About to start IVF journey at almost 41

37 replies to this topic

#1 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • Just Hatched
  • 20 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 11 February 2021 - 09:40 AM

Hello everyone, I recently joined this forum and it's my 1st time posting. I will be starting my IVF journey end of Feb (starting Estrace) and I'm finding myself feeling nervous and anxious every day because I don't know what to expect on these medications I'm going to be starting and I'm scared. I have DOR and hubby has low sperm count with low motility, so there's also THAT stress, although I know I shouldn't focus on that too much because it doesn't mean it won't be successful; I'm just scared of starting this journey and feel like a failure for not being able to conceive naturally.

#2 psjamie

psjamie
  • 22 posts
  • My Clinic:Olive - Vancouver

Posted 11 February 2021 - 06:08 PM

Hi Lilly.  If it makes you feel any better, I'm 43 and starting my first IVF next week.   I have DOR.  I'm also scared and my anxiety level has been through the rough.  Which clinic are you with?  What kind of protocol did they put you in?  Did they recommend for you to take any supplements?  Anyways hope all goes well!

#3 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • Just Hatched
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 07:04 PM

Thank you so much, psjamie. I don't even know what kind of protocol I'm going to be on; I mean, I got all the information but I don't see a protocol name on the 42 pages I received - if that's what you mean. If I ask my clinic, will they be able to give me the name of it? Do all protocols have names?

I'll tell you what's on my prescription: Estrace, Menopur, Cetrotide, Rekovelle, Repronex, Gonal-F, and Puregon.

I'm not taking any supplements other than folic acid tablets that I've been taking for the past year, and vitamin D that I started a month ago.

What about you - what protocol are you on?

#4 psjamie

psjamie
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 08:50 PM

I guess protocol name is not important...important part is that you have a list of medication and injections that you are put on. 

I'm currently on Elpis Prime (1 pump of Androgel, Estrace 2mg x2 a day, and Provera starting on cycle day 22) and I will be starting my Antagonist protocol (Rekovelle 12, Menopur 225, Saizen 0.5ml x 10d,  on Feb 17th, starting Cetrotide on Day 6). 

Part of me wanted to ask my doctor why I was put on these medications/injections instead of others.....what each medication is supposed to do.  But I decided not to...and just trust that she knows what she's doing.  I have my injection training next Tuesday...pretty nervous about the whole thing...but other women mentioned they are not too bad.  

#5 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • Just Hatched
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 09:17 PM

I guess protocol name is not important...important part is that you have a list of medication and injections that you are put on. 

I'm currently on Elpis Prime (1 pump of Androgel, Estrace 2mg x2 a day, and Provera starting on cycle day 22) and I will be starting my Antagonist protocol (Rekovelle 12, Menopur 225, Saizen 0.5ml x 10d,  on Feb 17th, starting Cetrotide on Day 6). 

Part of me wanted to ask my doctor why I was put on these medications/injections instead of others.....what each medication is supposed to do.  But I decided not to...and just trust that she knows what she's doing.  I have my injection training next Tuesday...pretty nervous about the whole thing...but other women mentioned they are not too bad.

That's exactly what I wanted to do and it's exactly why I didn't; I said to myself he must know what he's doing, so just leave it. I'm sure they choose our protocols based on their evaluation of all the factors, so I guess it's one less thing for us to worry about. My next step is contacting the pharmacy associated with the clinic to see what their prices are and then deciding whether to order them from my own pharmacy or theirs.

There's just so much stress with having to take all these drugs, the cost of the treatment AND the cost of the meds, whether it's going to work, etc. It's a lot.

I'd love to hear how things are going for you once you start.

#6 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • Just Hatched
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 01:12 PM

Thank you so much, psjamie. I don't even know what kind of protocol I'm going to be on; I mean, I got all the information but I don't see a protocol name on the 42 pages I received - if that's what you mean. If I ask my clinic, will they be able to give me the name of it? Do all protocols have names?
I'll tell you what's on my prescription: Estrace, Menopur, Cetrotide, Rekovelle, Repronex, Gonal-F, and Puregon.
I'm not taking any supplements other than folic acid tablets that I've been taking for the past year, and vitamin D that I started a month ago.
I'm at the Ovo clinic in MTL.
What about you - what protocol are you on?

Just wanted to say that I confirmed with my clinic that the only meds I will be taking are Estrace, Menaupur, Revokelle, Cetrotide, and DHEA supplements.

#7 psjamie

psjamie
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 01:38 PM

I see.  So when do you start on these medications?  I've read some women start on their cycle day 1, but my clinic said that there's no need to contact them when i get my next period.  They just want me to start on the 17th regardless. 

Is your IVF medication or procedure covered by your medical insurance?  I've been fighting with SunLife regarding my coverage.  Their booklet was so vague so I got their written confirmation before I picked my benefit plans indicating the IVF procedures will be covered under medical plan whereas IVF drugs are covered under drug plan...and now they are saying both procedures and drugs are covered under drug plan.....This has been another added on stress I did not need.  

#8 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • Just Hatched
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 01:51 PM

I see.  So when do you start on these medications?  I've read some women start on their cycle day 1, but my clinic said that there's no need to contact them when i get my next period.  They just want me to start on the 17th regardless. 

Is your IVF medication or procedure covered by your medical insurance?  I've been fighting with SunLife regarding my coverage.  Their booklet was so vague so I got their written confirmation before I picked my benefit plans indicating the IVF procedures will be covered under medical plan whereas IVF drugs are covered under drug plan...and now they are saying both procedures and drugs are covered under drug plan.....This has been another added on stress I did not need.

They want me to start Estrace Feb 26, which is 5 days before my period. And yes, I had to report the 1st day of my period and have to report the next one as well.

As for coverage, NOTHING is covered. I am so frustrated that trying to have a baby via IVF is considered a privilege rather than a right in this province. It used to be free up until 2010 - if I'm not mistaken, then it was removed, with the government saying "free IVF was like an open bar". Yes, that is exactly what they said. And now we have to spend thousands of dollars out of our pockets to see if our wish could come true.
As for my drugs, they are not covered under my insurance plan through work, so I'm waiting on an answer on their part to see if it's something that can be added to my plan or if we're going to have to pay for all of this out of pocket.

Are you in Ontario?

#9 psjamie

psjamie
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 02:04 PM

"Free IVF was like an open bar"?!?!?!  That's just insane.  I'm in BC.  That sucks that none of it is covered by your work insurance plan.  I guess I am lucky that at least some portion of my drugs and IVF procedures will be covered by my work and my husband's work insurance plan.  This whole thing is so expensive...not sure how some can go thru rounds and rounds of IVF.  Have you and your husband talk about how many more times you are willing to do IVF if this one is not successful?  My doctor gave me a success rate of like 5%....and thinks that I'll need to do more than one round to get a good number of embryos.  But all I want and need is one so I'm really really hoping that my first round is successful.  

#10 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • Just Hatched
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 02:28 PM

"Free IVF was like an open bar"?!?!?!  That's just insane.  I'm in BC.  That sucks that none of it is covered by your work insurance plan.  I guess I am lucky that at least some portion of my drugs and IVF procedures will be covered by my work and my husband's work insurance plan.  This whole thing is so expensive...not sure how some can go thru rounds and rounds of IVF.  Have you and your husband talk about how many more times you are willing to do IVF if this one is not successful?  My doctor gave me a success rate of like 5%....and thinks that I'll need to do more than one round to get a good number of embryos.  But all I want and need is one so I'm really really hoping that my first round is successful.

They are bringing back one round of free IVF for women under 40, but I won't be able to benefit from it because I will be turning 41 soon, and that really sucks.
We haven't talked about how many rounds we will do because we just don't know; I guess we'll just start and see from there.
Have you considered donor eggs? When my doctor initially mentioned it as an option, I felt devastated and so depressed for the longest time. I kept crying and just felt so defeated because never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine not being able to have "my own" baby. I've been thinking about it a lot lately because I'm trying to wrap my head around it in case it gets to that. Have you guys ever considered donor eggs?

#11 psjamie

psjamie
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 02:33 PM

My doctor mentioned it to me as well....and said the success rate will be much higher with donor eggs.  My thought is...I'd rather adopt than do donor eggs...and my husband feels the same way.  

#12 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • Just Hatched
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 02:54 PM

My doctor mentioned it to me as well....and said the success rate will be much higher with donor eggs.  My thought is...I'd rather adopt than do donor eggs...and my husband feels the same way.

How come - if you don't mind me asking? If I can't get pregnant with IVF, I'm going to consider donor eggs, but I will need lots of counseling/therapy 1st because right now, just thinking about it makes me feel a thousand emotions.

#13 psjamie

psjamie
  • 22 posts

Posted 12 February 2021 - 03:37 PM

To me, being a mother has been more important than physically experiencing the pregnancy.  Having a biological connection from at least my husband's gene would be nice...but I think the fact that we can hopefully be loving parents to a child who otherwise will not have any...outweighs the biological connection.  

• Thehappyvet likes this

#14 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • Just Hatched
  • 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 08:38 AM

To me, being a mother has been more important than physically experiencing the pregnancy.  Having a biological connection from at least my husband's gene would be nice...but I think the fact that we can hopefully be loving parents to a child who otherwise will not have any...outweighs the biological connection.

I understand. At the end of the day, each person will/should do what feels right for them.

I posted a new thread last week asking about supplements but haven't gotten any replies, so I will ask you. My Dr. Prescribed DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone); I did some research online and although some research suggests it could improve IVF outcomes, there haven't been that many studies to really back this, and so I've decided that I don't want to put something into my body that hasn't been studied that much. After all, I am 40 years old with DOR and we all know that the older you get, the poorer quality your eggs are, so taking supplements that are supposed to change the outcome of this natural course of life seems unrealistic to me.
Will you be taking supplements? Has your Dr. spoken to you about how important it is?

#15 psjamie

psjamie
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 February 2021 - 06:23 PM

I understand. At the end of the day, each person will/should do what feels right for them.

I posted a new thread last week asking about supplements but haven't gotten any replies, so I will ask you. My Dr. Prescribed DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone); I did some research online and although some research suggests it could improve IVF outcomes, there haven't been that many studies to really back this, and so I've decided that I don't want to put something into my body that hasn't been studied that much. After all, I am 40 years old with DOR and we all know that the older you get, the poorer quality your eggs are, so taking supplements that are supposed to change the outcome of this natural course of life seems unrealistic to me.
Will you be taking supplements? Has your Dr. spoken to you about how important it is?

I've been to two fertility clinics here in Vancouver and the doctors at both clinics recommended DHEA for my DOR. So I decided to take it.  My sister is a naturopath and she also recommends it to her patients as anti aging supplement regardless of whether they are going thru IVF or not.  

Have you read the book called, "It starts with the egg"?  There is a chapter on DHEA for DOR.  It says DHEA does not just increase the number of eggs and embryos; it also appears to boost live birth rates by reducing chromosomal abnormalities in eggs.  Yes the major criticism for DHEA is that some doctors regard it as "experimental" and that the "gold standard" clinical trials typically used for pharmaceutical drug approval have not been done on DHEA.  Most studies to date have only compared DHEA treatment to each woman's previous IVF cycle or to a matched group of patients not taking DHEA, rather than randomly assigning a large group of women to take DHEA.  

Personally, with DOR, where time is running out of time to get pregnant, I cannot afford to wait for a proper trial to be done on a large group.  As far as side effects are concerned,  because DHEA is thought to increase testosterone, it may have side effects related to male hormones, including oily skin, acne, hair loss and facial hair growth.  Fortunately, I have not had any of the side effects.  

And about changing the outcome of the natural aging course of life...or what i thought of as "playing God"......aren't we already doing that by deciding to go thru IVF?  We are injecting our bodies with strong hormonal medications to force our ovaries to grow follicles to produce as many eggs as possible than just one....then fertilizing them outside of our ovaries....freezing...thawing.... The whole IVF process is certainly going against natural course of conceiving especially for women like us in our 40s...beyond the normal child bearing age. Plus I think IVF medicine and injections have far worse side effects on our body than supplements like DHEA.  

Ultimately, you need to do what makes you comfortable...and you may be a bit late in taking DHEA for your upcoming IVF anyways...because they say it takes several months for it to have a beneficial effect.  So maybe just wait and see how your first IVF goes?

#16 Thehappyvet

Thehappyvet
  • 41 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 16 February 2021 - 04:04 PM

How come - if you don't mind me asking? If I can't get pregnant with IVF, I'm going to consider donor eggs, but I will need lots of counseling/therapy 1st because right now, just thinking about it makes me feel a thousand emotions.

I have been TTC for almost two years now, and nothing came out of it so far. I'm already 39 and was feeling like even IUI would be a waste of time at this point. Fact is, I feel like I cannot wait any longer, and this is why i decided to go abroad for an IVF, so that I would also skip the lines in the NHS. As for the donor eggs I feel that for me it wouldn't make any difference at this point. And I agree with psjamie, I'd rather go through the donor eggs procedure and have a family of my own, than choosing another option.

#17 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • Just Hatched
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 04:14 PM

I've been to two fertility clinics here in Vancouver and the doctors at both clinics recommended DHEA for my DOR. So I decided to take it.  My sister is a naturopath and she also recommends it to her patients as anti aging supplement regardless of whether they are going thru IVF or not.  

Have you read the book called, "It starts with the egg"?  There is a chapter on DHEA for DOR.  It says DHEA does not just increase the number of eggs and embryos; it also appears to boost live birth rates by reducing chromosomal abnormalities in eggs.  Yes the major criticism for DHEA is that some doctors regard it as "experimental" and that the "gold standard" clinical trials typically used for pharmaceutical drug approval have not been done on DHEA.  Most studies to date have only compared DHEA treatment to each woman's previous IVF cycle or to a matched group of patients not taking DHEA, rather than randomly assigning a large group of women to take DHEA.  

Personally, with DOR, where time is running out of time to get pregnant, I cannot afford to wait for a proper trial to be done on a large group.  As far as side effects are concerned,  because DHEA is thought to increase testosterone, it may have side effects related to male hormones, including oily skin, acne, hair loss and facial hair growth.  Fortunately, I have not had any of the side effects.  

And about changing the outcome of the natural aging course of life...or what i thought of as "playing God"......aren't we already doing that by deciding to go thru IVF?  We are injecting our bodies with strong hormonal medications to force our ovaries to grow follicles to produce as many eggs as possible than just one....then fertilizing them outside of our ovaries....freezing...thawing.... The whole IVF process is certainly going against natural course of conceiving especially for women like us in our 40s...beyond the normal child bearing age. Plus I think IVF medicine and injections have far worse side effects on our body than supplements like DHEA.  

Ultimately, you need to do what makes you comfortable...and you may be a bit late in taking DHEA for your upcoming IVF anyways...because they say it takes several months for it to have a beneficial effect.  So maybe just wait and see how your first IVF goes?

I haven't read that book but I've seen it mentioned in this forum and was thinking of ordering it.

And you are right about us changing the natural course of things by opting for IVF - it doesn't just apply to the DHEA, but I just didn't feel comfortable with it after having done some research online and so I decided not to take it. I'm going to start Estrace on the 26th and pray that it will work the 1st cycle, and I wish the same for you :)

#18 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • Just Hatched
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 04:18 PM

I have been TTC for almost two years now, and nothing came out of it so far. I'm already 39 and was feeling like even IUI would be a waste of time at this point. Fact is, I feel like I cannot wait any longer, and this is why i decided to go abroad for an IVF, so that I would also skip the lines in the NHS. As for the donor eggs I feel that for me it wouldn't make any difference at this point. And I agree with psjamie, I'd rather go through the donor eggs procedure and have a family of my own, than choosing another option.

Thank you for sharing your story, Thehappyvet. Are you doing DE right now or are you doing IVF 1st? Have you started yet? psjamie was saying that she'd rather adopt than do DE (I think you thought she said the opposite).

#19 psjamie

psjamie
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 04:24 PM

I haven't read that book but I've seen it mentioned in this forum and was thinking of ordering it.

And you are right about us changing the natural course of things by opting for IVF - it doesn't just apply to the DHEA, but I just didn't feel comfortable with it after having done some research online and so I decided not to take it. I'm going to start Estrace on the 26th and pray that it will work the 1st cycle, and I wish the same for you smile.png

I just came back from my injection training...and my head is spinning.  I start my injections tomorrow.  The other thing I'm going to be doing during IVF is to go dairy and gluten free.  I hear it helps...especially with keeping any inflammation down.  Keep me posted on how things go with your IVF and I'll do the same.  

#20 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • Just Hatched
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 04:29 PM

And you are right about us changing the natural course of things by opting for IVF - it doesn't just apply to the DHEA, but I just didn't feel comfortable with it after having done some research online and so I decided not to take it. I'm going to start Estrace on the 26th and pray that it will work the 1st cycle, and I wish the same for you :)
I just came back from my injection training...and my head is spinning.  I start my injections tomorrow.  The other thing I'm going to be doing during IVF is to go dairy and gluten free.  I hear it helps...especially with keeping any inflammation down.  Keep me posted on how things go with your IVF and I'll do the same.

I hear acupuncture is supposedly really good too, a friend of mine is highly encouraging me to go for it and I've also read about it on here.

I wish you all the luck in the worls in this journey and hope everything goes well - which I'm sure it will. I think it's great that we have this forum to share our experiences and have someone to talk to who understands. I'm thankful for that.

#21 Thehappyvet

Thehappyvet
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 04:50 PM

Thank you for sharing your story, Thehappyvet. Are you doing DE right now or are you doing IVF 1st? Have you started yet? psjamie was saying that she'd rather adopt than do DE (I think you thought she said the opposite).

Apologies, I thought it was the other way around, I sincerely hope that I didn't offend anyone. I've contacted the clinic and I'm waiting for Covid-19 to ease down a bit so I can finally arrange my trip. The clinic is in Cyprus and is currently closed, but I hope within March, I'll be able to start. 

#22 Thehappyvet

Thehappyvet
  • 41 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 04:52 PM

And you are right about us changing the natural course of things by opting for IVF - it doesn't just apply to the DHEA, but I just didn't feel comfortable with it after having done some research online and so I decided not to take it. I'm going to start Estrace on the 26th and pray that it will work the 1st cycle, and I wish the same for you smile.png

I hear acupuncture is supposedly really good too, a friend of mine is highly encouraging me to go for it and I've also read about it on here.

I wish you all the luck in the worls in this journey and hope everything goes well - which I'm sure it will. I think it's great that we have this forum to share our experiences and have someone to talk to who understands. I'm thankful for that.

Acupuncture was also highly recommended to me due to intense pre IVF stress. I had some sessions a couple of weeks ago and I have to say that although I was sceptical it really works. 

#23 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • Just Hatched
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 08:34 PM

Acupuncture was also highly recommended to me due to intense pre IVF stress. I had some sessions a couple of weeks ago and I have to say that although I was sceptical it really works.

Wow, that's good to know. I will make an appt for next week; I'm really curious to see what it'll do for me.
  • Thehappyvet likes this

#24 Lilly.moon

Lilly.moon
  • Just Hatched
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 08:38 PM

Apologies, I thought it was the other way around, I sincerely hope that I didn't offend anyone. I've contacted the clinic and I'm waiting for Covid-19 to ease down a bit so I can finally arrange my trip. The clinic is in Cyprus and is currently closed, but I hope within March, I'll be able to start.
Not all all - don't even mention it :)

I've read so much about Greece, Cyprus and the Czech Republic on here - I didn't know anything about overseas clinics until I started browsing this forum and I find it really amazing that people share all sorts of helpful information with each other.
  • Thehappyvet likes this

#25 Thehappyvet

Thehappyvet
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 February 2021 - 02:09 PM

Wow, that's good to know. I will make an appt for next week; I'm really curious to see what it'll do for me.

Yes, try it out and let me know if it works for you. I'm curious to know Emoticons09710.gif