Help!! Dr lowered my dose of Gonal F and I'm scared - IVF Ages 35+ - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Help!! Dr lowered my dose of Gonal F and I'm scared

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 islandecho

islandecho
  • 41 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 25 June 2020 - 02:56 PM

I had a scan yesterday which was day 8 on stims so I've done 9 days as of today.  Gonal f 300 and menopur 150.  Aside from my lead follicle which is a monster, my others are all falling right together between 10-12 with 2 at 8mm. I have a total of 17 follicles.  My estrogen came back above what they'd expect at the END of stimulation and my dr called me today to drop my gonal f in half.  I'm really nervous that the other little ones will stop growing.  Can someone please offer experience or what I should think right now.  I'm very concerned and have to wait til tomorrow for another scan and blood work.  

#2 islandecho

islandecho
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 03:46 PM

anyone? 

#3 amazing grace

amazing grace
  • Global 100+
  • 735 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 25 June 2020 - 04:49 PM

Follow your doctor's orders. Those little ones should have shown progress by now. I know it's scary but you are not in a position to not follow orders. 

#4 islandecho

islandecho
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 05:17 PM

Follow your doctor's orders. Those little ones should have shown progress by now. I know it's scary but you are not in a position to not follow orders. 

dear lord, no one said anything about not following orders.  I def will. Just wondering if anyone had experience or insight. 

#5 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 361 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 26 June 2020 - 04:45 AM

Mama don't worry at all. The same exact thing happened to me but I had fewer follicles. I asked about the lowered dose and she said something about it helps with maturity (maybe not over maturing the eggs?). I ended up having a great cycle. REs are nerds and very numbers oriented; they know what they're doing. You also don't want to end up hospitalized with OHSS trying to chase down that last egg. It's not worth it.

• annatarz79 likes this

#6 islandecho

islandecho
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:24 PM

Mama don't worry at all. The same exact thing happened to me but I had fewer follicles. I asked about the lowered dose and she said something about it helps with maturity (maybe not over maturing the eggs?). I ended up having a great cycle. REs are nerds and very numbers oriented; they know what they're doing. You also don't want to end up hospitalized with OHSS trying to chase down that last egg. It's not worth it.

Thank you!! I just got home from a very long apt, more follicles are in the game than they thought or saw Im not sure but the dr said he may have missed some smaller ones that are growing fast and thats why my estrogen is off the chart. Im now at risk of ohss, have to stop gonal f altogether tonight, go back tomorrow and have bloodwork done again in an outside lab prior to tomorrow morning scan. They also put me on blood thinners (I have a clotting disorder that Ive never had complications with) as a precaution. They said because Im not doing a fresh transfer and they prob wouldnt let me anyways I shouldnt get too ill but theyre watching closely now :S I took the day off work to relax and surprisingly I still feel great, I have about 20 follicles and about 5 that are too small to be concerned about but are going to keep growing.

#7 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 361 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 02:23 PM

You will probably end up over stimmed at least somewhat but they really have to be cavalier with the meds to put you in the hospital, which it sounds like they're not. Just be prepared to feel like a truck ran you over for a few days after. The day they take your eggs will be like 2 years of ovulations in 20 minutes plus the anaesthesia. I'm glad you've put the fresh transfer to rest, that is really for the best. I had a FET and had a healthy baby from the first try. Make sure your clinic lets you know what symptoms should have you come back to be evaluated. You don't want to end up in the emergency room at 2am with OHSS because that is pretty far outside what ER docs are experienced with.

#8 islandecho

islandecho
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 04:22 PM

Oh frick ok thanks for the advice. Ill be prepared as I can be now. Im 39 so they prob wouldnt expect me to overstim even though my amh last December was 42.6 (6ng/ml).
I just got my second bloodwork results back, 25720, which is just over 7000 depending on what unit of measurement. Im actually a bit nervous now. Thats high! :S

#9 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 361 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 06:39 PM

"overstimmed"/OHSS is a spectrum. You might just feel crummy and be sore for a week or so.

I don't remember my estrogen number, it was moderately high. My stomach felt sore so I went in to the clinic for an ultrasound and they said I wasn't OHSS. I don't know what their criteria is but I think it has to do with how much free fluid is in your stomach. I had fluid but not enough to meet the official diagnosis. BTW I supposedly had low AMH and I think I was still "overstimmed". That's not really a good term for it because whipping your ovaries with drugs will of course overstimulate them.

Just definitely do not do a fresh transfer, if you got pregnant for sure you would be very sick.