night DH and I were talking and I said excitedly something to the effect that our appointment was only a few more days away. His reply was something to the effect of "I think you are putting too much hope into this doctor, you're going to be devasted if it doesn't work out". I said "I think if it ends up we end up unable to have children, I will be devasted whether I am hopeful at this point or not". Just to clarify, yes I do think I will be devasted if we find out that we are unable to have children, but it is something that I could accept if we have exhausted all options. I know that if that is the case, it will take time to accept and come to terms with. I have a wonderful psychotherapist, and I know that I can turn to her, and others, in difficult times. I don't think being reserved about the process is going to make it hurt any less if it doesn't work. I guess DH is just trying to protect my feelings (and minimize the potential fallout for both of us). But I don't want to go around without any hopes and dreams. Also, I know everyone deals differently, and no one way is correct or better than another, as long as you are managing to cope. I know alot of women who are very cautious about being optimistic.
February 2008 - Test results - No problems with DH. Dr. suspected I had a PCOS variant and that I probably wasn't ovulating. Suggested superovulation (injectibles) with or without IUI
March 2008 - October 2009 - LOTS of alternative therapy. You name it, I tried it!
February 2009 - confirmed via cycle monitoring I was now ovulating and my ovaries both look fine. Officially unexplained IF. Hmmm, now what?
Next Steps: Had initial consult with Dr. Virro at Markham Fertility Centre on October 1, 2009. Hysteroscopy/laproscopy performed on February 5, 2010. Post op appointment on March 8, 2010. Found out one small spot of endo removed from uterus and a very tiny septum resected.
Last BCP April 20th.
Started stims: April 25 (Puregon - varied from 100iu to 42.5iu, Menopur - 75iu, and orgalutron)
ER date - May 5th.
3 days past retrieval - 5 8-cell embryos (3 via IVF, 2 via ICSI), 2 lagging 6-cell embryos (1 via IVF, 1 via ICSI)
ET on May 10, 5day past retrieval - tranferred 1 "superb, could sell it on e-bay" embaby - grade 5AB0! 4 more "lovely" totsicles (2 5day, 2 6day). The ivf embies did better than the icsi embies.
Viability scan - June 11. Baby right on track, heartrate of 140bpm, measuring 7weeks 1day at just over 1cm long. HOWEVER, big cyst in my right ovary. Going back for another u/s in two weeks to monitor the cyst.
U/S to monitor cyst - June 24 - cyst shrank slightly. Baby still measuring on track, 9weeks 1day and just over 2cm long, heartrate of 167bpm
12week u/s - July 12 - cyst had shrank to 2cm. Baby looked like a baby! Moving around and flailing arms and legs. Just over 5.5cm long, heartrate of 160bpm. Nuchal scan and nasal bone both looked good. Doctor's appointment went well.
20 week ultrasound and doctors appointment - baby looks good - its a girl :) Test results from IPS test show a 1 in 20,000 risk of a chromosomal abnormality. Placenta is partially covering cervix, doctor will check again at 32 weeks.
30 week doctors appointment - got GD test results, I passed. Baby measuring on track, good strong heartbeat :)
32 week doctors appointment - u/s to check placenta position to see if it has been pulled up from my cervix and also to check baby's size

#83 Lisa1995

Lisa1995
  • 1000+
  • 1417 posts
  • My Clinic:was Lifequest, now Markham

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:56 PM

Lacey, so glad that AF finally arrived and you have started. Did you get the go ahead to start the stims? :th_acheerlead:

Luckypenny, I hope your consult went well and you enjoyed the Dead Sea Scrolls (I saw them too a couple months ago). In regards to your post, I think that sometimes DHs and us have very different coping mechanisms, and like you said, different personalities sometimes cope differently too whether male or female. DH may just be feeling nervous for both of you. I think your response to DH was right on target. It is true that you will be devastasted whether you are hopeful or not and being hopeful may even help you cope with the stress (I need to remind myself of that). The most important thing I have found in all this is to keep the lines of communication open with DH. I know my DH says the hardest part for him in all of this is seeing my heart break and not being able to do anything to fix it. He often feels helpless and does not know what to do when I am upset or stressed out. I often have to get specific, saying I know you can't do anything about it, all I want is sympathy and a big hug right now etc. That seems to work for the most part.

Lisa

TTC #1: starting in Feb 2005 "unexplained" (immune issues, elevated NK cells, 2 heterozygous MTHFR and 2 heterozygous thrombophilias - Factor XIII and PAI-1 mutations)
me-42, DH-42, married since 1995!
Tried: Naturopath, Chinese herbs, Acupuncture, Homeopathy
4 un-medicated IUI's BFN
IVF # 1 18 eggs retrieved, 16 mature, 8 out of 16 fertilized (1/2 ICSI, half IVF), 5 made it to day 5 blast, transferred two, froze 3
first ever BFP m/c
FET #1 medicated, transferred two, started spotting 2 days later, full blown AF 5 days later (decided I don't react well to Estrace, will do natural frozen next time) BFN
FET #2 natural (but still with progesterone (crinone) support, transferred last blast from IVF #1 BFN
IVF #2 16 eggs retrieved, decided not to do ICSI this time since cycle #1 showed eggs could fertilize on their own, only 3 fertilized! None made it to blast for transfer no transfer! Disaster!
IVF #3 decided to add some repronex to the stims and do all ICSI. 18 eggs, 17 mature and 15 fertilized, 8 made it to day 5 blast. Transferred two blasts, froze 6 BFN
FET#3 added 3 HCG booster shots and doubled up on the crinone to prevent me from spotting early (as I often do), transferred 2 blasts, no spotting but a BFN anyway
FET #4- added ovidral just before my natural ovulation so they could pin point it more accurately with the 36 hour window, HCG shots again, plus double crinone BFN
January 2009 Consult with new RE in Markham - he finds a small septum, resected April 29, 09 - tells me to now try my last two frozen blasts
FET #5 - ET scheduled for June 15 (natural cycle with trigger, HCG booster and crinone) - BFN
On to Plan B- Switch clinic to Markham for
#4 Fresh IVF with IVIg, exploring immune testing - start BCP Sept 20. ER around week of Oct. 25
9 eggs retrieved, 1 immature, 1 fractured. 7 to work with. 4 out of 7 fertilized (Day 3: 1 8 cell grade 1, 2 8 cell grade 2 and 1 morula). Day 5 transferred 1 great blast and 1 morula (1 morula and 1 10 cell did not make it to freezing).
Beta Nov. 11 - BFP! (550) I am in shock!
Issues with spotting, Nov 20, second beta 11,000 and early ultrasound: saw gestational sac and yolk sac in the right place but concern about a cyst or possible ectopic near my ovary as well, 4 more ultrasounds over a 10 day period, last ultrasound on Dec. 2 'cyst' has not grown and baby measuring on target at 7wks, 1day with a heart beat of 153bpm.
Now taking Lovenox due to 2 heterozygous thrombophilias
Ultrasound on Dec. 18 (9 weeks, 5 days) baby on track, hb 167
Ultrasound on Dec. 22 due to extra heavy spotting, baby still measuring on track, hb 167 and dancing
Ultrasound on Jan. 8 (12 weeks, 5 days) baby on track, hb 160, baby doing crunches!
18 week anatomy scan scheduled for Feb. 16 - they lost my blood work for the second part of the IPS so no results for that today (they took blood again) but the 18 week scan went great, baby looked awesome and even gave us a little wave in between sucking her thumb and inspecting her toes. Yes, I said "her" - it's a little girl!
20 week ultrasound at Mt. Sinai and they agree, so far so good.
IPS results are in and they are excellent!
EDD: July 19, 2010
Baby girl arrived at 39 weeks, 2 days! July 14, 2010 3:12 am, weighing 7 pounds even.
May 2013 - The IVF Journey continues...one last try to see if a sibling is in the cards...
Did LIT, IVIg, Lovenox and low dose aspirin. 5 eggs retrieved, 1 immature, 1 fractured, 3 to work with, 2 fertilized with ICSI.
June 5, day 3 transfer of 2 8 cell grade 2 embryos.BFN
April 2014, one very last try - natural IVF with intralipids this time, 2! dominant follicles, 2 mature eggs retrieved, both fertilize with ICSI, day 3 transfer scheduled for April 13, transferred 1 8-cell grade one and 1 6-cell grade one (also using Lovenox and low dose ASA) -BFN, we are really done, not sure if it is now my immune system, or old eggs now too.

#84 aprilbaby

aprilbaby
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:53 AM

I think DH's main concern is that we are not unhappy. They can't stand it. They seem to want us always to be happy go lucky. I remember my dh would get angry at me that I was upset that AF showed. I would think "WOW! I am the one in pain and now this is about him!" But I realized that he just can't handle it when I am sad. He is just trying to protect you in his own sweet but man way LOL. I think Hope is the best thing for all humans. Without it we could not live. Plus, you should have hope!!! Your situation is not hopeless in anyway!

Hoping all went well with your appt. Let us know ASAP!

Lacey! Crossing my fingers for you!

I am on CD1!They said they have to see if they have space for me. IS that normal??? I am waiting fot their call.

#85 Luckypenny

Luckypenny
  • Cyclebase
  • 1837 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:19 PM

Hi Ladies! Last night I was on here and wrote all about our appointment and just as I was almost finished I lost it all. Grrrr, so irritating. I hate when that happens. I was so tired, I decided to just go to bed.

Aprilbaby - I hope they fit you in this cycle!

Our appointment with the Silver Fox went well (haha, yes, he is as good looking as everyone says!). I really liked him. I was a bit nervous at the beginning of the appointment (for whatever reason I am always nervous when I go to a new Dr. I was nervous before every appointment at LifeQuest, even though I liked our doctor there.), but as soon as we started talking I relaxed and I was completely at ease by the time we left.

I'll give you my LONG update (haha!). I don't journal and I think sometimes writing everything down in here is therapeutic for me. Hopefully someone is entertained by my ramblings!

After taking our history Dr. V asked us what we wanted to do and I said "we want to have a baby". He said that he was really perplexed by our case. He said that maybe he was reading me wrong, but I seemed like I was someone who was really on-top of things and he couldn't figure out why we haven't done any treatment in three years of trying. I said that after a year we did go for testing, and our Dr. wanted to transfer our case to Barrie because of where we live. I said I looked into it and wasn't comfortable with that option. DH mentioned that I wasn't comfortable with the meds, and Dr. Virro said yes, I read something in here about herbs, and some other stuff (I had sent him a transmittal along with all of our previous test results). I said basically I wasn't emtionally ready at the time for the appointments, medications and procedures. Dr. V then said basically its okay, you don't have to explain, its just surprising. He told us that after 3 years of trying the likelihood that we will get pregnant naturally is very low, about 0.5%. He said on paper we look great and that we are basically unexplained. He said that there must be something, but it just hasn't been discovered yet. He said that our best option for treatment is IVF. He said that our chances for success would be about 60%. I asked how our test results looked and he said Jim's tests were fine. He said for DNA fragmentation they fell in the excellent category. He then flipped to a picture of my uterus and said that this concerned him. My uterus has a dip across the top, but towards the left side it tapers in towards my tube. He said that he is concerned that there may be a septum there. I asked him if this is something that happened when I was in utero, and my uterus was forming and after the two ducts became one the septate cells should have been absorbed by my body but they weren't fully. He laughed and said "that is what I mean. You understand what is going on, but in three years you haven't done anything. You are the first patient that I have had come in here that knew that before I told them". I said when we first went to LifeQuest and we got our test results it was like our Dr. was speaking another language. I had no idea what he was talking about. I said I wasn't comfortable handing my care over to someone when I had no idea what they were talking about. He said for some people he would say they really needed to do a hysteroscopy, but in our case he is really on the fence. He said it is an option, and if we did the hysteroscopy, he could do a laproscopy to check for endometriosis when I am under already. He said that even if there is a bit of endo., he doesn't think it is causing problems, but it is always good to know. He said that we could start with less invasive procedures like clomid with cycle monitoring, or IUI with injectibles. He said he wanted us to know that he doesn't like to do more than 3 cycles of these less invasive treatments. I said that I didn't want to do clomid, that during our monitored cycle (unmedicated) I did ovulate (with a good sized follicle - 20mm prior to complete collapse), and we still didn't get pregnant, so I really don't think it is problem that clomid will fix. He said that in our case IVF would be a good diagnostic tool. He said he would get a chance to see egg quality. He said that while DH may look good on paper, there may be a fertilization problem. I asked if that could be a compatibility problem between me and DH, and he said it could be that DH is simply missing an enzyme to fertilize the egg. So, he said that the best option for us may be to decide if want to do the hysteroscopy/laproscopy and then move on to IVF or try an IVF and if it isn't successful we could then do the hysteroscopy/laproscopy. I asked which way he would recommend and he said that he really is on the fence. I asked if we could start with IVF but schedule the surgery, and if the IVF works just cancel the surgery. He said they are so busy that he can't do that. He told me that either way to start BCP on day one of my next cylce. He said if we are planning on starting with IVF to talk to Cathy the nurse co-ordinator before starting the pill. He said if we are going to do the surgery I will need more BCP and that he could call it in for me. He took our pictures for our file and sent us away with BCP, consent forms and literature about IVF.

So, my initial thought was I really want to get started and I wanted to start with IVF (this was the "I really want a baby already" part of my brain). DH felt that Dr. V really did want to do the surgery. I said "he didn't say that. He said he was on the fence". But DH pointed out that Dr. V did say he was concerned about my uterus and he always mentioned the surgery first. DH also said if we do IVF first and it fails the surgery will be even later. DH then said "why don't you relax and have a nice Christmas and do the surgery in the new year. If you do IVF and it fails you'll be really depressed for Christmas". And he's right. And I would spend the entire time between the IVF and the surgery stewing about whether the surgery will make a difference for the next IVF. And I will kick myself that I went ahead and spent the money on IVF even though we may not have done everything we could to ensure success. So I called Kathy this morning and left a message that I want to schedule the hysteroscopy and laproscopy.

So, I am a bit surprised that we will move directly to IVF without doing anything else (no clomid, IUI, etc.). But I do agree that for us (and for me) this is probably the best approach. I really don't think the clomid route would be effective (I have read that for unexplained the success rate is something like 2%). I also think for me a few failed cycles before we start IVF wouldn't be great emotionally. I know that I am the type of person that would start to get disillusioned and lose hope. We would start the most promising procedures with me in the worst state of mind. I also like that it will minimize the amount of meds I have to take. Even though IVF involves the most amount of medication, cylces of clomid and injectibles have a low success rate for unexplained, and yet I would be taking meds for three cycles prior to even starting IVF.

So, I am going to schedule the surgery and then enjoy life until it gets here. I am going to do things that I have avoided while we were ttc. I am going to step up my exercise routine for the next 3 or 4 months. I have gotten that I am basically just doing 5km walks every day. I always worry that strenuous exercise may effect our chances (really I worry EVERYTHING will!). I have some painting to do in our house. Yes, I will still use the least toxic paint available and make sure it is well ventilated. I am going to do fun things with the girl I am matched with through Big Sisters that I would be uncomfortable doing if we were cycling, or even just in the last half of my cycle if we were ttc, like going to a wall climbing gym and tubing at Blue Mountain and tobogganing.

I will be watching this thread and praying that we all graduate from here! I can't to see some BFPs!
Last BCP April 20th.
ER date - May 5th.

#86 lacey

lacey
  • Global 100+
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:12 PM

Sounds like you had a great appt LP!
About the surgery... I was in your boat this time last year. Only difference was he said he wouldn't touch me without doing the hysteroscopy. I went on the pill in Oct, surgery in Feb, ready to cycle by April. I really enjoyed those months off, not worrying and especially not being stressed at Christmas!
We agreed to do the surgery because why not? It was free and if that made Dr. V more comfortable with treating me and our first IVF with him didn't work, at least we could add to our list that my uterus was in good shape and not a factor.

As for me, I started stims on Tues but am having E2 issues. It's jumping too high, too fast. They had me start with 75 puregon, then 37.5 purgeon then yesterday no puregon at all because it had gone from 491-1069 over night. thankfully today was 1190 so I am doing 50 puregon tonight and tomorrow is the first u/s since stims started.

I have to say, blood work everyday is really taxing both on my sleep and my arms! Ouch.
Unexplained, 31, DH 37
TTC for 5 years
IUI 1,2,3,4- BFN
IUI 6,7- BFN
Sept 08- new clinic
Beta Mar 10- 807

#87 Luckypenny

Luckypenny
  • Cyclebase
  • 1837 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 03:38 PM

Lacey – sounds like they are really on top of your numbers. All of the monitoring does sound wearing, but it also sounds like it is really paying off and your numbers are under control. I hope this is THE cycle for you!

I think I will have lots of questions for you since you have already done the hysteroscopy and laproscopy. So, ones that come to mind:
How long after you call the clinic to book the surgery did they call you back with a date? (I called the clinic today, but I wasn’t sure who to talk to about booking the surgery. I called Cathy – I guess he mentioned her because if I was going to book an IVF I was to call her on the first day of my next cycle. She called back and said to call Tina and she would pass the message on to Helen. It was already after 2:30, so I will call Tina on Monday).
Did you have a follow-up appointment with Dr. V after the surgery to discuss next steps moving forward?
Did you book a follow-up appointment when you booked the surgery?
How did you know when you could do your next IVF cycle?
I noticed that you did estrogen therapy after the hysteroscopy/laproscopy. Did you start as soon as the surgery was done? Did you get the instructions/prescription/meds for the estrogen therapy at the hospital after the surgery? Or before the surgery?

Thanks!
Last BCP April 20th.
ER date - May 5th.

#88 lacey

lacey
  • Global 100+
  • 490 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 09:44 AM

Hopefully I answer everything, if not, ask me again! lol
How long after you call the clinic to book the surgery did they call you back with a date?
I looked at info.Our appt was Oct 28th/08. When we left the appt we were confirmed to do the surgery and I was told I would be contacted with a date in a while. I believe it was early December that I was givin the date of Feb 13th.

Did you have a follow-up appointment with Dr. V after the surgery to discuss next steps moving forward?
My follow up appt was end of March, he said things were fine and as soon as I was done the estrogen,I could go do the frozen cycle at Mt. Sinai. If it worked, I could cometo him as my OB, if it didn't work, we agreed I would go to him for an IVF.

I got my follow up appt at my pre-op appt which was about a week before surgery.

At my follow up appt he advised to do the FET when done the estrogen then we could do IVF whenever I wanted. I had an appt in May after the FET and we confirmed I would do IVF when I was ready, I just had to call in my day 1 whenever I wanted.

I noticed that you did estrogen therapy after the hysteroscopy/laproscopy. Did you start as soon as the surgery was done? Did you get the instructions/prescription/meds for the estrogen therapy at the hospital after the surgery? Or before the surgery?
I was on the pill from Oct to the night before surgery.Then after surgery was given the perscription for estrogen and started it that night. It lasted 2 months. There were also antibiotics to take and Provera to induce a period. All the drugs and the schedule for taking them I had to follow was given to me by the nurse at the hospital.
Unexplained, 31, DH 37
TTC for 5 years
IUI 1,2,3,4- BFN
IUI 6,7- BFN
Sept 08- new clinic
Beta Mar 10- 807

#89 babydust1

babydust1
  • 1000+
  • 1490 posts

Posted 03 October 2009 - 12:32 PM

Hi all!

Well, I'm a newbie here...not a newbie to IF, but to this site. I just finished reading the 4 pages of posts from you Markham girls and thought I'd say hi. I'm also a Markham girl - and sooo thankful for that...specifically grateful to be in Dr. Virro's care. Don't have the time right now, but will come on later today or tomorrow to give you some history about me. I've been using other forums, and I can honestly say that the support you can get from online 'friends' is amazing. I look forward to getting to know all of you and hope our journeys will all end soon...just the way we deserve them to...with a bfp.

Babydust1

#90 Luckypenny

Luckypenny
  • Cyclebase
  • 1837 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:37 AM

Welcome babydust. I agree that on-line forums are great and I have found this one to be especially helpful and supportive. It has decreased my anxiety and stress SO much that the ladies in this forum can answer all of my questions. I am looking forward to all of us graduating from here, and I am grateful for the advice, support and answers in the meantime.

Lacey - thank you SO much for your response. Your feedback is invaluable, and you have no idea how much you have decreased my stress levels. It really does help for me to know that you scheduled your surgery when you were in the clinic at your initial consult with Dr. Virro and were not given a date for the surgery until December. I would have been really anxious about that wait if I didn't know it is normal. Did they give you an appointment for your pre-op appointment when they gave you the date for the surgery (I am an endless pit of questions - lol)? I hope your cycle is going well!
Last BCP April 20th.
ER date - May 5th.

#91 babydust1

babydust1
  • 1000+
  • 1490 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:29 AM

Hi LuckyPenny,
I too had the surgery (the hysteroscopy and lap to correct a uterine septum) with Dr. Virro. Dr. V told me it was worth exploring the septum issue (even though my previous fs mentioned NOTHING about it AT ALL) because he would hate to put a nice embryo into a potentially crappy uterus. It was a good thing I went through with the surgery because the septum was especially big and taking up at least half of my uterus. Anyway, let me see what questions of yours I can answer...

How long after you call the clinic to book the surgery did they call you back with a date?
I have to say I was a bit persistent here...called a couple times to inquire about surgery dates...At first I got vague answers and I was told they'd get back to me when they knew...a few days later, I was told that another surgery day had become available for Dr. Virro, so I was booked for surgery surprisingly quicker than I originally anticipated.

Yes, I had an appt. with Dr. V nearly 2 months after the surgery. He read us the notes he'd taken about the surgery, what he discovered etc. We planned our next steps at that appt.

I actually booked the follow-up appt. the day of my surgery, once I arrived home!

All this was discussed with Dr. V. at the follow-up appt. As it turned out, I was almost immediately ready to start the IVF cycle (beginning with bcps).

Estrogen therapy started immediately after the surgery. And yes, the instructions and prescriptions were given to me at the hospital. It may seem a bit confusing at first (my prescriptions were for 2 dif. kinds of hormones, antibiotics and painkillers) but after reading it over and digesting the info, it became clear. My husband and I just had to stop at a drugstore to get the meds ourselves.

Hope this helps...Let us know when you know your surgery date!
babydust
p.s. my recovery was super easy and quick...almost pain free. Dr. V. did a great job! You're in good hands.

#92 babydust1

babydust1
  • 1000+
  • 1490 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:39 AM

Lacey, how was your u/s the other day? Is your E2 back under control? I know how stressful all this can be. I just finished my second IVF cycle a couple weeks ago and boy was it a disaster!! To make a long story short, I had nothing to transfer. I was devastated, obviously, and still am feeling extremely hopeless. Thank G-d for these forums, though.
I'm sure you will have better luck than I did...looking at your signature I can see that you make nice blasts! Any tips to share?!! I need ALL the help I can get.
Anyway, I know this will be a big week for you leading up to the ER, so I'll keep checking in for your updates.

Babydust

p.s. Has anyone ever attended the markham support group? I haven't, nor have I gone to any others, but I keep thinking it may be helpful...

#93 Luckypenny

Luckypenny
  • Cyclebase
  • 1837 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 02:26 PM

babydust - thank you for your input, it is much appreciated! Before seeing your post I was wondering whether it helps to be persistent about getting a date booked for surgery. I wasn't persistent about trying to get our initial consult moved up, but I have heard of other women how call on a regular basis and do manage to get in earlier. I was thinking of calling after a month to inquire whether they had information re. a surgery date if I hadn't heard anything, but given this information I may follow up after two weeks. Did you talk to Tina or Helen when you called to follow up? Did you book your pre-op consultation when you booked your surgery?

I am SO sorry to hear that your most recent IVF didn't go well. Since we got our initial diagnosis in Jan. 2008 I have made huge lifestyle changes and done tons of alternative therapy in hopes of optimizing our changes of success when we are ready to move forward with treatment. When I did the sonohysterogram in January 2008 my test results noted that my left ovary looked borderline for PCOS - lots of small cysts and the ovary was enlarged. This past January 2009 (after almost a year of various alternative therapy) I did cycle monitoring and I did ovulate on my own with a 20mm diameter follicle before full collapse on CD14. At my consult Dr. V. didn't mention anything about my ovaries. I asked if how they looked and he looked at my test results and said "good, perfectly normal". So I think all of the alternative therapy helped. I have read that the dominant follicle in a cycle is determined 5 months before, so what you do in the months leading up to a cycle does have an impact. Similarily, I read recently that sperm quality is also determined months before the sperm is actually released. This differs from what was previously thought.

I won't know for sure about my egg quality until we start an IVF cycle, but I can share the things I have done in hopes of maximizing my health and indirectly the health of my ovaries/eggs. To give you some hope I remember reading in the chapter on PCOS/POF in Randine Lewis' book "The Infertility Cure" that you CAN improve egg quality. So, know that you can make a difference (if you want inspiration and hope this is a great book. You may still need conventional treatment, but it may give you something to focus on while you try to improve egg health.). Actually when I read the book I was convinced that we could get pg. without ART. I know accept that I have done all I can with alternative therapy and it is time to move on to more conventional treatment. But I don't regret improving my health/state of mind. For you it may be worthwhile to take some time to work on improving you ovary/egg health before pursuing another cycle, but that is something only you can decide.

These are things I did to try to improve my health (after a few months of this I started to ovulate on my own, which I am sure I wasn't before that. This is a sign that my ovary/egg health has improved):

gave up coffee/tea - my TCM doctor/acupuncturist told me that NOONE with infertility should be drinking coffee. His opinion, but I do feel better. Randine Lewis also recommends giving up coffee/alcohol (I don't drink so this one was easy for me). I drink water/herbal tea/very occassionally V8 juice
improved diet - my diet was already pretty good, but I now have more raw/fewer cooked veggies. I gave up dairy (still have goat dairy occassionally). I have given up wheat and sugar (sometimes I fall off of the wagon with this one, but I try my best)
Wheat grass juice - I have read amazing stories of women with PCOS having great improvement with wheat grass juice. I think this indicates that it can help improve egg quality. It is another Randine Lewis recommendation. I didn't do very well with the wheat grass juice. I didn't mind the taste (some women can't stand it. It is available in capsule form), but I am pretty sure I was allergic to it. Often after I drank it my nose/throat would be really itchy afterwards and I would sneeze and sneeze. I now drink aloe vera juice instead (1/4 cup twice a day). I have read this has similar benefits to wheat grass juice.
Cod Liver Oil - 1 tbsp/day (doesn't taste great, but I try to swallow without tasting, have a chaser of water ready)
Co-enzyme Q-10 - 100mgx2/day - I have read lots of RE's recommend this and it is a recommendation from Randine Lewis' book
Pyncogenol - recommended in Randine Lewis book and I have read of some RE's that recommend it. I have also read that some REs recommend resversitol. I don't know much about it other than it is an antioxidant.
Flax Oil/Evening Primrose Oil - the flax FOR SURE is what helped me ovulate. I once took a cycle off, and my cycle went right back to what it was. Flax oil - 1000mgx2/day CD1-14 (or better until ovulation symptoms, like cervical mucous have passed and you think you have ovulated), evening primrose oil - 1000mgx2/day CD15-menses. If you don't menstruate - Flax oil - 1000mgx2/day new moon to full moon (yep, the actual moon), evening primrose oil - 1000mgx2/day full moon to new moon.
Vitamin B complex - 100mg slow release capsule 1x/day. Good for stress and good to build up your nervous system, which may be a bit weak right now after the stress of cycling
Prenatal - just good for overall health
Probiotics - just good for overall health. Might be a good idea after the antibiotics too. Also, its great for colon health. The colon is close to the reproductive organs so I am careful to try and look after mine!
I eat an avacodo a week. I have read this is good for ovaries, so I gag one down each week, but I hate it - yuck! My dog loves it and appears hoping for a bit whenever I eat one.

I have an appointment with my naturopathic doctor this week, so I will ask her what she recommends in terms of my supplements while I am on the birth control pill waiting for surgery. I think most I can keep up, but I need to make sure that none have any blood-thinning properties.

I also give my husband supplements. Even though he has no issues whatsoever, I figure can't hurt, might help. I found a list of supplements that are good for men on Dr. Hannam's blog, and I give my husband supplements based on this: Co-Q-10, Vitamin C, a really good men's multi and folic acid.

If you decide to try supplements, they can be quite expensive. The cheapest place I have found by far is called Qi Natural Foods. A friend told me about it and it is by far cheaper than anywhere else I have ever looked. There are a few locations around Toronto and it is worth the effort to get to one for supplements. A friend told me about it and I couldn't believe how much money I saved by going there. For me it is about an hour and a half drive, but I will make the treck and stock up 3 or 4 times a year from now on.

I think herbs can be good for improving egg health, but if you decide to try them give it at least 3 if not 5 months before doing another cycle. Also, you can't take herbs and stimulants at the same time, so you would have to stop herbs before starting to cycle.

I haven't been to the Markham Support Group (we live about 2 hours from the clinic), however I did find a wonderful psychotherapist that I really click with and I went to her for about 6 months last year. At that point I was basically finished the program that she most commonly uses. Most patients do the same program, but each person's experience is different. I would hightly recommend this to anyone. Counselling really helped me to get to a place emotionally that I could move forward with treatment. Part of my hesitation previous to this was that I really wasn't sure if I could emotionally handle the potential disappointment and stress that go with cycling. I still see my therapist on a regular basis, either for Reiki or for group workshops.

I hope some of this helps and I hope we can be here to support you. Thanks for your input and we are here if you need a shoulder to cry on, a friend to vent to or an ear to listen.
Last BCP April 20th.
ER date - May 5th.

#94 babydust1

babydust1
  • 1000+
  • 1490 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 05:58 PM

LuckyPenny,
Thanks so much for all that great information. I'm going to have to read through it carefully a couple times to truly digest it all! Without a doubt, you are doing everything you possibly can to optimize your health. You should be proud of yourself for being so proactive. While I haven't really explored much in the way of alternative therapies, I think I take care of myself and my body pretty well. I'm happy with my weight (exercise regularly), eat a well-balanced diet, drink VERY little to no caffeine and never drink alcohol. I'm sure there's always more I could be doing (i.e all those supplements you mentioned) but...
I'm starting my next cycle pretty soon....I expect af any day now and then I'm back on the bcps to start my protocol. Another stressful journey lies ahead but hopefully with a much better outcome! Dr. Virro is amazing - told me at my appt a week or so ago that he's not in any way giving up on me and that I'll just have to be strong as he keeps trying different approaches until we find something that works better given my situation.

As for your surgery questions...I probably talked to Kathy, Tina and Helen (I bugged everyone!) during that whole surgery planning ordeal! Also, after leaving my first appt with Dr. Virro, I'd already made a follow-up appt. to discuss b/w results and to find out if Dr. Virro thought I needed the surgery (we were waiting for my sono to be given to him from my previous fs). So, it was at this second appt. that we discussed pre-op. info. Once your date is scheduled, you will also have a phone 'interview' with a nurse from the hospital. I believe this happened approx. a week before the surgery, and basically the nurse asked some general medical questions and gave me specific instructions about prepping for the surgery, when to arrive at the hospital, where to go etc. I remember that she was a very lovely woman who put me at ease. Hope this helps!

Babydust

#95 lacey

lacey
  • Global 100+
  • 490 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:44 PM

LP- I got my pre-op appt about a week before surgery. Then at the appt I was given the time/date the nurse would call me for the hospital pre-op.

Babydust, sooooo sorry to hear your IVF went badly!! What happened, if you don't mind sharing? I have no idea how we were so lucky with the blasts but I really believe my body is working fine, except for rejecting pg's so I think it's immune related, even though nothing has shown up. What else can it be when clearly I have been pg before and we had great egg quality/fertilization etc?? So annoying. I hate being unexplained.

As for my cycle, so far so good. My E2 calmed down once they pulled me off puregon for a night. I am back on puregon 50 and the menopur and now the orgalutron. Today was day 7 and I had 5 follicles over 1cm and alot under. I would be happy to have 10 follicles by trigger if we could. I guess I won't be one of those who get 10-15 eggs because I have to be on such low doses of puregon, my body can't make that much on the low dose. I am fine with that as long as we have something to transfer!!! My arms are awful from the blood. I have bad veins and only 2 spots that work. So they are rough. I keep icing them and it's keeping the swelling and brusing down. I brought ice in the car this morning to ice my arm on the way home. Seemed to help! I hope I can trigger Wed
Unexplained, 31, DH 37
TTC for 5 years
IUI 1,2,3,4- BFN
IUI 6,7- BFN
Sept 08- new clinic
Beta Mar 10- 807

#96 babydust1

babydust1
  • 1000+
  • 1490 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 02:23 PM

Lacey - sounds like your cycle is going well...and Wednesday is fast approaching for your tentative HCG! How's your emotional state of mind? (IF in general is crazy and stressful, and this particular stage of the IVF protocol is no party, so I'm just hoping you're managing!). Being through two cycles of IVF, I know the emotions involved in all this!
I completely agree with what you said - you'd rather have fewer good quality eggs than more lousy ones. Quality over quantity for sure. My story...well, after two fertilization reports, it's clear that among my other problems (I'm annovulatory, and I had the septum fixed) my most major problem is my VERY poor egg quality. The hope now is that Dr. Virro can work his magic, find a protocol that helps me to get that one very special, healthy, strong embryo. As much as I'd greedily like to say that I am aiming for lots of quality eggs/embryos, I have to be realistic and face facts that I will never produce lots...I'm going to have to hold on to that saying about "it only takes one", right?! I'm finding it hard to be optimistic these days and to focus on anything besides all this. My mind, life, relationships etc. are very consummed by ttc. I have a feeling anyone on this site can relate!! (thank goodness, because so few other people can!)

So you suspect your probs are immune related? (I can see you have been pregnant, and that you produce good eggs/blasts) ... What can be done to address this? Has Dr. Virro suggested IVIG treatments?

Keep us posted with the final few days of stimming and cycle monitoring...Keep up the good icing on your arms!
Babydust

#97 Luckypenny

Luckypenny
  • Cyclebase
  • 1837 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:55 PM

babydust - I really hope that I didn't offend you with my post. I didn't mean to imply that I thought that you needed to improve your health. I know we all hear enough uneducated and uninformed opinions from people not struggling with IF and we don't need to hear it here. I think that part of what I shared I did because I have spent so much time and money on alternative therapies (some which helped, some which didn't and some that backfired altogether!) that I feel like if what I learned from it can help anyone else, that would be great. But I didn't mean to come off as pushy and definitely don't want to be hurtful. (((BIG HUG)))
And you are right. It only takes one good egg/embryo. And I have seen on this forum that sometimes embryos that don't look perfect end in a BFP and a postive outcome. Dr.Virro is great, and if he still has hope there is no reason for you not to. I think we can all relate to having days when it seems like we are too worn out from this journey to continue to have hope, and it is nice that Dr. Virro can give you reason to continue to hope. That was one thing that I had trouble getting past with the RE we were seeing at LifeQuest. He was what I guess you would call a "realist". Never was too positive. I had trouble imagining moving forward with treatment with someone who I knew would be overly positive, even if he was a great doc.

Lacey - that's great that this cycle is going well. Sorry to hear that the bloodwork is doing such a number on your arm. The day I had the bloodwork done in Markham for our preliminary tests the woman who took my blood did a number on my arm. I have done given lots of blood samples, and I don't remember ever having such a bad blood sample experience. My arm had a huge welt - I was shocked! I am kinda hoping to not run into her again, but I think it is inevitable that I will eventually.
Last BCP April 20th.
ER date - May 5th.

#98 lacey

lacey
  • Global 100+
  • 490 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:57 AM

Babydust- sorry to hear the quality of eggs wasn't the greatest. I hope he can work his magic to address that!!

Dr V told me if this IVF doesn't work, he will diagnos with with Failure to Implant and then we can try IVIg next cycle. He was adamant that I do one cycle fresh with him, on the drugs of his choice before we do IVIg. Even though we have done IVF and an FET, he really wanted one cycle at his clinic before we look at possible immune issues. He said if I do have something, he can't detect it but because of the failure to implant and the m/c's, with good quality embryos that were apparent with IVF, then maybe my body is rejecting embryo's and pregnancy. So we will see. I hope we have something to freeze this cycle and we can do an FET with IVIg next time.

It's looking like Friday is ER day. I have 7 follicles on my left side but two are over 2.2 so likely I am going to lose them if we trigger tomorrow but the other 5 will catch up hopefully. So it's not going to be a great cycle for getting 8-10 eggs like I wanted but hopefully 5 or 6. Dr. V is away this week and Dr. P will be doing the ER. Today some girls told me the nurses said Dr. P is really good at aspirating the follicles and is very thorough in trying to get the eggs out, more patient than Dr. V so the nurses told one of the girls Dr. P is better when you have few follicles so we will see!!! I am looking forward to getting into the 2WW.............
Unexplained, 31, DH 37
TTC for 5 years
IUI 1,2,3,4- BFN
IUI 6,7- BFN
Sept 08- new clinic
Beta Mar 10- 807

#99 lacey

lacey
  • Global 100+
  • 490 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:30 PM

We have decided to cancel the cycle. 2 follicles have taken off, with leaving the potential of only 4 follicles, which are not guaranteed obviously to have eggs. So we were given the option of going through with it or cancelling. For 8k and only 4 follicles, I am not going through with it.
We were told they won't convert to IUI and we aren't supposed to have sex but I think we will. With my luck, I wouldn't even get pg with one. I am so pissed. I thought things would be so much better with Dr. V and I am left so upset after 8 days of blood work, travelling and 3 needles a day.

And the earliest appt is not until Nov 16. I hate being me.
Unexplained, 31, DH 37
TTC for 5 years
IUI 1,2,3,4- BFN
IUI 6,7- BFN
Sept 08- new clinic
Beta Mar 10- 807

#100 Lisa1995

Lisa1995
  • 1000+
  • 1417 posts
  • My Clinic:was Lifequest, now Markham

Posted 06 October 2009 - 01:53 PM

(((Lacey))), I am so sorry to hear this happened with your cycle. That is really brutal, I know after all the emotional and physical prepping what a let down this must be. :th_aggahhh: Adding to the frustration is Dr Vs popularity (I too have found it shocking and a strain to see how long we have to wait between appts there sometimes). It sounds like you are doing the right thing by cancelling and trying again. I guess that is part of the risk when you try a new protocol, you never know how you will react. I am also really curious about what changes he would recommend for your next try. I have been feeling a little nervous myself about the new protocol (since I am doing the same one as you) and hoping that I react well to it.

Again, I am so sorry this happened.

Lisa

TTC #1: starting in Feb 2005 "unexplained" (immune issues, elevated NK cells, 2 heterozygous MTHFR and 2 heterozygous thrombophilias - Factor XIII and PAI-1 mutations)
me-42, DH-42, married since 1995!
Tried: Naturopath, Chinese herbs, Acupuncture, Homeopathy
4 un-medicated IUI's BFN
IVF # 1 18 eggs retrieved, 16 mature, 8 out of 16 fertilized (1/2 ICSI, half IVF), 5 made it to day 5 blast, transferred two, froze 3
first ever BFP m/c
FET #1 medicated, transferred two, started spotting 2 days later, full blown AF 5 days later (decided I don't react well to Estrace, will do natural frozen next time) BFN
FET #2 natural (but still with progesterone (crinone) support, transferred last blast from IVF #1 BFN
IVF #2 16 eggs retrieved, decided not to do ICSI this time since cycle #1 showed eggs could fertilize on their own, only 3 fertilized! None made it to blast for transfer no transfer! Disaster!
IVF #3 decided to add some repronex to the stims and do all ICSI. 18 eggs, 17 mature and 15 fertilized, 8 made it to day 5 blast. Transferred two blasts, froze 6 BFN
FET#3 added 3 HCG booster shots and doubled up on the crinone to prevent me from spotting early (as I often do), transferred 2 blasts, no spotting but a BFN anyway
FET #4- added ovidral just before my natural ovulation so they could pin point it more accurately with the 36 hour window, HCG shots again, plus double crinone BFN
January 2009 Consult with new RE in Markham - he finds a small septum, resected April 29, 09 - tells me to now try my last two frozen blasts
FET #5 - ET scheduled for June 15 (natural cycle with trigger, HCG booster and crinone) - BFN
On to Plan B- Switch clinic to Markham for
#4 Fresh IVF with IVIg, exploring immune testing - start BCP Sept 20. ER around week of Oct. 25
9 eggs retrieved, 1 immature, 1 fractured. 7 to work with. 4 out of 7 fertilized (Day 3: 1 8 cell grade 1, 2 8 cell grade 2 and 1 morula). Day 5 transferred 1 great blast and 1 morula (1 morula and 1 10 cell did not make it to freezing).
Beta Nov. 11 - BFP! (550) I am in shock!
Issues with spotting, Nov 20, second beta 11,000 and early ultrasound: saw gestational sac and yolk sac in the right place but concern about a cyst or possible ectopic near my ovary as well, 4 more ultrasounds over a 10 day period, last ultrasound on Dec. 2 'cyst' has not grown and baby measuring on target at 7wks, 1day with a heart beat of 153bpm.
Now taking Lovenox due to 2 heterozygous thrombophilias
Ultrasound on Dec. 18 (9 weeks, 5 days) baby on track, hb 167
Ultrasound on Dec. 22 due to extra heavy spotting, baby still measuring on track, hb 167 and dancing
Ultrasound on Jan. 8 (12 weeks, 5 days) baby on track, hb 160, baby doing crunches!
18 week anatomy scan scheduled for Feb. 16 - they lost my blood work for the second part of the IPS so no results for that today (they took blood again) but the 18 week scan went great, baby looked awesome and even gave us a little wave in between sucking her thumb and inspecting her toes. Yes, I said "her" - it's a little girl!
20 week ultrasound at Mt. Sinai and they agree, so far so good.
IPS results are in and they are excellent!
EDD: July 19, 2010
Baby girl arrived at 39 weeks, 2 days! July 14, 2010 3:12 am, weighing 7 pounds even.
May 2013 - The IVF Journey continues...one last try to see if a sibling is in the cards...
Did LIT, IVIg, Lovenox and low dose aspirin. 5 eggs retrieved, 1 immature, 1 fractured, 3 to work with, 2 fertilized with ICSI.
June 5, day 3 transfer of 2 8 cell grade 2 embryos.BFN
April 2014, one very last try - natural IVF with intralipids this time, 2! dominant follicles, 2 mature eggs retrieved, both fertilize with ICSI, day 3 transfer scheduled for April 13, transferred 1 8-cell grade one and 1 6-cell grade one (also using Lovenox and low dose ASA) -BFN, we are really done, not sure if it is now my immune system, or old eggs now too.