12945 replies to this topic

#26 Luckypenny

Luckypenny
  • Cyclebase
  • 1837 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Centre

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:22 PM

April - I love your adoption story, its amazing! And I love how you have followed your instincts through this process. I found that once I started to listen to my heart, I felt less frustrated. I love the "aprilbaby" story. I feel like it echos my feelings that whatever is meant to be will be. Sometimes it is difficult to accept our journey, but when we do, we can learn and grow so much. It doesn't mean that every day is going to be great, but we learn from the difficult experiences, as much as from the joyful ones.

Lisa, I felt exactly the same way about pursuing alternative treatments. Like there was just something subtly wrong, and if I could figure out what it was and fix it, we would get a natural BFP. Once we confirmed that I had started ovulating on my own, but still no pg I decided it was time to get back to a fertiltiy clinic. Since April I have continued with lots of alternatives, but more with the thought that improving my health will increase the likelihood of success when we start treatments. I have tried: acupuncture, some herbs, chiropractic (solved my life-long headaches and ended my love affair with advil), naturopathic medicine (my ND is absolutely wonderful, and after about 10 months asked me if I had a timeline in mind for going back to a fertility clinic. She believes in using alternative treatments wherever possible, and knowing when to pursue more aggressive treatment. She fully supports me doing whatever it takes to get pg. Her suggestions are also what got me ovulating on my own, and have done wonders for my nervous system), body talk (an eyebrow raiser!), hydrocolon therapy (Yeah, that's the cringer! It makes a transvaginal ultrasound look like a walk in the park! Honestly, I felt great after a series of 6. I had lots of impactions around my left ovary - the one that looked like it had PCOS, even though the other ovary looked fine, and near my uterus), and iridology (an eyebrow raiser, and why I ended up going for the colonics. The iridologist felt my colon was impacted around my ovary. I thought lots of fiber would solve it, but a year later a friend who is a nutritionalist and recently finished a course in iridology saw the same impacted spot). I also occassionally go for Reiki or a workshop with the counsellor I saw. She is wonderful, and has helped me to listen to my heart. My husband shakes his head at all of this, but on the other hand he does support it financially, and it has been really expensive.

Jen (ttc#1) thank you for all of your advice and support on this board. You are amazing and you truly do deserve your success! I am SO happy for you! Thanks for always supporting everyone else, giving advice, and sharing your experiences.

Trinity, thanks for starting this thread. It is awesome to learn from others who are further along in the process and to have a place to share and get support.

Big hugs and lots of baby dust!
Me: 35 DH:35
Dx: Unexplained
Started ttc September 2006
November 2007 - Initial consult at LifeQuest
January 2008 - Diagnostic testing.
February 2008 - Test results - No problems with DH. Dr. suspected I had a PCOS variant and that I probably wasn't ovulating. Suggested superovulation (injectibles) with or without IUI
Decided to forgo treatment for the time being and focus on improving my health.
March 2008 - October 2009 - LOTS of alternative therapy. You name it, I tried it!
February 2009 - confirmed via cycle monitoring I was now ovulating and my ovaries both look fine. Officially unexplained IF. Hmmm, now what?
Next Steps: Had initial consult with Dr. Virro at Markham Fertility Centre on October 1, 2009. Hysteroscopy/laproscopy performed on February 5, 2010. Post op appointment on March 8, 2010. Found out one small spot of endo removed from uterus and a very tiny septum resected.
Started BCP on March 31, 2010.
First IVF (first anything!) cycle after.
Last BCP April 20th.
Started stims: April 25 (Puregon - varied from 100iu to 42.5iu, Menopur - 75iu, and orgalutron)
ER date - May 5th.
14 retrieved, 11 mature, 7 fertilized - 4 via IVF, 3 via ICSI
3 days past retrieval - 5 8-cell embryos (3 via IVF, 2 via ICSI), 2 lagging 6-cell embryos (1 via IVF, 1 via ICSI)
ET on May 10, 5day past retrieval - tranferred 1 "superb, could sell it on e-bay" embaby - grade 5AB0! 4 more "lovely" totsicles (2 5day, 2 6day). The ivf embies did better than the icsi embies.
Beta - May 21s: BFP! Beta was 507! Still early days, but we're happy to be pg!
Viability scan - June 11. Baby right on track, heartrate of 140bpm, measuring 7weeks 1day at just over 1cm long. HOWEVER, big cyst in my right ovary. Going back for another u/s in two weeks to monitor the cyst.
U/S to monitor cyst - June 24 - cyst shrank slightly. Baby still measuring on track, 9weeks 1day and just over 2cm long, heartrate of 167bpm
12week u/s - July 12 - cyst had shrank to 2cm. Baby looked like a baby! Moving around and flailing arms and legs. Just over 5.5cm long, heartrate of 160bpm. Nuchal scan and nasal bone both looked good. Doctor's appointment went well.
20 week ultrasound and doctors appointment - baby looks good - its a girl :) Test results from IPS test show a 1 in 20,000 risk of a chromosomal abnormality. Placenta is partially covering cervix, doctor will check again at 32 weeks.
26 week doctors appointment - GD test
30 week doctors appointment - got GD test results, I passed. Baby measuring on track, good strong heartbeat :)
32 week doctors appointment - u/s to check placenta position to see if it has been pulled up from my cervix and also to check baby's size

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#27 aprilbaby

aprilbaby
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:43 PM

TTC #1.

That is quite a wait for China Adoption. We did not do international adoption though, we did public domestic adoption. In the end I totally believe that you are led to where your baby is so that is why I never push anyone towards adoption. I think someone either has THEIR baby coming through adoption or not. I just know that our son was our destiny from when the world was written. The timing for your China adoption might work our perfectly so that your little bean gets a sibling when he/she is around 2 or 3 years old! That's exciting!

Luckpenny,

WOW! You have done alot of alternative treatment. I also have done colonics LOL!! The things we talk about here! I have done many enemas also while on a detox!LOL!!

Lisa,

Dr. V is conservative when it comes to stimming and I think that is part of his success. My friend who has PCOS asked for natural ivf and he agreed although he said he didn't think it would work because she did not have regular periods but he still tried. SHe did not even ovulate that cycle though. SO he put her on very low dose because she did not want to freeze embryos. She ended up with 5 eggs and then 3 blasts. Got preg with twins but miscarried one and now has a beautiful 2 year old.

#28 aprilbaby

aprilbaby
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 02:22 AM

WOW! I guess you all heard! IVF funding for everyone and easier access to adoption. Do you think this will happen soon??!!

In June 2008, Premier Dalton McGuinty appointed an 11 member Expert
Panel to study and make recommendations on the needs of families in
Ontario related to Infertility and Adoption.

Today the Panel released their Report and Recommendations. The link
below will take you to the full report - Raising Expectations-
Recommendations of the Expert Panel on Infertility and Adoption -
summer 2009.

to read the report follow the link below:

http://cts.vresp.com...c9ff/bbe9e60155

#29 Kar

Kar
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:running
    scrapbooking (although i never have time)
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Markham

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:23 PM

Hi All

I am currently with V. I have done 2 rounds of IVf with meds. I am doing the NIVF now (2nd try). I read that some of you are interested in this option. I will keep you posted about how it works for me. My first NIVF stopped because i spontaneously O'd.

It is much easier finacially and physically. I thought it might be easier emotionally but not really....the questions, anticipation and frustration are all still there. DH and I are committed to doing 3 and then discussing finall steps either... 2 more of NIVF or possibly 1 final med IVF.

Virro's thinking is i didnt do so well on meds (not bad just not great) and with my history he is thinking if left a lone i might create on nice egg. I have MF so we will still ICSI the one. I am hoping to get that far this time.

Good luck ladies.
ME 34 DH 44
2002- TTC for 2yrs
2004-Son conceive the night DR recommeneded IVF
Trying for #2
DH count much lower
1st IVF BFP - ET 1 beauty- miscarried at 16w
DH count even lower

2nd IVF BFN -ET 2 average
DR recommends aspiration for 3rd IVF
Follow up with DR two options Natural rounds of icsi or last IVF

Decided to commit to 3-5 of natural IVF rounds
July 31st first day of Monitoring
Aug 3rd little folicle measures 1.3
Aug 4th little folicle measures 1.5 and I O sponantously
Natual IVF Missed Dr. orders a romp in the hay LOL
Waiting for next cycle

4th round (2nd natural IVF)
Aug 29th 1st day of monitoring
Sept 1 tigger but level may indicate ovulation already
Sept 3 ER U/S indicate O already happend
O'ing when follie is only 1.4 not good
Now what????

Oct 15th low stim cycle begins
7 eggs retrieved 3 fert.
transfered 2 8 cell grade 2's
2ww begins.
Preg. Test on Friday the 13th
NOv 13 BFN Our Journey has ended...

#30 aprilbaby

aprilbaby
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:24 AM

KAr,

Thank you for sharing!And I will be praying for a BFP for you!

I am so happy to see that Dr.V will do Nivf with male factor!!!! I REALLY want to try nivf and have wanted to try it for years but could not find a doctor willing to do it.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you respond to meds during you ivf. I too respond strangely to drugs.

How much are you paying for nivf and what is the process like?

I also agree that leaving our bodies to do its thing naturally can be a very good idea.

Thanks

Hi All

I am currently with V. I have done 2 rounds of IVf with meds. I am doing the NIVF now (2nd try). I read that some of you are interested in this option. I will keep you posted about how it works for me. My first NIVF stopped because i spontaneously O'd.

It is much easier finacially and physically. I thought it might be easier emotionally but not really....the questions, anticipation and frustration are all still there. DH and I are committed to doing 3 and then discussing finall steps either... 2 more of NIVF or possibly 1 final med IVF.

Virro's thinking is i didnt do so well on meds (not bad just not great) and with my history he is thinking if left a lone i might create on nice egg. I have MF so we will still ICSI the one. I am hoping to get that far this time.

Good luck ladies.

#31 Trinity28

Trinity28
  • Global 100+
  • 217 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:36 PM

Hi girls,

I love these forums. It's amazing to read other IF journeys. Our experiences are so different but yet emotions are so similar. It helps to know I'm not alone.

I can see why those with unexplained would want to seek alternative methods. I suppose that having a diagnosis of severe endometriosis is somewhat a 'closure'. I know what the problem is and realize there is very little chance that we can conceive naturally, as sad as that is. Even Dr V is adamant that we go straight to IVF as he feels that is our best chance.

I had my hysteroscopy yesterday. At my pre-op, Dr V said I had an ugly uterus!! He ended up removing a large septum and has put me on estrogen for 2 cycles. I know now that it totally changes my cycles so I should be on day 17 at my follow-up appointment on Oct 16th. Dr V said I could probably cycle in November!

Before doing the surgery, my DH and I were talking about how we felt IF was starting to "control" our lives, like we couldn't move forward. I felt like I couldn't apply for another job. I couldn't plan too far in advance. We were always.....waiting. So we decided to go on a cruise and booked our airfare for September, not knowing the results of the surgery. It was time for us to decide what we wanted to do.

Good luck ladies, wherever you are in your journey!
Me: 35
DH: 34

My signature was way too long so here's the short version.

DX: Endometriosis, 2 surgeries done and left tube removed
IVF #1, beautiful DD born August 22, 2010

One year after, we visited clinic again to try for #2. Needless to say, did not happen for us. After 12 IVFs, 3 FETs, Immune Testing and one miscarriage, I am finally done with ART.

Moving on....considering international adoption.

#32 Kar

Kar
  • 243 posts
  • Interests:running
    scrapbooking (although i never have time)
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 30 August 2009 - 02:14 PM

Aprilbaby-

With my first two IVF i was not great and not bad. It took a lot of meds to get only 7 follies to grow. The first round I made 1 amazing egg and the rest average, the second round all average to poor. I was so exhausted and bitchy all the time i was reaching my limit. The meds took a toll on me.

The NIVF cost around $1000-1500 (depending if you ICSI or not). Basically on CD10 i start monitoring (blood and US) and what they try to do is time my HSG shot. 25% of the time a women will O spontaneoously (that was my first NIVF). This is why V recommended we try 3-5 times becasue you might O or have no egg or it wont fertilze. Then just like the med. IVF they do ER and a 3day Transfer. Another advantage is that if the cycle is cancelled before ER you only pay for basic monitoring ($180). Emotionally its the same as medIVF, anticipation, frustration etc.

We are committed to 3 cycles before meeting with him again to decide if we continue with 2 more nivf or i full IVF. My timeline is Dec31-09. I will not be continuing my journey into 2010. For the same reasons you have mentiioned trinity28; i am tired of my life being on hold, new job, new house etc.

Kar
ME 34 DH 44
2002- TTC for 2yrs
2004-Son conceive the night DR recommeneded IVF
Trying for #2
DH count much lower
1st IVF BFP - ET 1 beauty- miscarried at 16w
DH count even lower

2nd IVF BFN -ET 2 average
DR recommends aspiration for 3rd IVF
Follow up with DR two options Natural rounds of icsi or last IVF

Decided to commit to 3-5 of natural IVF rounds
July 31st first day of Monitoring
Aug 3rd little folicle measures 1.3
Aug 4th little folicle measures 1.5 and I O sponantously
Natual IVF Missed Dr. orders a romp in the hay LOL
Waiting for next cycle

4th round (2nd natural IVF)
Aug 29th 1st day of monitoring
Sept 1 tigger but level may indicate ovulation already
Sept 3 ER U/S indicate O already happend
O'ing when follie is only 1.4 not good
Now what????

Oct 15th low stim cycle begins
7 eggs retrieved 3 fert.
transfered 2 8 cell grade 2's
2ww begins.
Preg. Test on Friday the 13th
NOv 13 BFN Our Journey has ended...

#33 aprilbaby

aprilbaby
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:40 PM

Lucky Penny,

DId you have your HSG today? How did it go?

#34 Luckypenny

Luckypenny
  • Cyclebase
  • 1837 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:23 PM

Hi girls. Aprilbaby, I did have my sonohystogram (SHG) yesterday. It was fine, just a bit uncomfortable (I don’t remember it being uncomfortable at all when I did it in January 2008. It was a really stormy day and the only thing that stands out in my mind is I had a stressful drive there and worried the entire time I was at the Ultrasound clinic about the drive home). When I went in yesterday Dr. Hartman (the same doctor that did my SHG when I was with LifeQuest) explained a bit about what he was going to do, and mentioned that I was seeing the “famous Dr. Virro”. I told him that I had had the test done previously. By this point he was looking at a folder on a desk and said “yes, that’s right. You had it done in Thornhill about a year and a half ago. Well, I’ve done about 10,000 since then!”. He asked who I had been with at that time and I told him Dr. Laskin. He said that they work with both and find lots of patients move from one to the other. He said that its really important that you find a doctor that is a good fit for you and if its not, the best thing is sometimes to just go to a new doctor. I said that when we were with Dr. Laskin we decided not to pursue treatment, and when we did decide to move on I really didn’t want to drive downtown by myself all the time and Dr. Virro has a great reputation. He then started the test. At first he seemed to be talking about what he was seeing. He mentioned pretty much right away “the left looks great, its gorgeous”. At this point I should have kept quiet and maybe he would have just kept talking, but I was really curious, so I said “oh my left ovary?”. He said “no, the left tube”. I said “oh, are you going to just look at the tubes, or are you going to look at other things as well?”. He said “we’re going to look at everything”. Then he didn’t say too much else. He got up and looked at the screen. Commented “the uterus looks good”. He didn’t mention that my uterus is arcuate, but even in my first report it said “mild arcuate” so maybe he personally doesn’t think it is a big deal. By that point yesterday I figured it would be best to not to ask too much else until he was done. That was pretty much all he said. He then started to walk out of the room and said “I will send my report to your doctor”. I said “oh. Does everything look the same as the last time” and he said “pretty much”. Then he did leave the room. At my first test he made hand-written notes as he went along, which he didn’t do this time, and it didn’t seem to take as long as the first time he did the test. Also the first time he did the test he told me that both tubes were open, this time after I asked a question he didn’t mention my right tube (although I can’t imagine how it would get blocked in the last year and a half, but I guess you never know). In all honesty when I left I was a bit disappointed – I was hoping for more feedback, and it left me feeling like “did he see something wrong?”. He didn’t mention anything about either of my ovaries (the last time I did the test his report said that my left ovary looked borderline for PCOS, although he didn’t mention it during the test). He didn’t mention if I had a dominant follicle in either of my ovaries (I have had lots of fertile CM yesterday and today). I guess four weeks isn’t long to wait (our appointment is four weeks from this Thursday), and whatever the test results are they will only help Dr. Virro to decide on a course of action. There is no point in worrying and speculating about what will happen for the next four weeks. Happily September will be a busy month for me with lots going on. After the test I was off work for the day so I went to visit a friend in Barrie and spent the day with her and we went out for dinner, and I had bounced back to a happy mood by the time I went home. That’s my whole update! Hope things are going well for everyone else.
February 2008 - Test results - No problems with DH. Dr. suspected I had a PCOS variant and that I probably wasn't ovulating. Suggested superovulation (injectibles) with or without IUI
March 2008 - October 2009 - LOTS of alternative therapy. You name it, I tried it!
February 2009 - confirmed via cycle monitoring I was now ovulating and my ovaries both look fine. Officially unexplained IF. Hmmm, now what?
Next Steps: Had initial consult with Dr. Virro at Markham Fertility Centre on October 1, 2009. Hysteroscopy/laproscopy performed on February 5, 2010. Post op appointment on March 8, 2010. Found out one small spot of endo removed from uterus and a very tiny septum resected.
Last BCP April 20th.
Started stims: April 25 (Puregon - varied from 100iu to 42.5iu, Menopur - 75iu, and orgalutron)
ER date - May 5th.
3 days past retrieval - 5 8-cell embryos (3 via IVF, 2 via ICSI), 2 lagging 6-cell embryos (1 via IVF, 1 via ICSI)
ET on May 10, 5day past retrieval - tranferred 1 "superb, could sell it on e-bay" embaby - grade 5AB0! 4 more "lovely" totsicles (2 5day, 2 6day). The ivf embies did better than the icsi embies.
Viability scan - June 11. Baby right on track, heartrate of 140bpm, measuring 7weeks 1day at just over 1cm long. HOWEVER, big cyst in my right ovary. Going back for another u/s in two weeks to monitor the cyst.
U/S to monitor cyst - June 24 - cyst shrank slightly. Baby still measuring on track, 9weeks 1day and just over 2cm long, heartrate of 167bpm
12week u/s - July 12 - cyst had shrank to 2cm. Baby looked like a baby! Moving around and flailing arms and legs. Just over 5.5cm long, heartrate of 160bpm. Nuchal scan and nasal bone both looked good. Doctor's appointment went well.
20 week ultrasound and doctors appointment - baby looks good - its a girl :) Test results from IPS test show a 1 in 20,000 risk of a chromosomal abnormality. Placenta is partially covering cervix, doctor will check again at 32 weeks.
30 week doctors appointment - got GD test results, I passed. Baby measuring on track, good strong heartbeat :)
32 week doctors appointment - u/s to check placenta position to see if it has been pulled up from my cervix and also to check baby's size

#35 lacey

lacey
  • Global 100+
  • 490 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 03:30 PM

Luckypenny...
In a hurry but when I did my sono, Dr. Hartman told me outright he can't discuss results cause his opinion and Dr.V's are a bit different so he just gives the facts to Dr. V who tells you his opinion. So I got no feedback either!
Good luck!
Unexplained, 31, DH 37
TTC for 5 years
M/C at 7.5 weeks May 2006
IUI 1,2,3,4- BFN
IUI 5 BFP, M/C at 9.5 weeks June 2007
IUI 6,7- BFN
IUI/IVF#1 conversion- 1 egg, no fertilization, no transfer
IVF #2- BCP, Suprefact, Puregon
-8 eggs, 6 blasts, transferred 2, froze 4- BFN
Sept 08- new clinic
Oct 08-Diagnosed with uterine septum
Feb 13/09- Hysteroscopy- large septum removed!
Feb-Apr- Estrogen therapy
FET #1- 2 blasts transferred, 0 left frozen- BFN
IVF #3- BCP, Orgalutron, Menopur, Puregon- cancelled
IVF#3-cancelled, converted to IUI #8- BFN
IVF#3, attempt #3 w IVIg Jan/Feb 2010, Depot Lupron, Puregon, Menopur
Feb 21- ER- 10 fertilized ivf/icsi
Feb 26- Transferred 2 perfect blasts, 4 frost babies
Beta Mar 10- 807
March 31- TWINS!!! Baby A- 145bpm Baby B 150bpm (7w3d)
Both babies are breech- c-section scheduled for 38w3days.....Can't wait to find out if they are girls or boys or one of each!
Nov-2010- Boy/Girl twins!!!!! Born perfectly healthy and over 6lbs each!
March- 2012- Surprise BFP!! 887 First u/s Mar 23 Oct 29/13 Repeat csection scheduled Oct 29/13- Baby boy! 8lbs 1oz- successful VBAC (unplanned!!)

#36 Luckypenny

Luckypenny
  • Cyclebase
  • 1837 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:09 PM

lacey, thanks so much for the response. It makes me feel a bit better to know that he generally doesn't discuss the results, just passes them on to the doc. I guess I was feeling that if everything looked good he would say, and that his not saying was an indication that something didn't look so hot. Then of course my runaway imagination took over and I started to wonder if there was now something wrong with my right tube since he didn't mention it.

How are things going with you?
Last BCP April 20th.
ER date - May 5th.

#37 Luckypenny

Luckypenny
  • Cyclebase
  • 1837 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:09 PM

lacey, thanks so much for the response. It makes me feel a bit better to know that he generally doesn't discuss the results, just passes them on to the doc. I guess I was feeling that if everything looked good he would say, and that his not saying was an indication that something didn't look so hot. Then of course my runaway imagination took over and I started to wonder if there was now something wrong with my right tube since he didn't mention it.

How are things going with you?
Last BCP April 20th.
ER date - May 5th.

#38 lacey

lacey
  • Global 100+
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 06:52 AM

Yes, don't worry!! See, it sounds like Dr. V is pickier than most docs, so he probably isn't allowed to say things look great cause Dr. V could see something teeny tiny and want it out. Also, not his place to comment since he isn't the physician making any decisions in your case. I am sure it was great!

I am doing ok. I called in my day 1 yesterday and started the BCP. They are calling me today with the details of my protocol......I hope they call early cause I am curious about it! Also to set up some appt to speak with someone about IVF (even though this is #3, it's my first time there so I guess I need to know how they do things).
Unexplained, 31, DH 37
TTC for 5 years
IUI 1,2,3,4- BFN
IUI 6,7- BFN
Sept 08- new clinic
Beta Mar 10- 807
Both babies are breech- c-section scheduled for 38w3days.....Can't wait to find out if they are girls or boys or one of each!
March- 2012- Surprise BFP!! 887 First u/s Mar 23 Oct 29/13 Repeat csection scheduled Oct 29/13- Baby boy! 8lbs 1oz- successful VBAC (unplanned!!)

#39 Lisa1995

Lisa1995
  • 1000+
  • 1417 posts
  • My Clinic:was Lifequest, now Markham

Posted 02 September 2009 - 08:44 AM

Hi Luckypenny,

I just wanted to agree with what Lacey said (I think she is exactly right with her advice to you). When I had my sono the Dr also did not say much. He briefly mentioned my tubes were clear and that was it. He did not say a word about anything else. It was Dr V who pointed out my tiny septum and said he wanted to do a hystereoscopy. Since he is the Dr treating us, it is all his perogative, so the other Dr would not want to comment much I am sure. So don't drive yourself too crazy with the "what if's" (I know easier said than done).

Lacey, glad to hear you have started your cycle. I am really hoping to be just a couple weeks behind you. I am mid-cycle right now and when I talk to Dr. V on Friday I am hoping he will say I can start in my next cycle (I am getting so anxious to get going).

Lisa

TTC #1: starting in Feb 2005 "unexplained" (immune issues, elevated NK cells, 2 heterozygous MTHFR and 2 heterozygous thrombophilias - Factor XIII and PAI-1 mutations)
me-42, DH-42, married since 1995!
Tried: Naturopath, Chinese herbs, Acupuncture, Homeopathy
4 un-medicated IUI's BFN
IVF # 1 18 eggs retrieved, 16 mature, 8 out of 16 fertilized (1/2 ICSI, half IVF), 5 made it to day 5 blast, transferred two, froze 3
first ever BFP m/c
FET #1 medicated, transferred two, started spotting 2 days later, full blown AF 5 days later (decided I don't react well to Estrace, will do natural frozen next time) BFN
FET #2 natural (but still with progesterone (crinone) support, transferred last blast from IVF #1 BFN
IVF #2 16 eggs retrieved, decided not to do ICSI this time since cycle #1 showed eggs could fertilize on their own, only 3 fertilized! None made it to blast for transfer no transfer! Disaster!
IVF #3 decided to add some repronex to the stims and do all ICSI. 18 eggs, 17 mature and 15 fertilized, 8 made it to day 5 blast. Transferred two blasts, froze 6 BFN
FET#3 added 3 HCG booster shots and doubled up on the crinone to prevent me from spotting early (as I often do), transferred 2 blasts, no spotting but a BFN anyway
FET #4- added ovidral just before my natural ovulation so they could pin point it more accurately with the 36 hour window, HCG shots again, plus double crinone BFN
January 2009 Consult with new RE in Markham - he finds a small septum, resected April 29, 09 - tells me to now try my last two frozen blasts
FET #5 - ET scheduled for June 15 (natural cycle with trigger, HCG booster and crinone) - BFN
On to Plan B- Switch clinic to Markham for
#4 Fresh IVF with IVIg, exploring immune testing - start BCP Sept 20. ER around week of Oct. 25
9 eggs retrieved, 1 immature, 1 fractured. 7 to work with. 4 out of 7 fertilized (Day 3: 1 8 cell grade 1, 2 8 cell grade 2 and 1 morula). Day 5 transferred 1 great blast and 1 morula (1 morula and 1 10 cell did not make it to freezing).
Beta Nov. 11 - BFP! (550) I am in shock!
Issues with spotting, Nov 20, second beta 11,000 and early ultrasound: saw gestational sac and yolk sac in the right place but concern about a cyst or possible ectopic near my ovary as well, 4 more ultrasounds over a 10 day period, last ultrasound on Dec. 2 'cyst' has not grown and baby measuring on target at 7wks, 1day with a heart beat of 153bpm.
Now taking Lovenox due to 2 heterozygous thrombophilias
Ultrasound on Dec. 18 (9 weeks, 5 days) baby on track, hb 167
Ultrasound on Dec. 22 due to extra heavy spotting, baby still measuring on track, hb 167 and dancing
Ultrasound on Jan. 8 (12 weeks, 5 days) baby on track, hb 160, baby doing crunches!
18 week anatomy scan scheduled for Feb. 16 - they lost my blood work for the second part of the IPS so no results for that today (they took blood again) but the 18 week scan went great, baby looked awesome and even gave us a little wave in between sucking her thumb and inspecting her toes. Yes, I said "her" - it's a little girl!
20 week ultrasound at Mt. Sinai and they agree, so far so good.
IPS results are in and they are excellent!
EDD: July 19, 2010
Baby girl arrived at 39 weeks, 2 days! July 14, 2010 3:12 am, weighing 7 pounds even.
May 2013 - The IVF Journey continues...one last try to see if a sibling is in the cards...
Did LIT, IVIg, Lovenox and low dose aspirin. 5 eggs retrieved, 1 immature, 1 fractured, 3 to work with, 2 fertilized with ICSI.
June 5, day 3 transfer of 2 8 cell grade 2 embryos.BFN
April 2014, one very last try - natural IVF with intralipids this time, 2! dominant follicles, 2 mature eggs retrieved, both fertilize with ICSI, day 3 transfer scheduled for April 13, transferred 1 8-cell grade one and 1 6-cell grade one (also using Lovenox and low dose ASA) -BFN, we are really done, not sure if it is now my immune system, or old eggs now too.

#40 Lisa1995

Lisa1995
  • 1000+
  • 1417 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 09:02 AM

Trinity28, good to hear that Dr V was able to fix up your septum but a little harsh that he called things "ugly". No woman wants her parts called that <_< Well at least he fixed things up and hopefully that improvement will makes everything optimal for you.

Sounds like a good plan for the vacation. It seems like the timing is perfect since you won't be cycling until Nov. It sure does get tiring planning our lives around IF. I think that is why most of DH and my vacations have been spontaneous in the last couple of years. Usually right after a failed cycle DH manages to book us something fun to do to help get our minds off things but definately no vacations planned months ahead of time for us either.

TTC #1: starting in Feb 2005 "unexplained" (immune issues, elevated NK cells, 2 heterozygous MTHFR and 2 heterozygous thrombophilias - Factor XIII and PAI-1 mutations)
4 un-medicated IUI's BFN
IVF # 1 18 eggs retrieved, 16 mature, 8 out of 16 fertilized (1/2 ICSI, half IVF), 5 made it to day 5 blast, transferred two, froze 3
first ever BFP m/c
FET #1 medicated, transferred two, started spotting 2 days later, full blown AF 5 days later (decided I don't react well to Estrace, will do natural frozen next time) BFN
FET #2 natural (but still with progesterone (crinone) support, transferred last blast from IVF #1 BFN
IVF #2 16 eggs retrieved, decided not to do ICSI this time since cycle #1 showed eggs could fertilize on their own, only 3 fertilized! None made it to blast for transfer no transfer! Disaster!
IVF #3 decided to add some repronex to the stims and do all ICSI. 18 eggs, 17 mature and 15 fertilized, 8 made it to day 5 blast. Transferred two blasts, froze 6 BFN
FET#3 added 3 HCG booster shots and doubled up on the crinone to prevent me from spotting early (as I often do), transferred 2 blasts, no spotting but a BFN anyway
FET #4- added ovidral just before my natural ovulation so they could pin point it more accurately with the 36 hour window, HCG shots again, plus double crinone BFN
January 2009 Consult with new RE in Markham - he finds a small septum, resected April 29, 09 - tells me to now try my last two frozen blasts
FET #5 - ET scheduled for June 15 (natural cycle with trigger, HCG booster and crinone) - BFN
#4 Fresh IVF with IVIg, exploring immune testing - start BCP Sept 20. ER around week of Oct. 25
9 eggs retrieved, 1 immature, 1 fractured. 7 to work with. 4 out of 7 fertilized (Day 3: 1 8 cell grade 1, 2 8 cell grade 2 and 1 morula). Day 5 transferred 1 great blast and 1 morula (1 morula and 1 10 cell did not make it to freezing).
Issues with spotting, Nov 20, second beta 11,000 and early ultrasound: saw gestational sac and yolk sac in the right place but concern about a cyst or possible ectopic near my ovary as well, 4 more ultrasounds over a 10 day period, last ultrasound on Dec. 2 'cyst' has not grown and baby measuring on target at 7wks, 1day with a heart beat of 153bpm.
Ultrasound on Dec. 22 due to extra heavy spotting, baby still measuring on track, hb 167 and dancing
Ultrasound on Jan. 8 (12 weeks, 5 days) baby on track, hb 160, baby doing crunches!
18 week anatomy scan scheduled for Feb. 16 - they lost my blood work for the second part of the IPS so no results for that today (they took blood again) but the 18 week scan went great, baby looked awesome and even gave us a little wave in between sucking her thumb and inspecting her toes. Yes, I said "her" - it's a little girl!
Baby girl arrived at 39 weeks, 2 days! July 14, 2010 3:12 am, weighing 7 pounds even.
May 2013 - The IVF Journey continues...one last try to see if a sibling is in the cards...
Did LIT, IVIg, Lovenox and low dose aspirin. 5 eggs retrieved, 1 immature, 1 fractured, 3 to work with, 2 fertilized with ICSI.
April 2014, one very last try - natural IVF with intralipids this time, 2! dominant follicles, 2 mature eggs retrieved, both fertilize with ICSI, day 3 transfer scheduled for April 13, transferred 1 8-cell grade one and 1 6-cell grade one (also using Lovenox and low dose ASA) -BFN, we are really done, not sure if it is now my immune system, or old eggs now too.

#41 lacey

lacey
  • Global 100+
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:06 AM

Lisa, good luck with everything!

I emailed Dr. V 2 weeks ago, a very nice email asking to discuss IVIg further as at our last appt I didn't push for it and wish I had. With my 2 m/c, 2 chem pg's and 2 failed transfer, I suspect some immune issue. We figure if this is our last IVF, we may as well go all out. So I emailed him asking if we could discuss this further, I would make an appt. If not, i won't make an appt and waste his time. But he never got back to me! I am a little upset! This is alot of money, I want to go all out this time!
Unexplained, 31, DH 37
TTC for 5 years
IUI 1,2,3,4- BFN
IUI 6,7- BFN
Sept 08- new clinic
Beta Mar 10- 807

#42 Lisa1995

Lisa1995
  • 1000+
  • 1417 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:14 AM

Lacey, you may want to send a follow-up email. I think with spam filters and what not there is a chance he may not have gotten it (I notice his email is right on their website so I imagine he gets a lot of spam etc.). Otherwise you may want to call and ask them about it and whether an appt would be neccessary to discuss it or if you can just go ahead with it.

4 un-medicated IUI's BFN
first ever BFP m/c

#43 Jen-ttc

Jen-ttc
  • Cyclebase
  • 275 posts
  • Dx:Immunological
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Cntr - Dr. V.

Posted 02 September 2009 - 10:18 AM

Lacey,

I agree with Lisa. I've had to resend emails as they have been missed. Also, if do not need to discuss it with Dr. V and you want to go ahead with it, you need to tell Kathy and she will order it for you. It will be in your chart and Dr. V will know about it.

HTH and good luck!

J
me (43) & DH (48)
Our darling daughter, Charlotte, born Jan 19, 2010
Furbaby: Lily the dog

Our loooooong journey to parenthood (I keep this to remind me of all the steps along the way and hope it helps others):
  • TTC #1 since 06/01 & charting since 03/02
  • Oct/02: Spontaneous ectopic pregnancy & right tube removed with emerg surgery
  • April 17/04: 1st IVF consult
  • June/04: IVF #1 - 21 retrieved, 2 grade A, 8-cell embryos transferred, 13 frozen: BFN
  • Aug 16/04: FET - 3 transferred & 8/18 - 1 transferred: BFN
  • Nov/04: IVF #2 - 11 retrieved, 9 fertilized, 4 transferred, none to freeze & another BFN
  • June/05: completed home study for China adoption, but put file on hold to pursue IVF at SIRM Las Vegas. In hindsight, not our best decision.
  • Aug/05: Immune testing results: Heterozygous MTHFR, borderline APAs, high ATAs & TSH.
  • Sept/05: IVF #3 at SIRM: worst cycle ever! 7 retrieved, 6 fertilized, none to transfer due to embies arresting by day 3
  • Oct/05: Moving forward with adoption from China.
  • April/06: Adoption file sent for gov't approval
  • July/06: gov't approval for adoption
  • Aug 15/06: DTC! We're Group 273! :)
  • Sept 13/06: LID!! Waiting for our China referral which we now expect in 2012 or later. Meanwhile.....
  • Jan 25/07 & Mar 16/07: Consult at MFC with Dr. V.
  • May 23/07: Lap surgery - remaining tube drained & clipped.
  • Started Natural IVF at MFC in Aug/07 & completed 6 cycles with good embryos but all BFN. 6th NIVF in July, 2008 - transferred 8-cell embryo with IVIG: BFN
  • Oct/08: IVF with injections. 7 eggs, 6 fertilized. IVIG infusion on ER day. Two 5-day blasts transferred & 2 frozen. BFN
  • Nov/08: Additional testing thru Alan Beer Cntr for immune issues showed low LADS (blocking antibodies) & high cytokines, in addition to already known immune issues. LIT & Humira recommended treatment.
  • Feb 13/09: Surgery removed remaining tube & small uterine septum.
  • Mar & April/ 09: Two LIT treatments in Mexico. LADS increased from 4 to 71%! BTW, that's really good!
  • May - June /09 - IVF: ER May 25 - 10 eggs, 9 fertilized; IVIG; transferred 2 5-day blasts & 4 to freeze.
  • Beta test: June 11th>>> Finally a BFP at 518!!!!
  • July 2nd - 1st ultrasound: 2 heartbeats, but only one measuring strong and at expected size.
  • Jul 16th - 2nd u/s: 1 strong heartbeat & our little bean did a dance for us.
  • Aug 5th: 3rd u/s & OB consult - our little bean is looking more like a baby and everything is on target.
  • Sept 23: 18 week check-up (in my 19th week) - We're expecting a baby girl and everything is looking perfect!!
  • EDD: Feb 17/10
  • Our beautiful baby girl arrived early on Tues, Jan 19, 2010.
  • April/10: Withdrew adoption file for China adoption due to extending wait times.
  • Dec /11: Follow-up AEB testing completed. Feb /12: AEB test results: super high cytokines, high TSH, high NKs and borderline MTHFR. Recommended treatment is increase thyroid meds, IVIG, Humira, lovenox, BA and extra folic acid.
  • 2 doses Humira 2 wks apart (June 14 & June 28)
  • Natural FET: Aug 22: CD1. Aug 29th: monitoring starts. Sept 7: IVIG; Sept 8th: transfer 2 frozen blasts. Sept 20th - 1st beta: 66. Sept 24th - repeat beta: 174. Sept 26th - 3rd beta: 284. Sept 28th - 4th beta 457: Oct 1st - 5th beta: 716. Not doubling as expected with a normal pregnancy. Oct 3rd- beta: 1033; u/s to confirm location/ viability: a 6 wk gestational sac in the right place with a flicker of a heartbeat. Oct 9: u/s showed bean with heart rate of 122 and right size. Oct 19th - u/s: We are so sad that there is no heartbeat and embryo stopped growing. :(

#44 lacey

lacey
  • Global 100+
  • 490 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 11:31 AM

Thanks girls.
I will re-send it today. I was hoping he would just put it in my chart! If they call me today with protocol, I will ask about it too.

Did they give you a script for your needles? I have all the drugs but no syringes for any of them except I think Menopur, which comes pre-loaded.

Also, if I am going Orgalutron, Puregon and Menopur, what drug do I take during suppresion?
Helen quickly told me Orgaulutron started day 6 of the stims and I know puregon is a stim. When do you take Menopur?? This is so confusing! I wish they would call!

Oh another q... what did you take during the 2WW? progesterone or prog and HCG shots?
Unexplained, 31, DH 37
TTC for 5 years
IUI 1,2,3,4- BFN
IUI 6,7- BFN
Sept 08- new clinic
Beta Mar 10- 807

#45 Luckypenny

Luckypenny
  • Cyclebase
  • 1837 posts

Posted 02 September 2009 - 12:02 PM

Trinity - that's good that your hysteroscopy is complete and you are on track for an October cylce. I agree with Lisa - that was a bit harsh for Dr. V. to tell you that your uterus was ugly. But maybe he was trying to give you some reassurance that it may have contributed to past struggles, and now that it is fixed up there is a reason to have renewed hope that your next cycle will be successful (when I left my doctor at LifeQuest without pursuing treatment, I wrote to him and let him know that some of his comments were upsetting to me. It was a nice letter, not meant to be critical, but just to let him know why I had chosen to move on. I really liked him and felt that he would appreciate the feedback. He actually wrote me back - himself, not an unsigned "dictated, but not read" correspondence. He said his comments were meant to make me feel better, but had obviously missed the mark, and that he was truly sorry for that. It was very nice on his part, esp. given how busy he is. In that vein, I would guess Dr. Virro's comment was to try to give you some reassurance that the procedure was worth doing, and may have a profound effect on the success of your next cycle. I really don't believe it was a callous, careless remark).

Lacey and Lisa - that's awesome that you are getting so close to cycling again. I will be thinking of you and praying for success! You both deserve it.

Lacey, I agree with the other girls, definitely follow up. Sometimes a phone call is worth while, e-mails can get missed. Its easy to think they are being ignored, and make you feel that your cycle is being treated carelessly, when it could be that the e-mail was not recieved.

Jen - thanks for your continuing support and feedback. I can't believe you are already 16 weeks along - amazing! This summer has flown by (in some ways I am glad - I can't wait for my first appointment with Dr. V. But I don't want to wish my life away!).

I know what you girls mean about IF starting to control our lives. I recently agreed to mentor a girl through Big Sisters (I have been a Big in the past, but it has been awhile). Today I was thinking about how it will be difficult to make plans ahead of time when we are cycling. I had to stop and remind myself that I need to take it one day at a time and not worry about what is going to happen. I don't want to miss out on life while I am busy trying to create one.

Big Hugs and lots of baby dust.
Last BCP April 20th.
ER date - May 5th.

#46 aprilbaby

aprilbaby
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:06 PM

jUST a quick post as I am in a rush but I had my 1st appt with Dr. V and LOVED him. He is everything everyone says. I have never met a docotor like him. Positive, confident but not arrogant, kind, and so goodlooking LOL!

Dh's DNA test was excellent. He said he has very good sperm but the count and other things are low. We knew this before. Also. my fsh was a bit high but he said he is not concerned at all because of my age (32) and also many girls with high fsh make alot of eggs. This high fsh thing is a new thing over the past couple of years! I guess that is what happens when you try for 7 years Icing on the cake! Plus my mom went through menopause early. Anyways, the dip in my uterus is very small and he gives us excellent odds with regular ivf (60%). He said natural ivf is an option and he will not do icsi though and will see what happens. If not fert occurs then we will do icsi.

Dh and I will try natural ivf's before anything else. I asked how many naturals I should try and he said just one hopefully! He is so nice.

Warning to new patients..he will ask you if you had a pap smear recently and if you haven't will suggest having one right then. HOW emberrasing because I was not ready for one! It was so wierd to walk out of the office where dh was to go do a pap with Dr. V LOL. We also brought DS and Dr. V said we are very lucky to have such an amazing child, he could tell how inquisitive and smart he was.

Anyway, talk to you all soon. I wish I could start natural ivf tomorrow when AF shows but I am starting work (teacher) on Tues and I think it will be too crazy. So we are going in Oct.

#47 Luckypenny

Luckypenny
  • Cyclebase
  • 1837 posts

Posted 05 September 2009 - 07:56 PM

Awesome update Aprilbaby! That's great that the dip in your uterus is small and you can start treatment without having to do a hysteroscopy. It sounds like all of your test results were really good and its great that Dr. V is very confident in your chance for success.

Thanks too for the heads up re. the pap. Happily I had one done in January, and I can get the test results if Dr. V wants to have them on file (it was clear). Nice to be prepared though!

Do you live close enough to the clinic to work during your cycle?

Reading your update I am even more anxious for our first appointment!

Lots of baby dust everyone!
Last BCP April 20th.
ER date - May 5th.

#48 aprilbaby

aprilbaby
  • Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:06 PM

Lucky,

Thanks for the encouragment. I feel good about everything even though I got the news about the fsh and dh's sperm. It's strange because years ago I would freak out about it but right now I feel so calm. I just know all is well and everything that will be will be. However, I don't expect to stay feeling that way LOL. I will have bad days, trust me on that!

I live about a 1/2 hour-40 min drive away so I will be working and cycling. I guess I will leave here at 6am YIKES!!! And hopefully be out of there by 7:15. Or else I will have to take 1/2 days off. It will be hard I know that. Especially having DS now. Dh will have to get him ready in the morning but I know he will be wondering where Mama is.

I am excited for you to have your appt! Hurry up OCTOBER!!

#49 Luckypenny

Luckypenny
  • Cyclebase
  • 1837 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:30 PM

3 weeks until my appointment - yah! I called the clinic yesterday to confirm the appointment per the instructions MFC sends in the mail and left a message for Tina. Do I need to be concerned if she doesn't call back to say she got the message?
Last BCP April 20th.
ER date - May 5th.

#50 Luckypenny

Luckypenny
  • Cyclebase
  • 1837 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:33 PM

Question for Jen (ttc#1) - what is twilight anesthesia and how did you know about it to request it? (just curious)
Last BCP April 20th.
ER date - May 5th.