#1 MelissaS

MelissaS
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 29 November 2020 - 06:06 PM

Hey all

Im new to this forum & glad to be here
In a nutshell, Im aiming to start IVF early 2021, following 3 miscarriages in the last 3 years. My partner smokes marijuana and has done for years, which the doctor has advised he stops due to the impact on his sperm health.
Whilst he is in agreement I know this wont be an easy process for him.

Is there anyone who has experienced anything similar and/or had success with IVF despite the marijuana.

Any feedback/advise is welcomed x

#2 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3332 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 29 November 2020 - 07:27 PM

Though I have no experience with this, there are many medical articles confirming the negative impact on sperm count and quality with marijuana use. Although this does not mean that you cannot get pregnant, the IVF process is not only costly but also may be physically and emotionally hard to go through. Hence, if you do go through it, it would be good to give it the best chances possible. Since marijuana residuals can stay in your body for up to 2-3 months (or perhaps longer since he's been a long-time smoker), if your DH does go cold turkey, you still need to give yourself time before it is all out of his system.

I'm not sure whether you guys have had your workups before IVF (blood work for both and some imaging for you), but a good place to start would be to not just have your husband do a semen analysis, but also DNA fragmentation which is a lot more in-depth analysis of sperm quality rather than just a count. That way you also know where you stand.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but there are also studies out there that show that the male use of marijuana does increase the risk of miscarriage (https://womensmental...en-miscarriage/).

#3 Jerbitts

Jerbitts
  • 90 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 08 December 2020 - 11:47 PM

Welcome to the forum and good luck to you.