#1 Daversons2018

Daversons2018
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Montreal Fertility Clinic

Posted 06 January 2021 - 09:02 PM

Hi all.

My wife and I have been trying to conceive via IUI (we are a same sex couple). We have had two failed attempts thus far and it has been hard to handle. Specifically, my wife has been stressed about letting me down and feels like a failure. We've had many discussions about this and she has been feeling a bit better lately, but any suggestions on how to reassure her? Or any recommendations on how to convince her that a failed attempt does not make her a failure? 

We decided to take a break from trying over the Christmas holidays - and just yesterday decided to take another month off for a mental break. 

#2 skylarg

skylarg
  • 26 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 07 January 2021 - 06:08 AM

Hi there! Happy new year to you and your family. It is definitely hard to manage such events. I think it's part of the cycle to feel as a failure as first. You can't blame the universe or something general so you blame yourself at first. I think you can be supportive of this phase, you can acknowledge it but not enable it. Communicate that this is something that isn't in your hands. There are external factors that define the outcome. Perhaps it'll help to list out all external factors together? And then discuss them together. Maybe that will help see things more rationally? 

#3 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3332 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 08 January 2021 - 03:48 PM

Hi all.

My wife and I have been trying to conceive via IUI (we are a same sex couple). We have had two failed attempts thus far and it has been hard to handle. Specifically, my wife has been stressed about letting me down and feels like a failure. We've had many discussions about this and she has been feeling a bit better lately, but any suggestions on how to reassure her? Or any recommendations on how to convince her that a failed attempt does not make her a failure? 

We decided to take a break from trying over the Christmas holidays - and just yesterday decided to take another month off for a mental break. 

I would really recommend counselling with someone who is experienced in infertility.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IUI, Same Sex