Estrace Estradiol estrogen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pebbles158

pebbles158
  • 16 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 29 June 2021 - 01:19 PM

As part of my FET protocol, I have to take pills of estrace 8 mg/day. I have been having a lot of side effects (nausea, fatigue, anxiety, upset stomach, etc)

Has anyone had similar side effects and what did you do to deal with them? I have heard about estrogen patches and suppositories. Has anyone used them instead and were they any better in terms of side effects?

Thanks!

#2 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3349 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 29 June 2021 - 07:45 PM

My assumption always was that since the pills are going closer to the source of where they are needed that the side effects were minimized compared to the other methods. I could of course be wrong by the dosage of patches for example is much higher.

#3 Carter81

Carter81
  • Global 100+
  • 233 posts
  • My Clinic:Ottawa Fertility Clinic

Posted 30 June 2021 - 07:47 AM

I actually developed an allergic reaction to the generic brand of the estrace pills and used the brand named pills but they have been discontinued (something with the manufacturer) so they had me start the patches (two patches changed every two days) and I take Estradiol Valerate injection (IM injection once every three days). I find the side effects are still there in the beginning but milder. I always found that the side effects faded after the first week or so on any type of protocol I was on though. 

Hope you find some relief!! 

TTC since 2012

Me: 40 - DOR and endometriosis 

DH: 36

Jan 2015 - Oct 2016   IUI x 7 - BFN

Feb 2017   IVF - BFN

Jan 2018 - Mar 2018   IUI x 3 - BFN

Aug 2018   IVF - BFN

Mar 2019   Donor Egg Bank Assured Refund Program

July 2019   DE IVF unsuccessful (no embryos to transfer)

Mar 2020   DE IVF unsuccessful (transfer cancelled due to COVID-19 and no embryos to freeze)

Aug 2020   DE IVF (FET) - BFN

Nov 2020   DE IVF (FET) - BFN

#4 hopefuldadsomeday

hopefuldadsomeday
  • Global 100+
  • 733 posts
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility

Posted 05 July 2021 - 07:42 PM

My wife did not respond well to estrace tablets or patches, so she is currently using Estradiol valerate injections every 3 days.  So far she is tolerating it quite well.  We just started a mock cycle to attempt our 3rd FET with our last embryo.

March 2016 - Miscarriage #1 (chemical pregnancy)

August 2016 -  Miscarriage #2 (Trisomy-16)

December 2016 - Miscarriage #3 (unknown - suspected chromosomal abnormality)

IVF #1 - Aug 2017 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol) - 9 eggs retrieved, 3 fertilized, 2 blastocysts, only 1 PGS normal embryo 5BB mitoscore 25.1 (frozen)

IVF #2 - Nov 2017 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol - with testosterone priming and growth hormone) - 7 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized with ICSI, 1 blastocyst PGS-normal 5BB mitoscore 33.12 (frozen)

IVF #3 - Jan 2018 (estrogen priming antagonist protocol with growth hormone) -  4 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized with ICSI, 1 blastocyst PGS-normal 6BB mitoscore 29.82 (frozen)

FET #1 - March 2018 - cancelled due to thin lining (6.25mm)

FET #1.2 - April 2018 - cancelled due to thin lining again! (4.85mm)

FET #1.3 - June 4, 2018 (lining 7.5mm!) - th_abfn.gif

ERA Aug 2018 - Pre-receptive by 1 day

FET #2 - Sep 18, 2018 (lining 6.9mm) th_abfp.gif  Beta #1: Sep 30, 2018 - 682  Beta #2: Oct 6,2018 - 6656 U/S: Oct 15 - measuring 6w4d (CRL 6.87mm), HR 127bpm! U/S: Oct 25 - measuring 8w1d (CRL 16.69mm), HR 168bpm!  Discharged to midwives!  June 7, 2019: It's a girl!  DD born 7lb 2oz babygirl.gif

FET #3 - Sep 2021?

#5 pebbles158

pebbles158
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for the info everyone!

I spoke to the dr indirectly via nurse at the clinic. Dr mentions that she can prescribe the patches but if the lining is not ready by day 14 then they will cancel the transfer. Their rational is since i didnt take patches during mock and first FET, they dotn know how the estrogen patches will act when going for transfer this time. 

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the patches workout fine, as I dont want to cancel the cycle. Another thing I was told that my ERA was based on the mock cycle and patches may have an impact on the receptivity timing. Is this true? Isnt ERA checking how much progesterone should be inthe body to make it receptve for embryo transfer? I asked the nurse, she didnt have  much explanation. 

#6 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3349 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 11:38 AM

I spoke to the dr indirectly via nurse at the clinic. Dr mentions that she can prescribe the patches but if the lining is not ready by day 14 then they will cancel the transfer. Their rational is since i didnt take patches during mock and first FET, they dotn know how the estrogen patches will act when going for transfer this time. 

I am keeping my fingers crossed that the patches workout fine, as I dont want to cancel the cycle. Another thing I was told that my ERA was based on the mock cycle and patches may have an impact on the receptivity timing. Is this true? Isnt ERA checking how much progesterone should be inthe body to make it receptve for embryo transfer? I asked the nurse, she didnt have  much explanation. 

ERA is a function of the protocol.

#7 pebbles158

pebbles158
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 12:00 PM

ERA is a function of the protocol.

Hi Returnable

Could you please elaborate your comment above.

#8 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3349 posts

Posted 06 July 2021 - 12:02 PM

The results of the ERA are only valid for the protocol that was used to prep for the ERA. Different methods of hormone delivery may alter the results.

#9 pebbles158

pebbles158
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 July 2021 - 02:48 PM

The results of the ERA are only valid for the protocol that was used to prep for the ERA. Different methods of hormone delivery may alter the results.

Thanks for Clarifying. This makes more sense and makes my decision easier to whether I should switch to patches or not. Even though I feel sick due to the side effects of estrace pills, I think I will have to stick wtih them due to my ERA results :(

I dont have time and money to do another mock cycle with patches and do another biopsy for ERA.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Estrace, Estradiol, estrogen