Laparoscopy for suspected endometriosis - IVF/FET/IUI Cycle Buddies - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Laparoscopy for suspected endometriosis

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Newtothis11

Newtothis11
  • Global 100+
  • 141 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 16 November 2020 - 07:26 AM

Can anyone share their experience with having a lap to clear out any endometriosis and what success or negative impact it had on them? My first doctor did not recommend it at all but my current doctor does recommend it so Im really confused! I have 4 frozen embryos and Im wondering if having the surgery before transferring will have any benefit?

#2 amazing grace

amazing grace
  • Global 100+
  • 740 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 01:47 PM

I know how difficult this process can be so I hope you know that you are not alone. I had three lap surgeries to remove endometriosis. The surgery wasn't that bad except for the incision near my belly button that hurt the most for all three surgeries. Too be honest it had no bearing on the outcome of my ivf cycles. My cycles either resulted in early miscarriages, failed FET's and I won't get into the others because it's just too painful to remember. After my first endo surgery, I got pregnant but it ended at five weeks. After my Second endo surgery, that was a failed. My third resulted in a miscarriage again. I know you probably are hoping that it will make a difference but in my case it didn't. Good luck with this new endeavor. 

#3 Newtothis11

Newtothis11
  • Global 100+
  • 141 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 10:58 PM

Amazing grace - sorry to hear about your negative experience with the surgeries. I ended up talking to my doctor and he said that the surgery has no impact on FETs so Im going to hold off on the surgery. Do you know what stage your endo was considered?

#4 Carter81

Carter81
  • Global 100+
  • 193 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Ottawa Fertility Clinic

Posted 18 November 2020 - 07:16 AM

My doctor is also on the side of not having a lap done. I am suspected of having endometriosis for years but she said there is no hard evidence that showing surgery would help me get pregnant (my eggs have already been ruled out so we are using donor eggs). She says that surgery would only be recommended if it is needed for symptom relief as it will grow back after the surgery and there is also a chance of scar tissue forming from the surgery which would add another issue. For now my symptoms are manageable so I have decided to follow my doctor's advice of no surgery...for now. Wishing you the best!

TTC since 2012

Me: 39 - DOR and endometriosis 

DH: 36

Jan 2015 - Oct 2016   IUI x 7 - BFN

Feb 2017   IVF - BFN

Jan 2018 - Mar 2018   IUI x 3 - BFN

Aug 2018   IVF - BFN

Mar 2019   Donor Egg Bank Assured Refund Program

July 2019   DE IVF unsuccessful (no embryos to transfer)

Mar 2020   DE IVF unsuccessful (transfer cancelled due to COVID-19 and no embryos to freeze)

Aug 2020   DE IVF - BFN

#5 Newtothis11

Newtothis11
  • Global 100+
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 08:31 AM

Carter81 - good to know there are others out there given the same advice! May I ask what city your clinic is in?

#6 Carter81

Carter81
  • Global 100+
  • 193 posts
  • My Clinic:Ottawa Fertility Clinic

Posted 18 November 2020 - 10:48 AM

I'm in St. John's, Newfoundland. I have also asked one of the REs while I was going to RFP in Calgary if he agreed with my doctor's view and he did. 

TTC since 2012

Me: 39 - DOR and endometriosis 

DH: 36

Jan 2015 - Oct 2016   IUI x 7 - BFN

Feb 2017   IVF - BFN

Jan 2018 - Mar 2018   IUI x 3 - BFN

Aug 2018   IVF - BFN

Mar 2019   Donor Egg Bank Assured Refund Program

July 2019   DE IVF unsuccessful (no embryos to transfer)

Mar 2020   DE IVF unsuccessful (transfer cancelled due to COVID-19 and no embryos to freeze)

Aug 2020   DE IVF - BFN

#7 Daisy.Eriksen

Daisy.Eriksen
  • Global 100+
  • 446 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:51 AM

Hi! I had a lap in Jan 2016, it was meant to be exploratory but they ended up removing some mild (stage 1 or 2) endo from my bladder while they were in there. The surgery was okay, I took a week off work, and felt fully recovered after about 6 weeks. First period after was horrible, but since then my periods have been generally much better. 

Another option for endo is to look into medical treatments, like Lupron depot shots or Orlissa. I did 4 monthly Lupron depot shots early this year (usually would be 3 but there was the shutdown during that time) because my dr wondered if the endo could have grown back. The med lowers estrogen so it slows the growth of endo. I took a progestin as add back therapy so the side effects of medical menopause weren't that bad. 

I'm not sure whether either or both have helped - I have been able to have some positive tests since each of those treatments, but no baby yet. 

Good luck!

• Carter81 likes this

TTC since 2013

Unsuccessful IVFs 2014-2016

Unsuccessful known egg donor cycle 2018

Donor Egg Bank Assured Refund plan 2019

Two unsuccessful DE transfers 2019

Unsuccessful DE transfer 2020

More about my journey in my profile