4 follicles at 1st ultrasound - any hope? - IVF Ages 35+ - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

4 follicles at 1st ultrasound - any hope?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • 32 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 19 March 2021 - 08:08 AM

Hi all. I just had my first ultrasound after 5 days of Rekovelle and Menopur and have two follicles on the left and two on the right, which are very small, and therefore the doctor wants me to continue the injections for 3 more days and go in for another ultrasound.

I am 40 years old with DOR - is there any hope? Has anyone had a successful pregnancy in a similar situation? I can't begin to express how I'm feeling right now.

#2 Misskika007

Misskika007
  • Global 100+
  • 209 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 03:07 PM

Hi Lilly, there is still some time for more to pop up! You have a few more days of stim medication so a lot can happen. Also remember, quality over quantity! It really only takes one. I have done three rounds of IVF and have only ever gotten (maximum) 4 mature eggs per cycle. Though it did take three cycles and three FETs, I'm 29 weeks pregnant now. It may not happen on the first try, and you may be presented with other options along the way, keep the faith that your little one will make it to you one way or another.

Me: 36, Hub: 36

TTC 4 years

3rd IVF cycle, 3rd FET-  BFP,  due June 1 heart.gif

#3 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 March 2021 - 07:24 PM

Thank you so much, Misskika, I really appreciate your words of encouragement, it means a lot. Congratulations on your little one! :)

I'm wondering if I injected my Menopur too high up tonight and last night, and I just saw on Youtube that this could affect the effectiveness of the drugs, and now I'm freaking out a little bit because I don't know if I did in fact inject where it's not really effective and whether it has a big impact. Do you have any info on this?

#4 From0to3

From0to3
  • Global 100+
  • 170 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 20 March 2021 - 02:43 PM

Hi Lilly Moon,

I agree it only takes one! I only had 4 follicles including 2 dominant ones on my 2nd ivf cycle and was encouraged to cancel the cycle by the RE doing the ultrasound. My own RE encouraged me to push forward. Those 4 follicles led to 6 eggs 5 of which became embryos. Of those 5 embryos - 2 became my now 7 year old twins and the following fet my now 4 year old daughter. I also have 2 left on ice. My first cycle of 17 follicles led to nothing but empty arms. Hopefully this can give you some encouragement as sometimes the most dissapointing cycles/embryos lead to the actual babies.

IVF#1:17 Eggs, 4-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfn.gif

FET#1: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif m/[email protected] th_agrr.gif 

IVF#2: 5 Eggs, 5-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif Boy/Girl Twins born DEC 2013 babygirl.gif babyboy.gif 

FET#2:Transferred 1: th_abfp.gif Baby Girl born July 2016 babygirl.gif  

2 Frosties Remaining.

#5 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • 32 posts

Posted 21 March 2021 - 09:04 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your story, From0to3 - it means so much so read this
Kind of story in my situation because it gives you hope. I understand that each journey is different but having something to be hopeful about is everything when you're in my shoes.

#6 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 10:32 AM

I had my 2nd ultrasound today - my cycle is cancelled. From 4 follicles, I'm down to 2, one of which is too small and the other one is only 11 mm. I did 8 days of Rekovelle and Menopur - now I have to wait for my follow up appt with my doctor to see of he's changing my protocol.

Let's just say that hopeless is not enough to describe how I'm feeling.

#7 From0to3

From0to3
  • Global 100+
  • 170 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 22 March 2021 - 11:25 AM

Oh Lilly Moon .... im so sorry to hear this. Ivf is such a horrendous lottery of emotions with zero rhyme or reason for result. Biggest hugs. IVF losses hurt like no other and only people whove been through it truly get it. Ive had shitty results too and a miscarriage at 9 weeks all of which now feel like distant memories ... only to say that at that time I felt it was impossible too. Things can turn around for the next cycle even though it hurts like hell right now. Im so sorry.

IVF#1:17 Eggs, 4-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfn.gif

FET#1: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif m/[email protected] th_agrr.gif 

IVF#2: 5 Eggs, 5-5 Day Blasts: Transferred 2: th_abfp.gif Boy/Girl Twins born DEC 2013 babygirl.gif babyboy.gif 

FET#2:Transferred 1: th_abfp.gif Baby Girl born July 2016 babygirl.gif  

2 Frosties Remaining.

#8 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 March 2021 - 12:31 PM

Thank you so much for these words of encouragement - I KNOW you know what these words mean for someone in my shoes right now because you've been there, and I can't express how much I appreciate it.
Because this is all new to me, hearing that my cycle is going to have to be cancelled sounds like the end of the world - it sounds like there's no hope and that it's just not going to work for me, so hearing stories from other women who have done more than one round and ended up having a baby gives you the strength that you need to move forward and not give up hope. Thank you ❤

Oh Lilly Moon .... im so sorry to hear this. Ivf is such a horrendous lottery of emotions with zero rhyme or reason for result. Biggest hugs. IVF losses hurt like no other and only people whove been through it truly get it. Ive had shitty results too and a miscarriage at 9 weeks all of which now feel like distant memories ... only to say that at that time I felt it was impossible too. Things can turn around for the next cycle even though it hurts like hell right now. Im so sorry.

#9 Misskika007

Misskika007
  • Global 100+
  • 209 posts

Posted 24 March 2021 - 12:51 PM

Oh Lily, I'm so sorry. The same thing happened with my first cycle. Keep the faith. You may need a different medication protocol. It took me a couple tries (and a different clinic) to figure out what worked for my body. Make sure you discuss how your doctor plans to change it up for the next cycle. If you aren't happy with what they say, don't hesitate to get a second opinion. I ended up being successful with the doctor who provided my second opinion. Many doctors take different approaches!! Sending hugs. 

Me: 36, Hub: 36

TTC 4 years

3rd IVF cycle, 3rd FET-  BFP,  due June 1 heart.gif

#10 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 March 2021 - 05:34 PM

Thank you so much, Misskika. It means so much to read about others' experiences and I'm so grateful for you and From0to3 for taking the time to do this and to give me hope. I'm waiting for my appt with my doctor on Apr 12 to see what he says. I've read many stories on here where it took more than two cycles to succeed in getting pregnant, so I'm praying that thete's still hope.

#11 Jerbitts

Jerbitts
  • Global 100+
  • 115 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 14 April 2021 - 03:18 AM

At times,  Ultrasound images were recorded on videotape and were retrospectively analyzed.