- - - - -

Bleeding at 6 weeks

26 replies to this topic

#1 Caroline2019

Caroline2019
  • 61 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 02 November 2020 - 12:31 PM

Hello, I did a fet transfer in October and Im now at 6 weeks today. Oct 28th, I had an ultrasound and everything looked great. Then I started bleeding and cramping in the afternoon. Based on what I saw (thought it was tissue) I was positive m I miscarried but then I went into the clinic Oct. 30th and the baby was good.. had grown, now had a heartbeat, no issues. So they said all was good and this can happen. I didnt get the best explanation but the scan showed everything was good.

Well today (Nov. 2) I am experiencing the same thing again.. bleeding, cramping. What is happening?! Waiting for the clinic to call back. Just looking to get any kind of feedback.. thanks.

#2 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3280 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 02 November 2020 - 01:13 PM

I had this for a big part of my pregnancy. Somewhere in the teens I had such a huge bleed (I'm talking a couple of cups of blood) that I knew for sure that I lost the baby. Although the birth came super early at 28+1, the bleeding was accounted to sub chorionic hematoma, which is more common in IVF pregnancies.

I'm not saying that things are guaranteed to be okay in the end as I would never want to give false hope, but you can still have big bleeds and come out with a baby in the end.

#3 Caroline2019

Caroline2019
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 02:08 PM

Thanks for letting me know. Yes, when I had that bleed last week and saw that my baby was growing and did so much in two days, I was so amazed... I expected to see everything gone.

Hoping for the same for this bleed but hoping to get some answers..

#4 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3280 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for letting me know. Yes, when I had that bleed last week and saw that my baby was growing and did so much in two days, I was so amazed... I expected to see everything gone.

There's really not a lot they can do unfortunately if it is a sub chorionic hematoma (SCH). A lot of times they will resolve on their own. Sometimes they don't and some women can bleed throughout pregnancy and unfortunately if it is severe enough the placenta may detach and you lose the baby. I am sorry if it is not what you want to hear, but again, in most cases SCHs do resolve on their own. Pregnancy is a harrowing time especially being attuned to every single thing when you have gone through the infertility journey.

#5 Daisy.Eriksen

Daisy.Eriksen
  • Global 100+
  • 438 posts

Posted 02 November 2020 - 09:09 PM

No experience here, but I am glad you shared - I've been thinking about you since I read about your bleeding last week. I hope the bleeding resolves soon or that it is something like a minor SCH. Keep us posted on how things go.

TTC since 2013

Unsuccessful IVFs 2014-2016

Unsuccessful known egg donor cycle 2018

Donor Egg Bank Assured Refund plan 2019

Two unsuccessful DE transfers 2019

Unsuccessful DE transfer 2020

More about my journey in my profile

#6 Caroline2019

Caroline2019
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 11:02 AM

There's really not a lot they can do unfortunately if it is a sub chorionic hematoma (SCH). A lot of times they will resolve on their own. Sometimes they don't and some women can bleed throughout pregnancy and unfortunately if it is severe enough the placenta may detach and you lose the baby. I am sorry if it is not what you want to hear, but again, in most cases SCHs do resolve on their own. Pregnancy is a harrowing time especially being attuned to every single thing when you have gone through the infertility journey.

For sure! Such a tough time bc every pregnancy is different. I need to get in a better mindset of not trying to predict what will happen bc I dont have much control of this. Im taking my medication and on pelvic rest.
Thanks for your help.

#7 Caroline2019

Caroline2019
  • 61 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 11:05 AM

No experience here, but I am glad you shared - I've been thinking about you since I read about your bleeding last week. I hope the bleeding resolves soon or that it is something like a minor SCH. Keep us posted on how things go.

Thanks Daisy. Ill add my updates! The bleeding has pretty much stopped and I am booked in for an ultrasound next Monday, they dont want me in any earlier based on my last ultrasound results and my hcg level was 12,000 on Friday.
  • Daisy.Eriksen likes this

#8 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3280 posts

Posted 03 November 2020 - 07:26 PM

Caroline, not sure where you are located, by the emergency room doctor that saw me after my big SCH said that studies have not shown that bed rest helps. I'm not sure whether that is universally accepted or not, but none of my doctors advised bed rest. It was just a wait and see, and there is really not much we can do approach. It was frustrating going through it, but also takes away any guilt.

#9 FingersCrossed#2

FingersCrossed#2
  • 13 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 04 November 2020 - 12:03 AM

@caroline2019; Im so glad to hear that they heard babys heartbeat at your ultrasound!! Praying that everything goes smoothly for you!!

#10 Jerbitts

Jerbitts
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 November 2020 - 11:18 PM

Sometimes bleeding occurs behind the conceptus inside the uterus (retrochorionic bleeding). Some blood will usually track down through the cervix and into the vagina.

#11 Caroline2019

Caroline2019
  • 61 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 02:15 PM

Update- I had an ultrasound and they found a subchorionic hemorrhage. Good news the baby is still growing and measuring well, they said the baby is not affected right now. Just need to keep watching it. It is large (3.5 x 4 cm) but she wasnt too concerned as long as things continue to look good for the baby. Ultrasound in 7-10 days. Ugh, still a bit stressful but at least I know why I was bleeding.
  • returnable and Daisy.Eriksen like this

#12 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3280 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 10:23 AM

So glad baby is okay. Yes it's not ideal, but hopefully it clears up on its own.

#13 DorothyandToto

DorothyandToto
  • Global 100+
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:My furry children, movies, Pilates, travel, cooking
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 08 November 2020 - 10:00 PM

Caroline-
I had two fairly decent bleeds...one at 6 weeks and another at 8 weeks. Baby stayed around and is now a healthy 2.5 month old. They were due to a SCH and they are so common that my fertility clinic has a handout ready for them. It has something to do with how the embryo is blown (for lack of a better descriptive) into the uterine wall during the embryo transfer versus the gentle tumble it takes in natural conception...at least that’s how my doctor described it.

Best of luck!
  • returnable likes this

#14 Caroline2019

Caroline2019
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 12:00 PM

So glad baby is okay. Yes it's not ideal, but hopefully it clears up on its own.

Thank you, I hope so too!
  • returnable likes this

#15 Caroline2019

Caroline2019
  • 61 posts

Posted 11 November 2020 - 12:02 PM

Caroline-
I had two fairly decent bleeds...one at 6 weeks and another at 8 weeks. Baby stayed around and is now a healthy 2.5 month old. They were due to a SCH and they are so common that my fertility clinic has a handout ready for them. It has something to do with how the embryo is blown (for lack of a better descriptive) into the uterine wall during the embryo transfer versus the gentle tumble it takes in natural conception...at least thats how my doctor described it.

Best of luck!

Thanks for letting me know, and that is very encouraging to hear they even had a handout ready. Ive read enough stories about it clearing up in its own.. just need to hope I have a story like that! I go back to my clinic Friday for an ultrasound.
  • returnable and DorothyandToto like this

#16 Liblikas

Liblikas
  • 17 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:NovaVita Tallinn

Posted 13 November 2020 - 05:19 AM

Hello @Caroline2019 - joining the convo here. How are things going on your end? 

I am a 6 weeks today also with some severe nausea and have been spotting with episodes of stronger bleeding at times for one week now - the doctor does not seem one bit concerned while I keep going to check on my hcg levels (which was at 20,000 on Monday) and testing again today. 

Going for my first ultrasound on Wednesday - hopefully the spotting/bleeding will be explained then.

#17 Caroline2019

Caroline2019
  • 61 posts

Posted 13 November 2020 - 02:28 PM

Hello @Caroline2019 - joining the convo here. How are things going on your end? 

I am a 6 weeks today also with some severe nausea and have been spotting with episodes of stronger bleeding at times for one week now - the doctor does not seem one bit concerned while I keep going to check on my hcg levels (which was at 20,000 on Monday) and testing again today. 
Going for my first ultrasound on Wednesday - hopefully the spotting/bleeding will be explained then.

Those levels sound very encouraging! Hope you get some answers and see that the baby is measuring right with the ultrasound. It really seems like it all depends on the ultrasound bc I bled quite a bit and had major cramping but was ok for the last 3 ultrasounds... definitely eases my mind a little. But.. I did find out the reason (SCH). Keep us posted. ox

AFM- I went for another ultrasound and the SCH is still there but smaller. The baby is measuring on track and heart rate was great. So they are happy with that. I go back now in 2-3 weeks to give it more time to check to see if things are good. Im still going to be cautious and I feel like I cant share any news that Im pregnant for awhile but holding onto hope!
  • Daisy.Eriksen likes this

#18 Liblikas

Liblikas
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 November 2020 - 12:46 AM

AFM- I went for another ultrasound and the SCH is still there but smaller. The baby is measuring on track and heart rate was great. So they are happy with that. I go back now in 2-3 weeks to give it more time to check to see if things are good. Im still going to be cautious and I feel like I cant share any news that Im pregnant for awhile but holding onto hope!

Wonderful news! Very happy to read the SCH seems to be making its way out and your baby is measuring fine and its heart sounds good.

Fingers crossed it is all going to be ok.

AFM, my hcg levels yesterday were about 47,000 which seems all fine so now waiting for the ulitrasound and hoping it will be all ok.

#19 FingersCrossed#2

FingersCrossed#2
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 04:21 PM

Just finished work and soaking through a pad with bright red blood :( so terrified and sad...going to emerg to confirm

#20 FingersCrossed#2

FingersCrossed#2
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 08:21 PM

Waiting for the report in emerg still but it looks like a subchorionic hemorrhage too!! I dont understand how there is so much blood !! Its so scary! But so happy and feel so nervous going forward! I had that with my son but not this large amount of bleeding! Praying for all of us and hope it resolves quickly!!

#21 Caroline2019

Caroline2019
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 09:21 PM

Waiting for the report in emerg still but it looks like a subchorionic hemorrhage too!! I dont understand how there is so much blood !! Its so scary! But so happy and feel so nervous going forward! I had that with my son but not this large amount of bleeding! Praying for all of us and hope it resolves quickly!!

Oh wow.. I definitely understand what you are going through! Seeing all of that blood is so scary. Definitely hoping for the best! The ultrasound is reassuring.

#22 FingersCrossed#2

FingersCrossed#2
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 10:44 PM

Ultrasound is definitely reassuring. Whats not is the continual bleeding. I wish it would stop. Hope youre doing and feeling well caroline2019!

#23 Caroline2019

Caroline2019
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:14 PM

Ultrasound is definitely reassuring. Whats not is the continual bleeding. I wish it would stop. Hope youre doing and feeling well caroline2019!

Mine is still there but not at bad as those two weeks where I had so much cramping and bleeding.. Week 5 and 6.

What they say to you? How big is the sch?
  • returnable likes this

#24 FingersCrossed#2

FingersCrossed#2
  • 13 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 07:16 AM

So glad yours is better!

Mine seems bigger than baby thus far, I dont remember exact measurements but roughly around 3x3.2x1.8. Not sure how big that it?

#25 Liblikas

Liblikas
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 12:16 PM

@FingersCrossed - glad to read you and baby are ok. When is your next ultrasound to see progress? Seing blood is indeed so scary. :(

@Caroline2019 - I remember you mentioning having to wait as well for next one in 2-3 weeks. When is it? 

AFM: went for first ultrasound today and saw a heartbeat and an embryon whose size corresponds to 6w 6d - exactly where I am at. :) First time in my life I carried a little one this far and could see it on the ultrasound - such a relief.

Re- light spotting that I have had for nearly 2 weeks now (with stronger flow at times), doc could not see anything and only suspects it might be due to the old endometrium cells being scratched away as embryo is making its way in. Fingers crossed.

Just hoping for all of us these bleeding/spotting episodes stop so we can all relax. 

By the way, I am also having uber strong nauseas (the whole day, literally starting 5min after I wake up) - anyone has a miracle remedy to at least alleviate it a bit? 

• returnable likes this