4 replies to this topic

#1 Misskika007

Misskika007
  • Global 100+
  • 176 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 03 September 2020 - 04:13 PM

Hi ladies,

Just wondering if anyone knows a bit more about the assisted hatching process. I was billed for AH during my egg retrieval cycle and I'm now being billed for it again for a FET. I thought AH was only done once? Note: I did have PGT-A testing, but not sure that would impact this? Any words of wisdom would put my mind at ease! :)

Thank you!

Me: 36, Hub: 36

TTC 4 years

3rd IVF cycle, 3rd FET-  BFP,  due June 1 heart.gif

#2 tsm37

tsm37
  • 56 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 03 September 2020 - 06:56 PM

Ummmmm. From what I learned through my wife's experience, whenever a PGS (PGT-A) occurs, the embryologist will need to poke a tiny hole on the embryo's outer shell so that some cells could be sucked out for genetic testing. Because of this hole, "hatching" blastocyst will likely occur. I saw this on the monitor for one of my embies, which is coming out of the outer shell. To me, it seems like PGS (PGT-A) should have AH taken care of. In AH, I thought the embryologist would just make a tiny hole but not taking cells out......

#3 BabyforQ

BabyforQ
  • Global 100+
  • 174 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Hannam

Posted 03 September 2020 - 09:39 PM

I had this on my bill too - but received a $500 refund cheque in the mail. I thought maybe because my embryo was already hatching. Definitely ask!!

Me: 39 DH: 41

Low Ovarian Reserve/Unexplained

Round #1

IUI Feb 2015 BFN

IUI with injectables Mar 2015 BFP!!! DD born Dec 2015

Round #2

Started TTC April 2017

IUI #1 Dec 2017 BFN

IVF #1 - 13 retrieved, one PGS normal embryo

FET #1 - March 2018, BFN

IVF # 2 - 11 retrieved, two PGS normal embryos

FET #2 - July 2018, BFN

FET #3 - Dec 2018, BFN
IUI #2 - March 2019, BFN

IUI #3 - June 2019, BFN

IVF#3 - 10 retrieved, one mosaic embryo

FET #4 - November 2019 BFP!!! MC 8 weeks +2

Switched Clinics

IVF #4 - 9 retrieved, two PGS normal embryos

FET #5 - June 2020, BFN

FET #6 - August 2020, BFN

Out of normal embryos and we've decided no more IVF. We will try IUI since it helped me conceive in 2015

IUI #4 November 2020

#4 Cotton2

Cotton2
  • 35 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 04 September 2020 - 11:26 AM

I don't know about AH but my clinic tried to bill us for surgical sperm retrieval when the province explicitly told me it is covered. 

#5 tsm37

tsm37
  • 56 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 30 October 2020 - 08:24 PM

Misskika007,

I think I have some new information for you. I spoke with an embryologist about this (because I'm curious). AH and PGS are two separate steps and there is a charge for each step. 

• Assisted hatching is usually done on day-3. The modern technique is to use laser to poke a hole on the zona, the outer layer of the developing embryo.
  • PGS usually takes place at the day-5 blastocyst stage. By day-5 (or even day-6), some cells will likely come out of the hole and the embryologist will suck a few cells out through the needle for biopsy. Those cells come from the trophectoderm layer of the blastocyst and not the cells that will eventually develop into a baby (the technical term is called ICM). During pregnancy, trophectoderm will develop into placenta in the uterus with a purpose to supply oxygen and nutrients and remove waste from the fetus during the 9-month period

Another interesting thing is that while the cells for PGS testing come from trophectoderm and not from the cells that will eventually develop into a fetus, they both share many things like DNA, chromosomes , etc. That's why study says that if the cells from the trophectoderm indicate abnormality, there is a high chance that the cells that will develop into a fetus will likely be abnormal. 

Back to your original question, it seems like there is no reason that your clinic charges AH twice?

Hope this helps.