40 DOR - 3 iuis - 1 ivf cancelled - poor responder - IVF Ages 35+ - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

40 DOR - 3 iuis - 1 ivf cancelled - poor responder

dor poor responder 40 years old

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 crumples

crumples
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 26 August 2020 - 08:55 AM

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. 

I did my first ivf cycle after 3 failed iuis. As the title says, I did not respond well to the protocol they had me on (12mcg rekovelle, 300 iu menopur, 3.33 mcg hgh) My baseline showed 3 follicles and my followup on day 6 showed a dominant follicle with two smaller ones. 

the doctor was pretty brutal and told me that another cycle would not yield different results. they gave me the option to keep going with the ivf but were very frank about the fact the chances of it working were abysmal. 

it was heartbreaking.  We converted the cycle in an IUI, and my partners numbers were not great, 6.5m post wash. this has also been a problem, his numbers have always been between 7 to 15 mil max. 

I am currently in my tww. 

I am not hopeful this will work so I am planning ahead. 

Mini IVF : I did some dr google research after the bad news, and I"m thinking of pushing to do a mini ivf protocol, which would hopefully yield a couple of follicles of better quality. I think this cycle we would be ready to go all the way and try to fertilize even if its only two follicles. its a hail Mary for us. 

Donor eggs : Our clinic/hospital works with shady Groves in the USA. I got an idea of the cost of everything and it would take out all of our savings and we are not ready to do this. we keep saving and maybe we will be able to do it in a year or so.

Donor eggs abroad : its my understanding that the cost would be lower, as anyone gone through it and would be confortable giving me a breakdown of cost or where to find such information?

adoption : this would take more years and Im open to it, but I think its going to be kid number 2. 

In the meantime, this is what I have been doing for the past 6 months at least :

prenatal multivitamins

vitamin d

folate

coq 10

Ive just added vitamin c although I get plenty through my diet

no alcohol

2 teas a day max

my partner :

fertilaid for men 

coq 10

he doesn't drink much, maybe a beer every two weeks, so Im not worried about that. 

cut down on caffeine but again was drinking maybe two tea/coffee a day. 

He just started adding folate, vitamin D, vitamin C this week, I read a study about vit c increasing volume of semen. I might be wrong. 

this week I asked him to stop taking hot steamy showers (i dint realize how hot they were)

hes wearing loose underwear or no underwear (yay working from home)

im trying to convince him to ice them 20mn a day but he will need the doctor to convince him if its necessary. 

I dont know what i am looking for here. maybe some advice and commiseration. Is there anything else we can do, I know my numbers wont go up, but maybe we can work on my partners numbers?

40s - DOR - Poor responder - 3 iuis - 1 ivf converted to iui. 

#2 smiley

smiley
  • 25 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 27 August 2020 - 01:12 PM

Hi crumples, I'm so sorry about what you are going through. My experience is not quite the same but I had a failed IUI this month. My hubby's numbers were way lower than yours but still above the cut off to do an IUI. You can find additional info in the cycle buddies section in "August IUI". 

I did IVF in the past and have a couple of embryos I'm hoping to transfer at the of September. I'm transferring both one good and one not so good. My only chance at the moment. if nothing else I'll have to do another IVF cycle maybe next year and time is ticking :( 

Take heart this maybe your successful one and try to not to obsess about testing like I did in my 2ww :) 

#3 annatarz79

annatarz79
  • Global 100+
  • 250 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 27 August 2020 - 10:49 PM

Hi!! My advice is to keep a clear head and trust your gut. I am a poor responder with a history full case of chemicals. My gut told me to change clinics. Still a poor responder different protocols different meds still a poor response but I didn't give up and my last IVF round produced only two eggs both fertilised with low quality sperm and one of them is sleeping at the age of three next to me. After my first I had a suprise pregnancy at the age of 41 with baby n2. So don't give up. We never know how each round works. Donor eggs are free in Greece you only pay for donors meds and the rest, a friend of mine did spend around 5k for the whole transfer accommodation doctors etc. Adoption is free with foster care in many states. I wish you the best of luck as this journey is difficult on many levels.

#4 Patty1

Patty1
  • 33 posts
  • My Clinic:n/a

Posted 28 August 2020 - 09:17 AM

Sorry you are wrong donors in Greece are compensated it may not be much but the are paid that is what 2 clinics in Greece who provided this information just recently.  Who would donate without being compensated for there time and effort?  They would definitely not be Greek donors but foreigners who are in Greece. 

#5 annatarz79

annatarz79
  • Global 100+
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 05:57 AM

Sorry you are wrong donors in Greece are compensated it may not be much but the are paid that is what 2 clinics in Greece who provided this information just recently.  Who would donate without being compensated for there time and effort?  They would definitely not be Greek donors but foreigners who are in Greece.

I am Greek it was suggested that I should use donor eggs and the only payment I had to make was for their stimulation meds. If your clinic asked for money in Greece than change them or check again what you have been asked to pay

#6 Patty1

Patty1
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 09:52 AM

I am Greek it was suggested that I should use donor eggs and the only payment I had to make was for their stimulation meds. If your clinic asked for money in Greece than change them or check again what you have been asked to pay

More then one clinic said this anyways I can not imagine a donor donating for free definitely she would not be Greek but a foreigner. The fee was reasonable for the donor even with the fee for the donor. 

#7 annatarz79

annatarz79
  • Global 100+
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 10:38 AM

More then one clinic said this anyways I can not imagine a donor donating for free definitely she would not be Greek but a foreigner. The fee was reasonable for the donor even with the fee for the donor.
I just called my physician and confirmed that donations are free. You pay for the meds. Foreigners?? Fyi. You are in a Canadian forum talking about donations abroad...

#8 Patty1

Patty1
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 10:50 AM

I am Greek. The donors are most definitely not Greek but foreigners (Bulgarian, Albanian etc who are in Greece)  I don't think a Greek would donate for free.  Now do I trust the 2 clinics that told me this yes I do.  Why would you expect a Greek women to donate for free and not receive some sort of compensation it does't have to be much.

I just called my physician and confirmed that donations are free. You pay for the meds. Foreigners?? Fyi. You are in a Canadian forum talking about donations abroad...

#9 annatarz79

annatarz79
  • Global 100+
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 12:38 PM

I am Greek. The donors are most definitely not Greek but foreigners (Bulgarian, Albanian etc who are in Greece)  I don't think a Greek would donate for free.  Now do I trust the 2 clinics that told me this yes I do.  Why would you expect a Greek women to donate for free and not receive some sort of compensation it does't have to be much.

in Greece donations are closed. You do not get to meet or know any information on your donors. Patty1 you can pay for your egg of unknown origin and you can let the rest of us get one for free despite their origin....The only think known about the donors are some medical information.

#10 Patty1

Patty1
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 01:39 PM

in Greece donations are closed. You do not get to meet or know any information on your donors. Patty1 you can pay for your egg of unknown origin and you can let the rest of us get one for free despite their origin....The only think known about the donors are some medical information.

I am aware the donors in Europe are anonymous except in the UK where you can find a known donor and Portugal  the child can contact the donor at 18 years old. What I am saying is no one in Greece donates for free my clinic contact emailed me the clinic is in Athens donors are compensated approximately 1000 euros which makes sense no one will donate for free without something in it for them.   What is the big  deal if a donor is compensated why do you take offense ? 

• annatarz79 likes this

#11 annatarz79

annatarz79
  • Global 100+
  • 250 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 02:11 PM

Patty1 i do not take any offence on the compensation i just don't believe it.i do take offense on your comment about the foreigners but this is not the place to argue on this. Donation and donors should not be paid since it is a donation. I have asked three people already and none of them paid for their donors. What they paid is their medication, testing and collection. If I could donate I wpuld have done it for free. Maybe you can check Thessaloniki and Chania foema quotation

#12 Patty1

Patty1
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 02:23 PM

Patty1 i do not take any offence on the compensation i just don't believe it.i do take offense on your comment about the foreigners but this is not the place to argue on this. Donation and donors should not be paid since it is a donation. I have asked three people already and none of them paid for their donors. What they paid is their medication, testing and collection. If I could donate I wpuld have done it for free. Maybe you can check Thessaloniki and Chania foema quotation

I have contacted 2 clinics in Thessaloniki 1 in Athens all said donors are compensated. If you were in a position to donate for free that is great but many in Greece are not in that position and  it makes no sense to donate for free without some kind of compensation for a person's time and efforts. What  is wrong with being compensated everyone has to make a living and pay expenses egg donors are no different.  

Read this 

http://greeknewsonde...stry-in-europe/

#13 happyfrog

happyfrog
  • 84 posts
  • My Clinic:Invicta

Posted 30 August 2020 - 10:05 AM

I have contacted 2 clinics in Thessaloniki 1 in Athens all said donors are compensated. If you were in a position to donate for free that is great but many in Greece are not in that position and  it makes no sense to donate for free without some kind of compensation for a person's time and efforts. What  is wrong with being compensated everyone has to make a living and pay expenses egg donors are no different.  

Read this 

http://greeknewsonde...stry-in-europe/

Agreed, more than that you spend your time visiting the clinic several times, and that should also be compensated.

• Patty1 likes this

#14 Patty1

Patty1
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 10:53 AM

Here is proof that donors in Greece are compensated : from The Greek National Authority of Assisted Reproduction:

Greek law says that an ovum donor would receive 1,200 euros for a complete fertility cycle and the interested couple has to cover all examination expenses. The accepted age for ovum donors is 19-35, while at the same time they have to be healthy, non-smokers and have no family history of illnesses. Also, they cannot donate fertility eggs more than 10 times.

#15 Jerbitts

Jerbitts
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:55 PM

I hope you get some relevant and helful answers here. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dor, poor responder, 40 years old