9 replies to this topic

#1 prairie infertile

prairie infertile
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 04 August 2021 - 01:18 PM

Hello all, 

looking for some insight and suggestions based on your experiences:

I'm 35 (turning 36 at the end of this month) hubby is also 36. We have been TTC for 2.5 years. We did 2 rounds of IUI with letrozole which failed in fall 2020. my AMH is good and my AFC was also good. Regular periods and I ovulate regularly on my own. 

Did our first IVF ICSI cycle in Saskatoon at Aurora March/April 2021. We were recommended to do ICSI due to low binding enzyme on DH sperm. Did 12 ug Rekoville 225u Menopur, cetrotide antag. for 3 days before trigger (double). We had # eggs : retrieved 11, 8 were mature and ICSI performed.  5 fertilized and made it to day 3 but at day 5 we had only 1 blast. 2 stopped growing between 3/5 and the other 2 were given another day to grow but weren't quality enough to freeze at day 6. I had a chemical/early implantation failure as at beta my HCG was 3, repeated 2 days later it was 0.

After that cycle failed we both had karyotype testing which was normal for both and DNA frag was excellent (below 6%). DH #'s are excellent motility and count. 

July 2021 2nd cycle changed meds to 75u Menopur and 300 Puregon. Orgalutron antag. Trigger of Pregnyl.  This time I had 14 eggs retrieved (thought I would have more as i was SO bloated and on the US there were approx 10 per side) 12 were mature and performed ICSI. 6 fertilized and made it to day 3. At day 5 we had 4 however only 1 had reached early blast. We transferred that blast and another pre-blast embryo which they performed assisted hatching (on both) and gave the other 2 another day to grow but they stopped. My beta is in 3 days but I'm not optimistic. 

After our first cycle failed, Doc thought maybe sperm issue (hence karyotype and DNA frag) but both were normal. I'm ready to start seeking a second opinion- is it egg quality?Sperm quality? lab quality/technology? 

We have paid out of pocket for all treatments, and luckily we have the means to travel if need be. Where would you go if you were in my shoes for the best quality, most advanced care in Canada?

TIA 

#2 Jerbitts

Jerbitts
  • Global 100+
  • 115 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 05 August 2021 - 12:43 AM

I have no idea for Canada. However, a second opinion would really help a lot in your situation.

#3 Cotton3

Cotton3
  • 62 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 06 August 2021 - 06:37 PM

I'm not an RE but from what I've read the low fertilization speaks to low egg quality and the drop off from day 3 to 5 speaks to low sperm quality and I see both in your two cycles.

#4 niki mccarthy

niki mccarthy
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2021 - 11:21 AM

Sorry you are having such a difficult time with IVF. I had 2 failed IVF cycles before I got pregnant. Many facts come into play (in my opinion) to make it work but the 2 main ones are, best doctor and body/mind being prepared. My son is 2 now so we are going through IVF to try for a second child. 

There is so much to learn with IVF, I think my first 2 failed because I didn't know enough about it.

Keep trying, it will work. As long as your embryos are healthy, that's half the battle.

#5 JoHealth7788

JoHealth7788
  • 24 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 15 August 2021 - 11:53 PM

Sorry you are having such a difficult time with IVF. I had 2 failed IVF cycles before I got pregnant. Many facts come into play (in my opinion) to make it work but the 2 main ones are, best doctor and body/mind being prepared. My son is 2 now so we are going through IVF to try for a second child. 

There is so much to learn with IVF, I think my first 2 failed because I didn't know enough about it.

Keep trying, it will work. As long as your embryos are healthy, that's half the battle.

I agree, this is a constant uphill battle to learn stuff. Determination is the key here.

#6 FlorenP

FlorenP
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:Immunological

Posted 18 August 2021 - 03:48 PM

Hello!

I'm new here, but maybe you can speak to your RE about immune testing.  I recently had immune testing done due to 2 previous miscarriages and they found immunology issues (elevated natural killer cells and low leukocyte antibodies).  I just found this out recently and my doctor has recommended Lymphocyte Immunization Therapy (LIT) and subcutaneous Immunoglobulin (SCIg) treatment.  Maybe you can ask your doctor whether doing immune testing is appropriate in your circumstances.

#7 happyfrog

happyfrog
  • Global 100+
  • 146 posts
  • My Clinic:Invicta

Posted 31 August 2021 - 03:12 PM

Hi, I am sorry to read your story, Unexplained is one the most difficult to find the solution for, unfortunately. Good luck on yr journey

#8 prairie infertile

prairie infertile
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2021 - 08:31 PM

what changes did you make that were successful for you?

Best of luck for your 2nd child! Thats so exciting and provides hope.

#9 niki mccarthy

niki mccarthy
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 09:08 AM

I made many changes from the first IVF. The first IVF, I was stressed and extremely nervous. I wasn't sure what to do. The second IVF, I tried to rest and not be so nervous. But I guess I didn't do the best job. So the third time, I wasn't going to wing it anymore. I hired a IVF counselor that helped me through it. It was the best thing that I ever did. So the third time, I got pregnant. I believe my body was fine, it was my mind that wasn't ready. It was worth it. I will use her again for this IVF. There is alot to learn. Keep the positive attitude, don't give up. 

#10 Sepi321

Sepi321
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 September 2021 - 02:06 PM

Niki, very happy that your third IVF was a success! Best of luck for your next one🤞

Ive never heard about a IVF counselor. Who are IVF counselors? How do you find them? How do you hire them? Do you hire them through your clinic?