4 replies to this topic

#1 GJD94

GJD94
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 02 May 2021 - 04:19 PM

Hello,

My wife and I recently completed our 2nd egg retrieval, and we believe we had some complications. We are hoping someone can help us clarify what happened and perhaps, what we can do about it.

We followed all directions as lined out, and my wife took her trigger shot at the exact time she was meant to. We arrived at the stated time and, in fact, everything we were directed to do was on time.

The potential problem – during the egg retrieval, the doctor stated that my wife was already in the process of ovulating, and we wound up losing 60% of her eggs. The doctor had to rush to retrieve the rest.  My wife was left very sedated after the procedure, and the doctor explained just that – she ovulated early, and we lost eggs… and that was it… No one else around to answer our questions.

I was wondering if anyone can offer some insight:

• Is this normal? Has anyone heard of this before?
  • Does anyone have any suggestions of questions we can ask our doctor?

Any other insight would be much appreciated as we are sitting here feeling very much at a loss, as we are in the 40's age range and every egg is critical. 

Thank you

#2 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3349 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 07 May 2021 - 09:43 AM

I don't think this happens that often. Perhaps it is the protocol you were on? Which clinic are you with?

#3 SheylaM

SheylaM
  • 13 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Looking for another clinic

Posted 09 May 2021 - 04:04 AM

Oh that is frustrating. I am sorry it happened. The protocol used has to be key here I guess. 

At least they told you the truth.... and, at the end, did you get any eggs? did any fertilize? did you get at least one blastocyst? 

In order to get the perfect day and time for egg retrieval, in my experience, I always felt I would have needed a few more blood draws to see my hormone levels and a few more scans to see my follicles. It's just one or two more, and you'd make sure this does not happen.

Each woman reacts differently to medication...   

If she is around her forties, some people say that 'natural' cycles work better for that age range.  

It is not economically convenient though, but...  

All the best,

Sheyla

#4 Jerbitts

Jerbitts
  • Global 100+
  • 115 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 12 May 2021 - 11:57 PM

I don't recall anyone that I know of that experienced that. I think that it is unusual. 

#5 Xalo3

Xalo3
  • Global 100+
  • 175 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility

Posted 26 May 2021 - 11:08 PM

I'm so sorry. My second IVF they only got 3 out of 13 eggs and none of the 3 worked. They said it wasn't safe to get them due to where things were. I hope things work out for both of you.