16 replies to this topic

#1 psjamie

psjamie
  • 25 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Olive - Vancouver

Posted 04 February 2021 - 02:26 PM

Hello fellow warriors,

I'm 43 and my husband is 48.  We've done 2 IUIs, 2 medicated TI with Letrozole, and have now decided to do our IVF before it's too late. 

I'm currently on Elpis Prime (1 pump of Androgel, Estrace 2mg x2 a day, and Provera starting on cycle day 22) and I will be starting my Antagonist protocol (Rekovelle 12, Menopur 225, Saizen 0.5ml x 10d,  on Feb 17th, starting Cetrotide on Day 6). 

Just wanted to see if anyone is starting IVF this month and share  thoughts/concerns, knowledge, and advice as we go through this journey.  

Question: Do you get any ultrasound test done after prime and before starting STIM to make sure if prime medications have prepped my ovaries properly?  My clinic just wants me to move straight into STIM injections.  I'm just concerned that prime medications may have messed me up.  In the past, I have responded poorly to fertility medication like Letrozole.  I'm just wondering if I can ask for Ultrasound...but not sure if they can really tell how effective prime medication was via ultrasound.  

#2 QueenJac

QueenJac
  • 26 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:LHSC

Posted 04 February 2021 - 07:52 PM

Hello psjamie.
I am 34, my husband is 42.
I started my IVF cycle at the end of January. I triggered last night for retrieval tomorrow morning.
I did an IVF cycle in November, which unfortunately only yielded 1 egg, and it did not work.
I didn't prime for either of the 2 cycles I did, so I can't answer your question about the ultrasound. I had my baseline ultrasound and blood work on cycle day 3 for both, and started STIMS that night.
I also used Rekovelle 12, Menopur 150, Omnitrope 3.33, Cetrotide. Last night I did a combined dual trigger of Ovidrel and 2 vials of Decapeptyl.
I responded very poorly in November, so hoping for at least 5 eggs this time around.
I have a low AMH, DOR, poor responder and MFI.
I wish you luck on this journey, it's a difficult rollercoaster.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask, maybe I can help 🙂
TTC #1 since 2006
Me (31). Fiancé (39). Never been pregnant!
Misdiagnosed in 2014 with right tube blockage
As of 2017 everything with me is fine and both tubes are open
Fiancé has mild MFI

#3 psjamie

psjamie
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 February 2021 - 05:58 PM

QueenJac - hope you get some good news this time around.   

#4 Le87

Le87
  • Just Hatched
  • 5 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 09 February 2021 - 02:17 PM

Hello!

Started my first cycle this month with my first injection on Feb 6th. Dealing with PCOS and MFI so we are opting for IVF with ICSI.  We didn't prime but had our baseline ultrasound on the 4th and went straight to stims on the 6th. 

Currently on Menopur 75, Gonal 100 and will be starting Orgalutran tomorrow.  This is all new to me.. 

Good luck :) 

#5 psjamie

psjamie
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 February 2021 - 05:53 PM

Le87 - I checked with my doctor and there won't be any baseline ultrasound for me.  We'll move straight into injections on the 17th after i finish my prime protocol.  How are the injections coming along?  Are you doing self injection?  Any side effects?  This is all new to me as well.   Terrified about self injections...and poor response to injections....

#6 QueenJac

QueenJac
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 09:55 AM

Hello ladies. I hope things are progressing well for you!
This time around we only got 2 eggs, of those 2 eggs only 1 was mature and fertilized. I was told on Friday after my retrieval that I also have borderline empty follicle syndrome. My diagnosis are low AMH, DOR, poor responder, EFS, and MFI.
I had a 3 day transfer on Monday of my only embryo, it was a perfect grade. I hope and pray it works for me this time. Today I am 2dp3dt.
We have a 2 and a half year old son who was somehow conceived naturally while waiting for cycle day 1 to start an IVF cycle in February 2018. What a miracle he is, came to us against all odds. The doctors can't even explain that one. Good luck ladies!
TTC #1 since 2006
Fiancé has mild MFI

#7 Le87

Le87
  • Just Hatched
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 11:23 AM

Le87 - I checked with my doctor and there won't be any baseline ultrasound for me.  We'll move straight into injections on the 17th after i finish my prime protocol.  How are the injections coming along?  Are you doing self injection?  Any side effects?  This is all new to me as well.   Terrified about self injections...and poor response to injections....

I just finished my 4th day and so far it's not too bad.  My husband has been administering it for me since he's a diabetic and comfortable with the whole process.  The only side effect I'm feeling so far (as of yesterday) is slight bloating.  The gonal f is easy but I find the menopur stings a little bit.  Just remember everything is temporary and will pass smile.png  

#8 psjamie

psjamie
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 12:58 PM

Hello ladies. I hope things are progressing well for you!
This time around we only got 2 eggs, of those 2 eggs only 1 was mature and fertilized. I was told on Friday after my retrieval that I also have borderline empty follicle syndrome. My diagnosis are low AMH, DOR, poor responder, EFS, and MFI.
I had a 3 day transfer on Monday of my only embryo, it was a perfect grade. I hope and pray it works for me this time. Today I am 2dp3dt.
We have a 2 and a half year old son who was somehow conceived naturally while waiting for cycle day 1 to start an IVF cycle in February 2018. What a miracle he is, came to us against all odds. The doctors can't even explain that one. Good luck ladies!

As they all say, all you need is one and it was a perfect grade!  That's great news.  Hope your embryo will become a wonderful sibling for your miracle baby! 

#9 psjamie

psjamie
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 01:09 PM

I just finished my 4th day and so far it's not too bad.  My husband has been administering it for me since he's a diabetic and comfortable with the whole process.  The only side effect I'm feeling so far (as of yesterday) is slight bloating.  The gonal f is easy but I find the menopur stings a little bit.  Just remember everything is temporary and will pass smile.png  

That's great that your husband is comfortable with the whole process.  I guess slight bloating means injections are working?  How long do you have to do injections before going in for bloodwork or ultrasound? When will you do egg retrieval?  I will start my injections on the 17th and have bloodwork on 22nd to see how things are going.  And if all goes well, they will do egg retrieval at the end of this month?

#10 QueenJac

QueenJac
  • 26 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 01:16 PM

psjamie, thank you ☺️
That's what I keep telling myself, all it takes is one! I wish you the best of luck when your cycle starts. It is so exciting to finally one step closer to your dream baby. The first day of injections I found to be the worst. After that first day, you realize it's really not that bad. I felt no pain when injecting the needles on 95% of them. By the end of the STIMS, I felt like a pro lol.

Le87, good luck on your IVF as well. I hope you have a good outcome. The Menopur does sting a little bit, but it subsides very quickly. I found the Cetrotide to be more irritating that Menopur because it made me very itchy around the injection site for a couple hours after injecting. I brought that up to the nurses and they said some people have that reaction and it's nothing to worry about. I did find that icing the area after to help alot.

Sending good vibes to you both 💖
  • psjamie and Le87 like this
TTC #1 since 2006
Fiancé has mild MFI

#11 Le87

Le87
  • Just Hatched
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 02:17 PM

I'm going in this Friday for my bloodwork and ultrasound and will most likely be monitoring it closely for the next few days.  I'm tentatively scheduled for my retrieval between 17-19th depending on how I respond.  If all goes well my transfer by be early the following week.  I'm at high risk for OHSS so it may have to be a freeze for now. 

That's great that your husband is comfortable with the whole process.  I guess slight bloating means injections are working?  How long do you have to do injections before going in for bloodwork or ultrasound? When will you do egg retrieval?  I will start my injections on the 17th and have bloodwork on 22nd to see how things are going.  And if all goes well, they will do egg retrieval at the end of this month?

#12 psjamie

psjamie
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 February 2021 - 03:53 PM

Do you know how long they typically freeze the embryos if they were to do frozen embryo transfer?  

I'm going in this Friday for my bloodwork and ultrasound and will most likely be monitoring it closely for the next few days.  I'm tentatively scheduled for my retrieval between 17-19th depending on how I respond.  If all goes well my transfer by be early the following week.  I'm at high risk for OHSS so it may have to be a freeze for now. 

#13 Le87

Le87
  • Just Hatched
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2021 - 02:03 PM

I think it depends on how your body recovers.  My RE was hopeful that if we had to freeze, I would be able to transfer the next month. 

Do you know how long they typically freeze the embryos if they were to do frozen embryo transfer?  

#14 psjamie

psjamie
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 February 2021 - 02:07 PM

I just had my day 8 ultrasound and they only saw 4 good size follicles and 2 tiny ones.  My doctor wants me to do 2 more days of injections and come back for another ultrasound and blood test this Friday.  I was hoping for more follicles since my baseline AFC showed 7...but quality over quantity, right?  And it only takes one!  Trying to stay positive.  Hope all of you are doing well!

#15 psjamie

psjamie
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 February 2021 - 09:47 PM

I will be triggering tonight to do egg retrieval next Tuesday. My doctor originally wanted me to do frozen transfer with genetic testing. However since I only have 3 - 4 follicles and potentially end up with one embryo, my doctor is now suggesting a fresh transfer. I am 43 so I am afraid that my egg quality is not great. No MFI here. Money is not an issue since my insurance cover almost all of the IVF costs. What would you do? I could use some advice.

#16 Le87

Le87
  • Just Hatched
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2021 - 03:13 PM

Best of luck!!!   My retrieval went well, and it was turned into a freeze all cycle because of my OHSS (it was expected).  We have 10 embryos frozen and will start the process of a FET soon.  

Fingers crossed for you!

I will be triggering tonight to do egg retrieval next Tuesday. My doctor originally wanted me to do frozen transfer with genetic testing. However since I only have 3 - 4 follicles and potentially end up with one embryo, my doctor is now suggesting a fresh transfer. I am 43 so I am afraid that my egg quality is not great. No MFI here. Money is not an issue since my insurance cover almost all of the IVF costs. What would you do? I could use some advice.

#17 psjamie

psjamie
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 March 2021 - 07:22 PM

psjamie, thank you ☺️
That's what I keep telling myself, all it takes is one! I wish you the best of luck when your cycle starts. It is so exciting to finally one step closer to your dream baby. The first day of injections I found to be the worst. After that first day, you realize it's really not that bad. I felt no pain when injecting the needles on 95% of them. By the end of the STIMS, I felt like a pro lol.

Le87, good luck on your IVF as well. I hope you have a good outcome. The Menopur does sting a little bit, but it subsides very quickly. I found the Cetrotide to be more irritating that Menopur because it made me very itchy around the injection site for a couple hours after injecting. I brought that up to the nurses and they said some people have that reaction and it's nothing to worry about. I did find that icing the area after to help alot.

Sending good vibes to you both 💖

How are you QueenJac? I just went through my retrieval and they just got one egg. It is pretty disappointing but I am praying that the egg will mature and fertilize into healthy embryo. We will also be doing genetic testing.