Starting 2nd round of IVF + considering DE (looking at DEBUSA) - IVF Ages 35+ - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Starting 2nd round of IVF + considering DE (looking at DEBUSA)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • 32 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 14 April 2021 - 10:15 AM

Hi everyone. I will be starting my 2nd round of IVF soon after my previous one was canceled (did 12 days of stims - Estrace, Menopur and Rekovelle). This time I will be on Menopur, Rekovelle, Suprefact and Omnitrope.
My doctor said he doesn't think the outcome will be any different, but I told him I didn't want to give up after just one round and he understood. I've read many stories on here of other women who succeeded at the 2nd or 3rd try, so I didn't feel comfortable giving up. I just turned 41 in March and have DOR.

I also requested information from my clinic regarding DE because I have been preparing myself mentally that this may be the route we have to take. My clinic works with DEBUSA - I haven't really come across much information about others' experiences with this egg bank except less than a handful (I did look in the 'Donors' section but it's mostly people looking for an egg donor), and so I was wondering if anyone could share their experience. We registered yesterday to look at donor profiles just to get an idea and the selection was extremely limited; I don't know if it's because their list is constantly getting updated (they do mention this on the website) or if it's because we are only on a 60-day trial basis (I don't think it's the latter because the website says that you still get access to the list of available donors; just not their complete profile).

Thank you in advance.

#2 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3349 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 20 April 2021 - 08:00 AM

There are a few people active on the site that have gone with DEBUSA. They usually hang out in the donor buddies part of the forum. I am wondering whether your race (not sure what it is) may be giving you trouble in terms of the number of donors. For someone who is white, there is lots of choice. And in reference to whether they restrict the donors for a preview at DEB USA, the answer is no. Just like they say, what you see right now, though limited in detail, is the donors that are available.

#3 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 08:22 AM

Thanks, Returnable. I realized that our options are limited because we're looking at "non-disclosure", whereas for "open for future contact", there are much more options.

As for the donor buddies section of the forum, I did a search with keywords but only came across less than a handful topics regarding egg banks. I can always do another search and see what comes up.

There are a few people active on the site that have gone with DEBUSA. They usually hang out in the donor buddies part of the forum. I am wondering whether your race (not sure what it is) may be giving you trouble in terms of the number of donors. For someone who is white, there is lots of choice. And in reference to whether they restrict the donors for a preview at DEB USA, the answer is no. Just like they say, what you see right now, though limited in detail, is the donors that are available.

#4 Carter81

Carter81
  • Global 100+
  • 235 posts
  • My Clinic:Ottawa Fertility Clinic

Posted 20 April 2021 - 08:38 AM

Hi Lilly.moon, 

I am currently doing the Assured Refund Program through DEB so please feel free to ask any questions at all...I'm an open book! You should have access to all donor profiles even with the 60 day trial and the amount of donors does fluctuate so you sort of have to be checking all the time. It might be worth joining in with the Donor Buddies 2021 forum...a few of us are using or have used DEB. Also, just with using DE in general it really nice to have a connection with people who can understand the additional stress, questions, etc that can cause. Also, I definitely suggest calling DEB with any questions you might have - they are amazing and will do anything they can to help!

TTC since 2012

Me: 40 - DOR and endometriosis 

DH: 36

Jan 2015 - Oct 2016   IUI x 7 - BFN

Feb 2017   IVF - BFN

Jan 2018 - Mar 2018   IUI x 3 - BFN

Aug 2018   IVF - BFN

Mar 2019   Donor Egg Bank Assured Refund Program

July 2019   DE IVF unsuccessful (no embryos to transfer)

Mar 2020   DE IVF unsuccessful (transfer cancelled due to COVID-19 and no embryos to freeze)

Aug 2020   DE IVF (FET) - BFN

Nov 2020   DE IVF (FET) - BFN

#5 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 April 2021 - 09:06 AM

Thank you so much, Carter81 - I really appreciate it. I will definitely be active in that section of the forum.

Hi Lilly.moon, 

I am currently doing the Assured Refund Program through DEB so please feel free to ask any questions at all...I'm an open book! You should have access to all donor profiles even with the 60 day trial and the amount of donors does fluctuate so you sort of have to be checking all the time. It might be worth joining in with the Donor Buddies 2021 forum...a few of us are using or have used DEB. Also, just with using DE in general it really nice to have a connection with people who can understand the additional stress, questions, etc that can cause. Also, I definitely suggest calling DEB with any questions you might have - they are amazing and will do anything they can to help!

#6 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3349 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 11:58 AM

Thanks, Returnable. I realized that our options are limited because we're looking at "non-disclosure", whereas for "open for future contact", there are much more options.

As for the donor buddies section of the forum, I did a search with keywords but only came across less than a handful topics regarding egg banks. I can always do another search and see what comes up.

I actually found the compete opposite, that most donors were NOT open to future contact. I  have no idea what the mix is now. I'm also thinking that Covid has effected egg availability possibly? May I ask which race would you like your donor to be?

#7 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:39 PM

I don't know... but I did notice new profiles so I think it does get updated pretty regularly. And I noticed less profiles with "non-disclosure".

We're looking at Caucasian.

I actually found the compete opposite, that most donors were NOT open to future contact. I  have no idea what the mix is now. I'm also thinking that Covid has effected egg availability possibly? May I ask which race would you like your donor to be?

#8 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3349 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 12:52 PM

Then it may be the case that their frozen egg reserves are diminished. We had so many donors to choose from we had to come up with a system that would work for us so that we felt we had made the right choice. I want to say that we had around 100 donors to choose from based on very broad criteria, and only a handful were open to being an open donor. That being said, just because they are open to it, I don't think you are obligated to.

#9 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 April 2021 - 01:26 PM

Wow :o I can't believe you had that many to choose from, and what a difference from what I'm seeing now :o
I hope that in the next month or so it changes...

That's an interesting point you brought up - I will ask them if "open for future contact" means they're open if WE decide that we want contact, or if it means THEY could request it in the future. Thanks for that :)

#10 Daisy.Eriksen

Daisy.Eriksen
  • Global 100+
  • 500 posts

Posted 25 April 2021 - 10:04 AM

Hi Lily, like Returnable and Carter, I've used the assured refund plan with DEB USA. It does seem like the number of donors available is reduced from when I last looked, I wonder if covid has reduced the number of new donations. But it also looks like more available today than when I checked a few weeks ago - so probably worth checking frequently to catch them as new ones are added. 

I seem to recall that an open donor means that when a child turns 18, he or she can contact a third party to initiate contact, but it's been a long time since I've read about it. I don't think there's any obligation for contact on any party's behalf though. Definitely worth asking.

The representatives are so helpful and friendly. I called them so many times when I was deciding what to do, and when choosing donors. I still email my rep every so often to give her updates. So please feel comfortable to call with any questions you have! 

If you want to join the donor buddies thread, here is the link. It's been a little quiet lately. Here's the link for the 2020 buddies thread, and 2019 buddies thread, as there are some good discussions about different egg banks, donor agencies, and some others who used DEB USA.

But, first, good luck on your ivf cycle! I hope it goes smoothly and successfully! 

TTC since 2013

Unsuccessful IVFs 2014-2016

Unsuccessful known egg donor cycle 2018

Donor Egg Bank Assured Refund plan 2019

Two unsuccessful DE transfers 2019

Unsuccessful DE transfer 2020

DE transfer Nov 2020 - BFP

More about my journey in my profile

#11 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • 32 posts

Posted 06 May 2021 - 08:49 AM

Hi Daisy, thank you so much for your msg - I really, really appreciate it :)
  • Daisy.Eriksen likes this

#12 Jerbitts

Jerbitts
  • Global 100+
  • 115 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 16 May 2021 - 09:57 PM

I would like to wish you a good luck on your journey! I hope everything goes well.

#13 happyfrog

happyfrog
  • Global 100+
  • 164 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Invicta

Posted 21 June 2021 - 08:48 AM

Good luck on yr journey, fingers crossed