IVF Related Procedure Abroad Question - IVF Ages 35+ - IVF.ca Forums

Jump to content



Photo
- - - - -

IVF Related Procedure Abroad Question


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 melissa87

melissa87
  • Global 100+
  • 441 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 10 January 2021 - 07:53 AM

Anyone who has done ivf or a related procedure abroad I am looking for advice.....

 

The short version of my story is that I have a c-section defect with fluid in my uterus. This was discovered when I tried to do a FET last July. I have been on a surgery wait list in Toronto since then. When I first got my period back I noticed some cramping that would impact my sleep about 10 days out of my period, but I managed with tylonal and advil. At first I was told my surgery would be December 2020 or Jan 2021.  I was okay with this...

 

In Oct my name came up on the funded list for Ivf so I did that and froze everything. I wanted to add to my collection of frozen embroyos because I am not getting younger and we want/hope for multiple children. I know there's no gaurentees but still....anyways my pain was getting worse so I called and they told me my surgery would be more like March....

 

This month I was in so much pain I passed out at work.  I want to the hospital and demanded an ultrasound and found out the defect is like 4 times bigger and therefore harder to fix.  I am now on pain killers which greatly affect my life and job.  I called the surgeon and now they are saying July or August 2021. Even though its getting worse and I was in the ER and passed out. 

 

I mean I get it, we are in a pandemic and I am not a priority but I am so so so frusterated.  I called private hospitals in Canada and of course they don't do the surgery.  I looked into costs in the US and they are insane. We all know it sucks to have set backs and to have to wait for the children we deserve to have, but this is bigger then that....

 

I decided to look into going abroad.  Specifically I reached out to Spanish Fertility centers (because of their reputation) and asked what they do for their patients who have this problem. I have gotten some responses that have given me leads to sugeons that work with fertility patients. I have some meetings set up with them....

 

I am super scared to go abroad but I don't know what else to do...if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it? 

 

Also if I go abroad is it hard to get Canadian doctors on bored? I know my RE (whose at a Toronto Feritlity Center) would have to do my follow up as all my embroyos are here.  

 

Note: I will repost this in IVF Abroad too.


IVF #1: Oct 2018, 8 embryos all untested

FET #1: Jan 2019, 2 transfered, BFP 

DD Born Oct 2019

 

FET #2.1: July 2020 Cancelled due to fluid

FET#2.2: August 2020 Cancelled due to fluid (surgery to fix c section defect in Jan of 2020)

IVF#2: October 2020 5 embryos all untested

FET #2: March 2021 2 transfered BFN

FET#3: April 2021 1 transfered BFN

FET#4.1: May 2021 cancelled due to polyps (hysterscopy to remove polyps) 

FET #4.2: June 2021 cancelled due to double stripped lining

FET #4.3: July 2021 2 transferred BFP 43 1st beta 169 2nd beta 339 3rd beta 3600 First Ultrasound no heartbeat, second ultrasound no heartbeat MC at 8 weeks. 

 

Now a patient at Hannam Fertility 


#2 Thehappyvet

Thehappyvet
  • Member
  • 41 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:UK
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 10 January 2021 - 12:36 PM

Hey Melissa!

 

I am on the same boat too, in the sense that I am considering to go abroad for my IVF as in the UK the treatment is way too expensive.

I was looking into clinics in Spain, Greece, and Cyprus actually because I have heard they have very good results. From my research this turned out quite a lot in Spain and this in Thessaloniki and also this one in Cyprus. Actually the last one I read on an article that they managed to help a woman who had 12 or 14 miscarriages, so impressive. 

 

It is very stressful to think of travelling now with Corona but honestly, with every period I am getting more and more stressed and I've been already TTC now for two years and nothing so far. And I think we shouldn't let this pandemic get in the way of our dream for a family, it is way more important than anything in my opinion.

 

I think you should contact the clinics that you have in mind and ask them, it is my opinion that their level of professionalism also will show on how they will handle your questions and requests, makes sense?

 

All the best on your journey!



#3 melissa87

melissa87
  • Global 100+
  • 441 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 10 January 2021 - 01:07 PM

Thanks for responding! What clinics are you specifically considering?

I 100% understand! For me all of my frozen embryos are in Canada so it would literally be just surgery. But every period I feel worse and worse.

We finally applied for a passport for my daughter on Friday. We shouldnt have put that off but up until last week I thought Id be only waiting until March..:

Do you worry about doctors following up with you in the UK after ? Also do you speak Spanish ? Most of the people Ive contacted speak English but Im definitely wondering about the surgeons.

IVF #1: Oct 2018, 8 embryos all untested

FET #1: Jan 2019, 2 transfered, BFP 

DD Born Oct 2019

 

FET #2.1: July 2020 Cancelled due to fluid

FET#2.2: August 2020 Cancelled due to fluid (surgery to fix c section defect in Jan of 2020)

IVF#2: October 2020 5 embryos all untested

FET #2: March 2021 2 transfered BFN

FET#3: April 2021 1 transfered BFN

FET#4.1: May 2021 cancelled due to polyps (hysterscopy to remove polyps) 

FET #4.2: June 2021 cancelled due to double stripped lining

FET #4.3: July 2021 2 transferred BFP 43 1st beta 169 2nd beta 339 3rd beta 3600 First Ultrasound no heartbeat, second ultrasound no heartbeat MC at 8 weeks. 

 

Now a patient at Hannam Fertility 


#4 melissa87

melissa87
  • Global 100+
  • 441 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 10 January 2021 - 01:08 PM

Thanks for the links Im talking to ivf Spain next week

IVF #1: Oct 2018, 8 embryos all untested

FET #1: Jan 2019, 2 transfered, BFP 

DD Born Oct 2019

 

FET #2.1: July 2020 Cancelled due to fluid

FET#2.2: August 2020 Cancelled due to fluid (surgery to fix c section defect in Jan of 2020)

IVF#2: October 2020 5 embryos all untested

FET #2: March 2021 2 transfered BFN

FET#3: April 2021 1 transfered BFN

FET#4.1: May 2021 cancelled due to polyps (hysterscopy to remove polyps) 

FET #4.2: June 2021 cancelled due to double stripped lining

FET #4.3: July 2021 2 transferred BFP 43 1st beta 169 2nd beta 339 3rd beta 3600 First Ultrasound no heartbeat, second ultrasound no heartbeat MC at 8 weeks. 

 

Now a patient at Hannam Fertility 


#5 melissa87

melissa87
  • Global 100+
  • 441 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 10 January 2021 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for the links Im talking to ivf Spain next week

IVF #1: Oct 2018, 8 embryos all untested

FET #1: Jan 2019, 2 transfered, BFP 

DD Born Oct 2019

 

FET #2.1: July 2020 Cancelled due to fluid

FET#2.2: August 2020 Cancelled due to fluid (surgery to fix c section defect in Jan of 2020)

IVF#2: October 2020 5 embryos all untested

FET #2: March 2021 2 transfered BFN

FET#3: April 2021 1 transfered BFN

FET#4.1: May 2021 cancelled due to polyps (hysterscopy to remove polyps) 

FET #4.2: June 2021 cancelled due to double stripped lining

FET #4.3: July 2021 2 transferred BFP 43 1st beta 169 2nd beta 339 3rd beta 3600 First Ultrasound no heartbeat, second ultrasound no heartbeat MC at 8 weeks. 

 

Now a patient at Hannam Fertility 


#6 Thehappyvet

Thehappyvet
  • Member
  • 41 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:UK
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 10 January 2021 - 01:34 PM

Hi! I sent you three links on the clinics that so far I have my eye on. I mean honestly, I'm spending all this time online searching over and over but these seem really reliable.

 

Follow up you mean by the doctors of the clinic? This is a VERY big concern of mine, yes.

So what I am trying to build right now is a set of questions I have concerning these matters.
Some are maybe a bit too simple but I expect them to be able to respond. 

 

e.g. How long do I have to stay in the clinic in total?

Are there any Covid-specific measures that I need to have in mind? etc

 

So as soon as I have all my questions set, I will send them to all of them and see how professionally they respond. 

And I will add your other question too, good one! 

It didn't occur to me that the surgeons will not be able to speak English, I sort of presumed it.

 

How long is your daughter's passport taking? This will be an issue for me as well here as with the Brexit I'm afraid there will be extra hassle with bureaucracy.

 

As for the periods... I swear by now I have developed some sort of anxiety. It is just horrible.



#7 melissa87

melissa87
  • Global 100+
  • 441 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 10 January 2021 - 01:43 PM

Thanks I really appreciate that!! I hope theres not too many issues for you!

Thats a huge concern of mine. I am also a little nervous about getting support from my fertility doctor here! I definitely want to know how long I have to be there for and if correspondance with my Canadian doctor can be done in English.

Have you talked to ivf Spain yet ? Im doing that this Thursday! Her passport is supposed to take a month by I have a feeling it will be longer due to covid

IVF #1: Oct 2018, 8 embryos all untested

FET #1: Jan 2019, 2 transfered, BFP 

DD Born Oct 2019

 

FET #2.1: July 2020 Cancelled due to fluid

FET#2.2: August 2020 Cancelled due to fluid (surgery to fix c section defect in Jan of 2020)

IVF#2: October 2020 5 embryos all untested

FET #2: March 2021 2 transfered BFN

FET#3: April 2021 1 transfered BFN

FET#4.1: May 2021 cancelled due to polyps (hysterscopy to remove polyps) 

FET #4.2: June 2021 cancelled due to double stripped lining

FET #4.3: July 2021 2 transferred BFP 43 1st beta 169 2nd beta 339 3rd beta 3600 First Ultrasound no heartbeat, second ultrasound no heartbeat MC at 8 weeks. 

 

Now a patient at Hannam Fertility 


#8 Thehappyvet

Thehappyvet
  • Member
  • 41 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:UK
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 10 January 2021 - 02:07 PM

Thank you!! I hope the same!

 

I think you definitely need to ask these things in writing.

I am trying to be almost business-like about it. Like what I pay, what I get in return and specifically what is included in my fee, especially after care. 

 

I haven't contacted any of the three clinics yet, I'm just compiling my questions and will send a looooooooooong email. 

 

You mentioned you are talking to IVF Spain next week. Do you have a phone appointment?

You should really prepare, so that you don't forget anything and it will be clear.

And I always think it's also best to have it in writing so that you feel more secure.

 

Do the help you with your travel arrangements? That's also a big plus for me, especially now with Covid.



#9 melissa87

melissa87
  • Global 100+
  • 441 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 10 January 2021 - 02:19 PM

I am pretty prepared with questions but thats amazing advice about writing them down thank you!! Im not sure about travel arrangements but thats one of questions. They did tell me you have to have a Negative covid year before you go which makes sense.

Its a phone appointment I dont even know if they do the surgery I need but I really hope so! I have talked to several places that dont do and have been put in contact with one surgeon who does do it in the south of Spain affiliated with a fertility clinic. I wrote him a long email and am hoping for an answer tomorrow

IVF #1: Oct 2018, 8 embryos all untested

FET #1: Jan 2019, 2 transfered, BFP 

DD Born Oct 2019

 

FET #2.1: July 2020 Cancelled due to fluid

FET#2.2: August 2020 Cancelled due to fluid (surgery to fix c section defect in Jan of 2020)

IVF#2: October 2020 5 embryos all untested

FET #2: March 2021 2 transfered BFN

FET#3: April 2021 1 transfered BFN

FET#4.1: May 2021 cancelled due to polyps (hysterscopy to remove polyps) 

FET #4.2: June 2021 cancelled due to double stripped lining

FET #4.3: July 2021 2 transferred BFP 43 1st beta 169 2nd beta 339 3rd beta 3600 First Ultrasound no heartbeat, second ultrasound no heartbeat MC at 8 weeks. 

 

Now a patient at Hannam Fertility 


#10 Thehappyvet

Thehappyvet
  • Member
  • 41 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:UK
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 10 January 2021 - 02:34 PM

Yes yes absolutely!!! Because it is also binding what is in writing. 

 

They need to give you some assistance I think with the travel, even if they don't do it as a service generally. That's why I'm considering the Cyprus one because they help you also with this.
And now with Covid I don't know if you need to do the procedure and stay longer but not in the clinic. And I am super stressed about choosing a place to stay because I'm very sceptical with the disinfection conditions. So if the clinic can suggest something then I am much more comfortable about the choice. Or maybe I am overthinking it? icon_speech_sigh.gif  

 

Negative Covid makes sense of course. But how about in the plane? Do you have to take one more there? And do they offer that or would you need to arrange one yourself?



#11 melissa87

melissa87
  • Global 100+
  • 441 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 10 January 2021 - 02:38 PM

Thats good questions I have no idea. Do you know when you come back to the UKdo you have quarantine ? I know In Canada we do

IVF #1: Oct 2018, 8 embryos all untested

FET #1: Jan 2019, 2 transfered, BFP 

DD Born Oct 2019

 

FET #2.1: July 2020 Cancelled due to fluid

FET#2.2: August 2020 Cancelled due to fluid (surgery to fix c section defect in Jan of 2020)

IVF#2: October 2020 5 embryos all untested

FET #2: March 2021 2 transfered BFN

FET#3: April 2021 1 transfered BFN

FET#4.1: May 2021 cancelled due to polyps (hysterscopy to remove polyps) 

FET #4.2: June 2021 cancelled due to double stripped lining

FET #4.3: July 2021 2 transferred BFP 43 1st beta 169 2nd beta 339 3rd beta 3600 First Ultrasound no heartbeat, second ultrasound no heartbeat MC at 8 weeks. 

 

Now a patient at Hannam Fertility 


#12 Thehappyvet

Thehappyvet
  • Member
  • 41 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:UK
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 10 January 2021 - 02:41 PM

Now I am in the UK and yes we are facing our 3rd lockdown! UGH!zjujfjf.gif



#13 melissa87

melissa87
  • Global 100+
  • 441 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 10 January 2021 - 03:33 PM

Is the virus getting worse ? It is here ! And it sucks

IVF #1: Oct 2018, 8 embryos all untested

FET #1: Jan 2019, 2 transfered, BFP 

DD Born Oct 2019

 

FET #2.1: July 2020 Cancelled due to fluid

FET#2.2: August 2020 Cancelled due to fluid (surgery to fix c section defect in Jan of 2020)

IVF#2: October 2020 5 embryos all untested

FET #2: March 2021 2 transfered BFN

FET#3: April 2021 1 transfered BFN

FET#4.1: May 2021 cancelled due to polyps (hysterscopy to remove polyps) 

FET #4.2: June 2021 cancelled due to double stripped lining

FET #4.3: July 2021 2 transferred BFP 43 1st beta 169 2nd beta 339 3rd beta 3600 First Ultrasound no heartbeat, second ultrasound no heartbeat MC at 8 weeks. 

 

Now a patient at Hannam Fertility 


#14 Thehappyvet

Thehappyvet
  • Member
  • 41 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:UK
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:39 AM

Yeah seems like this. It sucks terribly, that's true.

 

Let me know how your call went with the clinic in Spain!

Best of luck!!  crsd.gif crsd.gif crsd.gif



#15 melissa87

melissa87
  • Global 100+
  • 441 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 11 January 2021 - 11:17 AM

Thanks now Im all worried about travel restrictions. Will you go by yourself ? I want my Dh with me. Do you know if having a note from the clinic saying its a medical procedure is enough to get in ? I really want to go now and Im so worried about that

IVF #1: Oct 2018, 8 embryos all untested

FET #1: Jan 2019, 2 transfered, BFP 

DD Born Oct 2019

 

FET #2.1: July 2020 Cancelled due to fluid

FET#2.2: August 2020 Cancelled due to fluid (surgery to fix c section defect in Jan of 2020)

IVF#2: October 2020 5 embryos all untested

FET #2: March 2021 2 transfered BFN

FET#3: April 2021 1 transfered BFN

FET#4.1: May 2021 cancelled due to polyps (hysterscopy to remove polyps) 

FET #4.2: June 2021 cancelled due to double stripped lining

FET #4.3: July 2021 2 transferred BFP 43 1st beta 169 2nd beta 339 3rd beta 3600 First Ultrasound no heartbeat, second ultrasound no heartbeat MC at 8 weeks. 

 

Now a patient at Hannam Fertility 


#16 Thehappyvet

Thehappyvet
  • Member
  • 41 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:UK
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 14 January 2021 - 10:54 AM

Hey, I think that varies with the country. In Cyprus and Greece I think yes but I am not quite sure, in Spain I don't know for sure.

Also, these things change quite a lot and with a very short notice. 

 

No, I will take Dh with me, I really don't want to face this thing by myself. 

But did you talk with IVF Spain already? 

I'm sure they must know what paperwork is needed for this matter but I think if you have a valid reason like a medical procedure this should suffice. 

 

Did they advise you with the travel? Like where to stay and how to sort this?

 

Also I would suggest to ask them and check in Toronto as well if you need to go into quarantine before or after. This varies in Europe according to the country of origin. 



#17 neema

neema
  • Member
  • 6 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 10 February 2021 - 04:41 AM

Hi guys, im right now in India doing my first IVF cycle. It costed my 2000 cad including freezing the embryos for five months. I am originally from India but my husband got a medical visa to travel to India for two weeks. We opted to do it India considering the wait time in Canada. If you want to know more details, let me know

#18 happyfrog

happyfrog
  • Global 100+
  • 164 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Invicta

Posted 04 March 2021 - 11:17 AM

neema- I understand what you are feeling. In my clinic in Gdansk Poland I did not also have any waiting times, and I was absolutely happy  I could start my treatment when I needed. Good luck with your journey.



#19 Tasha_82

Tasha_82
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 28 May 2021 - 08:43 AM

Hey...and we decided to take the risks and try Ukraine..Savage poor country but with the huge variety of surrogacy clinics and agencies, the hardest part for us was to choose one among them. Our short list was  Biotexcom, Ilaya and WCOB. IIlaya - like a luxurious option, but too many red flags, WCOB's doctor were tired and nervous during our first online consultation, so our top pick became Biotexcom, despite its controversial reputation. The main thing for us was number of couples that are coming back again and again to bring home second, and even third baby..we've already signed the contract remotely, we are going to ship our embryo, and try to create some new in this    



#20 MayMai

MayMai
  • Member
  • 25 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 31 May 2021 - 08:35 PM

Hi Tasha_82

Can you tell me more about Biotexcom? I messaged you as well. Hope you don't mind.