Fresh/frozen embryo transfer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 N1111

N1111
  • 84 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 19 June 2020 - 10:35 PM

I have my egg retrieval tomorrow and Im still up in the air whether or not I want to do fresh or frozen transfer. My doctor recommends frozen transfers so I dont know what to do. Any suggestions

#2 Maybe

Maybe
  • 31 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 19 June 2020 - 10:52 PM

Are you not planning on getting pgt done?

Either way, data shows FET has better outcome. Depending on you history, lining, ERA test, all can contribute to help you determine the best way for you to proceed with.

#3 N1111

N1111
  • 84 posts

Posted 19 June 2020 - 11:23 PM

Ok thank you... I am not doing PGS testing. He prefers frozen but I am unsure of what to do. He doesnt usually do ERA tests so I dont know much about it.

#4 returnable

returnable
  • 1000+
  • 3241 posts
  • Interests:travelling,gardening,cooking
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Trio, cycle monitoring at Lakeridge

Posted 20 June 2020 - 08:32 AM

Either way as Maybe notes frozen transfers tend to have higher chances of success as your body can be optimized for transfer rather than hurrying from an egg retrieval.

#5 N1111

N1111
  • 84 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 08:45 AM

Does freezing the embryo affect the quality

#6 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 361 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 20 June 2020 - 10:18 AM

Frozen is better if you are young, you had a good response, made a good number of eggs and your estrogen was high. The high estrogen is not good for the endometrial lining, it causes low birth weight in the baby and other problems. If your estrogen was high and you get pregnant off a fresh transfer you can be sick with ovarian hyperstimulation syndrome your whole first trimester.

Fresh is better if you made only a few low quality embryos. Freezing can harm lower quality embryos.

I am expecting any day now from a FET. I took off two periods and I had a "great" lining, got pregnant on the first embryo transfer.

I would probably go with what your RE recommends. Knowing what I know about IVF, I would only do a fresh transfer if I got 1-2 low quality embryos. I think alot of women are at least a touch hyperstimulated simply from the action of the meds and would benefit from taking a month off.

#7 N1111

N1111
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 01:29 PM

He is prepping me for fresh in case I need to do this but my ultimate goal is frozen. I unfortunately only got one embryo. I am pretty dissappointed. I am planning on doing another cycle though. I may freeze and do another one. I will do a fresh if embryo isnt developing well or may not make the freeze.

#8 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 361 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 03:58 PM

If you want 2 or more kids and you have the means its definitely smart to do another cycle. I have read that doing cycles back to back can make the 2nd cycle better because it benefits from the meds from the prior cycle

#9 yaenaSK

yaenaSK
  • Global 100+
  • 969 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Aurora

Posted 21 June 2020 - 04:29 PM

Solid advice from the ladies here! In the end, depending on the freezing techniques used and your physical condition following the IVF cycle, both have their advantages and disadvantages.

My first IVF cycle, I conceived following a fresh transfer. I had three embryos (none tested, as my clinic does not do the testing in house). The two we froze did not result in pregnancies. At that time (2017) my clinic used an older method of freezing as well. I had no complications during the pregnancy from hormone levels, after having had a fairly low response to stims (at 35 years old).

Second round of IVF was much harder. Higher response, higher estrogen levels. I wish I had decided to wait for a frozen transfer to give myself time to heal, but did not. That cycle resulted in six embryos (again not tested). That fresh transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy. Freezing techniques at my clinic had been upgraded though. Our first frozen transfer was not a success, but the second was.

This said - early pregnancy after any ART can be difficult, because unless you're doing a natural FET (no meds), you have extra hormones pumping around in your system that can make the early days a little more challenging. Totally worth it, but something to be aware of (as just like IVF meds, FET meds can mimic pregnancy symptoms).

Me: 38

DH: 43

June, July, Aug, Sep 2016: IUI. All BFN.

January 2017: IVF #1. 7 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized. 1 transferred on day 5 - BFP! DD born 10/08/17. heart.gif (2 embryos frozen)

Nov 2018: FET #1. 1 transferred. Chemical pregnancy.

Dect 2018: FET #2. Last embryo transferred. BFN.

April 2019: IVF #2. 16 eggs retrieved, 11 fertilized. 1 transferred on day 5 (5 frozen). Chemical pregnancy again.

Aug 2019: FET #3. 1 transferred - BFP!  Lost HB at 9 week U/S. MMC.  cry.gif

Nov 2019: FET #4. 1 transferred - BFP again! DD due Aug 6/20

#10 N1111

N1111
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 08:13 PM

If you want 2 or more kids and you have the means its definitely smart to do another cycle. I have read that doing cycles back to back can make the 2nd cycle better because it benefits from the meds from the prior cycle

#11 N1111

N1111
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 08:13 PM

They said I would have to wait one period and then I could start again. I think he would change the protocol though

#12 Cotton

Cotton
  • Global 100+
  • 361 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 08:57 PM

They said I would have to wait one period and then I could start again. I think he would change the protocol though

That sucks. My RE would have let me do 2 back to back, and I had moderately high estrogen. Maybe you can argue for back to back cycles because you had a low response and are not likely to overstim?

#13 N1111

N1111
  • 84 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 08:59 PM

Do you go to a clinic in Ontario?

#14 happyfrog

happyfrog
  • 80 posts
  • My Clinic:Invicta

Posted 30 August 2020 - 10:01 AM

He is prepping me for fresh in case I need to do this but my ultimate goal is frozen. I unfortunately only got one embryo. I am pretty dissappointed. I am planning on doing another cycle though. I may freeze and do another one. I will do a fresh if embryo isnt developing well or may not make the freeze.

I think, the solution your doc is preparing you is one the most optimal.