only 25% success rate in general in UBC? - Page 2 - UBC - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

only 25% success rate in general in UBC?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 Hopefulparent1

Hopefulparent1
  • 30 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 16 November 2009 - 03:13 AM

Aja and Rick, Thanks for sharing the information.

As for the doctors, I have asked Dr Williams that I can only see females (my personal preference due to my heritage and background). She is very accomodating to this request hence we will start our first cycle in Jan when there are 2 female doctors back to back working so if Dr Williams miss then Dr Allaire will see me. I have not been told otherwise hence I am very happy with this approach at UBC. At Genesis, they said they will try but there is no gurantee.

One question though from both of you, I have seen in the forum that most of the good embryos at UBC went bad after 5 days (for many cases). Is this due to their lack of technology?? As I said, besides the technology, I am very happy at UBC so far.

#27 Aja

Aja
  • Cyclebase
  • 602 posts
  • My Clinic:UBC/PCRM/VFC

Posted 16 November 2009 - 12:56 PM

So glad that you were able to get that confirmed and that they are accommodating your request.

I have to admit I was very disappointed that out of my 10 leftover embryos (after 3 that were transferred on day 3) none of them made it to day 5 for freezing. Several were of decent quality on day 3 and there was no real explanation given for why none of the 10 made it. I had been so confident that with 10 leftover, I would have frosties. I do suspect it was the lack of technology in their lab to culture them that long but I have no proof of this.
Me: 38 DH: 42
TTC 11 yrs
PCOS, Endometriosis, male factor, thyroid
5 yrs trying natural, Clomid, etc.
4 failed IUI
2 laps
IVF/ICSI - 2003
U/S - twins!
14 wks - miscarry one
Feb.2 04 beautiful baby boy!

IVF#2 - BFN

Waiting for a big bag of money to fall from the sky and land on my lawn so that we can try again.

#28 Rick

Rick

Test Again

• Adminoocyte
  • 6299 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 16 November 2009 - 04:30 PM

When we did IVF-ICSI we had 17 eggs, 11 fertilized, we transferred 4 due to a chromosome translocation then froze 5 or 6. Dr Ma was the embryologist at the time however I believe the lab personnel have changed. Not sure what the results are in lab these days.

#29 Hopefulparent1

Hopefulparent1
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:43 PM

Ladies,

I went to the UBC clinic today. Dr Williams was great as she has been so far. Great attitude and so so caring. I asked her the questions about the embyo storage and why some do not make it past 5 days. I also asked her about the ultra sound embryo transfer technique. Everything is available there and UBC is not behind in terms of technology. Dr Taylor at Genesis was OK, though we did not go past 1st apointment so I am not sure how it would have been later. Though Dr Taylor was not as amiable as Dr Williams has been.

I will be on vacation in Dec so we will start our cycle in Jan perhaps. I hope Dr Willaims is able to get me pregnent the first time.

#30 Zeukko

Zeukko
  • Cyclebase
  • 396 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Genesis

Posted 02 January 2011 - 03:56 PM

I know this is an old thread; I just wanted to put my 2 cents in.

The literature that I've been reading regarding UBC success rates has been encouraging. For my age range (I'm 38), our likelihood of pregnancy per cycle is 33%. In the literature, it stated that UBC's success rate for ideal candidates - healthy, under 35 - is 52%. One percentage above the national average.

I've been working with Dr. Cheung. Though he does seem a little scattered (it would be great for him to take a moment before we walk into his office,for him to remind him of our case), I like him so far. He's quite genial and open to questions. At first he recommended IUIs because DH's numbers were all over the place. They varied from 1 million to 22 million with motility from 50% to 78%. But since the IUIs didn't work, we're moving IVF and have our consultation at the end of this month. I'm optimistic. Like everyone else, I'm hopeful that it'll work the first time.
Me:42 and DH: 44
Married since 2004
Two amazing furbabies
TTC since Feb 2009
Sept-Dec 2010: Clomid + 5 IUIs = BFN :(
March 2011- IVF/ICSI#1: antagonist - BCP, Puregon, Orgalutron, Ovidrel, Crinone = BFN
22 follicles; 14 eggs; 11 fertilized; 2 transferred; 1 snowbaby
FET #1 May 2011- 1 grade 2 blastocyst = BFN
August 2011 - IVF #2:antagonist - BCP, Puregon, Orgalutron, Ovidrel, Crinone = BFN
21 follicles; 12 eggs; 10 fertilized; 3 transferred; 5 3d embryos frozen
FET #2 Oct 2011 = BFN FET#3 July 2012 = BFP @ Genesis Fertility Clinic Beta #1= 41 (gulp); Beta #2= 47 (ugh) = Chemical pregnancy
February 2013 - IVF #3 = BFP - Estrace, Menopur, Puregon, Orgalutron, Endometrin - Retrieved 14 egg, 11 mature, 9 fertilized. Transferred 2 blastocysts. 1 blastocyst snow babyBeta#1: 45 (uh oh)Beta#2: 555 (what?! Wow!)
Beta #3000+.
U/S shows not viable pregnancy. Stopped growing at 5w5days.

July 1st: Natural BFP on HPT - First Beta in the 400s; Second Beta dropped to 200s

April 2014: Single embryo transfer = BFN

Looking into adoption.