#1 Dean

Dean
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:First Steps Fertility

Posted 28 February 2021 - 11:42 AM

Hey folks

I'm currently in my two week wait after a second try at embryo transfer (frozen). I'm on projesterone injections as part of my treatment (also 3x a day estrace).

I've been through this rigamarole before with my last transfer (ended in miscarriage 🥺). But I'm still just not sure how to deal with all these lumps and bumps the projesterone oil gives me! I massage and use hot pads (the microwave kind so they don't raise my body temp), and I even do them in the evening so I have lots of time for self-care, before and after.

Anyone have tips? Magic solutions? Jokes? I just want my baby 😭

(Extra info: husband does not do the shots, I really prefer to do them myself. I was also told my clinic won't change to suppositories unless the patient demonstrates real drawbacks (pain, allergy, non-compliance). And tbh the injections are much easier on my wack-a-doodle brain)

#2 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3321 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 08 March 2021 - 08:42 PM

It really does help to have someone else do them as I found the less the needle moves the better. Also if you lay down on your stomach and point your tippy toes towards each other your glutes are at their most relaxed. That with having someone inject so the needle hardly moves in your muscles is really helpful. I think out of the couple of months of shots over two cycles (one successful one not) I can count on one hand the times there was soreness. The SHER clinic has some really good injection hints as well on youtube and nurse Linda is awesome!

#3 Dean

Dean
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:First Steps Fertility

Posted 14 March 2021 - 08:16 PM

It really does help to have someone else do them as I found the less the needle moves the better. Also if you lay down on your stomach and point your tippy toes towards each other your glutes are at their most relaxed. That with having someone inject so the needle hardly moves in your muscles is really helpful. I think out of the couple of months of shots over two cycles (one successful one not) I can count on one hand the times there was soreness. The SHER clinic has some really good injection hints as well on youtube and nurse Linda is awesome!

Thanks for the tips :). I don't think I could ever convince Husband to do the shots ever (aside from the preference for doing it myself) but I do want to try the laying down bit, it seems promising.

#4 Jewels4me

Jewels4me
  • 19 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 19 March 2021 - 11:19 PM

Hallo Dean - sorry for all the swelling and the hurting.

I have only ever had one FET - in Septemer last year (but like you I  miscarried (in October)). I am single and so I had to do the injections myself. I did a lot of reading here on this forum and also listened to the SHER clinic video mentioned by Returnable.

Here are some things I learnt:

1. As you are preparing put the progesterone bottle under your boobs to warm it up. I have big boobs :-) so this was easy for me. Keep the bottle there as you are getting everything together.

2. At every visit to your clinic get the nurse to draw a circle on your backside to show you the best place to inject. I used to re-outline the circle at home because it fades with showering each day. Alternate from one side to the other. One day right bum, next day left bum. Usually one bum is less sore than the other. Like feet apparently the bums are different. :-).

3. When you are ready also massage the bum you are going to inject to relax the muscle and warm the place.

4. My nurse made me film her as she demonstrated how to inject. Basically with one shot. The SHER video also says this. I never took the needle in and out. Once I hit something that bled but I figured bleeding once wouldnt kill me.

5.  I used to stand infront of the mirror and turn slightly so see what I was doing. I also sat on the loo sometimes to relax the muscle. But I always feared sitting would bring 'germs' near the equipment.

6. And keep massaging the spot you inject throughout the day. Basically the warmth will help to keep the oil moving. Since you are injecting in the evening I dont know how you will manage the massaging through the night. 

PS. I started off using a cold pad on the bum. It used to freeze out the pain I guess. I never felt anything as I injected but I read this wasnt good as the oil needs to melt away so warm pad is better.

Jewel 

#5 Jerbitts

Jerbitts
  • 70 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 07 April 2021 - 08:08 PM

I feel like all the injections hurt for me. I remember the vaccine injections hurt a lot as well.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Projesterone, Injections, Fet, Pain, Lgbt, Embryo transfer, Ivf