FET versus doing another fresh cycle - Ask the RE - IVF.ca Forums

Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

FET versus doing another fresh cycle


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Sunmoon13

Sunmoon13
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:United States clinic

Posted 09 September 2021 - 08:31 PM

Hi! I had just turned 42. I am TTC through IVF. I have had unexplained infertility for 8 years. I had gone through two rounds of IVF last year that produced 3 embryos (first cycle produced no embryos and second cycle produced 3 embryos). We transferred one in which we were not successful. I have 2 frozen embryos left and I am not sure if we should do another fresh round and test all the embryos at once (we did not test the other two) or transfer the frozen embryos without testing and see what happens?
Currently my insurance does not pay for anything and it is all out of pocket. However, our insurance is changing and rumor has it we will have some type of fertility treatment coverage next year. The financial counselor did say that most insurances will not cover fresh cycles until you transfer the frozen embryos.
My fear with waiting until January (when new insurance kicks in)is that too much time has gone by and my egg quality would have decreased. Or I transfer the frozen embryos and miscarry and it will also be too late to try another cycle. My fertility doctor said I could do either as I responded well to stimulation less than a year ago, but to not wait past the first quarter of next year for a fresh cycle.
I am looking for advice on whether to go ahead with fresh cycle or do a FET first? Thank you in advance!

#2 Cotton3

Cotton3
  • Member
  • 62 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 10 September 2021 - 09:29 AM

If you only want one baby, I would transfer now. If you are lucky and you get pregnant and you are willing to formula feed you could still do another egg retrieval next year, after June/July, which is past the 1st quarter of the year, but there's not much you can do about that. I don't want to speak this into existence, but clinics were shut down during the first wave, so there is also the covid factor to consider.



#3 Sunmoon13

Sunmoon13
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:United States clinic

Posted 10 September 2021 - 11:33 AM

Thank you for the advice! I could transfer one embryo now and see what happens. I should know by next month if our insurance will be covering infertility treatment. If not, then I could do a fresh cycle. If so, I can transfer the other embryo and do a fresh cycle in January. I just hope a few months wont make too much of a difference in egg quality at my age.