Not the Ideal Woman - I need encouragement

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jewels4me

Jewels4me
  • 58 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 16 January 2021 - 02:21 AM

I am not the ideal candidate. I started thinking about having a baby when I turned 50. And I am single - never married. Everything looks impossible but I decided I dont want to be alone any more & started trying for a baby in 2019.

I have registered for donor embryos with an agency in US & one in Canada. Both havent come up with anything - possibly because my profile isnt ideal.

So I got donor eggs (Fairfax bank). I got pregnant in September at first try, had amazing HCG numbers but miscarried the day after my third blood test. My HCG was 9393 and I decided to walk that day, shop and cook. It was our Thanksgiving weekend. That evening I heard something pop in my tummy and the next day on Canadian Thanksgiving I miscarried... bled my baby into the loo is how I describe it.

I have a second Day 5 embryo on ice and started a new cycle in Dec but it got cancelled when the clinic realised I would be ready for transfer at Christmas. We started again this month, got my lining to .72mm by Thursday this week but the nurse called to say the cycle was cancelled because the Dr wants a thicker lining. And she says I have a polyp.

I am now drinking Canadian whisky trying not to fall apart.

Any ideas? Anyone with a profile like mine? Plus they discovered I had urea plasma but still transferred that embryp in September. I always wonder if it was the urea plasma, or my walking alot or whether there was something wrong with the embryo that led to the miscarriage. Or because I had read here that I should drink Raspbeery Leaf Tea and didnt know I needed to stop after the transfer.

Jewel 

#2 Thehappyvet

Thehappyvet
  • 41 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 16 January 2021 - 05:43 PM

Oh my, how are you handling it?

Sounds really difficult, what you are going through. 

I have no experience so far with IVF, just starting my journey too at age 39 with two years TTC and no result.

There is this article that really gave me hope here in the UK about a woman who got pregnant rather late and managed even after 14 miscarriages.

Hope it gives you some courage!

https://www.dailymai...F-Facebook.html

• Jewels4me likes this

#3 Jewels4me

Jewels4me
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 January 2021 - 07:01 PM

Thank you Thehappyvet. Some days I'm OK - like today I'm drinking herbal tea. Some days like yesterday I flip. My body is still pumped with estrogen from the cancelled cycle & my breasts are still sore which I guess messes with my emotions. Thank You for the article.. I will read it.

All the best with starting IVF and looking forward to reading about yourjourney.

Jewel 

#4 smiley

smiley
  • 52 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 17 January 2021 - 12:02 PM

Hi Jewels4me: I'm sorry for the failure. I have had my share of failures and wanted to chime in that every time my RE told me that often the failure to implant or an occurrence of a chemical pregnancy is more often than  not a result of embryo incompetency. I know it does not help in healing but it seems that's the case. It does make sense as the rest e.g., uterine lining can be manipulated to achieve the right thickness et cetera but developing an egg to maturity is a delicate process in which if one gene is not properly copied during meiosis then that's it and we don't get to know about it, until it fails to implant or a chemical pregnancy occurs. 

Again sorry for your loss. 

TTC for two years. DH had vasectomy reversal after close to 15 years. Sperm had antibodies especially on tail making it difficult for them to reach egg. RE suggested ART. 

2/2020: First consultation with RE. Decision made to do IVF  (Age=37)

3/2020: U/S to check state of uterus revealed presence of fibroids, one in particular protruding toward the uterine cavity. Made decision to undergo surgery to remove fibroids 

3/2020: Surgery to remove fibroids 

3-4/2020: Recovery from surgery and COVID hit leading to cancellation of all non-essential procedures 

5/2020: Started IVF #1. 

6/2020: Retrieved 11 eggs; 9 fertilized; 4 made it to blast (2 day 5s and 2 day 6s). Protocol involved BCP before starting stims

6/2020: Fresh transfer of two blasts (3AA and 3BB); positive HPT at 5dp5dt; beta hcg at 9dp5dt=71 th_abfp.gif ; second beta at 14dp5dt=1 th_abfn.gif (Chemical)cry.gif

Plan to transfer the other two blasts in 8/2020

8/2020: FET cancelled IVF lab had ventilation problems leading to shut down 

8/2020: IUI=th_abfn.gif

10/2020: FET #1 unmedicated; transfered 2 day 6 blasts=th_abfn.gif  

11/2020 IVF #2: Retrieved 7 eggs; all fertilized but only 4 made it to 5 day blasts. Protocol didn't have BCP before stimming

12/2020: Fresh transfer of the two blasts; positive HPT starting at 5dp5dt; 1st beta at 13dp5d=1549 th_abfp.gif ; 2nd beta at 20dp5dt=21,000; beta at 26dp5dt=51,000. Excited thinking its twins sad.png

Ultra sound at 7 weeks= one little bean yahoo.gif (Age=38)

Baby born in August 2021- weighing 8lbs  6oz. I am over the moon. Cheers everyone!

#5 Jewels4me

Jewels4me
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 02:03 PM

Hallo Smiley. Sorry for your losses as well. Where are you now in your journey?

The nurses & doctor also told me that most likely the loss was due to the embryo. It was Day 5 2BB. I know that is not a super high grade. But I also think through the things I did 'so as not to repeat them' next time. And I fast and pray every Wednesday that the next baby will be strong.

I am trying all strategies LoL.

Jewel 

#6 BCMom

BCMom
  • Global 100+
  • 177 posts
  • Interests:Nature, reading, gardening, hiking, pets
  • My Clinic:Victoria fertility clinic

Posted 17 January 2021 - 03:35 PM

I am not the ideal candidate. I started thinking about having a baby when I turned 50. And I am single - never married. Everything looks impossible but I decided I dont want to be alone any more & started trying for a baby in 2019.

I have registered for donor embryos with an agency in US & one in Canada. Both havent come up with anything - possibly because my profile isnt ideal.

So I got donor eggs (Fairfax bank). I got pregnant in September at first try, had amazing HCG numbers but miscarried the day after my third blood test. My HCG was 9393 and I decided to walk that day, shop and cook. It was our Thanksgiving weekend. That evening I heard something pop in my tummy and the next day on Canadian Thanksgiving I miscarried... bled my baby into the loo is how I describe it.

I have a second Day 5 embryo on ice and started a new cycle in Dec but it got cancelled when the clinic realised I would be ready for transfer at Christmas. We started again this month, got my lining to .72mm by Thursday this week but the nurse called to say the cycle was cancelled because the Dr wants a thicker lining. And she says I have a polyp.

I am now drinking Canadian whisky trying not to fall apart.

Any ideas? Anyone with a profile like mine? Plus they discovered I had urea plasma but still transferred that embryp in September. I always wonder if it was the urea plasma, or my walking alot or whether there was something wrong with the embryo that led to the miscarriage. Or because I had read here that I should drink Raspbeery Leaf Tea and didnt know I needed to stop after the transfer.

Hi jewels4me

I first went to a local fertility clinic here in Victoria, BC approx 2 years ago at about 47 yrs old. At that point, i thought, since i felt younger physically and mentally than i was, and had previously (22 yrs ago) had a child, modern technology and talented drs could surely make it happen again...but they said that i was too old, only thing they could attempt was donor eggs. At that point, my partner and i wete stoll in denial and decided to ttc naturally for another 6 months or so. After several months, we decided it was futile and proceeded to find/pick an appropriate egg donor to do a retrieval for us. The whole process took a long time and by the time of the retrieval i was 48 and a half. The donor gave us 30 eggs and we fertilized them with my partners (who is 58) sperm, ending up with 12 day 5 embryos.
Soon after in august, i did a frozen embry transfer. Everything looked perfect, hcgs, even the first ultrasoubd at 7 weeks....but then at 10 weeks we went for our 2nd ultrasound, ready to be discharged but when the dr looked at the screen, there was a very long pause (i will never forget) and then he said "im very sorry" anyway i had had a missed miscarriage a week earlier and didnt even know it....
After that i had 2 more transfers with bfns....was just starting to really lose hope when on the 4th try i got pregnant again!! And, while there was much anxiety and worrying, i am now 34 weeks along and everything is good!!
I think we have to be prepared for it to take a few tries and the embryos may look great, but often just arent destined to make it for (for some unknown reason) So dont be afraid to keep trying, but remember perseverance is probably necessary and it can be really painful along the way.....but if we are successful, the reward is great and worth it all!!

Where i am at now is that i will be turning 50 in March (baby due month before in feb) and my clinic wont have anything to do with me then....while many may judge, i still have 8 embryos and may want to have another child....to me there isnt a huge difference between 50 and 53.....
So if i could ask, you mentioned in another thread that you found a couple drs in Canada who were willing to help you, even with your age...who were they? I am looking into this while we consider where to move our embryos to in the meantime.

I wish you success on your journey!! May this next embie be the one! :-)
  • hopefuldadsomeday, Daisy.Eriksen and Carter81 like this

Tang71  

#7 Jewels4me

Jewels4me
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 January 2021 - 09:29 PM

Thank BCMom. Congratulations... I am really happy for you. 34 weeks is amazing. You are almost there.

I wasnt prepared for many tries but I am learning a lot from people in this group. But still I am worrying because I have only the one embryo left.

I will send you the names of the clinics.

Jewel 

#8 Thehappyvet

Thehappyvet
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 January 2021 - 12:25 PM

Thank you Thehappyvet. Some days I'm OK - like today I'm drinking herbal tea. Some days like yesterday I flip. My body is still pumped with estrogen from the cancelled cycle & my breasts are still sore which I guess messes with my emotions. Thank You for the article.. I will read it.

All the best with starting IVF and looking forward to reading about yourjourney.

You are more than welcome! Feel free to share your feelings anytime, we are all going through similar emotions. Take care!

#9 Jewels4me

Jewels4me
  • 58 posts

Posted 30 January 2021 - 08:52 PM

How is everyone?

Just a quick update. I went for a sonohysterography on Thursday. Last two ultrasounds showed a polyp and the doctor wanted to see where it was. The good news is that it is very tiny and in a location not likely to impact implantation. So I have the go ahead for FET in March/April. Now on BCP.

And the other good news is that the sono wasnt painful.

Jewel 

#10 Thehappyvet

Thehappyvet
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 09:43 AM

These tiny roadblocks that appear just to keep us on our toes, are really frustrating.

Best of luck to you Emoticons09710.gif

Personally, I'm still trying to figure out how to travel to Cyprus to start on my IVF treatment sailing_smilie.gif