12 replies to this topic

#1 aish

aish
  • Just Hatched
  • 5 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 15 August 2020 - 04:20 PM

Hello All,

I have been on Natural Conception program (NCP) for last 5 months and this month my clinic (prominent clinic in Toronto) suggested that I should try doing IUI. There has not been any ultrasound scheduled for this month. I have to look at the Clearblue Ovulation kit for signs of ovulation. Then inform the clinic for intrauterine insemination. This process is very weird because I get positive sign on Clearblue for a week before and after ovulation. I'm not sure how clinic is timing insemination at the time of ovulation without ultrasound, especially when they took ultrasound when I was in NCP. Is this how IUI is done during COVID lockdown in other clinics ? Can someone please share their experience ?

#2 smiley

smiley
  • 25 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 15 August 2020 - 04:56 PM

Hi Aish,

I just had an IUI 4 days ago. My experience was very straightforward as there was no ovarian stimulation prior. I monitored my cycle and on CD 13 I started testing with the ClearBlue ovulation kit. As soon as it detected my luteinizing hormone (LH) surge (which was the evening of CD13) I called the clinic on the morning of CD14 when ovulation was to happen and went in for the IUI. In other words, I did not need an ultrasound to detect ovulation but before doing the IUI my RE checked the ovaries and found that I had just ovulated a few hours before. 

As for you situation getting a positive LH surge a week before and after ovulation hmmm... I don't know. The ovulation kit is supposed to detect LH surge which occurs about 24 hours before ovulation and then stops after another 12 hours or so. I would call the clinic to ask them about the right kit to use. My RE always tells me to use the ClearBlue kit and prefers the one with the pink tip not the purple one. Perhaps the kit you used is defective? Do you see the smiley face every day for a week? When is your CD1 supposed to be? 

I'm now in my 2WW which is driving me crazy. If this doesn't work then I may have to do IVF. 

#3 aish

aish
  • Just Hatched
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 05:35 PM

Hello smileydaisies,

Thank you for replying. I get a faint line in the OPK test for about 2 weeks after my period is over. I usually use the cheapies but this time since the clinic isnt monitoring my ovulation, I checked with the Clearblue Purple OPK from CD9. Today is my CD12 and I still get a faint line. I guess I would probably ovulate in 2-3 days. Also, since I have PCO, the LH is often high throughout the cycle :(

(Last cycle I ovulated on CD15 night or CD16 morning). 

When I was in the natural conception program, the clinic monitored my follicles everyday until I ovulate. But now when I opted for IUI, they did not take any tests (blood & ultrasound) to make sure everything is fine. I'm wondering if this is how usually they do IUI??

Although I see clear stretchy CM around the time of ovulation, am not confident this time, because I actually cant indicate when I really ovulate :( 

So, you said you ovulated when you were in the clinic, did they anyway do the IUI? 

Is this your first IUI? 

#4 MissHelen

MissHelen
  • 7 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 15 August 2020 - 06:04 PM

Hi aish, I just did an IUI last month and I was monitored pretty closely with ultrasounds and bloodwork, but I was on letrozole. With a natural IUI they usually just go by OPKs. If you are getting a faint line on your OPK that is a negative result. A positive is when the test line is as dark as or darker than the control line. A positive OPK usually indicates ovulation in 24-36 hours. Have you been diagnosed with PCOS? That can cause false positives on OPKs so they aren’t usually recommended for patients with PCOS.

smileydaisies, FX the IUI worked for you!

Me: 34 DH: 34

TTC since 9/2018

Dx: MFI

10/19: First RE visit

2/20: DH had surgery for bilateral varicoceles

7/20: IUI with 5 mg letrozole- BFN

9/20: IVF

#5 smiley

smiley
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 07:56 PM

aish, in my case they didn't need to monitor because it was all natural. The RE went ahead with the IUI even though I had ovulated the presumption was that I was still within the fertilization window of up to 12 hours so. We will have to see if that was the case or if the sperm were too slow to get to the egg within that window. This is my first IUI. Because my infertility is male factor if it doesn't work I'll move to IVF.  I don't know much about PCOS so can't offer any thoughts on that. I agree with misshelen that the OPK should show a robust line. The kit I use shows a smiley face. Is this your first? 

misshelen, thanks for the kind words. Did you wait until your aunt Flo came or did you POAS before? If you POAS'ed when did you do it? 

#6 MissHelen

MissHelen
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 09:47 PM

Smileydaisies, I POAS at 10 dpo (which was a mistake!) and then just waited for my beta at 13 dpo. The best advice I got in this process is to pick a certain day to test as close to AF as possible and make sure you don’t have anything planned that day. That way, you have that day set aside to either celebrate or deal with the difficult feelings that may come up.

We are dealing with male factor as well. Unfortunately with our IUI, DH’s counts were really low so our RE recommended we move on to IVF for our next cycle, since IUI isn’t likely to work for us. How were your H’s numbers for your IUI (if it’s okay to ask)? 

TTC since 9/2018

#7 smiley

smiley
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 08:59 AM

I'm so nervous that I'm not feeling anything. Maybe this IUI hasn't worked sad.png I know it is too early but still worried. My DH's numbers have been fluctuating a lot. He had such low numbers and low motility in March but this August he was so much better (but still nowhere near a healthy male) that's why RE recommended IUI. Pre-wash he had 22 million and post-wash he had 4 1/2 million. Whether any of them reached the egg is my biggest fear sad.png

How about yours? 

#8 MissHelen

MissHelen
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 10:06 AM

My DH’s fluctuate a lot too. 2 months before IUI he had his best count ever at 56.6 mill/mL so we were really hopeful. He’s usually much lower but he had a varicocelectomy in February, so we thought that improved things. For our IUI, pre-wash was 25 mill/mL with just 20% motility so we ended up with 0.4 mill after wash. They wanted to see at least 1 mill to have a chance which is why we are on to IVF now. It’s too early to know if your IUI worked or not so try not to fall down that rabbit hole. GL getting through the rest of your TWW! Hope you have lots of ways to stay busy!

TTC since 9/2018

#9 smiley

smiley
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 07:45 AM

I could not stop myself anymore I tested today at 8DPO and it's a BFN :( 

#10 aish

aish
  • Just Hatched
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 August 2020 - 08:12 PM

Hi Everyone,

I had my IUI today. I thought the doctor/nurse would do a transabdominal ultrasound to find out how the follicles are and also to see which side I ovulated this cycle. To my surprise, they did not perform any tests and directly went to the Insemination procedure. 

I even asked the nurse why they haven't performed ultrasound this time and she told that this is how they do in Covid situation. 

Also, when my husband went to drop off the sample at the Andrology lab, they mentioned that they might have given us a room for collecting the semen sample, if we called earlier. But when we called the clinic's reception earlier to ask if they would provide us a room for collecting the sample, they said they are not providing that facility now, during the pandemic which is contradictory. 

I thought I would have more knowledge about my own body and how IUI is going to better my chances of getting pregnant (similar to what is shown on this video https://www.youtube....h?v=Nt27k1aUYho ) but my experience was dismal.

Is this how your clinic also performed the IUI/IVF without proper evaluation/monitoring tests?

#11 smiley

smiley
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 08:54 AM

aish, so sorry that your experience was suboptimal. I don't know how your clinic operates but mine in the US looked at the ovaries. I had already felt which side I was going to ovulate from so this was a just a confirmation by my doctor. My clinic also provides a room for specimen collection in fact, they discourage collecting at home to minimize time between collection, preparation and insemination. But then again, I'm in a small town and the clinic is not inundated with patients. 

Even with all these somewhat optimal conditions - insemination done almost at around the time I had ovulated, having a decent post-wash specimen, all of it seems to not have worked for me. I took another test today at 9DPO and nothing at all not even a faint line. Only 4 more days before AF and I'm not optimistic at all. Yours may work even with the not so great experience you had. How old are you? Age really matters and also depends on whether your DH's specimen was decent. 

Good luck to you. 

• aish likes this

#12 aish

aish
  • Just Hatched
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 August 2020 - 11:08 AM

Hi Smileydaisies,

Firstly, please don't force yourself to test everyday. I know it's hard to restrict ourselves to know the result but it seems to be stressful.

I am 28 yrs old and my DH has a pretty good count and motility post wash. Here in Canada, the nurse told that this is how they operate during the pandemic. I even had a word with my family doctor to suggest a different clinic as this clinic would try to push us to IVF if this cycle does not turn to be positive. We do not want to got to IVF because I have a strong feeling that I can get pregnant with minimal intervention since I have good hormonal levels and other factors. The only thing I am doubtful is about the Right Paraovarian Cyst that I have been diagnosed and how to cure it asap.

#13 aish

aish
  • Just Hatched
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 August 2020 - 10:56 PM

Hi Everyone,
I had my trigger shot on Aug 18 at 9PM and IUI on Aug 19th,2020. I am currently in my TWW and its breaking my head. So, here's the thing. I am having brown and sometimes light red blood spotting from yesterday - 9dpo(Aug28) and today too. Along with this, I am experiencing mild cramps on the left abdomen and lower hip pain too.
I took a hpt today afternoon & got a faint positive line. Is this a good sign? Am confused. Please let me know your valuable thoughts.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IUI