• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 slamber

slamber
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 12 January 2021 - 01:36 PM

Hello, I have been researching the internet looking for research and success stories over the past 12 hours and came across this forum... thinking I need a little help in the encouragement department at the moment and thought this site could help me.  My partner and I are a few months in to our IVF journey - I had my first egg retrieval on December 24th and had felt fairly hopeful on the result until yesterday...

Out of 13 eggs (10 were mature), we were able to get 4 embryos.  We want to try and have multiple babies so we felt doing a subsequent egg retrieval before attempting our first embryo transfer would probably be our best course of action, so I set-up a review call with our fertility doctor.  This call occurred yesterday and we found out that our embryos developed slowly; became blastocysts on day 6 versus the expected 5.  My partner asked the doctor if based on our embryo gradings, would he expect us to have a successful pregnancy, he said 'no'... without much more explanation than that.  I left the call feeling discouraged and not fully understanding what this all meant.

In my researching the internet, I have found out that although slow growing embryos reduces the likelihood of a successful pregnancy, the chances are not zero, which is were my mindset was yesterday.  It also seems to suggest that your chances are better with frozen embryos versus fresh.

Has anyone had experience with slow growing embryos?  What was the result?

#2 CrisBelieve

CrisBelieve
  • 1000+
  • 1646 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Centre

Posted 12 January 2021 - 02:27 PM

Hi there,

Sorry you are feeling down about your embryos.  I have been in the "slow growing" department too with all of our cycles but I can share a success story.  With my last cycle, we only had 2 embryos make it to day 5.  One was an early blast which we transferred.  The other was still a morula on day 5, then became a 4BB blast on day 6 and was frozen.  My fresh transfer didn't work.  I went back for a frozen transfer 4 months later and I got pregnant and my baby boy was born last year.  I think that statistically, success rates for day 6 blasts might be a bit lower than day 5 but in my opinion, you most definitely have a good chance with your day 6 embryos.  What are their grades?

Wishing you the best of luck!  

More details on our infertility journey in 'About Me' page

Me: 40, DH: 43

TTC for many years - severe male factor - Obstructive Azoospermia

Our 7th cycle brought us the miracles we were looking for.  Our twin girls were born in 2017!  heart.gif heart.gif

Trying for baby #3

Fresh transfer in Feb 2019 = BFN

FET - June 2019

June 25 - transferred one day 6 grade 2 expanded blast

June 29 - POAS...very very faint line!  

July 4 - beta @ 9dpt = 95, beta @ 11dpt = 311, beta @ 13dpt = 646

July 25 - viability scan @ exactly 7 weeks - one baby with heartbeat of 147!  So very thankful.

August 8 - 9 week ultrasound - baby moving around with heartbeat of 170!

August 30 - 12 week NT scan - all looks well with the babe, heartbeat of 155

October 24 - anatomy scan...everything looks great and we are having a babyboy.gif !  So happy!

#3 slamber

slamber
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 03:28 PM

Hi there,

Sorry you are feeling down about your embryos.  I have been in the "slow growing" department too with all of our cycles but I can share a success story.  With my last cycle, we only had 2 embryos make it to day 5.  One was an early blast which we transferred.  The other was still a morula on day 5, then became a 4BB blast on day 6 and was frozen.  My fresh transfer didn't work.  I went back for a frozen transfer 4 months later and I got pregnant and my baby boy was born last year.  I think that statistically, success rates for day 6 blasts might be a bit lower than day 5 but in my opinion, you most definitely have a good chance with your day 6 embryos.  What are their grades?

Wishing you the best of luck!  

Thank you for your reply, congrats on your baby boy!  Happy to know you had success.

My grades are 3BC, 6BA, 2BC and one that was still a morula on day 6.  All 4 have been frozen.

#4 Misskika007

Misskika007
  • Global 100+
  • 185 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 12 January 2021 - 04:52 PM

Hi Slamber,

Just throwing it out there that the most important factor re: embryo growth is actually not their grades or whether they are 5/6 day embryos, it's if they are genetically normal (euploid). I have seen many women on this forum have success with "low grade" euploid embryos or day 6 euploid embryos. Finding this information out requires genetic testing (PGS, NGS, CCS, etc) and extra money, but we did it for our last cycle and found it gave us helpful information. 

Good luck with your next cycle!

Me: 36, Hub: 36

TTC 4 years

3rd IVF cycle, 3rd FET-  BFP,  due June 1 heart.gif

#5 slamber

slamber
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 January 2021 - 06:05 PM

Hi Slamber,

Just throwing it out there that the most important factor re: embryo growth is actually not their grades or whether they are 5/6 day embryos, it's if they are genetically normal (euploid). I have seen many women on this forum have success with "low grade" euploid embryos or day 6 euploid embryos. Finding this information out requires genetic testing (PGS, NGS, CCS, etc) and extra money, but we did it for our last cycle and found it gave us helpful information. 

Thank you for the insight.  We are waiting on genetic testing to come back on two of the embryos, the other two were too small to biopsy.  **Fingers Crossed**

#6 JoHealth7788

JoHealth7788
  • Just Hatched
  • 13 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 12 January 2021 - 11:12 PM

Hi Slamber,

I agree, this information is so useful.