Success with IUI after 40

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Maybe

Maybe
  • 31 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 11 September 2020 - 11:44 PM

My REI recommends to try iui after failing several rounds of iVF and failed FET.

I am unsure if its worth it...why, in particular the hype the emotions. Would really appreciate the feedback!

#2 annatarz79

annatarz79
  • Global 100+
  • 250 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 12 September 2020 - 01:33 AM

Did he say why he things it is best for you? Maybe you should ask a second and third opinion.

#3 Maybe

Maybe
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 01:41 AM

Just because, No success after after 4 iVF cycles. As well, failed FET after ERA and receptiva test. She appeared frustrated with seeing another/fourth batch of abnormal embryos.. I feel like losing hope..

#4 Cotton2

Cotton2
  • 20 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 12 September 2020 - 04:25 PM

Honestly it sounds like a Hail Mary to me. If you didn't make good embryos for IVF I don't see why you would make them for IUIs. If she's talking about using injectable meds they're not that cheap either. 

#5 Maybe

Maybe
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 11:38 PM

So true! Thats exactly how I feel, but in desperation of hearing the news of abnormal embryos again, I went along with her suggestion of trying iui during post-iVF consultation.

I am just so distressed and cant decide which way to go.

I only did letrozole 2.5mg 3tabs (I know very high) daily for 5days, and now checking OPK daily with every other day intimacy and go for ultrasound on Monday .,, then pay for iui Which is $1400. Unsure, if its really high, but meds were cheap.

#6 BabyforQ

BabyforQ
  • Global 100+
  • 170 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Hannam

Posted 17 September 2020 - 12:23 PM

Hi Maybe, I also have not had any luck with IVF. I have had 4 retrievals in total, I did get 5 PGS normal embryos and one mosaic. All were transferred over the past 2 years and only one that implanted was the mosaic and I miscarried at 8 weeks. I can't see why another round of IVF would produce a different result if I had good embryos and did an ERA and varied protocols etc. 

I spoke to my Dr last week and she said I could also try IUI. It is $600 at our clinic. There's varied evidence on effectiveness - but I am thinking about giving it a try - I guess I have nothing to lose expect money and hope (lol). I have done 3 IUIs in the past 3 years, but my DD was conceived in 2015 doing an IUI so I guess you never know. My Dr also said that we could just do Letrozole and that the outcomes were just as good (which I'm not so sure about), but it is SOOOO much cheaper (I think $30). 

I totally understand the distress of getting abnormal embryos and having no way forward, but there's always a chance. I sometimes wonder if the abnormal ones could correct because its only a few cells (but I am NOT a Dr so what do I know!!). Also hard to know if IVF itself and the medications could be making embryos less viable. 

Either way - I totally feel your distress and confusion over IUI and whether it could work. I found this link that has lots of statistics if you're into that sort of thing. 

https://sites.google...i-success-rates

#7 Maybe

Maybe
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:46 PM

Thank you for kind words BabyforQ! I wish you the best!! This link was super helpful in clarifying a few facts.

I know my REI is super expensive. This is our second because we had such a bad experience with Kaiser in Sacramento, CA. I will keep my fingers crossed for you and myself, and actually everybody who is struggling to find success.

#8 Maybe

Maybe
  • 31 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:46 PM

Update: IUI resulted in negative.. yes! Hail Mary ...
I noticed a few things-
Femera 6mg/day was started on Day-6
It continued to cause breakthrough bleeding (soaking 1pad daily) until stopped on Day-10 (my REI had no clue why it was bleeding)
Trigger shot on Day-16
IUI on Day-18

I am just so blown away with above mentioned schedule. My REI has no concern even if I brought this to attention that my cycle schedule seems delayed at least by 3-4days.

Then the sample was asked to bring with me (an hour long drive) since DH was uninvited to the clinic.

If we closely read the link BabyforQ sent. It clearly mentioned (and makes total sense too) that insemination within 1hr (time from ejaculation to insemination) improves the outcome...

I cant believe, this IUI experience seems off and poorly scheduled on so many levels.

I would really appreciate the input who have had IUI experience.

Not saying that at 41, I would have gotten pregnant with iui but I feel there is clear negligence in scheduling properly and then, not paying attention to duration factor for iui..

Please weigh in!

Thanks!