Empty follicles help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 N1111

N1111
  • 83 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 21 June 2020 - 08:21 PM

So I did my retrieval Yesterday and it resulted in two eggs being retrieved out of nine follicles that were seen On the ultrasound. I dont know what happened to this cycle as I have never had a response like this. Out of the two eggs only one was mature and the other was super small. The ultrasound showed that I would have had 3-4 mature ones. I dont know what happened.y doctor has switched my protocol and maybe that is why I had such a shitty response. Has anyone had this happen?

#2 IreneT

IreneT
  • 51 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:former: Heartland, current: Victoria

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:41 AM

My first cycle when I was 33, I had seven follicles and they retrieved one egg. We were doing IVF for male factor and all my tests had come back perfect. It was devastating. (I got pregnant but lost it at seven weeks.) The clinic said the cycle was perfect for me and that my body was special and would never produce a lot of eggs. They even suggested maybe I didnt ovulate on my own, despite all the tests showing I did. I asked about changing things in my protocol, but they refused everything I asked about. They wanted to increase my stim dose and do the exact same thing again. This did NOT sit right with me so I did a consultation at another clinic. Without me even asking, that doctor recommended almost all the things that I had asked about at the first clinic and been denied. He switched me to an antagonist protocol, reduced the menopur dose and added in gonal-f. (At the first clinic I stimmed with JUST menopur.) He also put me on letrazole during stims to keep my estrogen from getting too high. It took 11 days to stim instead of eight. He used a double trigger. I took DHEA and supplements like CoQ10 and vitamin D, following his recommendations. They got 23 eggs, 22 mature. We still only ended up with three blasts because we lost most of them after day 3, which suggests it was due to male factor. But Ive had two successful single embryo transfers from that batch, with the third one still frozen. (Another issue was that the first clinic could only reach one ovary. It only had two of the seven follicles though, so it wouldnt have changed much. The second clinic said theyd go through my uterus if they had to in order to reach both ovaries, but they didnt have to.) Happy to talk more if you need. So sorry for your bad experience.

IVF#1 (April 2017): retrieved one egg, fresh 3-day transfer, missed miscarriage around 7 weeks, D&C

IVF#2 (Sept 2017): retrieved 23 eggs, 22 mature, 18 fertilized, 3 frozen on day 5, no transfer

FET#1 (Nov 2017): one grade 3 blast (upgraded to grade 2 at transfer), first β-HCG of 751 at 12dp5dt, delivered my son at 39w6d by unplanned c-section

FET#2 (Feb 2020): one grade 2 early blast, first β-HCG of 480 at 11dp5dt. 7w3d ultrasound showed embryo measuring 7w2d with a heart rate of 153. Heart rate at 12w5d: 148, at 16w4d: 147

#3 Newtothis11

Newtothis11
  • 87 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:29 PM

I went through this my first cycle of IVF. I had 25+ follicles all of good/mature size, but I only got 12 eggs, so a lot of them were empty. I'm still not sure what happened to cause it.