Mini IVF - any experience or success stories? - IVF Ages 35+ - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Mini IVF - any experience or success stories?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 psjamie

psjamie
  • 25 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Olive - Vancouver

Posted 23 March 2021 - 02:03 AM

I will be starting my second round of IVF next month and my doctor suggested that I try mini IVF for the next round. With the first round, I was on Elpis prime and Antagonist stim with maximum dosage. But even with maximum dosage, I only got four follicles to grow and one egg retrieved. Although the egg was fertilized, embryo did not survive 5 day blast. My doctors thought is that I will probably respond the same to both maximum dosage or minimum/gentler dosage so why inject my body with all these hormones when outcome would be the same. I like the fact that she is trying something different but I feel nervous about doing mini IVF especially because there is not much success stories out there about mini IVF. Would love to get any feedback/thoughts/success stories. I am 43 with DOR. Given my age, second IVF will most likely be the last round.

#2 CharlieIVF

CharlieIVF
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 08:22 AM

Yes, I had success with mini IVF.  I only had success with mini IVF (did two full stim IVF before mini).  Mini IVF is much easier on your body, mental state, and pocket book.  I wish I would have started with mini IVF in this long journey, but we don't know what we don't know.  I am currently 11 weeks pregnant. 

I hope this brings you some form of hope. Best of luck! 

#3 psjamie

psjamie
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 10:23 AM

That gives me so much hope. Thank you. And congratulations. 11 weeks!

May I ask you what kind of medications/injections you were on for mini IVF? Also, did you do fresh transfer or FET? Any PGS testing?

#4 CharlieIVF

CharlieIVF
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 11:09 AM

Thank you, still early but we are hopeful and staying positive. 

Yes, if I can recommend anything during IVF (with our age) invest in PGS testing.  I did 3 mini stim cycles and ended up getting four 5 day blasts in total.  We decided to spend the money on PGS testing and I am so glad we did.  Only one little guy ended up being normal. (which is the stats we were told for my age, 1 in 4/5).  The thought of adding on more heartache (more than we already have during this journey) and transferring the unknown abnormal embryos would have been a mess.  My abnormal guys had better grades than my normal guy, which was a 4BB. 

My doctor only does FET.  He gives our bodies time to even out on hormones and have a better control on the hormones needed to prepare our bodies for FET.  He truly individualized my plan, I had never seen anything like it. 

As for medications for mini, they included starting with a prep of estrace, then when the time was right, we moved to clomid, menapur, and cetrotide.  Again, mini IVF was so much easier mentally, physically, and financially.  

#5 psjamie

psjamie
  • 25 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 11:55 AM

That's awesome that your doctor individualized your plan for you.  Which clinic did you go to?  I'm at Olive in Vancouver.  I'm planning to do PGS as well.  But it would be just for this one more round of mini IVF for me given my age.  My doctor doesn't really have a system where I can do 2 - 3 cycles then do PGS testing all together.  

#6 CharlieIVF

CharlieIVF
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 March 2021 - 06:28 PM

I am in the states.