To Transfer or Not to Transfer, that is the question - IVF Ages 35+ - Forums

Jump to content

- - - - -

To Transfer or Not to Transfer, that is the question

  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CharlieIVF

  • Member
  • 9 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 04 September 2020 - 10:23 AM

I am not sure what I am looking for in this question.  Like many of you, no one in my interpersonal relationships know I am under going fertility treatments and I am seeking opinions of individuals who have/are going through it and understand the stress, joy, and disappointment it can bring.  


In my years of fertility treatments I have completed 3 IUIs, 2 Full Stim Cycles (different doctors), 3 Mini Stims (new doctor) and out of my last two mini stims I received 4 blastocysts.  We had them tested and one came back normal.  I am beyond elated yet disappointed, everyone understands the mixed emotions.  I was told after the first two doctors who did my Full Stim cycles to do donor eggs.  We even attempted to do donor eggs, and we waited 5 months for this woman.  The day we were supposed to begin, she dropped out.  After that heartache I some how found my new and final doctor that was able to produce these current results.  No other doctor even got my eggs to become blastocyst.  


My doctor recommends doing more mini stim cycles to see if we can get more normal embryos.  He understands the name of this game, numbers! But, its my responsibility to take inventory on my emotional bank.  I am soooo tired, haha.  


Sorry, this is long, thank you for reading.  The question I am looking for your guidance on is this: would you do more cycles or roll the dice and transfer the one normal embryo? 



#2 Cotton2

  • Member
  • 35 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 04 September 2020 - 10:28 AM

If you're ok with only one kid, it makes sense to transfer. If you want more than one your eggs aren't getting younger. 

  • FuzzyDust likes this

#3 FuzzyDust

  • Member
  • 37 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Seattle, WA
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:SRM

Posted 04 September 2020 - 03:00 PM

Just as Cotton recommended - if you want one kid - definitely transfer!

If it doesn't work, then most likely you've only lost maybe 1-3 months of time before doing another cycle. if it does work (fingers crossed!!!!), then you save yourself an emotional and physical toll of another cycle.


On the other hand, if you know that you want to have more than one kid, it's a much harder decision. If this one works, then you're waiting for 1-2 more years before coming back for more cycles, and those are years added to your age by then. But then again - there is no guarantee with anything.


Good luck to you whichever path you chose!

Me: 37 DH: 45
I don't produce FSH, so no natural menstrual cycle. DH has reduced morphology.
Summer 2014 IUI (with first husband): cancelled after almost a month of stims due to too many follicles
Time off to divorce, get back on my feet, find a new hubby and get married again 💑
March 2017 IVF#1: ~70 follicles, 13R, 10M, 7F, 3B = 2 PGS Normal (both XY) - no transfer due to ohss
Sept 2017 FET#1: BFP, Beta#1 - 253, Beta#2 - 528, DS born 05/31/2018 👨‍👩‍👦
Dec 2019 FET#2: BFN
Changed clinic, planning March 2020 IVF#2 - postponed due to the pandemic
April 2020 IVF #2: ~30 follicles, 24R, 12M, 8F, 4B = 2XY & 2XX, all normal  heart.gif 
Sept 2020 FET#3: (one of the XX) BFP, Beta#1 - 161, Beta#2 - 519

#4 lenle

  • Member
  • 37 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 04 September 2020 - 04:02 PM

If it was me, I would do the transfer and the reason is you never know what could happen. Let me explain. I always wanted kids, when I was younger my dream was to have two, boy and girl. Now after few years of fertility treatments I would do anything to have just one. But I would not be willing to have more medical procedures than necessary because I know very well how things can go wrong (very wrong). My one and only egg retrieval ended in some serious complications that finally lead to my premature menopause.
So I would choose to transfer all good blastocysts before starting new cycle and hope it would be succesful. Only if it wasnt, then I would continue with the treatment imediately. Yes it would mean “loosing” maybe 1-2 months, but on the other hand avoiding unecessary procedures if the transfer was succes. I think our bodies are tired from all the hormones and procedures and stress associated with ivf and I want to minimize the potential risks as much as I can. With respect to my body and my future baby.

#5 happyfrog

  • Global 100+
  • 117 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Invicta

Posted 11 September 2020 - 12:54 PM

I am sorry you are going through this. If I were in your shoes, I would ask my doc about chances of getting pregnant with one embryo and via other cycles. I would also recommend asking for recommendations on how to boost your chances, e.g. combining IVF with PGS NGS, taking DHEA, and so on. All the best luck

#6 Thehappyvet

  • Member
  • 41 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:UK
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 10 January 2021 - 01:49 PM

Such a tough call, really. I'm so sorry for this.

But I also think the best to advise you on this is actually your doctor. And explain your doubts and fears about this.

But like @lenle wrote It's true that sometimes we think we should plan for two or three children but it is already so hard to have one.


Personally, I am looking into clinics that have really state of the art facilities and the best equipment and I hope this will somehow guarantee more my chances.


Honestly, the best of luck to you!