#1 Alpha444

Alpha444
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Montréal

Posted 12 June 2021 - 10:33 AM

Hi everyone,

I am new to the forum and seeking guidance.

I got pregnant via IUI on my 5th try at 40. Turns out the fetus had T21 and we sadly terminated the pregnancy.

Im 42, my partner is 48. I dont know if its worth considering going through IVF, as I read through the forum and seeking guidance.

If we attempt this, I would do tte genetic testing to make sure we dont go through the agony we lives through at my last pregnancy.

I have no clue how many eggs they can harvest, and from what people explained here it seems they test some eggs, not all. Would they implant the ones they test?

My menstrual cycle has changed over the last 2 years, I spot about 5 days before my period and ovulate sooner than before. I dont know if its all the hormones I have taken the last 3 years on the 9 IUI attempts.

I know time is not on our side, and dont know anyone who has gone through IVF or in a similar situation as we have, so Im turning to the people here for some input.

Thank you and I wish you all well in your journeys.

I

#2 Cotton3

Cotton3
  • 62 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 12 June 2021 - 07:33 PM

You should schedule a consult appointment with a reproductive endocrinologist to see what your baseline status is, but at age 42 and with 5 IUIs not resulting in a takehome baby, I would hazard your chances are not good. You can up your chances if you have the emotional fortitude and the financial ability to do multiple cycles for embryo banking. You might want to consider donor gametes (your husband is not young either).

You can get a rough idea on the number of eggs you can expect per cycle based on your antral follicle count and AMH (which you will find out via your consult). At 42, you can expect at least half of those to be abnormal.

While you wait, you can work on optimizing your body for pregnancy, weight loss, quitting smoking, taking folic acid, all that good stuff. It is worth trying naturally every month.

Unfortunately, the periods starting to space closer is a sign of decreasing ovarian reserve. Mine are on the shorter side too and I also have low AMH.

• Alpha444 likes this

#3 Alpha444

Alpha444
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Montréal

Posted 13 June 2021 - 09:08 AM

Thank you for responding. I do need to get my AMH and follicle count baseline done and havent since last July where I was told everything was good. I would hope that if things are less than good, they will tell me, and just stop the process there. I have been taking folic acid the last 3 years, I dont smoke, I dont drink and i am im good health (not overweight). We have also agreed that we would not want donor eggs or sperm.

May I ask, if you have had any IVF attempts?

Should we decide to try IVF we agreed its only once because we cant handle the financial burdens and emotional journey.

#4 Cotton3

Cotton3
  • 62 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 13 June 2021 - 03:36 PM

We did a round of IVF due to male factor infertility, found out I had low AMH in my workup, had success the first time. I was 36 at the retrieval. We had a naturally conceived child prior when my DH still produced sperm (took 12 months to conceive) so that was in our flavor.

Very roughly speaking your AFC will predict the number of eggs retrieved (assuming you respond to meds, some DOR women don't).

Sometimes the docs don't tell you numbers because they think they're doing you a favor when they actually may be not that great.

There is something to be said for doing a round to have closure. If it goes really bad then at least you don't have lingering "What if?"s.