3 replies to this topic

#1 Trying forthird

Trying forthird
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Heartland

Posted 15 August 2021 - 08:00 PM

Just blown away and completely devastated by the news that both my tubes are blocked.

My story:

35yrs old. I ovulate on my own, regular cycles. My husband's semen analysis was "as good as anyone could hope for" per the RE.

We have had two successful pregnancies. It took 13m to conceived my first and it was on the HSG cycle + letrozole.

My second was spontaneous the second cycle we tried, 18months after my first was born.

It's now been 4 years since my last pregnancy. We tried for a year with excellent timing and no luck.

I talked to a re end of July and luckily got to go on letrozole right away and got an hsg the following week I fully expected to go and have the hsg and the results to be normal and get pregnant in a couple of months, like the first time. It was not so.

At the time of the hsg the Dr asked me if I had a "special uterus", I know given my hsg in 2014, innumerable ultrasounds, and two successful pregnancies that I had a perfectly typical uterus. They thought I had a unicornate. This just didn't make any sense since that is a congenital anomaly and obviously given previous normal testing I know i don't have one

So, I got a 3D ultrasound and obviously things are normal. I was able to sit down with the radiologist after the ultrasound and go over the details of both the ultrasound and the hsg, although he didn't perform or read the hsg.

The hsg reported a left proximal blockage and a right mid blockage. I dont understand how this could have happend. I don't have ANY of the risk factors. No pid, no surgery, no sti, no endometriosis, literally nothing.

On the hsg, the right opacified over some distance then I didn't see the ampullary portion and no spill. It was a little thin thread the whole way, never any dilation. The left had a tiny bit of dilation then nothing, right at the uterus.

To compare and contrast hsg experiences, in 2014 my tubes didn't fill right away either. The Dr had to push more dye and I had to lay on each side and it hurt like a mofo. My recent hsg didn't hurt, they didn't use a balloon to block the endocervical canal, the test did not hurt and I just laid on my back the whole time, never turning on my sides.

I may be grasping at straws, but is it possible I had an hsg that was just poor technique and my tube or tubes are actually okay????? I'm so devastated that ivf will be my only option after successfully conceiving two pregnancies and having completely uncomplicated pregnancies and deliveries.

Please help. I know this place is a wealth of real life experiences.

#2 Cotton3

Cotton3
  • 94 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 16 August 2021 - 11:32 AM

Can you find the same doctor who did the HSG the first time?

Some women have silent endometriosis.

I hope you are lucky enough to be able to conceive naturally.

Sometimes it is ok to be a squeaky wheel.

#3 Trying forthird

Trying forthird
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Heartland

Posted 16 August 2021 - 11:44 AM

Oh definitely could. The doc was one of the REs at my clinic. Not MY re, but one of the team.

#4 Cotton3

Cotton3
  • 94 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 16 August 2021 - 01:29 PM

Honestly it sounds like you have to grab the bull by the horns and ask for it to be repeated by that RE.