My Experiences at TCART

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 06:40 PM

Hi All,

I hope this info helps. I had 2 IUI's done at the Clinic. For every insemination, I had a different Doctor each time. I never got to see my Dr since the initial consultation. I thought this was odd since assuming she has my best interests at heart, she'd want to know how I'm doing, whether I had had side effects to my medication etc. I felt they run it more like abusiness and the human aspect is lost. By my 2nd IUI, having had 1 unsuccesful one already, I was starting to feel anxious. I asked the Dr. why if all my tests had come up normal? and I didn't like her reply at all: not encouraging: "Well, at 38 one only has a 20% chance.." The Dr. just continued writing some stuff, didn't bother to look at me in the eye. Anyone with some sensitivity would've realised I needed soothing words and attention.believe me I am sure you agree that she could have been more sympathetic. We need people who show empathy for our plight, who can be there for us when things don't go as expected.
For every U/S that I had to go in, different ppeople would handle my file and sometimes they seemed lost, like asking me what drug are you on? Oh, so you're still on Puregon? Thank God I kept notes of everything. I imagine so many people handling the same file is an opportunity for mistakes to be made..papers to be lost etc. Needles to say I was turned off. I am now cosidering IVF and have decided to switch clinics. My instincts told me this clinic was not right for ME.

#2 shenaniganzz

shenaniganzz
  • 176 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:27 AM

Wow - thanks for the info!

I went to McGill and had a very similar experience. I wrote a letter to my RE there and plan to post it in the McGill section so that others will know about my experience there. I felt like a number and also felt like my treatment was cookie-cutter.

Where did you ladies decide to cycle instead?

#3 Sleepless

Sleepless
  • 304 posts
  • My Clinic:TCART- Toronto Ontario

Posted 31 March 2005 - 01:31 PM

We've been dealing with Dr. Casper, but recently found out Dr. Claessens will be doing the procedures.

We've had a hard time being able to talk to a nurse. The nurse's secretary is like a guard dog. We've been told you need to be real persistant and demand to speak to the nurse.

We'll see how our phone consult goes and if i'm not comfortable with the doctor or the answers, I suppose we'll be waiting for a referral to another clinic and play the waiting game again.

Sleepless
Me 29 Dh 28
Dh cystic fibrosis
11 embryos
IVF/ICSI #1 June 05 BFN
FET #1 Sept 12th Chemical
FET#2 Nov 23rd Chemical
IVF/ICSI #2 June 06
PREGNANT W/ TWINS!!
Posted Image

Posted Image

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 02:21 PM

Wow - thanks for the info!

I went to McGill and had a very similar experience. I wrote a letter to my RE there and plan to post it in the McGill section so that others will know about my experience there. I felt like a number and also felt like my treatment was cookie-cutter.

Where did you ladies decide to cycle instead?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Shenaniganz,

I've decided to switch to LIFEQUEST. There are so many positive reviews about this Clinic that I decided I'd give them a try. I read your letter by the way! I thought it was great and very well said. I agree we should all get excellent tx, after all we pay so much money for these procedures..knowing that there's no gtee the least they could do is serve us well.

All the best,

Sadie66

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 02:24 PM

Hi All,

I hope this info helps. I had 2 IUI's done at the Clinic. For every insemination, I had a different Doctor each time. I never got to see my Dr since the initial consultation. I thought this was odd since assuming she has my best interests at heart, she'd want to know how I'm doing, whether I had had side effects to my medication etc. I felt they run it more like abusiness and the human aspect is lost. By my 2nd IUI, having had 1 unsuccesful one already, I was starting to feel anxious. I asked the Dr. why if all my tests had come up normal? and I didn't like her reply at all: not encouraging: "Well, at 38 one only has a 20% chance.." The Dr. just continued writing some stuff, didn't bother to look at me in the eye. Anyone with some sensitivity would've realised I needed soothing words and attention.believe me I am sure you agree that she could have been more sympathetic. We need people who show empathy for our plight, who can be there for us when things don't go as expected.
For every U/S that I had to go in, different ppeople would handle my file and sometimes they seemed lost, like asking me what drug are you on? Oh, so you're still on Puregon? Thank God I kept notes of everything. I imagine so many people handling the same file is an opportunity for mistakes to be made..papers to be lost etc. Needles to say I was turned off. I am now cosidering IVF and have decided to switch clinics. My instincts told me this clinic was not right for ME.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Couldn't have said it better Sadie. I think that I should have changed clinics a while ago. I just had faith that it would work out. The clinic is quite impersonal- for my 2 ICSI cycles I had two different doctors (who aren't even listed on TCARTS website, so I"m not even sure what their back ground is).
Even though I practically lived there for a whole year, the doctor never recognized me (as I always saw someone different) . They always asked me what meds I was on, - the doctor didn't even remember that I had just had a miscarriage! I always felt like saying please have a look at my chart before you see me so you can just remember my name! I truely felt like I was just a number.
Jill

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Jill,

We have to trust our instincts. I wish you the best of luck this time around!

regards,

Sadie

#6 shenaniganzz

shenaniganzz
  • 176 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 02:30 PM

Hi Sadie,

I've read good things about LQ, too. Problem is, my husband and I really wanted to use my sister as a gestational carrier for our next cycle and it doesn't appear they do that there. It seems that TCART and IVF Canada are the only two and, so far, I'm not all that impressed with either! :bang: :unsure:

I guess I am trying to gather info about the various clinics now so that we can decide what to do.

I've also heard good things about OVO (which is closer to us ..Montreal) but, again, I don't think they do surrogacy transfers.

Thanks for your thoughts on LQ. I think if we go through another IVF, they are on the short list!

Trudy

#7 Sleepless

Sleepless
  • 304 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 07:25 PM

Hmmm,

I prefer to keep as many Dr's finger's out of my pie as possible. I don't like to share my pie. :D

I guess i'll ask her if she'll be taking any vacation or forsees any days during my cycle where she won't be available. I don't mind her doing the procedure and Dr. Casper in charge of my file and decision making, but having 3 or more won't fly with us.

Sleepless
Me 29 Dh 28
Dh cystic fibrosis
11 embryos
IVF/ICSI #1 June 05 BFN
FET#2 Nov 23rd Chemical
IVF/ICSI #2 June 06
PREGNANT W/ TWINS!!
Posted Image

Posted Image

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 31 March 2005 - 09:14 PM

We've been dealing with Dr. Casper, but recently found out Dr. Claessens will be doing the procedures.

We've had a hard time being able to talk to a nurse.  The nurse's secretary is like a guard dog.  We've been told you need to be real persistant and demand to speak to the nurse.

We'll see how our phone consult goes and if i'm not comfortable with the doctor or the answers, I suppose we'll be waiting for a referral to another clinic and play the waiting game again.

Sleepless

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Sleepless,

While cycling at TCART, I never realy had a problem getting hold of the nurse. Basically I latched on to the first one I met that I liked. Her name is Joan Coogan Prewer. I didn't just ask for a nurse, I asked for HER and sometimes I even said I was returning her call, even though she hadn't called me. I felt very comfortable with her from the beginning and I'd reccomend her.

Sadie

#9 Sleepless

Sleepless
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:04 AM

Thanks Sadie,

We weren't really given a option I don't think to pick a nurse. Francine did our consult with showing how to inject the meds and since then we were always told to talk to Francine. I've found her to be really nice when we met and liked her.

Our last few phone calls to TCART involved calling to speak to her and we specifically asked for her. The first time I got her voicemail and left a message, the other times the secretary wouldn't put us through, kept putting us on hold.

I'll definetly keep Joan in mind if Francine isn't available.

Sleepless
Me 29 Dh 28
Dh cystic fibrosis
11 embryos
IVF/ICSI #1 June 05 BFN
FET#2 Nov 23rd Chemical
IVF/ICSI #2 June 06
PREGNANT W/ TWINS!!
Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Sleepless

Sleepless
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:24 AM

Me again :P

How soon did you all get your meds and where did you get them from? I'm due for AF to visit about 5 days after our phone consult. Is that enough time to receive the meds and start? Unless they change which meds i'll be taking i'll be on Gonal-F and Suprefact.

How does the payment work. We're doing IVF/ICSI.

Sleepless
Me 29 Dh 28
Dh cystic fibrosis
11 embryos
IVF/ICSI #1 June 05 BFN
FET#2 Nov 23rd Chemical
IVF/ICSI #2 June 06
PREGNANT W/ TWINS!!
Posted Image

Posted Image

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 11:09 AM

Hi all,
I am not really sure how TCART works - Has anyone seen DR. Ryan? (TOronto West Fertility) WE have had one appointment with him and he seems very nice and he told us that he would oversee all procedures - he is a TCART associate. WE now have to see Dr. Jarvi (Mt. Sinai) a male fertility urologist (husband has 0 sperm). We are in the early stages of picking where we want our procedures done.. and wondered if we should stick with Dr. Ryan or seek other options.

Joan

#12 Sleepless

Sleepless
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 April 2005 - 05:20 PM

I've heard Dr. Ryan was good. I've never met him, but others here have. They'll be able to give you more information.

Sleepless
Me 29 Dh 28
Dh cystic fibrosis
11 embryos
IVF/ICSI #1 June 05 BFN
FET#2 Nov 23rd Chemical
IVF/ICSI #2 June 06
PREGNANT W/ TWINS!!
Posted Image

Posted Image

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 13 February 2006 - 07:24 PM

Hi all,
my DH and I have been at TCART since late October. We just finished my ER on my 2nd IVF/ISCI cycle today.

Overall, my experience with TCART has been good. Things to keep in mind:

- It helps to build a relationship with the nurses and doctors. My husband is very chatty and we've gotten to know all of them there quite well so the responsiveness from the entire team has been very good.
- They are busy. Probably every fertility clinic in the country is busy. The best thing a patient can do is to come prepared with questions. I never felt like I was taking up too much of their time. On the other hand, when it's just a blood and u/s checkup, it's very much in and out but that's ok with me.
- TCART is in Yorkville, so you will spend more money I'm sure on overall treatment, parking, etc.... just because of the high rent location. We never looked anywhere else as our GP referred us to them specifically, not Lifequest or anyone else.
- We have always had Dr. Klaessens and she is thorough and kind.
- We started with Nurse Ann and she is hilarious. Also have worked with Francine and she's a doll as well.

They have always treated us with the utmost respect and have never pushed us to move forward with any particular procedure. In fact, it's usually us who is wanting to move forward more quickly.

Hope this helps!

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 07:57 AM

I am in Nova Scotia and do not have any experience with TCART but had an aweful time at AART in Halifax.

Like everyone else says, follow your instincts. If it doesn't feel right to you move. I know it is easier said than done. We had a meeting with the Dr in Halifax and the answers I got were not anywhere close to good enough for me so I told them that I wanted to switch to the next closest clinic (which is in Moncton almost 3 hours away). This was in the beginning of a cycle but I did not want to continue with them.

My husband and I fought like we had never fought before after the meeting as he thought I was just going insane from the meds. I explained everything that was wrong and how evasive the proceedures are and how it makes you feel when they call in wrong meds, give wrong info, don't know your name, are rude, lie...all that and you have to lie, pants off time and time again with these people.

I didn't want to buy a pair of shoes from them much less go through IVF.

Even though we spent thousoands more travelling out of province I am so glad I did it (Yes, I am pregnant now). Even if I had not gotten pregnant I would have still done the same thing. Conceptia in Moncton made me feel cared for and looked after. We developed a relationship based on trust and they were very caring and professional. Yes, they are busy too, but I NEVER felt like a number.

Follow your instincts...they are right.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 12:57 PM

Hi girls I so agree with you that the receptionist is like a guard dog lol! Everytime we call she answers and she has no patients either. My husband and I had read about TCART before embarking on this adventure and they had a high percentage. We've been there 3 times now and no positive results yet. I am from Northern Ontario near Timmins Ontario and it is so hard on us with the long drive and all. Have any of you had any positive results with IVF over at TCART?

At one point we were thinking of changing clinics but I don't think we can take our embryo's with us??? We needed an egg donor as well therefore our best friend has been there as our egg donor. We are going back in May for our 4th attempt (transfer) and we have 18 embryo's left...Is there anyone who has had any positive results at TCART?

thank you Mindy

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 01:04 PM

Minsm,
Why can't you take your embryo's with you? They are yours!!!! You may have to pay for shipping, but I see no legal way they can withold them from you.

Constance

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 03:28 PM

Hi Conctance!

Yeah I thought of taking them with me but how much would be the carge I don't know and then I am afraid of starting all over...Are you at TCART ? I don't know if it was just me thinking negative because I have had 3 failed transfers but the nurse said that because we have so many embryo's there could be a few of them that were pre-mature ....she said they look healthy and nice but who knows! We will be going back for our 4th transfer on May 16th hopefully it's a blessing this time!

Thank you

Mindy

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:03 AM

[quote name='shenaniganzz' date='Mar 31 2005, 03:30 PM' post='9703']
It seems that TCART and IVF Canada are the only two and, so far, I'm not all that impressed with either! :bang: :unsure:

... again, I don't think they do surrogacy transfers.

Create does handle surrogacy, Bay and College, Toronto. I've done IVF as surro there.

SG

#19 Sally

Sally

Proud Canadian!

• Non-Active
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:13 PM

I had an IVF transfer last August with TCART as a gestational surrogate and am currently cycling through IVF Canada for another surrogacy. Markham Fertility with Dr.Virro also handles surrogacy arrangements.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 10:55 PM

I am with Dr. De Valle @ Repromed and he does surrogacy arrangements too

:)

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 04:42 PM

Hi girls I so agree with you that the receptionist is like a guard dog lol! Everytime we call she answers and she has no patients either. My husband and I had read about TCART before embarking on this adventure and they had a high percentage. We've been there 3 times now and no positive results yet. I am from Northern Ontario near Timmins Ontario and it is so hard on us with the long drive and all. Have any of you had any positive results with IVF over at TCART?

At one point we were thinking of changing clinics but I don't think we can take our embryo's with us??? We needed an egg donor as well therefore our best friend has been there as our egg donor. We are going back in May for our 4th attempt (transfer) and we have 18 embryo's left...Is there anyone who has had any positive results at TCART?

thank you Mindy

DO NOT GO TO TCART!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nevermind about secretary.... the rest of the team seems so... I dont know how to name it! Every day is another person who handle your file and ask questions like" do you still have medication from your last cycle?". !! Give me a break! do you read the file before the patient arrives for appt or are we just a number equal with couple of thousands of dollars?! Cant you see that I'm at my first cycle? How encouraging can be for me? to feel a failure and not even start the treatment!

We went for IUI in July 2006 . Our problem is my DH low motility and PCOS for me. So far so good except that when we begun treat., Dr Cleansens told us "even with 50% motility is good!!" for them ... and we belived her like stupid people! :wall: :wall: :wall: OK .... so we started .... unfortunatley my husband suppose to be out of town in the ovulation period so he gave his boys for freezin ...ok.... when the time came... big surprise ..."see, you know, with his motility the chances are low to happen... I will still be doing the procedure but do not expect too much". Of course we failed!!! :wall: :wall: with this kind of people!!!!

What was just tooo much for us was the lie, why did she had to lie ? you just dont give false hope to people special in infertility cases!!!!! :icon_cry: :icon_cry: :icon_cry: :icon_cry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Trust your instincts but just dont go there!!!!!

Now we are going for international adoption, we just dont want to waste monney and precious time and mind well being for more treatment (I felt like a laboratory mouse!) and at least we see the light at the end of the tunel!!!! :)

Good luck to all of you and all the best!!!!
For us the fight is over !!

Edited by croanta, 05 November 2006 - 05:08 PM.

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:24 PM

I know that at least one member of the board of directors at TCART is displeased with Dr Claessens.

email me privately if you wish to contact the board of directors by letter
surrogeisha at gmail dot com

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:30 PM

Hi Conctance!

Yeah I thought of taking them with me but how much would be the carge I don't know and then I am afraid of starting all over...Are you at TCART ? I don't know if it was just me thinking negative because I have had 3 failed transfers but the nurse said that because we have so many embryo's there could be a few of them that were pre-mature ....she said they look healthy and nice but who knows! We will be going back for our 4th transfer on May 16th hopefully it's a blessing this time!

Thank you

Mindy

Insist on 5 day transfer. About half of transfer embryos will die off at 3 days, and it's a matter of money that they transfer before they die.

I did transfer at TCART, first try positive result... 5 day old transfer, with 22 yr old egg donor

#24 Sally

Sally

Proud Canadian!

• Non-Active
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:04 PM

I should have added earlier that because of TCART's incompetance I lost one of my fallopian tubes and almost died back in August 2005. 3 embryo's were transfered to me (as a gestational carrier) and at the time of the pregnancy test I started bleeding. They said my beta numbers were low and since I was bleeding I should stop my medications and call them when the bleeding stopped. Well I didn't get a chance to call them back because a week later I was unconcious due to severe internal haemorrage and had to have emergency surgery that put me out of commission for 6 weeks. I ended up with a full laparotomy and lost my left fallopian tube. My surgeons said I had a ruptured twin pregnancy that clotted between my left ovary and tube and the clot also enveloped my ovary (which I almost lost as well). I was told if I had come to the hospital an hour later I would have died as I was unconcious before they had a chance to put me under and I had already lost half of my blood volume.

TCART was fully responsbile for this and I will never forgive them for not monitoring me better (ordering another blood test or ultrasound) and for the way they treated me afterwards. Dr.Claessens told me while I was in recovery it was "impossible" this happened, that's it so rare with IVF (it's not!!) and she wanted to see my medical report. I will never let her see my medical report... well... maybe in court she will.

SurroGeisha, I would like to talk to you further about this, my email is [email protected]

#25 Sally

Sally

Proud Canadian!

• Non-Active
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 09:08 PM

Oh, this is what can happen to you if you go to TCART. Sorry it's not nice to look at, it fricken hurt to recover from!! This was my incision the day I left the hospital... see the bruising?? That's because with internal haemorrage blood is all over the place and they have to fill you with air and treat you like a sack of potatoes to clean you out. Those brusies went all the way up to my breasts.

Thanks TCART!! :angry:

Attached Files