Covid Vaccine before IVF

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Caroline2019

Caroline2019
  • 72 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 27 March 2021 - 07:41 AM

Hello, Im hoping to begin my IVF cycle tomorrow so was going to wait to get the COVID vaccine until after the eggs are retrieved however my cycle may be delayed so Im wondering if I should consider getting the vaccine. My clinic wont say one way or another... I guess bc there isnt enough research. Anyone else wondering the same thing or have my evidence why or why not to get it? I work from home so exposure is low.

#2 Misskika007

Misskika007
  • Global 100+
  • 209 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 28 March 2021 - 02:42 PM

Hi Caroline, are you able to get it? I know it's not available in most provinces to many folks unless you are in a priority group. There isn't specific research yet on fertility and COVID vaccines, but this is the latest on pregnancy and COVID vaccines. Though much still needs to be done, and the long term impacts aren't clear, it looks promising so far. https://www.ctvnews....borns-1.5362003

Me: 36, Hub: 36

TTC 4 years

3rd IVF cycle, 3rd FET-  BFP,  due June 1 heart.gif

#3 Caroline2019

Caroline2019
  • 72 posts

Posted 28 March 2021 - 05:43 PM

Thanks for sharing the link! That does look promising! I am recently eligible for the vaccine because of working in the healthcare industry however I dont see patients and I can work from home now, not sure when I will need to go back. But as of now Im pretty low risk bc I can work from home.

I was thinking I could just schedule the vaccine mid-April after egg retrieval but Im day 5 and I have a hcg level of 11! So frustrating. It seems I had a chemical pregnancy bc we were ttc last cycle. My cycle started right on time though!

Im still hopeful my hcg level will go down and I could start the meds in 4 days? Not sure of the protocol when its later.

So now this could delay everything.. so vaccine not until possibly later in May?

#4 Jerbitts

Jerbitts
  • Global 100+
  • 115 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 28 March 2021 - 08:08 PM

I don't think there is any research that connects the two together yet.

#5 Caroline2019

Caroline2019
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 12:59 PM

Hm so hard to know. They officially said I cant continue with this cycle so I would be waiting until later in May if I wanted to wait until after the retrieval.
The nurse I spoke to had a stronger opinion that the vaccine wont affect further embryos but how can they say for certain?

#6 Daisy.Eriksen

Daisy.Eriksen
  • Global 100+
  • 506 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 01:03 PM

I am sorry to hear about your chemical - what a roller coaster of emotions. And doubly disappointing to not be able to proceed with this cycle.
I dont know anything much about vaccines but I read on my clinic support group today that a doctor at my clinic told one patient they wanted at least 7 days between vaccine dose and retrieval.
I also saw on a hospital Instagram page a study that the vaccine does not affect fertility (I can try to find the link after work if interested).
So hard to know what to do! Good luck!

TTC since 2013

Unsuccessful IVFs 2014-2016

Unsuccessful known egg donor cycle 2018

Donor Egg Bank Assured Refund plan 2019

Two unsuccessful DE transfers 2019

Unsuccessful DE transfer 2020

DE transfer Nov 2020 - BFP

More about my journey in my profile

#7 Daisy.Eriksen

Daisy.Eriksen
  • Global 100+
  • 506 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 04:36 PM

This is what I was referring to. Doesnt actually seem to be a study but maybe it will give you some more to think about.

https://www.bmj.com/...nt/372/bmj.n509

http://www.britishfe...nes-FAQ-1_3.pdf

TTC since 2013

#8 Caroline2019

Caroline2019
  • 72 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 08:32 PM

Thank you for sharing!!
Yes! It was a roller coaster of emotions. I thought we should try but this happened. I dont regret trying but its still hard to now wait.

Reading this two publications is making me think I should get it... hm I need to think about this. I have two little kids already so I also have to think about being around to be their mother! This new variant is making me even more worried.

Daisy how are you doing? You were due around the same time as me I think... I miscarried at 10 weeks in December.

#9 Daisy.Eriksen

Daisy.Eriksen
  • Global 100+
  • 506 posts

Posted 29 March 2021 - 08:37 PM

It is a lot to think about!

I remember your loss, I was so sad to hear about it. What a hard several months for you. I hope this next retrieval goes smoothly.

I am doing well thanks! Im feeling good and things are progressing nicely so far.

TTC since 2013

#10 Progenesis IVF

Progenesis IVF
  • 62 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Progenesis IVF

Posted 16 December 2021 - 07:53 AM

The current consensus appears to be that women who are planning to become pregnant or who are already pregnant should get vaccinated against Covid-19, because the risks of contracting SARS – CoV -2 during pregnancy are significant, and the benefit of vaccination outweighs the risk of potential side effects.

Since the mRNA vaccines (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna) were originally released, the majority of the current data is based on observations following vaccinations with them. 
This is why many authorities appear to favour certain vaccines over others. As more information regarding the other types of vaccines becomes available, they will be officially approved in the coming weeks.

Progenesis Fertility Center

IVF Centre in India

#11 ISABEL H

ISABEL H
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 February 2022 - 07:09 AM

My clinic said that there is no problem to have the jab before IVF.